FA Vase questions

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

May 12, 2009, 11:13 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #1 of 14 (3189 views)
Shortcut
FA Vase questions Can't Post or Reply Privately

How long have floodlights been a requirement for the FA Vase? For instance I was suprised to learn that Farleigh Rovers from the CC league (who don't have floodlights) were in the FA Vase years ago and that teams from the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man also used to participate. As a fairly recent convert to the non league scene I would be quite interested to know a bit more about the history of this fascinating competition which I understand replaced the Amateur Cup

coupwotcoup
First Team Star

May 12, 2009, 2:12 PM

Post #2 of 14 (3153 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] FA Vase questions [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think it has been around ten years since floodlights were necessary to enter all the FA Comps. When the Vase first began it was almost a case of jumpers for goalposts being adequate. And it was that long ago you had teams in the same division playing in the Trophy and the Vase. Now of course everything is standardised - more or less.

Pre-1970 football programmes wanted. Good prices paid for good condition collections. Have thousands for sale, League and Non League. PM with wants lists or for quotes. Especially required pre-1978 Romford home and aways, plus FA Trophy programmes from any rounds from seasons 69-70 and 70-1.

SuperKev!
First Team Star

May 12, 2009, 2:18 PM

Post #3 of 14 (3147 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coupwotcoup] FA Vase questions [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It was quite a few years ago now. If I recall correctly, Steve Clark, the FA Competitions Secretary, was also Secretary of Netherne FC at the time and had to kick himself out of the competition!

coupwotcoup
First Team Star

May 12, 2009, 2:21 PM

Post #4 of 14 (3142 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SuperKev!] FA Vase questions [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I remember talking to Clarky about that at the time!

Pre-1970 football programmes wanted. Good prices paid for good condition collections. Have thousands for sale, League and Non League. PM with wants lists or for quotes. Especially required pre-1978 Romford home and aways, plus FA Trophy programmes from any rounds from seasons 69-70 and 70-1.

acmold

May 12, 2009, 2:40 PM

Post #5 of 14 (3132 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coupwotcoup] FA Vase questions [In reply to] Can't Post or

1996/97 was that the last season ?.

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

May 12, 2009, 10:09 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 14 (3058 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] FA Vase questions [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

1997-98 was the last season for First Tower United (Jersey) who do not have lights (the ground is too close to the airport) and who declined to play
their Vase matches at Springfield (in St. Helier)

acmold

May 13, 2009, 8:58 AM

Post #7 of 14 (3017 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] FA Vase questions [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
1997-98 was the last season for First Tower United (Jersey) who do not have lights (the ground is too close to the airport) and who declined to play
their Vase matches at Springfield (in St. Helier)

Were "offshore" teams not given a dispensation for a year or two, looking at the results from the Vase the last mainland teams without lights appear to be 96/7.

As an aside I went to First Tower in 96/7 and they played on their own ground, but they had Springfield (?) as a back-up in case their own ground was unfit.

John Treleven

May 13, 2009, 9:04 AM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 14 (3014 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] FA Vase questions [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Possibly that was the case, I was not here permanently then.

Springfield was a back up then but they decided not to use it as a "home" for the Vase when La Hague was no longer "allowed"

coupwotcoup
First Team Star

May 13, 2009, 1:53 PM

Post #9 of 14 (2974 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] FA Vase questions [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I know a few Scottish sides appeared in the Vase in its formative years, but didn't a team from the Isle of Man compete at some stage too? Black Douglas United? Cool

buncranaboy

May 13, 2009, 2:09 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #10 of 14 (2969 views)
Shortcut

Douglas High School Old Boys. Bit of a mouthful but then, Old Boys are well used to that.Shocked

coupwotcoup
First Team Star

May 13, 2009, 2:18 PM

Post #11 of 14 (2967 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] FA Vase questions [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cool

BillShep
Junior Team Star

Mar 23, 2018, 4:40 PM

Team(s): City of Liverpool FC

Post #12 of 14 (2268 views)
Shortcut

Just found this thread...
I was looking at some archived NWCFL results and noticed that Douglas High School Old Boys played against Salford City in October 1992. Then I looked on FCHD and saw that they played 5 games in 1989-90 which included a tie against St.Dominics which took 3 replays to resolve. 2-2, 4-4, 5-5 then finally losing 4-1.
First Tower United from Jersey which was Jack Walkers other club also played in the FA Vase from 1978-79 where they eventually got beaten by St.Martins from Guernsey.
I think I'll have a longer look at this and see what I can come up with...

----------------------------------------------------------
North West Counties Premier Division 2018/19

City of Liverpool FC - Debut season 2016/17

45th ground watching CoLFC - Brookburn Road, West Didsbury & Chorlton
Latest new ground, 71st - Heron Eccles Sports Hub, CoLFC U19's

John Treleven

Mar 23, 2018, 6:36 PM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 14 (2239 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BillShep] FA Vase questions [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

First Tower United played until Vase rules insisted on a club having floodlights. They could not have them at St. Georges School as it is located near the airport and they decided against moving their matches to Springfield.

leohoenig
Administrator

Mar 23, 2018, 11:41 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #14 of 14 (2150 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] FA Vase questions [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The FA Vase records of First Tower United, Vale Recreation, St. Martins and Douglas High School Old Boys are all to be found on http://www.fchd.info
I cannot remember if this is the full set of Channel Island and Manx teams that have participated, prior to Guernsey FC joining the pyramid

Richard (of this parish) has also included the Northern Irish and Scottish entries in the FA Cup

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3