Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
A musical interlude........

First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next page Last page  View All

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

May 27, 2019, 10:48 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #401 of 411 (2584 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] A musical interlude........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thursday May 23rd at O2 Academy Birmingham : Manic Street Preachers. Admission £43; Attendance : 3,000 ausverkauft

Been quite a few years since I last saw the Manics and I did wonder what kind/size of audience they'd pull - a raucous full house is what we got, underlying the enduring appeal of a band that have never really been mainstream or hip and who are rarely spoken about in reverential terms. Nevertheless they have been going since 1986 though it wasn't till after the disappearance of guitarist Richey Edwards in 1995 that they hit the big time with a number of anthemic singles and albums; this tour was the 20th anniversary of chart topping album "This is my Truth, Tell me Yours" which was played in full for the first half of the set, the running order amended to conclude with the No 1 single "If you Tolerate this, then your Children will be next". A great start with "Everlasting" and "You Stole the Sun from My Heart" among a couple of blander offerings.
The second half of the two hour set was a blast through the extensive back catalogue with "Motorcycle Emptiness", "You Love Us" and "Your Love alone is Not Enough" included before their ultimate anthem "A Design for Life" brought the curtain down on a very sweaty night
Shame about the knobheads in the crowd fighting ...and I do wish they'd sort the sound system out at the Academy. Apart from that...great show.

buncranaboy

Jun 9, 2019, 12:11 AM

Post #402 of 411 (2515 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] A musical interlude........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thursday May 30th - Resorts World Arena (NEC) - Mark Knopfler. Admission £63. Attendance : 14,000 est

I never got to see Dire Straits when they were en vogue but with this rumoured to be Knopfler's last tour - he will be 70 shortly - I thought it time to see one of our musical institutions while I had the chance, and what a good choice that was.
He has surrounded himself with wonderful musicians - there were 11 of them on stage - and he just glides effortlessly picking his guitar through a terrific set. I didn't know much at all of his non-DS stuff, not that it mattered and we did get 6 Dire Straits numbers thrown in - "Once Upon a Time in the West", "Romeo and Juliet", "Your Latest Trick", "On Every Street", a fantastic "Brothers in Arms" and the execrable "Money for Nothing".
Stand-out tracks for me were the opener "Why Aye Man" and the main set closer "Speedway at Nazareth", neither of which I knew but they were glorious. I've attached an older live version of Speedway at Nazareth with MK and Emmylou Harris which is also stunning as it builds and builds to a crescendo. We ended with Local Hero theme "Going Home" on a real feelgood high.
A privilege to have seem him and now onto the next one which promises to be a bit dfferent - Rammstein at Stadium MK in July

Why Aye Man - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrwSDX95wCs
Speedway at Nazareth - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs91er7AZmg

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 5, 2019, 8:55 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #403 of 411 (2400 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] A musical interlude........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wednesday 3 July
Belle and Sebastian @ Albert Hall, Manchester
Admission £32, no progs
Attendance: sold out

One of my favourite bands at one of my favourite venues, and a great evening. The Albert Hall, in Peter Street, opened as a Wesleyan Chapel in the early 1900s. The Chapel Hall itself was unused from 1969 until being reopened just a few years as a concert venue. It's well worth a visit.

Belle and Sebastian always put on a good show, although I much preferred this to the last time I saw them at all-seated gig (I may be getting old, but I'm not yet ready to sit down at gigs unless I have to). There are seats at the Albert Hall, for those who want than and who are prepared to arrive early enough to get one.

A band with a back catalogue spanning over 20 years plus, they have plenty of songs to choose from to keep everyone entertained, singing along and dancing (yes, even me Blush).

No point listing what they played; for one thing I wasn't taking notes and for another you're either familiar with the songs or not. For anyone not familiar and curious, one of my favourites they played was this (audience members joining the band on stage is a regular feature) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhfX7xzYGHw

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

(This post was edited by Steveb on Jul 5, 2019, 8:55 PM)

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 7, 2019, 9:44 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #404 of 411 (2356 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] A musical interlude........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 6th July 2019
Rammstein @ Stadium MK
Ticket: £65 plus add-ons
Crowd: sold out in less than an hour. About 20-25,000?

I'm going to struggle to find words to describe just how good this experience was. I'd seen them once previously, over 7 years ago at Manchester Arena, and I've been waiting patiently(ish) for them to tour the UK ever since. Just the one UK date on this mammoth European Stadium Tour, so I had to be there.

With 4 of us attending, I reckon this gig cost me around £500 including hotel and petrol. Really don't care, it was totally worth it and more. This was a stunning spectacle from start to finish, with the biggest stage rig I've ever seen, and pyrotechnics that would have given Red Adair palpitations. Rammstein don't just play concerts, they give total performances. This was a full-on 2.5 hour set that must have left the band exhausted. There is plenty of stuff on YouTube, but it struggles to do justice to the actual experience.

Highlights for me were Sonne (monster flamethrowers), Puppe (utterly insane and very disturbing) and Du Riechst So Gut (which had the whole crowd bouncing). A great mix of tracks from the new album and plenty of old favourites. At one point I found myself underneath a rubber dinghy holding two bandmembers (anyone who was there would know what I'm talking about).

One very minor gripe was the slowness of the queue for the merch. I was in it for an hour, but thankfully we had got there in plenty of time and didn't miss anything. Certainly didn't detract from the overall experience.

We were on such a high afterwards and all day today, that when we got home we booked to go and see them again next year in Denmark. Certainly not going to wait another 7 years. Bring it on!

buncranaboy

Jul 7, 2019, 11:41 PM

Post #405 of 411 (2334 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] A musical interlude........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday July 6th @ Stadium MK: Rammstein. Admission £55 plus fees etc

Also at this eye-popping performance though daughter No 1 and myself made a day-trip of it, parking about a mile away near the canalside Red Lion at Fenny Stratford. She's got Asbergers so didn't fancy standing though they'd left a generous amount of space for folk to take a breather from the madness of the mosh if they wished so we were in the upper tier behind the goal with a birds eye view of the mayhem beyond.
The stage rig was pure Mad Max and the pyrotechnics didn't come as a surprise as we'd seen extensive footage of recent shows, but still......I'd not seen the band before and, even though you know it was coming halfway through Du Hast, the sheer spectacle of lead singer Till shooting his blazing crossbow toward the flaming towers at the back which in turn fired rockets back at the stage which erupted in a blaze of light, breathtaking.
I didn't know any of the new stuff which comprised a sizeable chunk of the set but Puppe (as already mentioned) Tattoo and Deutschland made an impression. I'm not a huge fan of the new stripped down version of Engel as the original is one of my faves but by popping up after a brief break to deliver it from the smaller stage they made their way back to the main stage by dinghies above the heads of the mosh. Only Rammstein.....
I've seen hundreds of shows over the years but nothing like this; mesmeric, bewildering, jaw-dropping and above all great fun by a sextet who have performance art fine-tuned. Not everyone's cup of tea, I know, but so glad I made the effort.
Saw the queue for merch and quickly gave that neck instead parting with £12 for a burger and bottle of cider.
Despite most of the M1 being down to 50 coupled with the M6 closure round Coventry we got back to B32 before 1, still buzzing.........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5HAEzEk8QM

(This post was edited by buncranaboy on Jul 7, 2019, 11:43 PM)

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Star

Jul 16, 2019, 3:27 AM

Team(s): Kingstonian, Ipswich Town, Sheffield United, Rotherham United and East Fife

Post #406 of 411 (2237 views)
Shortcut

Sunday 14th July 2019
Rick Wakeman Journey to the Centre of the Earth. Final UK show.
Royal Festival Hall
Ticket £75 (extras picked up by my sponsor)
Programme £15, but included free CD
Attendance 2,900.

Returning to the venue of the first ever performance in 1974, but this time with the encore being as long as the whole show originally was at 36 minutes. With Journey, Return and some new tracks we had a nonstop 75-minute extravaganza before the encore; which was probably an alternative ending to the show judging by the narration accompanying it, ably presented by the diminutive Robert Powell.

I counted over 100 performers on stage with the Orchestra, Band and Chorale group plus conductor and 3 vocalists. Incredibly one of the chorus appeared in the original show as did vocalist Ashley Boult, who was as powerful as ever.

Guest vocalist was Alfie Boe, who initially seemed somewhat comedic as he rocked away with some of the more metal-based tracks. Once used to this he was quite brilliant, and it would be no surprise to see him sharing vocals with some top rock band soon. Very much like Adam Lambert and Paul Rodgers so, Queen anybody?

I’d first seen Rick at Birmingham Hippodrome in December 1973 with Yes; having spent a 3-hour lunch break queuing for tickets without being missed and have seen various incarnations at least 10 times and he never fails to hit the spot, but this was possibly his best.

So I’ll put this final ever programme with all my others including the 2014 Geoff Wayne final ever War of the Worlds at the O2 and 2002 Cher Farwell at the San Diego Arena (I was at Chargers v Broncos the same day; honestly), although in Rick’s case it is just Journey which he has said he is finishing with and not stopping touring as with the others.

Preshow Sambrooks White Gold was partaken in the Hole in the Wall, whilst at .£4.20 a pint, the Pig and Porter, Slave to the Money Bitter in the Waterloo Tap after the show was incredible value for this area.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 16, 2019, 2:50 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #407 of 411 (2177 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Main Drain Man] A musical interlude........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Sunday 14th July 2019
Rick Wakeman Journey to the Centre of the Earth. Final UK show.
Royal Festival Hall
Ticket £75 (extras picked up by my sponsor)
Programme £15, but included free CD
Attendance 2,900.

Returning to the venue of the first ever performance in 1974, but this time with the encore being as long as the whole show originally was at 36 minutes. With Journey, Return and some new tracks we had a nonstop 75-minute extravaganza before the encore; which was probably an alternative ending to the show judging by the narration accompanying it, ably presented by the diminutive Robert Powell.

I counted over 100 performers on stage with the Orchestra, Band and Chorale group plus conductor and 3 vocalists. Incredibly one of the chorus appeared in the original show as did vocalist Ashley Boult, who was as powerful as ever.

Guest vocalist was Alfie Boe, who initially seemed somewhat comedic as he rocked away with some of the more metal-based tracks. Once used to this he was quite brilliant, and it would be no surprise to see him sharing vocals with some top rock band soon. Very much like Adam Lambert and Paul Rodgers so, Queen anybody?

I’d first seen Rick at Birmingham Hippodrome in December 1973 with Yes; having spent a 3-hour lunch break queuing for tickets without being missed and have seen various incarnations at least 10 times and he never fails to hit the spot, but this was possibly his best.

So I’ll put this final ever programme with all my others including the 2014 Geoff Wayne final ever War of the Worlds at the O2 and 2002 Cher Farwell at the San Diego Arena (I was at Chargers v Broncos the same day; honestly), although in Rick’s case it is just Journey which he has said he is finishing with and not stopping touring as with the others.

Preshow Sambrooks White Gold was partaken in the Hole in the Wall, whilst at .£4.20 a pint, the Pig and Porter, Slave to the Money Bitter in the Waterloo Tap after the show was incredible value for this area.

Good to see Rick still performing. I thought he had stopped the live shows due to his health issues.

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Star

Jul 16, 2019, 6:55 PM

Team(s): Kingstonian, Ipswich Town, Sheffield United, Rotherham United and East Fife

Post #408 of 411 (2151 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] A musical interlude........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It was a continuation of his 70th birthday celebrations, which were in May. I hadn’t really thought in terms of his illness, but he looked to have some mobility issues when he wandered through the audience playing the keytar. I assumed this was owing to him concentrating on playing; whilst at the same time avoiding the roadies who were feeding the cable through ahead and behind him. He always looks gaunt too though.

He seemed full of life though, whilst in an in your face duelling keytars battle, with son Adam, which both seemed to really enjoy.

Ever the wag he delayed the start (hopper alert) to watch the final ball of the cricket world cup. As he explained, “When I heard they were showing a Golden Over, I assumed it was a documentary about my marriages”.Laugh

His next scheduled live appearance, according to the programme, is a Christmas Grumpy Old Men Tour, so it may well be that he has given up live music, other than this special birthday series.

(This post was edited by Main Drain Man on Jul 16, 2019, 7:01 PM)

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 18, 2019, 3:48 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #409 of 411 (396 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Main Drain Man] A musical interlude........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friday 15 August
Half Man Half Biscuit at The Devil's Arse Cave, Castleton, Peak District
Admission £30 ish. Attendance: hard to tell from where I was standing, but I think it was sold out

I don't often write up gigs attended on here, mainly a combination of laziness and the fact that few other forum members are likely to be interested in the music. But Half Man Half Biscuit have a certain crossover when it comes to football and groundhopping, and the venue was worthy of note.

The Devil's Arse is one of several caves that are on the Peak District tourist trail, and this summer it's also staging a series of concerts. I'm not sure if it's been a gig venue previously, if it has then it's passed me by.

The stage is set up towards the rear of the cave entrance, so the band face the 'light at the end of the tunnel'. There looked to be three adjacent audience areas, on different levels and with barriers in between (bit hard to tell it already pretty full by the time we arrived). A bar was set up at the back, close to the entrance.

The gravel surface was a bit unforgiving, and as we were close to the front I was grateful that the mosh pit wasn't anything like as lively as it can be at HMHB gigs.

The set list was great, plenty from the latest album but also spanning the years including some well-worn favourites from way back when, and a brilliant cover of Sound of the Suburbs. All in all a terrific night out at a great venue, and worth the Friday rush hour drive from Manchester.

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 30, 2019, 10:25 AM

Post #410 of 411 (285 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] A musical interlude........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The Beths

The Bullingdon, Oxford
£11 -sell out

A week before I'd never heard of the band, but an album I was listening to on Spotify ended and as it does, it chose a track by the above and I was instantly hooked and when I saw they were playing fairly localish, it was fate! The venue itself 100 yards or so up the road from the O2 on the same road where I saw Half Man Half Biscuit a few years ago.

Indie pop-punk at its best.

Support bands were local band Junk Whale, who were ok and worth checking out if in the Oxford area and Hans Pucket who despite the drummer looking like a doppelganger of 2 of my nephews I never really warmed to. OK, but heard better...

On the the main course and The Beths were great, from the opening bar of album titled track Future me hates me to the encore ending Less than thou, the band had the crowd eating out of their hand from the off. My particular fave of theirs Not running sounding live just as I envisaged it.

They've a few more dates in the UK coming up and are back again in the late summer so if you like bright breezy pop-punk I'd check them out.

The Beths once more Smile
Patterns - Brighton
£10 - Sell out
Revisionist IPA £5.10

Not as good as their earlier gig this year, but by all accounts it was one of those days where what could go wrong did, from being mugged earlier in the day to the amps breaking en route from last nights gig, add to that a really poor venue with poor acoustics.

They tried their best but the fact we had a straight 50 minutes with no encore (to be fair they did ask if the crowd minded them playing straight through) told me everything. A shame as when they did get going hard such as on Idea/Intent they were as good as I know they can be.

Good news is a few new songs were played and a new album is on its way next year.

Support band were Peaness - Nice but very safe with just it sounded like 3 songs a slow one, a mid-paced one, and a fast one but all with different lyrics and nothing to distinguish the songs from each other.

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

intheshire
Youth Team Regular

Sep 2, 2019, 10:52 AM

Team(s):

Post #411 of 411 (223 views)
Shortcut

End of the Road festival
August 29 - Sep 1
Larmer Tree Gardens, near Shaftesbury
Adm £190odd, Att 14,000 sell out

For fans of all things indie and more besides this festival is a little slice of heaven with a brilliantly curated line-up that gives everyone a chance to enjoy familiar favourites and discover new ones.

This was my third visit and my highlights were Sleaford Mods, Squid, Parquet Courts, Viagra Boys and Fontaines DC. I also caught most of a cracking set by new-wave pioneers Wire, without whom many of the above bands possibly wouldn't exist. Also caught enjoyable sets by Parquet Courts, Courtney Barnett, Jade Bird, Let's Eat Grandma and Happyness.

Other major acts included Spiritualized, Baxter Dury (each a touch disappointing), Metronomy, Michael Kiwanuka, Jarvis Cocker (didn't catch these)

Food and drink is always good here, with a huge range of options for both. The real ale tent generally had about six of its range on at any one time, enough to cover most tastes.

Always a friendly and relaxed atmosphere here, with punters of all ages and plenty of space for camping. Highly recommended.

Instagram: JBattheground
www.instagram.com/JBattheground

Last Ground (228): King George's Field, Corinthian-Casuals (to watch Kingstonian v Bishop's Stortford)

2019-20 - 14 games, 14 new grounds

First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3