Club mergers

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

rainjar
First Team Star

Nov 11, 2010, 2:58 PM

Post #76 of 136 (3624 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The list on the Wikipedia page was getting unwieldy, so I've moved the full list to a User page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Rainjar/list_of_english_football_club_mergers).

The list on the Wikipedia page is now limited to clubs in the Football Conference and above - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:List_of_football_club_mergers.

I've added all clubs from Step 7 and above. Where the Wikipedia article on the club does not refer to the merger, I've referenced the post on this thread which describes the merger.

Football Insights

leohoenig
Administrator

Nov 11, 2010, 3:40 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #77 of 136 (3606 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
Didn`t Hastings Town merge with the renamed St Leonards (Formerley STAMCO) to become the current Hastings United.

No, Rock-a-Nore and All Saints merged in 1921 to form Hastings & St. Leonards Amateurs. They changed their name to Hastings Town in 1979. They then changed their name again to Hastings United in 2002.

The previous club called Hastings United were formed in 1948 and folded in 1985.

St. Leonards (originally called STAMCO) led a solitary life from formation in 1971 until they folded midway through the 2002-03 season.

Actually, Hastings & St. Leonards became Hastings Town in 1976
In 1948, Hastings United were born out of a schism within the old club - those members that wanted a professional club in the Southern League becoming "United" while the old club remained amateur, but had to quit the Corinthian League as United had the Pilot Field. It was sometime later that Town moved next door.

Town moved down the slope into the Pilot Field in 1985 and took the Southern League place vacated by their neighbours. The club originally known as STAMCO later moved into the ground vacated by Town and became St Leonards Stamcroft and joined the SOuthern Leaguein 1996. In 1998 they became just St Leonards, and left the Southern League after finishing bottom in 2003. In January 2004, they resigned from the Sussex League.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

rainjar
First Team Star

Nov 11, 2010, 4:21 PM

Post #78 of 136 (3590 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Wikipedia article on the now defunct Hastings United states:

Within weeks of being founded the club were in a battle with local club Hastings & St. Leonards Amateurs for use of the lower pitch at the Pilot Field (The pitch now used by the current Hastings United). the proposal of ground sharing was considered, but was quickly dismissed as impractical.

United initially offered £600 rent, whilst the Amateurs offered £300, the same amount they had paid the previous season. Hastings Borough Council granted use of the lower pitch to United for £750 a year. On August 6, 1948, it was announced that Councillor Frank Oak had been appointed full-time secretary-manager of Hastings United, whilst George Steel, another councillor became the clubs first Chairman.

During their last 15 years Hastings were stalked by intense financial problems. Managers in charge during that period were forced to work with tight players' budgets, even during the successful era under Peter Sillett, players received late payments and refusals to play. By Mid-April the club had managed to pay off a £5,000 debt to the council and there were plans to sell the Squash Complex for £75,000.

After the squash complex was sold, debts still totalled to £8,000. On June 6, 1985, the directors agreed to surrender the Pilot Field lease at a meeting in the town hall. Hastings Town, who were forced to leave the Pilot Field back in 1948 as Hastings & St. Leonards, were back playing at the Pilot Field and were accepted into the Southern League, playing in the Southern Division.

Given the history, why did Hastings Town choose to change their name to Hastings United in 2002?

Football Insights

(This post was edited by rainjar on Nov 11, 2010, 4:21 PM)

southend statto
First Team Star

Nov 11, 2010, 5:06 PM

Team(s): most of my local sides

Post #79 of 136 (3569 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

can anyone tell me then what happened to the original Hastings & St. Leonards United FC that played in the South Eastern League and United League, to name but two, around a century ago?
looking at FCHD, it says (if I remember correctly) that they are the current hastings United?

trevor56
Youth Team Regular

Nov 11, 2010, 6:12 PM

Post #80 of 136 (3532 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PonteCarlo] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Without going into all the finer details - what about Gateshead and South Shields?

they became gateshead united in 1974.think they dropped the "united" bit a year or so later.not sure what name the first merger between the two clubs produced.

SuperKev!
First Team Star

Nov 11, 2010, 7:13 PM

Post #81 of 136 (3515 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainjar] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
* Enfield 1893 F.C. kept the same name after it merged with Brimsdown Rovers F.C. in 2010.
* Maldon & Tiptree F.C. created by the merger of Maldon Town F.C. and Tiptree United F.C. in 2010.

Neither of these were mergers.

ladderman
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 11, 2010, 7:41 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #82 of 136 (3502 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SuperKev!] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'd agree on the first - clearly just Enfield 1893 getting hold of a ground - but M & T seems to be a genuine merger.

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Nov 11, 2010, 8:17 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #83 of 136 (3481 views)
Shortcut

The BAAC Website history states that the club were formed in 1946 as a sister club to Bexhill Town and in 1950 they merged calling themselves Bexhill Town Athletic this carried until 1969 ( I assume they split up in 1969.) and again in 2002 to form Bexhill United. It then states that the cost of running a County League club of the size it was, meant that the clubs seperated with Bexhill United staying at the Polegrove and BAAC moving back to the Athletics stadium i believe this took place prior to the start of the 2008/09 season. So it appears they have merged twice and split twice.

GrahamN
Junior Team Star

Nov 11, 2010, 8:56 PM

Post #84 of 136 (3461 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

One more time: Maldon & Tiptree is NOT a merger - it is Maldon Town with a new name.

I'm not sure of the exact reasons why, but I believe the FA would not allow a merger to take place at the end of last season.

Whether the club now named Maldon & Tiptree merges with the currently not playing competitive football club Tiptree United at the end of this season remains to be seen.

Either way, it will be a bastardised version of a club that has taken senior football away from a village for no good reason apart from personal financial gain.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 11, 2010, 8:59 PM

Post #85 of 136 (3457 views)
Shortcut
Re: [trevor56] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PonteCarlo: "Without going into all the finer details - what about Gateshead and South Shields?

Trevor56: "they became gateshead united in 1974.think they dropped the "united" bit a year or so later.not sure what name the first merger between the two clubs produced."

I dug this out of my archive – it was sent to me a few years ago, possibly by someone on this forum or the old mailing list. It was distilled from the Gateshead club history and other sources:

South Shields FC, FL Div 3N, move to newly built Redheugh Park to become first Gateshead. FL until 1960, voted out and replaced by Peterborough. Played on in Northern Counties League, Northern Regional League, NPL (68-70), a year out (reserves in Wearside League), then Midland League (!) 71-73 at athletics stadium before folding in Aug 73.

1936 (?)
New South Shields FC forms. Played in North Eastern League, Midland League (!), Northern Counties League, North Eastern League again, Northern Regional League, then founder members of NPL in 1968 before moving to Gateshead in 1974 to become second Gateshead (as United), playing at the athletics stadium. Folded in 1977.

South Shields Mariners form, become the third South Shields FC. Wearside League 77-95, NL since.

Third Gateshead formed – this exists today.

There were no mergers.

(This post was edited by Mr. T on Nov 11, 2010, 9:01 PM)

Ashtree RockBee
First Team Star

Nov 11, 2010, 9:03 PM

Team(s): Ashford Town (Middlesex), Bognor Regis Town, Brentford

Post #86 of 136 (3449 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Two previous incarnations of Kirkley merged into Lowestoft Town (in 1887 and 1935) - a third merger had been planned in 1908, but was abandoned due to the "Good Friday Fiasco" - - - - - I'm intrigued - I've never heard of this. What was the Good Friday Fiasco?

Fanatic
First Team Star

Nov 12, 2010, 10:30 AM

Team(s):

Post #87 of 136 (3377 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ashtree RockBee] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Two previous incarnations of Kirkley merged into Lowestoft Town (in 1887 and 1935) - a third merger had been planned in 1908, but was abandoned due to the "Good Friday Fiasco" - - - - - I'm intrigued - I've never heard of this. What was the Good Friday Fiasco?

According to the Kirkley website: Due to meet 3 times over the Easter period, the Lowestoft players refused to turn out for a North Suffolk League game, fielding four Reserves and 7 players from District League side Lowestoft Mechanics, as other meetings of the clubs were due in the Hospital Cup on Saturday and the Suffolk Cup presented by the FA on Monday. Kirkley were so incensed by Lowestoft's action that the merger was almost immediately called off. At the annual Kirkley FC Dinner their Chairman, to much applause, stated that the merger would not go ahead, adding that “A Committee that could not control its own players to play when selected, could certainly not be trusted in controlling players in another club”

sandhurstbee

Nov 12, 2010, 1:22 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #88 of 136 (3345 views)
Shortcut

I was getting confused with the Ground Moves. I think I have got it right now, when Hastings United folded in 1979, Hastings Town moved into the United ground and St Leonards (STAMCO) moved into Towns old ground. I have been to both grounds with Fleet, does anyone play at the old St Leonards ground or indeed is it still there?

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

cope1

Nov 13, 2010, 12:15 PM

Post #89 of 136 (3266 views)
Shortcut
Re: [southend statto] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
can anyone tell me then what happened to the original Hastings & St. Leonards United FC that played in the South Eastern League and United League, to name but two, around a century ago?
looking at FCHD, it says (if I remember correctly) that they are the current hastings United?

No, as explained above, a faction from Hastings & St Leonard's Amateurs formed Hastings United in 1948 while HSL continued, renaming themselves Hastings Town in 1976. At this time United had the bottom pitch, Town the top one. When United folded Town moved to the bottom pitch and eventually renamed themselves United. In the mean time St Leonard's - a totally separate club - used the top pitch but they folded in 2003.

So, the Hastings United which currently plays on the bottom pitch can be traced as follows:

Hastings & St Leonard's Amateurs
Hastings Town
Hastings United

The previous United was always called United and always played on the bottom pitch.

(This post was edited by cope1 on Nov 13, 2010, 12:16 PM)

Stoned_Prof
Youth Team Star

Nov 13, 2010, 11:28 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #90 of 136 (3202 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I was getting confused with the Ground Moves. I think I have got it right now, when Hastings United folded in 1979, Hastings Town moved into the United ground and St Leonards (STAMCO) moved into Towns old ground. I have been to both grounds with Fleet, does anyone play at the old St Leonards ground or indeed is it still there?

That is correct, except that the old Hastings United folded in 1985, and I don't think STAMCO moved in straight away (not sure though).

The top ground is derelict now, and has been since St Leonards folded, I think. Also, the end nearest to the bottom ground has been built upon with an enclosed training/sports area (not sure quite what it is as I didn't get a very good look).

I took a picture of the top end of the ground through the fence when I visited Hastings United last season. Judging from the state of the pitch it might still be used for training, but the stands are in woeful condition:
http://www.facebook.com/...eb&id=1270033080

I have heard that there are tentative plans to sell both grounds and use the funds to build a single, new, more managable ground elsewhere, which would be a shame.

To help Maidstone United come home, and for up to 49 chances to win £1000 for a one-off payment of £6.99, please join the Maidstone United Virtual Stadium:
http://www.maidstoneunitedvirtualstadium.com/...tration.aspx?r=00224

(This post was edited by Stoned_Prof on Nov 13, 2010, 11:30 PM)

VP

Nov 14, 2010, 9:33 PM

Post #91 of 136 (3111 views)
Shortcut

I've just stumbled across another merger.

Carshalton Athletic - Carshalton St Andrews & Mill Lane Mission in 1908 officially although Mill Lane Mission changed their name to Carshalton Athletic and played under that name in 1907. The merger between the clubs had been agreed in 1906.

Taken from Carshalton's Wiki page.

(This post was edited by VP on Nov 14, 2010, 9:39 PM)

robgrillo
First Team Star

Nov 14, 2010, 10:00 PM

Post #92 of 136 (3095 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This summer Ardsley Celtic merged with junior side Tingley Athletic - the club now operating as Tingley Athletic
Barnoldswick Town, currently going great guns in the NWC are a merger of 3 clubs: Barnoldswick United '72, Barnoldswick Park Rovers and Salterforth Juniors. Can't remember the year they all joined together as one.
Eccleshill United merged with Phoenix Park during the 1980s.

www.robgrillo.co.uk

SparkyRebel
First Team Sub

Nov 14, 2010, 10:28 PM

Team(s): Worthing FC

Post #93 of 136 (3072 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Tring Athletic and Chichester City have been added to the list.

As the article on Tring Athletic uses the word "absorb" rather than "merge", I've used the word "absorb in every case where the merged club kept the name of one of the merging clubs immediately after the merger.

As for Worthing United and Midhurst & Easebourne, there are no references to the mergers in the Wikipedia articles on the clubs. I'll wait for references to be added to those article before I add the clubs to the Wikipedia list of club mergers.

Worthing United online references can be found:
- http://sussexcountyfc.milbint.com/...rthing%20United.html
- http://www.webteams.co.uk/...eam=worthingunitedfc

forestman
Youth Team Star

Nov 16, 2010, 6:58 AM

Post #94 of 136 (2970 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SparkyRebel] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Re the Leyton/Leyton-Pennant situation, the high court did not actually rule in favour of Leyton, Leyton Pennant did not contest the case, in order to keep OUR HISTORY, as to do so would have cost the club so much that Leyton Pennant would has ceased to exist anyway. Oh if we like them at the time had a successful business man running the club, Oops he's now staying as a guest at one of her majesty's "hotels".
We later changed our name to Waltham Forest, a name which we were going to change to when we were Leyton-Wingate by the way, which was originally approved by the FA then denied following a protest by Waltham Forest Youth F.C.. Though, as much as it might stick in my throat to say it, it would probably be best for both clubs to merge back as Leyton F.C. given both our current positions.

robgrillo
First Team Star

Nov 16, 2010, 6:05 PM

Post #95 of 136 (2877 views)
Shortcut
Re: [forestman] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Regarding the Leyton story, there are these two books that were going to be the first in a series chronicling the history of the club. As far as I know no subsequent 'volumes' were actually published though.
DUBBINED BOOTS AND SHIN PADS – A HISTORY OF LEYTON FC – PART 1: JUST ANOTHER WINTER’S TALE 1868-1880, David Ian Chapman, 1998
DUBBINED BOOTS AND SHIN PADS – A HISTORY OF LEYTON FC – PART TWO: MATLOCK SWIFTS 1889-1912, David Ian Chapman, 1999

www.robgrillo.co.uk

MiddxSaint
Youth Team Regular

Nov 16, 2010, 10:21 PM

Team(s): St Albans City

Post #96 of 136 (2831 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robgrillo] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

How about the Kingstonian split & merger......

Runwell
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 22, 2010, 1:06 AM

Team(s): Team 'Impersonating other Twitter Users' - est. 2011

Post #97 of 136 (2724 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GrahamN] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
One more time: Maldon & Tiptree is NOT a merger - it is Maldon Town with a new name.

I'm not sure of the exact reasons why, but I believe the FA would not allow a merger to take place at the end of last season.

Whether the club now named Maldon & Tiptree merges with the currently not playing competitive football club Tiptree United at the end of this season remains to be seen.

Either way, it will be a bastardised version of a club that has taken senior football away from a village for no good reason apart from personal financial gain.

The club certainly aren't in any hurry to rename the stand - it still says "Maldon Town FC", along with the beer glasses.

I went to Park Drive for a league game a few weeks back, and there are a couple of officials (along with players) who have moved down from Tiptree, who I spoke to that night. That's all the details I had. I'm off there again on saturday, so will try to find out more, without getting too personal.

A great shame for Tiptree as they had a fantastic ground. I think tbh the Tiptree owners were looking for a quick buck and had no real interest in keeping the club going. I think it's a bit more than Maldon putting pressure on them. Very sad for the locals - not sure how many, if any have decided to make the c.10m trip down the B1022 (and the ground isn't even on the Tiptree side of Maldon either), but given Maldon & Tiptree still fail to get three figure crowds, that says it all. I wonder if Tiptree Jobserve have benefited from the demise of the main village club? I expect most Tiptree fans have just become disillusioned and given up altogether.

Last match:
Monday 17th October 2016
Aveley 1-1 Phoenix Sports (Isthmian League Division 1 North)

Next scheduled match:
Tuesday 18th October 2016
Burnham Ramblers v Haringey & Waltham (Essex Senior League)

Mad Bill
First Team Star

Nov 22, 2010, 11:01 AM

Team(s): Hyde United FC; Lancashire CCC; Buffalo Bills;

Post #98 of 136 (2682 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Runwell] Club mergers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Have we had the merger (c1963) of Curzon Street and Assheton(sic) Amateurs to form Curzon Amateurs, later renamed Curzon Ashton?

Lensmeister
Reserve Team Sub

Nov 22, 2010, 4:56 PM

Team(s): Whitby Town, Croydon Rovers, Carshalton Athletic, Metropolitan League

Post #99 of 136 (2584 views)
Shortcut

Merger between Whitby AFC and Whitby Whitehall Swifts in the Summer of 1926 to become Whitby United until 1939. Then after WWII resuemed under the name Whitby Town to the present day :)

http://whitbytownhistory.blogspot.com/

Looking to compile stats for WHITBY TOWN, Croydon Rovers & Carshalton Athletic, Metropolitan League (ALL seasons). ALL info gratefully recieved.

Contact me detailshttp://nonleaguematters.co.uk/...orum.cgi?post=618255

(This post was edited by Lensmeister on Nov 22, 2010, 4:57 PM)

VP

Nov 22, 2010, 9:18 PM

Post #100 of 136 (2523 views)
Shortcut

Mentioned on another thread which reminded me.

Chobham & Ottershaw - merger of the two clubs in 1999.
In 2004 the '& Ottershaw' was dropped so now it's back to just Chobham FC. I don't know if this was a de-merger or just a change of name. I'm unaware of any adult club being called Ottershaw in recent seasons.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3