First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 38 Next page Last page  View All

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 28, 2008, 2:12 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #1 of 926 (82900 views)
Shortcut
Sports presenters mistakes Can't Post or Reply Privately

One of the things that drives me nuts is the frequency with which sports presenters, commentators and other so-called experts come up with stats and facts that are completely wrong.
Being well paid to do a job that many sports fans would love to have (me included once upon a time) and having sod all else to do except make sure that what they are telling us holds a modicum of truth, I'm regularly astounded as to how often they just seem to make it up as they go along........and I'm sure other posters will come up with some gems of their own.

Some of their ignorance is of course due to the fact that football didn't exist before Sky and the Premiership but since then so much football has been televised that you'd think the salient facts would sink in.
In the last week alone I've seen a CL match introduced featuring the Romanian champions Steaua Bucharest (NO THEY'RE NOT) and another featuring Champions League newcomers AAB Aalborg (NOT SO - THEY WERE THERE IN 1995).
Alan Curbishley told Setanta viewers last night how unfortunate Steve McMahon had been in his time as England manager although Setanta's best moment of the week (so far) came when the Italian Serie A table showed Hucknall Town propping up the rest. Not surprisingly I suppose given the disparity in budgets.Crazy
I think it was Motty who pointed out at the Emirates last week that Everton hadn't won "on this ground" since sometime well before the stadium was even conceived.
And as for the presenting fools who try to banter and exchange facts and opinions with Steve Claridge a couple of evenings a week - it's surely only a matter of time before Claridge takes a very deep sigh and lamps one of them. Hopefully live.
Hopefully this will become an active thread with people adding the most recent howlers............over to you !

bezza
Youth Team Regular

Oct 28, 2008, 5:38 PM

Post #2 of 926 (82877 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I can remember in a champions league game around the late 1990's involving Valencia and possibly Man utd.
Ron Atkinson continually referred to their french defender Jocelyn Angloma as Josimar who was a Brazillian fullback from the 86 and 90 world cup.

If it aint broke don't fix it

jrev61
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 28, 2008, 7:54 PM

Team(s): None

Post #3 of 926 (82862 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bezza] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

David Pleat's complete lack of knowledge of recent Czech history in the European Championship refering to the Czech Republic as Czechoslovakia then later on the Czechoslovak Republic.
The (in)famous Archie MacPherson once praised Russian defender Karpin a few seconds later he was sent off for a terrible challenge. A fine example of the curse of the commentator.

buncranaboy

Oct 29, 2008, 1:44 PM

Post #4 of 926 (82814 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Jimmy Greaves in the "good old days" of Saint and Greavesie with microphone in hand on the pitch somewhere informing Saint that the manager he'd come to interview was almost ready and he hoped to be "incommunicado with him in just a couple of minutes".
Sigh.................

dB>
Youth Team Star

Oct 29, 2008, 10:17 PM

Team(s): The Underdog

Post #5 of 926 (82792 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Must admit that Pleat is my all time least favourite 'expert', and it's not uncommon for me to turn over if he's prattling on in his lovely, ill-informed, patronising manner. It still grates when he refers to Ruud Gullit, and has his name rhyming with mullet.

Frank/Gary
Deleted

Oct 29, 2008, 10:44 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 926 (82787 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dB>] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or

Was it Brian Moore who described Asa Hartford as a whole-hearted player?

2008/2009

48 games

Last game: Newcastle United 2 Spurs 1 (Premiership) 21/12/2008

9 new grounds

Last new ground: Reyrolle Sports & Social Ground, Hebburn Reyrolle

Heaton Winstons' League Campaign: P13 W6 D3 L4 F38 A30 GD+8 Pts 21 Pos 4/16

Last game: Grindon Vets 0 Winstons 3

"The waiter's stacking the chairs"

Grecian
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 30, 2008, 3:57 PM

Team(s): Exeter City, Bath City, Alphington, Tottenham Hotspur

Post #7 of 926 (82751 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

On a similar theme, I have often been irritated by certain style of stats that are banded around and sound shocking or surprising, but on closer inspection, are really not and are either deliberately, or mistakenly, misleading in the scenario the present.

An example of a normal 'surprising' stat was one often quoted in November 2006, when Spurs beat champions Chelsea 2-1 in the league. The stat, mentioned frequently in match reports, was that prior to that match, Spurs hadn't beaten Chelsea for 16 years (1-2 in 1990). This kind of stat I don't mind, as it has some meaning; Spurs would have played Chelsea home and away for those 16 seasons (both teams in the PL for the span of the stat) as well as in several cup games,

In comparison, similar sounding 'surprising' stats become quite meaningless when they are given some historic context. For example, either last season or the season before, a commentator highlighted the really 'surprising' stat that Portsmouth hadn't won at Old Trafford in the league in nearly 50 years (0-3 in 1957). However, while true, comparing the history of the two clubs, at the time there had only been 6 or 7 league matches at Old Trafford between the two clubs since 1957, making the stat much less 'surprising' than if there had been 50 or so matches, as the original wording makes out.

The worst of these was in the Arsenal - Hull match earlier this season, where several commentators and reports pointed out that Hull's win was their first against Arsenal in the league since 1915. Again, although true, it makes it sound like Hull had drawn or lost 90 years worth of league matches against Arsenal, rather than that Hull and Arsenal had not played any league matches against each other since 1915.

Equally irritating are Similar comments, heard particularly near the start of a season, such as 'team so-and-so have not conceded a goal in the premiership yet this season' and 'Joe Bloggs has scored in every match this season' are heard after only 2 rounds of fixtures, where the time frame of the stat is so short as to remove any significance from it.

KnowYourMarket

Oct 30, 2008, 10:19 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #8 of 926 (82727 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Grecian] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

On Setanta tonight the commentator said "Crawley's first corner of the game". They were about to take a throw in!

Last ground visited: Rochester United. Avg Goal 15/16: 4.43 Avg att 15/16: 392. New grounds 15/16: 37

dB>
Youth Team Star

Oct 31, 2008, 12:41 AM

Team(s): The Underdog

Post #9 of 926 (82706 views)
Shortcut
Re: [modelhobbies] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sky Sports are a constant source for meaningless stats, especially the 'rolling' on-screen headlines and facts presented on match days.
Another gripe of sorts, and this one frequently perpetuated by fans, is to describe a certain club as a 'bogey' side. Fans will trot this out even if refering to a game played well over a decade previously when, by and large, all personnel, officials, even stadia were different with little connection to the current situation.

D.L.T.B.G.Y.D.

buncranaboy

Oct 31, 2008, 12:52 PM

Post #10 of 926 (82680 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dB>] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Unintentionally funniest of all are the Eurosport bulletins which seem to be overdubbed by someone who's seeing the footage in question for the first time.........before usually getting cut off in mid-sentence. Puts me in mind of Alan Partridge at his finest.

Then there's the round-up on programmes like Goalissimo where an obviously ignorant presenter tries to summarise the effect that the matches have had on the table........by telling us that, for example, Elfsborg drop to second. That would be from the second place they occupied the previous week then, as a cursory look at the table in question will reveal.

Tivvy_Al
First Team Sub

Nov 2, 2008, 11:26 PM

Post #11 of 926 (82625 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or

I have the highlights from the Brazilian Grand Prix on now... twice inside the first 20 laps the commentator has said 'if the race finished now Massa would be Champion', which isn't correct as any race that finished before 75% sees only half points awarded.

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

buncranaboy

Nov 4, 2008, 12:55 PM

Post #12 of 926 (82578 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tivvy_Al] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Five Live are not usually too bad by comparison in the gaffe-table . I only listened to the Newcastle-Villa game last night for about half-an-hour and couldn't believe it as a string of incorrect facts were lazily trotted out.

1 "Surprisingly Villa haven't been able to score yet as, until last week, Newcastle had conceded at least 2 goals in every match". NOT TRUE - Opening day 1-1 at Old Trafford
2 "A Newcastle win will take them off the bottom above WBA but still behind Wigan and Bolton on goal difference"
NO - DO THE MATHS AGAIN
3 "The table is now so tight that if Newcastle were to win on Saturday they would be only 4 points behind Hull"
NO - DO THE MATHS AGAIN

And there were others which I can't recall at the moment though disappointingly there were no pellanties.

bezza
Youth Team Regular

Nov 4, 2008, 1:14 PM

Post #13 of 926 (82576 views)
Shortcut

One of Motty's biggest howlers was the last 16 world cup match in 2002 between Spain and rep of Ireland. Spain had used all 3 subs and another player went off injured at the start of extra time. He failed to notice that Spain were playing extra time with 10 men and it was never mentioned for the rest of the commentary

If it aint broke don't fix it

buncranaboy

Nov 5, 2008, 1:33 PM

Post #14 of 926 (82515 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Five Live are not usually too bad by comparison in the gaffe-table . I only listened to the Newcastle-Villa game last night for about half-an-hour and couldn't believe it as a string of incorrect facts were lazily trotted out.

1 "Surprisingly Villa haven't been able to score yet as, until last week, Newcastle had conceded at least 2 goals in every match". NOT TRUE - Opening day 1-1 at Old Trafford
2 "A Newcastle win will take them off the bottom above WBA but still behind Wigan and Bolton on goal difference"
NO - DO THE MATHS AGAIN
3 "The table is now so tight that if Newcastle were to win on Saturday they would be only 4 points behind Hull"
NO - DO THE MATHS AGAIN

And there were others which I can't recall at the moment though disappointingly there were no pellanties.

I just remembered the other good one was during the discussion with our studio host after the game when he speculated on where that left things with more than 1/3 or the season now gone. Have I missed a couple of rounds of matches then or have 4 teams been expelled from the league overnight ?

Last nights coverage saw further examples of this laziness - do the voiceover men actualy earn money for what they do ?
Anyway - Setanta's hour long review of the Bundesliga which I do enjoy but shall in future be sorely tempted to watch with the sound off, or even while chatting to the missus. Hoffenheim vs Karlsruhe was more than once referred to as a battle between two of the newly promoted sides. NO IT IS NOT !
Whilst one of the managers during the Dortmund vs Bochum game was referred to as "The most-capped coach that you'll ever see in the Bundesliga so far". Huh ?

And finally nobody amongst ITV's finest (splutters) even hinted that the late consolation scored by John Terry in Rome might actually be quite important should those 2 sides finish level on points.........

Aaaaaaarrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 5, 2008, 11:36 PM

Post #15 of 926 (82482 views)
Shortcut

Last night, when Atletico kicked the ball over the Liverpool goal straight from the restart after the penalty, Clive Tyldesley informed us that a kick-off is an indirect kick and so if the ball had gone in it wouldn't have been a goal MadMad

sjj2112
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 7, 2008, 10:50 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alexandra, Nantwich Town, Ashford Town (Middx), Venezia

Post #16 of 926 (82413 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In ITV's coverage of the Man City v FC Twente game, just after Twente scored their second, the commentator said "At 3-2 Twente have matched the score from the last time they played on this ground against the likes of Bell & Summerby"

I bet it's news to those guys that they played at the CoM Stadium!

I'm a man of many anoraks.....

coops
First Team Sub

Nov 7, 2008, 11:11 AM

Team(s): Tamworth

Post #17 of 926 (82410 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sjj2112] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Channel Five's coverage of the Slavia - Villa match had the comment "That's the first away goal Villa have scored since their game at The Hawthorns in September."
The four they scored at Wigan two weeks ago didn't count then?

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Nov 9, 2008, 8:00 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #18 of 926 (82317 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coops] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yesterday on 5 Live one of the commentators stated that we would be able to watch highlights of the FA Cup on Match of The Day that evening. I didnt realise that the BBC had got them back overnight !! Watched the highlights on ITV and also watched the Bees win todays live game also on ITV !!

Mr Merryweather
Deleted

Nov 20, 2008, 5:25 PM

Team(s):

Post #19 of 926 (82175 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or

But surely one of the best was Sky's "........... they'll be dancing in the streets of Raith tonight" after the league cup win over Celtic.

Tivvy_Al
First Team Sub

Nov 20, 2008, 10:45 PM

Post #20 of 926 (82153 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr Merryweather] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or

I understand that Jeff Stirling will often spoof the above comment, specifically "dancing in the streets of Airbus/TNS/etc..."

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Richard Rundle

Nov 20, 2008, 10:50 PM

Post #21 of 926 (82151 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr Merryweather] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
But surely one of the best was Sky's "........... they'll be dancing in the streets of Raith tonight" after the league cup win over Celtic.

Surely that predates Sky considerably, so if it was used on Sky it must have been with a huge chunk of irony?

--
Richard

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 20, 2008, 11:04 PM

Post #22 of 926 (82144 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Surely that predates Sky considerably, so if it was used on Sky it must have been with a huge chunk of irony?

Exactly. The original quote, which was a mistake, must date back to the 60s/70s.

Darren Lovell
First Team Star

Nov 21, 2008, 11:45 AM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #23 of 926 (82096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Exactly. The original quote, which was a mistake, must date back to the 60s/70s.

I believe it was one of the original "Colemanballs" from the man himself on Grandstand. I also think it was in the 60's.

Grounds Visited 281
Last New Ground: Newhaven
Last Game: Newhaven 1-0 Horsham YMCA
Southern Combination Premier Division 25.03.17
Games In Season 2016-17: 60
New Grounds This Season: 13
Goals This Season: 174
Ave goals per game: 2.90

mr creosote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 1, 2008, 3:36 PM

Team(s): Grays Athletic, Haverhill Rovers

Post #24 of 926 (81967 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Darren Lovell] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Was it me, or did I hear the commentator at the Histon/Leeds game say that the Argentinian connection in English football goes back to the days of Ardilles and Kempes? Did I miss something?

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 1, 2008, 8:08 PM

Post #25 of 926 (81938 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mr creosote] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Looks like you missed Valencia's spell in the English league in the late 70s ..... strange, so did I.

And yes, you did hear correctly.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 38 Next page Last page  View All

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3