20/20 Cricket........

peter9
Youth Team Regular

Jun 14, 2008, 1:55 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 23 (9898 views)
Shortcut
20/20 Cricket........ Can't Post or Reply Privately

Maybe I'm just getting old but.....................

Went to my first 20/20 cricket last night England v New Zealand @ Old Trafford and despite the sellout crowd and the ticket prices was stunned at how many people go yet seem totally uninterested in the actual product they are supposedly paying to watch !

Rather than watch the cricket, it's up for something to eat, 5 minutes later up for drink, 5 minutes later toilet time etc......lets do fancy dress so - you've got drunken guys dressed as women calling their "mates" gay........!!!!!!

The match itself was not a "classic" as despite being quite decent in the field the New Zealand side did rather poorly with the bat and I don't think one of their bowlers beat any English batsman during the innings....the one wicket to fall being a good catch in the deep outfield.

Have found this attitude too at supposedly top flight football and rugby league were people are happy to pay top wack prices yet seem barely interested in what is actually happening on the pitch.......give me Non-League Football and County Cricket anyday !!!! It seems you can get more passion with small crowds who are actually there to watch the football, cricket, rugby rather than some of the bigger "media" events which in my mind are in danger of becoming "Circus's attended by a large section of the required Clown's".

(This post was edited by peter9 on Jun 14, 2008, 3:37 PM)

StokePriorAndy
First Team Star

Jun 14, 2008, 2:45 PM

Team(s): Bromsgrove Sporting, Bromsgrove Rovers, Tottenham H, Gainsborough Trinity

Post #2 of 23 (9892 views)
Shortcut
Re: [peter9] 20/20 Cricket........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I do think 20/20 is in danger of getting over-killed. KP said today he thinks 50 overs one day games will die out and he could be right given the money is now going to 20/20 but to me it just seems like a bit of a fun thrash around and results are really more down to luck than skill. It's just a throw the bat thrash and the team that gets most luck with balls dropping short of fielders rather than being caught tends to be the one that wins. There's also the problem that winning the toss can decide a game and sometimes theres little point playing cricket once the coin has been flipped.

And as for Duckworth Lewis, it just doesn't work in 20/20, at all. It's bad enough in other forms of 1 day cricket as it confuses the punters but in 20/20 it confuses the hell out of everyone. How can a team batting second chasing one total end up chasing a higher one when it rains during their innings? It's rubbish!

Ribbit
Youth Team Regular

Jun 15, 2008, 4:00 PM

Post #3 of 23 (9811 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StokePriorAndy] 20/20 Cricket........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Quite why the ECB seem to think 20Twenty needs all the gimmicks they throw at it, I don't know. Haven't they even had jacuuzi's at matches before?
I haven't really got any interest in cricket, but I watched a few of the 20/20 World Cup games and some of the Caribbean 20/20 Cup and they were interesting enough, without the need for gimmicks. If I were even tempted to watch a match live, all the extras would probably put me off.

(This post was edited by Ribbit on Jun 15, 2008, 4:01 PM)

PonteCarlo
First Team Star

Jun 16, 2008, 12:58 PM

Team(s): Grimsby Town, Pontefract Collieries

Post #4 of 23 (9773 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ribbit] 20/20 Cricket........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I actually went to a 20/20 game the same day as the England one. I was at Headingley to see Yorkshire v Nottinghamshire, for some reason we are continually rubbish at 20/20. Every other team seems to go for it whereas Yorkshire players just seem to like to play it steady most of the time. Nevertheless, 2 days later they win at Derbyshire? Must be one of the most unpredictable sports as form doesn't really come into the reckoning.

And speaking of jacuzzis...they had a competition at Headingley, if you put your business card into a draw and it won, you got to spend the whole of the Leicestershire game in the hot tub with 4 bikini clad girls. Now I know sometimes gimmicks can be bad, but I think this one needs championing at every cricket ground!!!

Back to the subject matter, it does seem like 20/20 is on a bit of an overkill at the moment. The Yorkshire chief exec/director/whichever he's called said there seems to be far too much of it. Personally, in my view it seems they've packed it into the season in as short a space as possible. Would be nice to have it varied so you can have a CC match through the week, a 20/20 on a Friday and a one day game on the Sunday. Then start the next CC match on the following Tuesday rather than pack everything into short little spells.

Proud spectator of real football.

Hop, hop, hopping on heaven's door

Ribbit
Youth Team Regular

Jun 16, 2008, 2:00 PM

Post #5 of 23 (9765 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PonteCarlo] 20/20 Cricket........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Those cricketers certainly earn their money, that's all I can say.

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 16, 2008, 2:06 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 23 (9763 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PonteCarlo] 20/20 Cricket........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The spreading of fixtures might happen when all counties have a floodlit ground.

Until then you need to cram it all in to one month of the longer evenings as the aim is to attract the after work crowd.

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Jun 16, 2008, 4:05 PM

Post #7 of 23 (9754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] 20/20 Cricket........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I went to my first (and last) 20/twenty match last week and walked out at the interval. It was awful. Where I went had obviously never been touched by Weight Watchers as the number of morbidly obese women and their equally fat children took over everything but the game in the middle. The fried "food" stalls were doing a roaring trade as the sweet little things stuffed their fat mouths with junk while their fathers (if they were their fathers - who knows?) tried to down as many glasses of beer as their fat stomachs would allow. It was a dreadful thought that this is supposed to be the future of the game of cricket.

jimmyjazz
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 17, 2008, 9:46 PM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 23 (9663 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] 20/20 Cricket........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I went to my 1st. ever twenty/20 (in fact my first first-class cricket match )this evening and thoroughly enjoyed it. Agree though that the game is too short to be taken seriously, I can see it becoming more popular but there will always be room and followers for the one-day and test versions.

Incidentally it finished Northants 171-4, Gloucs 170-7. Gloucs batted first obviously.

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Jun 17, 2008, 10:18 PM

Post #9 of 23 (9658 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MKJames] 20/20 Cricket........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sir. The "match" you went to was NOT first-class and never will be. Proper cricket is played in white clothing with a red ball and does not have music, hordes of feral children running riot nor the players in dug outs. Shame on you for suggesting such a thing.

jimmyjazz
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 18, 2008, 6:18 AM

Team(s):

Post #10 of 23 (9643 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] 20/20 Cricket........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If it takes squad numbers and the playing of Kool & The Gangs 'Celebration' to get me interested so be it.Wink

I know you purists aren't fond of the coloured kits and the party atmosphere, but it's still basically cricket, and as there were players on show who I actually recognised and have heard of, it'll do for me.

My apologies for upsetting you Mr. Cavendish.

coops
First Team Sub

Jun 18, 2008, 12:12 PM

Team(s): Tamworth

Post #11 of 23 (9610 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Sir. The "match" you went to was NOT first-class and never will be. Proper cricket is played in white clothing with a red ball and does not have music, hordes of feral children running riot nor the players in dug outs. Shame on you for suggesting such a thing.

I agree...to a point.

My son hated cricket, wouldn't even contemplate a day at Edgbaston or anywhere else.
Until I took him to a Twenty20 game, he loved it. Yes it was horible for me, yes there were kids and over-excited adults everywhere, but it got my son hooked.
He will now sit and watch the Tests on telly and has been with me to County games and one-dayers and sat happily discussing the finer arts of the forward defensive and the need to employ a fine leg against a determined sweeper. He also bowls a decent off-break and can bat nicely in the middle order. None of this would have happened without Twenty20 because he would never have got into the game at all.

The authorities just have to be careful with the balance of this baseball and the proper game that's all.

Ribbit
Youth Team Regular

Jun 19, 2008, 12:39 PM

Post #12 of 23 (9572 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coops] 20/20 Cricket........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't think I could sit and watch a test match. I haven't got the patience to watch someone just touch the ball with his bat and barely running at all. It seems so slow. That's why I like 20/20. It's fast and relatively exciting and I can pretend to know what's going on. That's always a bonus.

buncranaboy

Jun 19, 2008, 1:42 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #13 of 23 (9561 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ribbit] 20/20 Cricket........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tricky one - I enjoy both the long and short forms of cricket though I've never attended more than one day of any test match or county championship match. Trying to convince non-believers that watching one fifth of a match (nearly always not the deciding bit either) is worthwhile can be difficult sometimes. The appeal of one-day cricket is that one can see the whole game, for better or worse.
Mind you, there are some "hoppers" who count watching 20 minutes of matches before moving on................

sonofhod
Deleted

Jun 19, 2008, 1:56 PM

Team(s):

Post #14 of 23 (9557 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] 20/20 Cricket........ [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Tricky one - I enjoy both the long and short forms of cricket though I've never attended more than one day of any test match or county championship match. Trying to convince non-believers that watching one fifth of a match (nearly always not the deciding bit either) is worthwhile can be difficult sometimes. The appeal of one-day cricket is that one can see the whole game, for better or worse.
Mind you, there are some "hoppers" who count watching 20 minutes of matches before moving on................

Not like you to sit on the fence Paddy. Name and shame.

buncranaboy

Jun 19, 2008, 2:02 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #15 of 23 (9553 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sonofhod] 20/20 Cricket........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well there was a chap from Merseyside, I think, who detailed visiting 4 grounds on the Welsh Coast one day last season - I think the article was in Welsh Soccer. I puzzled awhile thinking I'd missed a trick as, at the time, I needed Tywyn and Machynlleth - can't recall what the others were that he visited.....................but it transpired that he watched a quarter of an hour or so and drove on to the next ground.
Chacun a son gout, I suppose....................

John Treleven

Jun 19, 2008, 2:25 PM

Team(s):

Post #16 of 23 (9548 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] 20/20 Cricket........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I reckon to watch a session (usually 2 hours) as a minimum which is similar in length to football. You can usually see all the local features either side of that
and it enables you to "tick" two in a day

sonofhod
Deleted

Jun 19, 2008, 2:55 PM

Team(s):

Post #17 of 23 (9540 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] 20/20 Cricket........ [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Well there was a chap from Merseyside, I think, who detailed visiting 4 grounds on the Welsh Coast one day last season - I think the article was in Welsh Soccer. I puzzled awhile thinking I'd missed a trick as, at the time, I needed Tywyn and Machynlleth - can't recall what the others were that he visited.....................but it transpired that he watched a quarter of an hour or so and drove on to the next ground.
Chacun a son gout, I suppose....................

Heathen, no grave accent or circumflex. Tut-tut.

(This post was edited by sonofhod on Jun 19, 2008, 2:57 PM)

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 20, 2008, 10:25 AM

Post #18 of 23 (9482 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] 20/20 Cricket........ [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
I reckon to watch a session (usually 2 hours) as a minimum which is similar in length to football. You can usually see all the local features either side of that
and it enables you to "tick" two in a day

My cricket "ticks" amout to the Oval - New Zealand v West Indies 1975 world cup, The Parks - Oxford Univ v India 1975, Imran Kahn was playing for the University and we got an afternoon off school if we were in the Cricket team to watch the game and Lancs v Northants I watch a session before England played South Africa at Old Trafford (MUFC version) about ten years ago.

Chris1963

Jun 20, 2008, 5:49 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #19 of 23 (9454 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coops] 20/20 Cricket........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As someone who has been to Lords fairly regularly for Middlesex games since 1977, I have to say that 20/20 games at Lords are not attended by the normal type of spectators, but City boys in suits who spend the evening quaffing champagne, yes, even in the public stands! I suspect that these people do not normally go to cricket matches. None of them buy scorecards or programmes and one one Middlesex player was dismissed for 53 he was met with stony silence as he walked back to the pavilion, whereas in any other competition there would have been applause. I find myself hating these people intensely and it is their presence that has led me to consider boycotting these games at Lords altogether. To be fair though, I did become interested in cricket mainly through watching the 40 over John Player Sunday League on BBC2 when young and I suppose it did get the same sort of response from people who were in their mid-40's then. I do suppose that if more kids start following cricket then at least there is some justification for it.

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Jun 20, 2008, 5:50 PM)

Seagull
First Team Star

Jun 20, 2008, 10:04 PM

Post #20 of 23 (9435 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] 20/20 Cricket........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I went to the Finals day at Edgbaston a couple of years or so back and whilst I enjoyed the cricket immensely (I've been a player and fan since I was old enough to catch a ball), the crowd really put me off, especially by the time the final came around and at least 50% of it had simply had too much sun and alcohol.

What made things worse was that there were "official" mexican wave starters in Edbaston garb. One of them plonked his arse down in the aisle a couple of rows down from me, as near to behind the bowlers arm as you could get and said "come on, let's get a cheeky mexican wave going". I was staggered to say the least that we were being encouraged to do such moronic and banal activities whilst the on field entertainment was as good as it was.

One or two of the older "heads" around muttered under their breath, but I just told him straight out that I hadn't paid 35 for one of the best seats in the house to prat about for the benefit of the brain dead, beer soaked and the telly viewers, nor would the batsmen appreciate a bloody mexican wave starting almost immediately behind the bowlers arm. I then firmly but politely requested that he kindly f***** off and leave those us who appreciated the SPORT alone to enjoy the games. If wanted to act like a tw*t there's always Big Brother he could enter. After a few seconds stunned silence he quietly shuffled off, ashened faced, whlst a few of the older fans actually stood and applauded my rant Blush. Needless to say I stick to watching 20/20 on the box now and haven't been back since.

Sadly, my last day out at the Test (at OT v West Indies) wasn't much better, with half the crowd wrecked before lunch and Man Utd/Leeds rivalries the order of the day, with little attention paid to the game.

My most enjoyable time at cricket in recent times was watching Read in the Lancs League, in the drizzle, with two teams and a wise and knowledgable crowd enjoying a spirited contest in testing conditions.

I still love the game, but I detest what the corporates have done to it and the crowd it now attracts.

chrisby
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 21, 2008, 11:54 AM

Team(s): Oxford City, Bridgwater Town.

Post #21 of 23 (9385 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Seagull] 20/20 Cricket........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Oh good ... it's not just me being a grouch!
I went to a live 20/20 match for the first time last weekend and found myself quite out of touch with large sections of the crowd with a dozen Elvis lookalikes; 10 Noddies (+3 Big Ears); a smattering of Freddy Mercuries etc. intent on getting completely wasted in as short a time as possible. And as for the music blasted out after every 4, 6, end-of-over; wicket; incoming batsman, etc., I would willingly have put my foot through the nearest loud (and I do mean loud)speaker after about two hours of the same tunes over and over again.!
I'll stick to county (i.e. 3 or 4-day) matches in future!
Oh, and Somerset LOSTUnsure.

peter9
Youth Team Regular

Jun 21, 2008, 1:35 PM

Team(s):

Post #22 of 23 (9375 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisby] 20/20 Cricket........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks to Chris 1963, Seagull and Chrisby..........I'm glad I'm not alone, I actually went back to Old Trafford 4 days later for the 20/20 group match against Durham (pre bought a 12 ticket on E Bay for 2.55 inc p+p !!!), smaller crowd, less "Richard Heads" and a entertaining game (even if Durham did win............some BIG hitting).....and YES I did ENJOY it !!

My original point was though and the last 3 guys have proved it's not just a Lancashire/Northern disorder.....why do people pay 35 and upwards (England Internationals) for something they clearly have NO interest in ???

My next planned Old Trafford visit is July v Hampshire LVCC 4 day match.....hope to get 2 days in, enjoy the cricket , relax and not a bl**dy Mexican Wave in sight !!!!!Sly

(This post was edited by peter9 on Jun 21, 2008, 1:40 PM)

VP

Jun 21, 2008, 9:27 PM

Post #23 of 23 (9338 views)
Shortcut
Re: [peter9] 20/20 Cricket........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
My original point was though and the last 3 guys have proved it's not just a Lancashire/Northern disorder.....why do people pay 35 and upwards (England Internationals) for something they clearly have NO interest in ???

It's the place to be seen. I go to two or three Twenty20 matches at the Oval each year and it's very much the same as Chris1963's experiences at Lord's. Loads of city folk who look like rejects from The Apprentice who spend most of the time not actually watching the game.

The games I've been to have had smaller attendances this year for some reason. In the past nearly every Twenty20 game at the Oval has been a sell-out. This season there have been a few thousand empty seats.
Is it the so-called 'credit crunch'? Has the initial excitement of this competition worn off? Are people stopping going because of the type of people who do go? Or is it just that Surrey are rubbish this season?

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3