First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Beano
Reserve Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 2:05 PM

Team(s): Ashford Town (Middlesex)

Post #26 of 136 (4239 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

After Leyton-Wingate demerged to help form Wingate & Finchley, I think the Leyton rump of the club merged with Walthamstow Penant to form Leyton Pennant - the aim being to secure use of Wadham Lodge. I might be wrong, but I believe the Hare & Hounds was owned by people on the Wingate side.

Then Leyton FC were reformed and the two clubs demerged via a legal battle over the right to Leyton FC's history and honours, which was won by the club currently known as Leyton FC. This one would get the new/reformed club debate reignited big time: here's what the lawyers had to say:

Please note that by Order of the High Court Chancery Division dated 26 July 2002, in an action brought against Leyton Pennant Football Club and the Football Association, Leyton Football Club (now incorporated as a Limited Company) of Wingate Stadium Lea Bridge Road Leyton has effectively been restored as Leyton Football Club, the unincorporated club formed in 1868; has had its membership to the FA restored; has had its history dating back to 1868 restored and the order also requires Leyton Pennant to refrain in any way from holding itself out to being Leyton Football Club

London Harrier
First Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 2:10 PM

Post #27 of 136 (4236 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainjar] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wingate & Finchley's history can be summarised below

1971-72
Wingate FC lose their ground at Hall Lane Hendon because of M1 Extension as they had no ground could no longer compete in Athenian League.

1972-74
Wingate FC found a temporary ground at Arkley and played Athenian League games there for 2 seasons there were no floodlights or hard standing so the two year allowance to play at Arkley came to an end in 1974. Between 1972-74 Wingate FC played all their FA Cup & Vase games at Finchley FC including a quarter final FA vase game v Stamford in March 1974. At the end of 1974 Wingate FC decided they could no longer compete in Athenian League and the club split into two groups; Group A went to Leyton FC and formed Leyton-Wingate FC. This was not a merger as this group took no assets or liabilities from wingate FC with them. Group B started a new Wingate FC youth Club at Arkley starting at Under 18. This group held all the assets of Wingate FC the main asset being possible compensation from the sale of the ground at Hall Lane. This compensation was eventually agreed and paid in 1980.

Between 1974-1990 Wingate FC progressed from Sunday youth football to Saturday football in the Herts Co League and then the South Midlands League. In about 1989 the SML imposed an all floodlight rule for Premier Div sides so time was limited at Arkley.

1990 - Negotiations were opened with Finchley FC who had financial problems and deal agreed to merge with Wingate FC spending 600,000 to upgrade Summers Lane as part of deal.

1993-94
Merged club Wingate & Finchley FC runners up in SML and won promotion to Isthmian League. At same time negotiations opened with Leyton-Wingate FC to drop the name Wingate from their title which they agreed to do.

(This post was edited by London Harrier on Nov 10, 2010, 2:13 PM)

PonteCarlo
First Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 2:27 PM

Team(s): Grimsby Town, Pontefract Collieries

Post #28 of 136 (4220 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Without going into all the finer details - what about Gateshead and South Shields?

Proud spectator of real football.

Hop, hop, hopping on heaven's door

Felix
Reserve Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 2:28 PM

Post #29 of 136 (4218 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PonteCarlo] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

2010 - Brimsdown Rovers & Enfield 1893 "merged" ...... to form Enfield 1893

ladderman
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 10, 2010, 2:32 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #30 of 136 (4215 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Beano] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Please note that by Order of the High Court Chancery Division dated 26 July 2002, in an action brought against Leyton Pennant Football Club and the Football Association, Leyton Football Club (now incorporated as a Limited Company) of Wingate Stadium Lea Bridge Road Leyton has effectively been restored as Leyton Football Club, the unincorporated club formed in 1868; has had its membership to the FA restored; has had its history dating back to 1868 restored and the order also requires Leyton Pennant to refrain in any way from holding itself out to being Leyton Football Club

A truly amazing decision, and proof - if it was ever needed - that "justice" can bought simply by having better/more expensive lawyers rather than by letting the facts get in the way.

007Dale
First Team Regular

Nov 10, 2010, 2:32 PM

Post #31 of 136 (4215 views)
Shortcut

I wonder if an 'A' team coming into prominance could be deemed to be a de-merger.

I was thinking about Loughborough Dynamo (NPL 1S) and FC Dynamo (LSL). I believe the latter has be spawned from the former.

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 10, 2010, 2:50 PM

Team(s): Fareham Town - THE CREEKSIDERS

Post #32 of 136 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Fareham Town - formed by a merger of Fareham Brotherhood, Fareham FC and Fareham Youth on 6th May 1946.

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor
www.facebook.com/nonleaguebins

A football club is for life, not just for trophies

Beano
Reserve Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 3:09 PM

Post #33 of 136 (4190 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bedfont FC (RIP) were formed in 1968 by a merger of three clubs - Bedfont Institute, Bedfont Rangers and Fairholme United. They always claimed the fondation date of Institute (1900) as their own.

My own club, Ashford Town (Middlesex) absorbed Staines Youth Club FC in 1967, with the Youth Club becoming Ashford Town Reserves, although this does not alter the formation date of the club in my view.

Stoned_Prof
Youth Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 4:09 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #34 of 136 (4161 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Just a thought, are their any examples of de-mergers?

Although not strictly true from a business sense, I see the whole Wimbledon situation as a kind of split or "de-merger", with the supporters and general "identity" of the club going one way (AFCW) and the owners and assets going another (the last two years of WFC).

Over the summer, Erith Town merged with Dartford Town before promptly demerging before the season started. Some versions of the Kent League table for this season still list Erith & Dartford Town.

How would people view Folkestone Invicta/Town or Hastings Town/United? In both situations there were two clubs and one went out of business, with the other seemingly taking on the assets (particularly home ground), supporters and even name and colours (in the case of Hastings - not sure about Folkestone) of the defunct club. While not strictly mergers, the identity/essence/culture/assets of the two clubs seem to have combined.

To help Maidstone United come home, and for up to 49 chances to win 1000 for a one-off payment of 6.99, please join the Maidstone United Virtual Stadium:
http://www.maidstoneunitedvirtualstadium.com/...tration.aspx?r=00224

(This post was edited by Stoned_Prof on Nov 10, 2010, 4:10 PM)

rainjar
First Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 4:31 PM

Post #35 of 136 (4146 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
More more more....

Haringey Borough Created by the merger of Edmonton & Haringey and Wood Green Town in 1976
Swindon Supermarine - Created by the merger of Supermarine and Swindon Athletic in 1992
Stocksbridge Park Steels - Created by the merger of Oxley Park Sports and Stocksbridge Works in 1986
St. Francis Rangers - Created by the merger of Ansty Rangers and St. Francis in 2002.
Ifield Edwards merge of Edwards Sports and Ifield in 2003.
Solihull Moors - Created by the merger of Moor Green and Solihull Borough in 2007.
Shottermill & Haslemere - Created by the merger of Haslemere and Shottermill in 2001.
Shefford Town & Campton - Created by the merger of Campton and Shefford Town in 2010.

All added to the Wikipedia list, except Shottermill & Haslemere, as they are below the NLS.

Football Insights

(This post was edited by rainjar on Nov 10, 2010, 4:31 PM)

rainjar
First Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 4:39 PM

Post #36 of 136 (4137 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
Maldon & Tiptree formed by the merger of Maldon Town and Tiptree United in 2010

I'm not enitrely sure they have merged???? - Tiptree United are still in existance from from I can gather - they have simply stopped playing football this season - and so to keep the name of Tiptree football alive they have gone into some weird partnership with Maldon Town, which has resulted in Maldon Town changing the name of its club to incorporate the Tiptree name, until Tiptree United see fit to resume playing under their own identity in the future!

Or some such - so not sure it qualifies as a "full blown" merger!

Two others I can think of though are

Lincoln Moorlands Railway - created by the merger of Lincoln Moorlands and Lincoln Railway in 2007.
Kingsbury London Tigers - merger of Kingsbury Town and London Tigers in 2006.

All added to the Wikipedia list, including Maldon & Tiptree.

I'm using the Wikipedia articles on the clubs themselves as the linked source, and the article on Maldon & Tiptree states:

Maldon Town merged with Tiptree United during the 2009/2010 close season to form Maldon & Tiptree United.

Football Insights

rainjar
First Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 4:44 PM

Post #37 of 136 (4130 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Two more from the ECL:

Brantham Athletic (Brantham and Stutton)
Kirkley & Pakefield (a merger of Kirkley and Pakefield in 2007)

Two previous incarnations of Kirkley merged into Lowestoft Town (in 1887 and 1935) - a third merger had been planned in 1908, but was abandoned due to the "Good Friday Fiasco"

I've added Kirkley & Pakefield and Lowestoft Town to the Wikipedia list.

Not sure about Brantham Athletic. The Wikipedia article on the club states:

Two years later they were relegated to the Suffolk & Ipswich League after finishing eighteenth out of 19 clubs. At the end of that season Brantham Athletic folded completely. As a result Brantham merged with Stutton Football Club to become Brantham & Stutton United. After winning the League Cup in 1997, the club reverted back to its old name.

How does a club that has "folded completely" merge with another club?

Football Insights

rainjar
First Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 4:46 PM

Post #38 of 136 (4127 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Barwell FC formed in 1992 following merger between Hinckley FC (Midland Comb) and Barwell Athletic FC (LSL).

Added to the Wikipedia list.

Football Insights

rainjar
First Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 4:46 PM

Post #39 of 136 (4126 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Three more

Raynes Park Vale created by the merger of Malden Vale and Raynes Park in 1995.
Pershore Town created by the merger of Pershore Bullets, Pershore Recreation Rovers and Pershore United in 1988.
Dartmouth created by the merger of Dartmouth United and Dartmouth YMRC in 1999.

Football Insights

Moorsider
First Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 4:47 PM

Team(s): Kirkbymoorside (Wearside League)

Post #40 of 136 (4124 views)
Shortcut

Easington Colliery AFC came into existence in 1980 as a result of a merger between Easington Colliery Welfare and Easington Rangers

rainjar
First Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 4:48 PM

Post #41 of 136 (4122 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Felix] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
2010 - Brimsdown Rovers & Enfield 1893 "merged" ...... to form Enfield 1893

Football Insights

rainjar
First Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 4:53 PM

Post #42 of 136 (4111 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Fareham Town - formed by a merger of Fareham Brotherhood, Fareham FC and Fareham Youth on 6th May 1946.

There's no reference to the merger in the Wikipedia article on Fareham Town. I'll wait for a reference to be added to that article before I add the club to the Wikipedia list of club mergers.

Football Insights

(This post was edited by rainjar on Nov 10, 2010, 4:57 PM)

rainjar
First Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 4:57 PM

Post #43 of 136 (4104 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Bedfont FC (RIP) were formed in 1968 by a merger of three clubs - Bedfont Institute, Bedfont Rangers and Fairholme United. They always claimed the fondation date of Institute (1900) as their own.

Defunct so not added to the Wikipedia list.

In Reply To
My own club, Ashford Town (Middlesex) absorbed Staines Youth Club FC in 1967, with the Youth Club becoming Ashford Town Reserves, although this does not alter the formation date of the club in my view.

There's no reference to the merger in the Wikipedia article on Ashford Town (Middlesex). I'll wait for a reference to be added to that article before I add the club to the Wikipedia list of club mergers.

Football Insights

(This post was edited by rainjar on Nov 10, 2010, 5:22 PM)

rainjar
First Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 4:58 PM

Post #44 of 136 (4102 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Moorsider] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Easington Colliery AFC came into existence in 1980 as a result of a merger between Easington Colliery Welfare and Easington Rangers

Football Insights

rainjar
First Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 5:00 PM

Post #45 of 136 (4100 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Thanks for that.

I'd earlier added 5 to the Wikipedia list (Tooting & Mitcham United, Walton & Hersham, Wingate & Finchley, Havant & Waterlooville and AFC Sudbury) as they included some obvious ones.

I've added the first three that you mention. They each have their own Wikipedia entry. FC Khalsa & Evington don't have a separate entry on Wikipedia. I think I'll limit the additions I make the Wikipedia list to clubs within the National League System.

Clubs below Step 7 can still be added to this thread.

The merger was pre-war, but I've also added Maidenhead United to the Wikipedia list.

Football Insights

Beano
Reserve Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 5:00 PM

Post #46 of 136 (4099 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Defunct so not added to the Wikipedia list.

In Reply To

There's no reference to the merger in the Wikipedia article on Ashford Town (Middlesex). I'll wait for it a reference be added to that article before I add the club to the Wikipedia list of club mergers.

True, but it is mentioned here:
http://www.ashfordtownmiddlesexfc.com/content/view/28/29/

I'm not sure anyone at the club considers it significant enough to add to Wikipedia!

ladderman

Nov 10, 2010, 5:10 PM

Post #47 of 136 (4087 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Stoned_Prof] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
How would people view Folkestone Invicta/Town or Hastings Town/United? In both situations there were two clubs and one went out of business, with the other seemingly taking on the assets (particularly home ground), supporters and even name and colours (in the case of Hastings - not sure about Folkestone) of the defunct club. While not strictly mergers, the identity/essence/culture/assets of the two clubs seem to have combined.

You could add Tring/Tring Athletic to that list.

rainjar
First Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 5:12 PM

Post #48 of 136 (4085 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Camberley Town FC - merger of Camberley FC and Camberley Wanderers in 1967 ....

In Reply To
... although in reality it was Wanderers being absorbed into the town's 'main' team, hence we claim a foundation date of 1895 rather than 1967. Surrey FA support us in this although they only give us 1896 as that was when we first affiliated with them. I know Sarumio has different views on this issue!
The thing is, Wanderers had been a youth only club for almost their entire history. They tried two seasons at adult football but, because they didn't have a permanent ground, they accepted the 'merger'. If they hadn't have had those two seasons then no-one would have called it a merger. Youth clubs merge with adult sides regularly. Leatherhead & Mole Valley Predators is a recent example. Predators now play under the banner of Leatherhead Youth.

Personally, I think the date of formation should be the date of formation of the oldest of the merged clubs.

After all, when clubs merge, their histories merge too. It's not a new club with a new start.

In Reply To
.... And then there's the Banstead Athletic / Epsom Eagles scenario and the Bedfont Town / Bedfont scenario.
Both completely above board, both mergers in some sense of the word, both not mergers as we know them.

There's no reference to mergers in the Wikipedia articles on the two clubs. I'll wait for references to be added before I add the clubs to the Wikipedia list of club mergers.

Football Insights

(This post was edited by rainjar on Nov 10, 2010, 5:21 PM)

ladderman

Nov 10, 2010, 5:12 PM

Post #49 of 136 (4084 views)
Shortcut

Back to Leyton. I found this
http://www.spiritus-temporis.com/leyton-f-c-/

It basically admits the club was formed in 1997 (as Leyton Sports IIRC), but somehow they think because htey got the lease/freehold to H&H ground, they were entitled to the history of Leyton FC.

rainjar
First Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 5:18 PM

Post #50 of 136 (4081 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
and to avoid playing in the ECL. By definition, every club with the suffix 'United' is surely a result of some merger?

Not necessarily - Manchester United for instance is not the result of a merger, nor are West Ham United.

The same is true in non-league where, off the top of my head, Westbury United, Woodford United, Harefield United, Hadleigh United, Lincoln United and Norwich United are not the result of mergers - they were formed from scratch with those names or merely changed to them at a later date without a merger prompting it. I could probably think of loads more!

There were "only" 26 Uniteds in the top 6 levels in the 2007-08 season. Wink I should update my list.

Football Insights

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3