First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

rainjar
First Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 5:29 PM

Post #51 of 136 (4723 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PonteCarlo] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Without going into all the finer details - what about Gateshead and South Shields?

Relocation of the club, twice. Akin to Wimbledon moving to Milton Keynes, rather than merger of clubs.

South Liverpool to New Brighton as well?

Football Insights

rainjar
First Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 5:32 PM

Post #52 of 136 (4721 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Stoned_Prof] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Just a thought, are their any examples of de-mergers?

Although not strictly true from a business sense, I see the whole Wimbledon situation as a kind of split or "de-merger", with the supporters and general "identity" of the club going one way (AFCW) and the owners and assets going another (the last two years of WFC).

Over the summer, Erith Town merged with Dartford Town before promptly demerging before the season started. Some versions of the Kent League table for this season still list Erith & Dartford Town.

How would people view Folkestone Invicta/Town or Hastings Town/United? In both situations there were two clubs and one went out of business, with the other seemingly taking on the assets (particularly home ground), supporters and even name and colours (in the case of Hastings - not sure about Folkestone) of the defunct club. While not strictly mergers, the identity/essence/culture/assets of the two clubs seem to have combined.

I think there are several different scenarios - clubs merging, clubs folding and being reformed, clubs relocating, or the simple renaming of an existing club.

In each case, how does the change affect the identity of the club, particularly in the eyes of the fans?

Football Insights

rainjar
First Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 5:35 PM

Post #53 of 136 (4720 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainjar] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Wikipedia list has grown from 8 to a lot more:

Clubs currently in the Premier League, the Football League or the National League System:

* Newcastle United F.C. created by the merger of Newcastle West End F.C. and Newcastle East End F.C. in 1892.
* Watford F.C. created by the merger of West Hertfordshire and Watford St Mary's in 1898.
* Maidenhead United F.C. created as Maidenhead Town F.C. by the merger of Maidenhead F.C. and Maidenhead Norfolkian F.C. in 1919 before changing its name to Maidenhead United in 1920.
* Rotherham United F.C. created by the merger of Rotherham County F.C. and Rotherham Town F.C. in 1925.
* Tooting & Mitcham F.C. created by the merger of Tooting Town F.C. and Mitcham Wanderers F.C. in 1932.
* Lowestoft Town F.C. kept the same name after it merged with Kirkley & Waveneley F.C. in 1935. Prior to 1890, Lowestoft Town F.C. was known as Lowestoft F.C., and was itself created by the merger of East Suffolk F.C. and the original Kirkley F.C. in 1887. Kirkley & Waveneley F.C. was also created by a merger, between the third incarnation of Kirkley F.C. and Waveneley Athletic F.C. in 1929.
* Corinthian-Casuals F.C. created by the merger of Corinthian F.C. and Casuals F.C. in 1939.
* Walton & Hersham F.C. created by the merger of Walton F.C. and Hersham F.C. in 1945.
* Ebbsfleet United F.C. created as Gravesend & Northfleet by the merger of Gravesend United F.C. and Northfleet United F.C. in 1946.
* Swanage Town & Herston F.C. created by the merger of Swanage Town F.C. and Herston Rovers F.C. in 1966.
* Camberley Town F.C. created by the merger of Camberley F.C. and Camberley Wanderers F.C. in 1967.
* Hamworthy United F.C. created by the merger of Hamworthy F.C. and Trinidad Old Boys F.C. in 1970.
* Haringey Borough F.C. created by the merger of Edmonton & Haringey F.C. and Wood Green Town F.C. in 1976.
* Easington Colliery A.F.C. created by the merger of Easington Colliery Welfare F.C. and Easington Rangers F.C. in 1980.
* Stocksbridge Park Steels F.C. created by the merger of Stocksbridge Works F.C. and Oxley Park Sports F.C in 1986.
* Pershore Town 88 F.C. created by the merger of Pershore United, Pershore Recreation Rovers F.C. and Pershore Bullets F.C. in 1988.
* Bemerton Heath Harlequins F.C. created by the merger of Bemerton Athletic F.C., Bemerton Boys F.C. and Moon F.C. in 1989.
* Wingate & Finchley F.C. created by the merger of Wingate F.C. and Finchley F.C. in 1991.
* Barwell F.C. created by the merger of Hinckley F.C. and Barwell Athletic F.C. in 1992.
* Dagenham & Redbridge F.C. created by the merger of Dagenham F.C. and Redbridge Forest F.C. in 1992. Redbridge Forest F.C. itself was created by the merging of three separate clubs. Ilford and Leytonstone F.C. merged in 1979 to become Leytonstone/Ilford which then merged with Walthamstow Avenue F.C. in 1988 to become Redbridge Forest
* Arnold Town F.C. created by the merger of Arnold F.C. and Arnold Kingswell F.C. in 1989.
* Rushden & Diamonds F.C. created by the merger of Rushden Town F.C. and Irthlingborough Diamonds F.C. in 1992.
* Hinckley United F.C. created by the merger of Hinckley Town F.C. and Hinckley Athletic F.C. in 1992.
* Swindon Supermarine F.C. created by the merger of Swindon Athletic F.C. and Supermarine F.C. in 1992.
* Beaconsfield SYCOB F.C. - created by the merger of Beaconsfield United F.C. and Slough Youth Centre Old Boys F.C. in 1994.
* A.F.C. Wallingford created by the merger of Wallingford Town F.C. and Wallingford United F.C. in 1995.
* Barton Town Old Boys F.C. created by the merger of Barton Town F.C. and Barton Old Boys F.C. in 1995.
* Raynes Park Vale F.C. created by the merger of Raynes Park F.C. and Malden Vale F.C. in 1995.
* Havant & Waterlooville F.C. created by the merger of Havant Town F.C. and Waterlooville F.C. in 1998.
* A.F.C. Sudbury created by the merger of Sudbury Town F.C. and Sudbury Wanderers F.C. in 1999.
* Dartmouth A.F.C. created by the merger of Dartmouth United F.C. and Dartmouth YMRC in 1999.
* Felixstowe & Walton United F.C. created by the merger of Felixstowe Port & Town F.C. and Walton United F.C. in 2000.
* Bexhill United F.C. created by the merger of Bexhill Amateur Athletic Club and Bexhill Town F.C. in 2002.
* St. Francis Rangers F.C. created by the merger of St. Francis F.C. and Ansty Rangers F.C. in 2002.
* Eastbourne United Association F.C. created by the merger of Eastbourne United F.C. and Shinewater Association F.C. in 2003.
* Ifield Edwards F.C. created by the merger of Ifield F.C. and Edwards Sports F.C in 2003.
* Wokingham & Emmbrook F.C. created by the merger of Wokingham Town F.C. and Emmbrook Sports F.C. in 2004.
* Friar Lane & Epworth F.C. created by the merger of Friar Lane Old Boys F.C. and Epworth F.C. in 2004.
* Ibstock United F.C. created by the merger of Ibstock Welfare F.C. and Ibstock Youth in 2005.
* Totnes & Dartington F.C. created by the merger of Totnes Town F.C. and Dartington Sports Club in 2005.
* Kingsbury London Tigers F.C. created by the merger of Kingsbury Town F.C. and London Tigers F.C. in 2006.
* Coulsdon United F.C. created by the merger of Coulsdon Town F.C. and Salfords F.C. in 2007.
* Hayes & Yeading United F.C. created by the merger of Hayes F.C. and Yeading F.C. in 2007.
* Kirkley & Pakefield F.C. created by the merger of the fourth incarnation of Kirkley F.C. (previously known as Brook Marine F.C. and Kirkley United F.C.) and Pakefield F.C. in 2007.
* Lincoln Moorlands Railway F.C. created by the merger of Lincoln Moorlands F.C. and Lincoln Railway F.C. in 2007.
* Penrith F.C. - created by the merger of Penrith Town F.C. and Penrith United F.C. in 2007.
* Rushden & Higham United F.C. created by the merger of Rushden Rangers F.C. and Higham Town F.C. in 2007.
* Solihull Moors F.C. created by the merger of Solihull Borough F.C. and Moor Green F.C. in 2007.
* Ashton & Backwell United F.C. created by the merger of Ashton Boys F.C. and Blackwell United F.C. in 2010.
* Enfield 1893 F.C. kept the same name after it merged with Brimsdown Rovers F.C. in 2010.
* Maldon & Tiptree F.C. created by the merger of Maldon Town F.C. and Tiptree United F.C. in 2010.
* Shefford Town & Campton F.C. created by the merger of Shefford Town F.C. and Campton F.C. in 2010.

It's becoming somewhat unwieldy. It might need a separate article.

I think I'll take a break. It might be a long break!

Football Insights

rainjar
First Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 5:40 PM

Post #54 of 136 (4713 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Beano] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
Bedfont FC (RIP) were formed in 1968 by a merger of three clubs - Bedfont Institute, Bedfont Rangers and Fairholme United. They always claimed the fondation date of Institute (1900) as their own.

Defunct so not added to the Wikipedia list.

In Reply To
My own club, Ashford Town (Middlesex) absorbed Staines Youth Club FC in 1967, with the Youth Club becoming Ashford Town Reserves, although this does not alter the formation date of the club in my view.

There's no reference to the merger in the Wikipedia article on Ashford Town (Middlesex). I'll wait for it a reference be added to that article before I add the club to the Wikipedia list of club mergers.

True, but it is mentioned here:
http://www.ashfordtownmiddlesexfc.com/content/view/28/29/

I'm not sure anyone at the club considers it significant enough to add to Wikipedia!

There's only so much I can do. Smile

Football Insights

bakis
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 10, 2010, 6:53 PM

Team(s): Kidderminster Harriers

Post #55 of 136 (4681 views)
Shortcut

How about Midhurst & Easebourne (merger of Midhurst and Easebourne in 1945) and Chichester City + Portfield + Chichester City United but now Chichester City?

Football Man
Youth Team Sub

Nov 10, 2010, 7:29 PM

Team(s): Hitchin, Royston, Langford, Stotfold, the Biggleswades

Post #56 of 136 (4670 views)
Shortcut

Wingate and Finchley

Only my recollections to guide me on this, but I was living in Finchley in the late 80s to 1991, and went down to watch the original Finchley regularly. They were in a mess financially, and would have gone out of business after finishing 21st in the Isthmian League Division one North 1990-1. Wingate were in the South Midlands League Premier Division at the time, but had no prospect of further advancement due to them not being able to develop their ground just over the border in Hertfordshire.

The new Wingate and Finchley club played in the South Midlands League Premier Division in 1991-2 - taking Wingate's place (even if Finchley had been relegated, they may have been placed in the Spartan League?), with the officials of Wingate becoming the officials of W&F. Therefore, it could be argued that Finchley effectively ceased to exist, and the new Wingate & Finchley were a continuation of Wingate, moving into the old club's ground.

FM

(This post was edited by Football Man on Nov 10, 2010, 7:31 PM)

Stoned_Prof
Youth Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 7:36 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #57 of 136 (4664 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I think there are several different scenarios - clubs merging, clubs folding and being reformed, clubs relocating, or the simple renaming of an existing club.

In each case, how does the change affect the identity of the club, particularly in the eyes of the fans?

I tried to write a similar (and much lengthier) article for the Maidstone United fanzine, but I found it difficult to explain my reasoning and the fanzine ceased publication this summer, so I never finished it and it's still sitting on my computer.

In general, though, I think:
A merged club is just a combination of the two existing clubs, so it is a continuation of both.
A reformed club is a continuation of the original.
It is perfectly valid to view situations such as Wimbledon and Enfield/Enfield Town as a split of the original club.
When a club goes out of business, does not reform and its supporters, assets etc. are absorbed by a neighbouring club, it can be viewed as a kind of merger/takeover.
When a club relocates and cuts all ties with its former home area/support, it is a new club (so MKD are not Wimbledon).
A renaming depends on the situation. If a small club takes the name of the wider area, I see it more as an expansion, rather than change, of identity. If only the suffix (the United/Town/City bit) changes, then that does not affect the identity of the club too much.

To me, a club is a social/sporting entity first and a business entity second.

To help Maidstone United come home, and for up to 49 chances to win 1000 for a one-off payment of 6.99, please join the Maidstone United Virtual Stadium:
http://www.maidstoneunitedvirtualstadium.com/...tration.aspx?r=00224

(This post was edited by Stoned_Prof on Nov 10, 2010, 7:38 PM)

GrahamN
Junior Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 8:42 PM

Post #58 of 136 (4641 views)
Shortcut

Maldon & Tiptree is certainly NOT a merger - it is simply the continuation of Maldon Town FC with a name change.

As another post stated, Tiptree United still exists as a football club and a company but is currently not playing any matches (and probably never will again).

VP
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 10, 2010, 8:55 PM

Post #59 of 136 (4633 views)
Shortcut

Some more -

Kingstonian - merger of Kingston-on-Thames FC & Old Kingstonians FC in 1919 (ref http://www.kingstonian.net/club.jsp?history )

Croydon Athletic - merger of Wandsworth FC & Norwood FC in 1986 (they were called Wandsworth & Norwood until 1990). Ref. Wikipedia.

Feltham - merger of Feltham FC & Hounslow FC in 1990. Originally called Feltham & Hounslow Borough until 1995. Ref. Wikipedia.

Alton Town - merger of Alton Town FC & Bass (Alton) FC in 1990. New club originally called Alton Town Bass, then Bass Alton Town. There may be some more brackets involved somewhere. Ref. Wiki.

There are loads lower down the pecking order.
In this area alone we have at
Step 7 there's Hersham Elm Grove - (Hersham FC & Elm Grove FC in 2010)

Step 8 Guildford City Weysiders (Guildford City Social FC & Weysiders FC in 1986)

Step 8 - Milford & Witley (self explanatory - 1996)

Step 9 - Godalming & Farncombe Athletic (Godalming Athletic & Farncombe in 2002. Not the original Farncombe club who had folded in 1970 and nothing to do with Godalming & Farncombe FC who became Godalming Town then Guildford & Godalming FC then Godalming Town again (this Godalming & Farncombe wasn't a merger but Godalming United did take over Farncombe's ground and debts in 1970)). Crazy

Step 9 - Woking & Horsell (Woking Park FC & Horsell FC in 1990)

There are probably loads more I don't know of or have forgotten.

(This post was edited by VP on Nov 10, 2010, 9:07 PM)

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 10, 2010, 9:27 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #60 of 136 (4618 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Havant & Waterlooville F.C. created by the merger of Havant Town F.C. and Waterlooville F.C. in 1998.

Havant Town themselves were the result of a previous merger. Havant FC were formed in 1889 and merged with Leigh Park FC in 1969 (when Leigh Park were the holders of the FA Sunday Cup). The new club played at Front Lawn school, just off Petersfield Road in Leigh Park housing estate (and close to the tower block I was living in at the time, aged one, though it was another 26 years before I bought my first season ticket).

The merger in 1998 between Havant Town FC and Waterlooville FC should certainly be regarded as one of the more successful mergers over recent years. I miss the old Boxing Day derby matches, but everything else has been a grand success.

Tring's no 1
Youth Team Sub

Nov 10, 2010, 10:51 PM

Team(s): Tring Athletic, Totternhoe, Watford

Post #61 of 136 (4587 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
How would people view Folkestone Invicta/Town or Hastings Town/United? In both situations there were two clubs and one went out of business, with the other seemingly taking on the assets (particularly home ground), supporters and even name and colours (in the case of Hastings - not sure about Folkestone) of the defunct club. While not strictly mergers, the identity/essence/culture/assets of the two clubs seem to have combined.

You could add Tring/Tring Athletic to that list.

From tafc.co.uk
SEASON 2003/04 - Following our failure to secure floodlights at Miswell Lane we entered into an historic alliance with Tring Town to play our first and reserve team football in season 2004/05 at Pendley where lights are already in place. The main focus was to be to raise the funds needed to build a new Clubhouse, the previous building burnt down in March 2003. Miswell Lane will be retained and will be used by our A, B, Under 18's and Ladies sides. This new arrangement with Tring Town secured senior level football in the town.

SparkyRebel
First Team Sub

Nov 10, 2010, 11:09 PM

Team(s): Worthing FC

Post #62 of 136 (4580 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tring's no 1] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wothing United FC formed from an amalgamation of Wigmore Athletic FC and Southdown FC in 1988

Up The Rebels!!!!

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 11:14 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #63 of 136 (4576 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SparkyRebel] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bexhill United and Bexhill Amateur Athletic Club are now seperate clubs as both affiliate to Sussex County FA, in fact BAAC also has a seperate Sunday team. Information gleaned from BAAC Website.

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Nov 10, 2010, 11:18 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #64 of 136 (4575 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bakis] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Chichester and Portfield merged to become Chichester City United but have now dropped the United to become Chichester City FC

rainjar
First Team Star

Nov 11, 2010, 3:38 AM

Post #65 of 136 (4551 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burgesshillbee] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tring Athletic and Chichester City have been added to the list.

As the article on Tring Athletic uses the word "absorb" rather than "merge", I've used the word "absorb in every case where the merged club kept the name of one of the merging clubs immediately after the merger.

As for Worthing United and Midhurst & Easebourne, there are no references to the mergers in the Wikipedia articles on the clubs. I'll wait for references to be added to those article before I add the clubs to the Wikipedia list of club mergers.

Football Insights

(This post was edited by rainjar on Nov 11, 2010, 7:24 AM)

rainjar
First Team Star

Nov 11, 2010, 5:16 AM

Post #66 of 136 (4545 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

To me, a club is a social/sporting entity first and a business entity second.

There are several levels:

• A team of 11 + subs that play a game of football.
  • The football team plus the people around the team that prepare for matches to be played over a season and from season to season including the selection of the team - a broader "team"
  • The broader team plus the facilities they use (a playing field at the very least) - the narrow "club".
  • An unincorporated association or a corporate entity that run or own the narrow "club". The actual "club" (although in the case of a corporate entity, it should be the "company"). The legal structure may be changed to meet changing economic or organizational requirements, including changing status from unincorporated to incorporated, and re-structuring (whether solvent or insolvent, such as in administration). Liquidation and reformation is another kettle of fish.
  • The sociological phenomenon that links fans to the "club". The broader "club" if you like. The owners of the club may be directly accountable to the fans (as in the case of community or supporters trust owned clubs) or not (as in privately owned clubs).
  • The business that the unincorporated association or company operate - summed up in the cost of running the broader team and the narrow club and the revenues earned (whether directly or indirectly) from the fans.
At which level does any one person's greatest identification with a particular club lie?

Football Insights

(This post was edited by rainjar on Nov 11, 2010, 6:58 AM)

rainjar
First Team Star

Nov 11, 2010, 7:39 AM

Post #67 of 136 (4520 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burgesshillbee] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Bexhill United and Bexhill Amateur Athletic Club are now seperate clubs as both affiliate to Sussex County FA, in fact BAAC also has a seperate Sunday team. Information gleaned from BAAC Website.

Was that a de-merger or the formation of a new club with an old name?

For example, several clubs have been formed called Kirkley, only for each of the first 3 to be merged directly or indirectly with Lowestoft Town, and for the latest (4th) to be merged with Pakefield.

Football Insights

(This post was edited by rainjar on Nov 11, 2010, 7:40 AM)

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 11, 2010, 7:50 AM

Team(s):

Post #68 of 136 (4517 views)
Shortcut

Torquay United 1899

Torquay United & Ellacombe = Torquay Town 1910

Torquay Town & Babbacombe = Torquay United 1921

bakis
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 11, 2010, 8:25 AM

Team(s): Kidderminster Harriers

Post #69 of 136 (4504 views)
Shortcut

Midhurst & Easebourne's merger is detailed on their own website. Midhurst lost their ground for the building of a new school and Easebourne had lost most of their officials.One of the longer standing and I suspect happier mergers we've identified.

Sarumio
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 11, 2010, 9:38 AM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #70 of 136 (4479 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bakis] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Another one

Broxbourne Borough V&E - merger of Ambury and Somersett in 1991 (known as Somersett Ambury V&E until 2002).

ladderman

Nov 11, 2010, 10:57 AM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #71 of 136 (4458 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Somersett Ambury V&E were actually three separate clubs. I think Ambury merged with V&E, and then they merged with Somersett - though that might be the wrong order.

southend statto
First Team Star

Nov 11, 2010, 1:18 PM

Team(s): most of my local sides

Post #72 of 136 (4397 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GrahamN] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

as far as I understand Maldon Town and Tiptree United 'merged'. Tiptree United (not playing this season of course) will not re-register their name with the ECFA next season, when the merger will be complete

dottirofhod

Nov 11, 2010, 1:29 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #73 of 136 (4390 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Somersett Ambury V&E were actually three separate clubs. I think Ambury merged with V&E, and then they merged with Somersett - though that might be the wrong order.

Broxbourne Borough V & E F.C. is a football club based in Broxbourne, England. They changed their name from Somersett Ambury V & E in 2002. Currently they are members of the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division.
Contents[hide] [edit] History
The club was formed in 1959 as Somersett F.C. by Colin Plowman and Robert Le Moignan who attended Chace Boys School, in Enfield, and played in the Edmonton Youth Saturday League for the first one two season, finishing bottom, failing to win a match. in 1961, the club joined the Enfield Alliance Football League. In 1975, the club accepted an invitation to join the V & E Youth Club Centre at their present site in Goffs Lane, Cheshunt. In 1982, Cheshunt Rangers merged with the club. In 1989, the club joined the McMullens League. In 1991, Ambury, a Premier Division team from the Mercury Waltham Sunday League, merged with Somersett to become Somersett Ambury V & E, then known locally as SAVE F.C. In 1993, the club joined the Herts Senior County League, and, in 1997, the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division.

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 117 / 96 / 21(You know my rules) @ 16 /11 /2018.(Only 8 x 0-0's)
Benelux. Bel = 0-0-0- ( 0-0-0 ) - ( 5-0-0-1 ) Lux = 0-0. Neth = 0-0-0 - ( 2 - 1 ).
Scotland Senior 0-0-0-0-(0-0)-EastofS -1 NofS 0 - SouthofS -2 - Junior (0-0-0)-(0-0-1-0)-(0-0)-(0).
N I = 0-0-5. ROI =0-0-( Leinster-2 , Munster-2, Ulster -0.) Wales =0- (0-0).
Scan Den=1-1, Faroes=8, Fin=0-2, Ice=0-3, Nor=0-9, Swe=0-1. Baltics Est= 0, Lat= 2, Lith=1.

sandhurstbee

Nov 11, 2010, 1:30 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #74 of 136 (4389 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Didn`t Hastings Town merge with the renamed St Leonards (Formerley STAMCO) to become the current Hastings United.

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

Sarumio
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 11, 2010, 1:49 PM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #75 of 136 (4381 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Didn`t Hastings Town merge with the renamed St Leonards (Formerley STAMCO) to become the current Hastings United.

No, Rock-a-Nore and All Saints merged in 1921 to form Hastings & St. Leonards Amateurs. They changed their name to Hastings Town in 1979. They then changed their name again to Hastings United in 2002.

The previous club called Hastings United were formed in 1948 and folded in 1985.

St. Leonards (originally called STAMCO) led a solitary life from formation in 1971 until they folded midway through the 2002-03 season.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3