Home: Non League Football Information: History:
APL to Conference

bmccoll
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 7, 2010, 3:13 PM

Post #1 of 16 (7882 views)
Shortcut
APL to Conference Can't Post or Reply Privately

Is ALLIANCE PREMIER LEAGUE still the competition's official title as opposed to one that's the sponsors' wishes?

http://www.scottish-football-historical-archive.co.nf/

Richard Rundle
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 7, 2010, 4:01 PM

Post #2 of 16 (7868 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bmccoll] APL to Conference [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Is ALLIANCE PREMIER LEAGUE still the competition's official title as opposed to one that's the sponsors' wishes?

Pretty sure it's been the Football Conference for qite some time now.

--
Richsrd

mr creosote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 7, 2010, 4:17 PM

Team(s): Grays Athletic, Haverhill Rovers

Post #3 of 16 (7862 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] APL to Conference [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just to back up what Richard says, from the Football Conference web site:

"The Football Conference was formed in 1979 from leading teams in the Northern Premier League and Southern League and was originally known as the Alliance Premier League."

zebedee
First Team Star

Sep 7, 2010, 4:37 PM

Team(s): Southport

Post #4 of 16 (7857 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mr creosote] APL to Conference [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Looking at old Non-League directories, the league is known as the Alliance Premier League from its founding until the 1983-84 season. In the 1985 edition (ie for the 1984-85 season), the section of the directory is headed 'The Gola League' then in smaller letters 'formerly known at Alliance Premier League'. No clear indication of whether or not the official (unsponsored) competition name changed at this time. By the 1986-87 season the Vauxhall sponsorship had begun and the competition was renamed the Vauxhall Conference (presumably to avoid confusion with the Isthmian League which was sponsored by Vauxhall-Opel around the same time?). I think when the Vauxhall sponsorship eventually ended that there was a season or two in which the competiton had no sponsor and the league was referred to as the Football Conference, which had presumably been adopted by the league as the official name at some point during the Vauxhall sponsorship, although whether this was at the start of the deal or at a later point I am unsure.

cope1

Sep 12, 2010, 11:52 PM

Post #5 of 16 (7695 views)
Shortcut

I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that the title changed from 'Alliance Premier League' to 'Football Conference' after the Gola sponsorship expired. I can't find which book it was in now, but it was something non-league based (as opposed to being Wikipedia or just a general football book).

cope1

Sep 12, 2010, 11:54 PM

Post #6 of 16 (7693 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] APL to Conference [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

On a similar note, does anyone know the official title of the top division? I know it's been known recently as 'Blue Square Premier', and that most people avoiding the sponsor's name call it 'Conference National' but I cannot find anything official which says. Personally I'd prefer it to be called 'Football Conference: Premier Division' as (a) I think it follows the convention of the leagues below it and (b) when I am abbreviating it allows me to very neatly have FCP, FCN and FCS which calling it 'National' messes up!

VP

Sep 13, 2010, 11:24 PM

Post #7 of 16 (7629 views)
Shortcut

The league is The Football Conference Limited.

The divisions are the Blue Square Bet Premier, Blue Square Bet North & Blue Square Bet South.

Before this season the divisions didn't have the word 'Bet' in them.

The clubs were given a press release in April regarding the divisional name changes which is still on some of their sites. e.g. http://www.wokingfc.co.uk/...-extend-sponsorship/

(This post was edited by VP on Sep 13, 2010, 11:40 PM)

Ian Nannestad
Junior Team Star

Sep 14, 2010, 8:34 AM

Post #8 of 16 (7601 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] APL to Conference [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

According to the Companies House website, The Football Conference Limited was incorporated on 1 May 1997. There is no indication of any previous company name.

www.soccer-history.co.uk

Dylan's Dad
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 14, 2010, 8:49 AM

Team(s): Gillingham

Post #9 of 16 (7600 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

The divisions are the Blue Square Bet Premier, Blue Square Bet North & Blue Square Bet South.

The clubs were given a press release in April regarding the divisional name changes which is still on some of their sites. e.g. http://www.wokingfc.co.uk/...-extend-sponsorship/

Do the divisions not have unsponsored names at all...........?

La la la
La la la
Life is football
-- Robb Johnson

VP

Sep 14, 2010, 4:51 PM

Post #10 of 16 (7558 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dylan's Dad] APL to Conference [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Do the divisions not have unsponsored names at all...........?

It would appear not. Is the Conference unique in that the league's not sponsored but the divisions are?

rainjar
First Team Star

Sep 16, 2010, 4:37 PM

Post #11 of 16 (7448 views)
Shortcut

I prefer to refer to refer to league and cup competitions by their constitutional or formal name, for example, the League Cup, without reference to the current sponsors. As sponsors come and go while the constitutional or formal name remains the same, it makes sense to do so from a historical perspective or for the sake of continuity.

I imagine there are many others who feel the same way.

It would appear that by not having formal names for their divisions, the Conference are seeking to deter those of us who are so disposed. Wink

Conference National appears to be widely used, and I've used it myself (primarily because that is how it is referred to on Wikipedia), but after further consideration, I think Conference Premier makes more sense. After all, with the sponsors name, it is Blue Square Bet Premier, so if you drop the sponsors name, shouldn't it be Conference Premier?

Football Insights

bmccoll
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 16, 2010, 5:22 PM

Post #12 of 16 (7436 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainjar] APL to Conference [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for your inciteful responses. I also agree wholeheartedly with rainjar. Sponsors come and go and if you miss something. you'd have no idea which competition is which! It used to be the competition's traditional name was included in the title... such as many, many years ago, the Scottish League Cup was called Bells Scottish League Cup after sponsorship was aquired from the brewery, nowadays the middle part would be omitted and Bells Cup used instead. You can also get the odd occasion whereby a firm sponsors one competition for a season, then moves on to another, causing confusion in the process. This happened in the North Junior League about a decade ago and caused a great deal of confusion for a number of seasons!

http://www.scottish-football-historical-archive.co.nf/

cope1

Sep 18, 2010, 10:06 AM

Post #13 of 16 (7321 views)
Shortcut

Personally I don't bother with sponsors' names when I'm doing my anoraking spreadsheets or having a conversation, but if I am mentioning a competition on a website or in print I use the sponsored name as I think it's only fair that the company giving their money over to support football get what they're paying for. More to the point, I think it's more likely to keep them giving their money over.

What I find irritating is when people talk about, for example, the Premier League changing its name because it changes sponsor. Some people find it utterly incomprehensible when I tell them that it has always been called the Football Association Premier League, and that the term 'FA Carling Premiership' or 'FA Barclays Premier League' are just the sponsored names. Same goes for the BGB League becoming the Zamaretto League etc. It's even more nauseating when one person refers to the Zamaretto Premier League (so using sponsored name AND changing it from League, Premier Division to just Premier League - because that sounds more impressive) and another one comments that it's a silly name - I just wanna scream at them both that it's still the effing Southern League!!!

Now look what you've done - I have to have a lie down and see if I can find my pills...

VP

Sep 18, 2010, 7:51 PM

Post #14 of 16 (7276 views)
Shortcut

It's probably only people who inhabit this board who get wound up about such things.
We all know players and managers have their own language which is sometimes at odds with reality but what gets me is a manager who'll say in a pre-match interview that the next opponents are 'three leagues higher than us' when, in fact, they're only one league higher but three divisions, levels or steps. Tongue

Dylan's Dad
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 20, 2010, 9:04 AM

Team(s): Gillingham

Post #15 of 16 (7143 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
What I find irritating is when people talk about, for example, the Premier League changing its name because it changes sponsor. Some people find it utterly incomprehensible when I tell them that it has always been called the Football Association Premier League

Actually, I'm pretty sure it hasn't been called the Football Association Premier League for about four or five years now, its official/legal/unsponsored name is now simply "The Premier League"

La la la
La la la
Life is football
-- Robb Johnson

swanstuff
Youth Team Sub

Jul 3, 2011, 10:36 PM

Team(s): Staines Town

Post #16 of 16 (6100 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dylan's Dad] APL to Conference [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

From "The Blue Square Bet / Blue Square Bet North / Blue Square Bet South 32nd Season Handbook 2010-2011":

Pages 91-92
MEMORANDUM OF ASSOCIATION OF THE FOOTBALL CONFERENCE LIMITED
1. The name of the Company is "The Football Conference Limited".
3. The objects ... are: (A) To acquire and take over as from 7th June 1997 the functions, ... of the unincorporated association known as The Football Conference.

Pages 97-98
ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION OF THE FOOTBALL CONFERENCE LIMITED
2. Interpretation
2.1 In these regulations:- ... "Company" means The Football Conferenec Limited;
"Competition" means the football competition to be managed by the Company under the name of "The Football Conference" (or such other name as the Company may adopt thereafter)...
"Conference Premier" means the Premier Division of the Competition notwithstainding that it may be designated as a different title from time to time.
"Conference South" means the Southern secondary tier of the Competition notwithstainding that it may be designated as a different title from time to time.
"Conference North" means the Northern secondary tier of the Competition notwithstainding that it may be designated as a different title from time to time.

Pages 115-116
THE FOOTBALL CONFERENCE LIMITED RULES
1. Definitions
1.1 In these Rules: ...
"Competition" means The Football Conference comprising Conference Premier, Conference North and Conference South.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3