Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE

First page Previous page 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 Next page Last page  View All

Outlaw
Junior Team Star

Aug 4, 2018, 12:09 PM

Post #2651 of 2673 (10941 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mike S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Fortunately the injured player is relatively fine. Heavy concussion and a neck injury. He reckons three weeks out.

IAN S
First Team Star

Aug 4, 2018, 9:32 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #2652 of 2673 (10889 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Outlaw] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Stainland Stags 30 South Leeds 26
Yorkshire 2
h/t 18-6

These two teams traded six tries each, the only difference at the end being two missed conversions.

Ground at the back of The Pub in Stainland where a cricket match was also in progress and also a footie PSF where someone mentioned Stainland United were getting thrashed.

Probably my last summer RL game of the season.

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

(This post was edited by IAN S on Aug 4, 2018, 9:32 PM)

007Dale
First Team Regular

Aug 10, 2018, 7:28 AM

Post #2653 of 2673 (10662 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not looking too good for Widnes after losing their opening super-8ís game to London Broncos.

Will be interesting to see how many of the championship sides will make it up.

My prediction:

1. Leeds
2. Hull KR
3. Toronto
4. Salford
5. Toulouse
6. London
7. Widnes
8. Halifax

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Aug 12, 2018, 7:18 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #2654 of 2673 (10525 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday 12th August 2018
Oldham 20 Whitehaven 0 (HT 12-0)
League One (tier three)
Admission £14 (uncovered standing)
Programme £3 (24pp, glossy, colourful, decent content)
Attendance 413 (announced)
Didn't investigate refreshments

If the weather had been summery, I'd have spent this afternoon at Gawsworth, near Macclesfield, watching Cheshire Grasstrack Club's first staging of the prestigious British Masters meeting. Thick cloud and threatened showers (potentially fatal to grasstrack) prompted me to play safe and opt for rugby league. Oldham and Whitehaven are two of five clubs, level on points at kick-off, chasing three places in the League One play-offs. This fixture looked like a promotion cliffhanger. In reality, it proved an unremarkable contest between decidedly average opponents. Oldham, much the better team, eased to a comfortable victory thanks to tries, all converted by Paul Crook, in the 27th (Craig Briscoe), 34th (Dave Hewitt) and 78th (Danny Langtree) minutes. With points difference likely to be important, a stoppage time Crook penalty was the icing on the cake. Whitehaven, on attack bereft of imagination, looked like troubling the scoreboard only in the last five minutes. Connor Halliday fumbled a pass with the line at his mercy then Papua New Guinean Dion Aiye crossed the line yet failed to ground the ball correctly. Summed up the Cumbrians' performance. Oldham might have Bradford and York to play but, on this evidence, they're much more likely than Whitehaven to finish in the top five.

Whitebank (also home to Avro FC) is much improved since my two previous visits, to watch Oldham Town FC and Oldham RLFC. The clubhouse, outside the 'stadium', is now very smart and the pitch plastic. There are two areas of cover (the larger, with a few seats, oddly located in a corner; the smaller, also in a corner, set back too far from the pitch to be of any use) and proper hardstanding. Still no elevation, however. Oldham charging fourteen quid for the same view one would have at a park match is seriously taking the p***. I'm old enough to have attended several games (including the last) at Watersheddings, a characterful venue on the other side of town where Oldham's average attendance in latter years was about 4,000. The Roughyeds' crowds have shrunk by nine-tenths. Pitiful. This afternoon's sparse gathering included about 40 masochists from west Cumbria. Has any club declined more catastrophically than Oldham during rugby league's summer era? In the circumstances, credit to Oldham for continuing to issue one of the best match programmes, Roughyed Review, outside Super League. It's overpriced by a quid but I guess this reflects a low print run. Roughyed Review's editor is Roger Halstead, who, as a now-retired Oldham Evening Chronicle journalist, covered the town's rugby league club for 40 years. Goodness knows what he thinks of Oldham's ongoing plight in the graveyard division.

For sporting (and other) images, visit https://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/

Ground/venue totals: Football 898; Rugby Union 260; Rugby League 213; Cricket 125; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Aug 12, 2018, 8:13 PM)

AndrewG
First Team Star

Aug 12, 2018, 8:03 PM

Team(s):

Post #2655 of 2673 (10501 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Successive Saturdayís in Dewsbury moved me closer to completing the National Conference League - just three of the longer trips left, Skirlaugh, Beverley and Gateshead. I have deliberately left them, and hope to complete the league next summer, when we should again have trains running on my local line to make the longer journeys a little less time consuming. Not that I would put my life savings on that happening, as the electrification work is already overrunning by an unbelievable two years!

Saturday 4th August 2018 (ko 1430)
at Paul Hinchliffe Memorial Playing Fields - aka Shark Park, Shaw Cross
National Conference League Division One
Shaw Cross Sharks 8 Oulton Raiders 44 (ht 4-18)
Admission - No charge
Programme - 24 pages, £2.00
Attendance - 180 (estimate)

Shaw Cross have spent much of this season at the foot of the Division One table, but a couple of recent wins and a preponderance of home fixtures in their run in has given them hope of beating the drop. Three of the current bottom four are pretty much nailed on to go down, and they began the day separated by just two points and all in action against each other. I certainly didnít see such a one sided contest coming, Oulton running in eight tries, and it could well have been more such was the visitors dominance from the outset. Shaw Cross rarely threatened, their two scores very much out of the blue, a length of the field break after an interception, and a piece of individual opportunism from their scrum half.

Shaw Crossís base is on the main Leeds Road out of town, and just around the corner from Dewsbury Rams stadium. Arriva Yorkshire bus services 202 and 203 take just ten minutes to reach the town centre from stops right outside the ground, with a Saturday afternoon service frequency of every fifteen minutes. The clubhouse and changing rooms are in the grandly titled Shaw Cross Club for Young People, a couple of hundred yards along the road. From there you can walk to the pitch either along the main road or via a path from the bottom of the club car park - there is little difference in distance. The clubhouse has changing rooms downstairs and bar upstairs - no real ale - with the staircase walls lined with an impressive array of photographs of Shaw Cross and Heavy Woollen District rugby league.

The pitches back directly on to Leeds Road, where there is a line of heavy boulders, presumably to prevent vehicles being driven on to the grassed area. Many of them are suitable for sitting on, and, being atop a gently sloping grass banking, they offer a fine elevated viewpoint of the nearest pitch, which is the first team one. This pitch is fully railed with a permanent dug out on each touchline. A second pitch further from the road is railed along each side and is today staging a second team fixture, whilst in between a junior pitch is marked out on land that also has some training lights. A club official sold programmes pre match in the clubhouse and went around the pitch during the first half, but the open nature of the site precludes charging admission in the regular sense.

There is no scoreboard, and no pitch side refreshment or toilet facilities. However, there is a convenience store attached to the petrol station directly across the road, whilst an ice cream van pulled up midway through the first half and stayed in place for much of the rest of the game. The elevated position offers fine views over the high ground to the north west, and makes for idyllic viewing conditions today, with a cooling breeze alleviating the warm temperatures. Many of the crowd were lounging on the grass banking, and this is certainly a ground to save for nice weather. Just a pity today didnít bring a closer game.

Saturday 11th August 2018 (ko 1430)
at Crow Nest Park, Dewsbury
National Conference League Division Three
Dewsbury Celtic 26 Eastmoor Dragons 28 (ht 10-14)
Admission - No charge
Programme - 16 pages, £2.00
Attendance - 120 (estimate)

Another crucial fixture on paper, this one between two teams beginning the day level on points, and in a group of as many as five teams battling for the last two promotion play off spots. This one, though, fully lived up to expectations, the visitors never trailing up until the 50th minute, before four changes of lead in the final half hour provided outstanding entertainment, with a fairly controversial ending.

Dewsbury Celticís base is at the Dewsbury Irish National League Club, in the townís Westtown district. It is only a ten or fifteen walk from the railway station, with the outward walk being substantially uphill. The large clubhouse has changing rooms to the rear, and a lounge, concert room and games room all served by a central bar, but no real ale. Plenty of photographs on the wall indicate the rugby league clubís long presence here, but it is not primarily a rugby club. A gate on the car park gives access to a dirt track behind the houses on Park Parade for the walk to the pitch, again uphill. Cars can gain direct access to park pitch side from Boothroyd Lane to the north west.

Not surprisingly, given all the uphill previously mentioned, this is another exposed venue with fine views, and best enjoyed in good weather, which we again got today. The main pitch is railed on three sides, and roped off at one end, with a substantial corner to corner slope. A second unfenced pitch runs at right angles, and there are also training lights on one part of the large grassed area. Advertising hoardings are slotted onto the pitch side barriers pre match and removed at full time, and the outside of the hut they are stored in behind the posts doubles as a manually operated scoreboard.

I spotted the lady with the programmes in the clubhouse pre match and bought my copy there, but the only attempt to sell them came when an official made his way around the pitch during the first half. The front cover states the £2.00 charge is for programme and admission, but this is another venue where charging admission in the normal sense would be impossible. The pitches are part of Crow Nest Park, a traditional large town park, but separated from the main part of the park by woodland, although tennis courts can be spotted in one corner. Pitch side refreshments were available from a table set up in front of one the parked cars, flasks of hot water allowing hot drinks to be served, as well as cold drinks and crisps and confectionary.

The game reminded that a close rugby league match can provide some of the best sporting entertainment available, but my experience last week also demonstrated that choosing such a game is very much luck of the draw. Here, I was surprised that the visitors, trailing 26-24, chose to run a very kickable penalty in the dying minutes, but it soon emerged the young referee had told them they were four points behind only to quickly realise his error. It was a particularly poor mistake given that the scoreboard had been correct throughout.

Needless to say the Eastmoor goal kicker, who is also their player coach, was not slow to express his displeasure, and it seemed the officials were almost relieved to be spared their embarrassment when the visitors went over in the corner for a stoppage time winner. Problem was, there was a question whether the try scorer was in touch, and an even greater question if he dropped the ball before grounding, something he suggested he did to his team mates on the walk back from the pitch. The try stood though, and, whilst as a neutral, I usually find some of the criticism of officials ridiculously over the top, the referee didnít half make a rod for his own back here.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 17, 2018, 12:15 AM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #2656 of 2673 (10296 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Booked and printed my ticket online for London Broncos v Leeds Rhinos at Ealing on Sunday.

Thecranewife
Junior Team Sub

Aug 19, 2018, 9:50 PM

Post #2657 of 2673 (10121 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Great day out at Ealing, although a very part time Broncos fan thought it was a good game and a good crowd

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 19, 2018, 11:49 PM

Post #2658 of 2673 (10097 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Thecranewife] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As for the game:

London Broncos 32-48 Leeds Rhinos
Super 8 Qualifiers
Attendance 2,500 est, the vast majority from Leeds
Admission £20
Programme £3 (32 pages but no team line-up's)

My second London v Leeds encounter this summer (after Skolars v Hunslet in June) wasn't as close as the scoreline suggests as Rhinos raced into a big lead scoring three early tries all in the left corner, two conversions, before Broncos pulled a try back. Two more converted tries before the break gave the visitors a 28-6 half time lead. Broncos scored the first try of the second half, unconverted, to reach double figures but the visitors put the game out of sight with three converted tries, one of which was an 8 point try as they were given two conversion attempts, presumably an infringement during the first kick. This made the score 10-48 but Broncos deserve credit for not giving up and keeping the game entertaining scoring four unanswered tries as Leeds eased off, only the last they failed to convert. Expected this game to attract plenty of familiar faces but didn't run into any until a hopper from Reading recognised me at the end of the game.

Trailfinders Sports Ground has improved a lot since my only previous visit for Ealing rugby union club, who had then just been promoted to National League 2 South, now in Championship. However it still looks a long way off being able to stage top level rugby in either code. The only seating then was in front of the clubhouse with the roof high above, now more seats have been added all the way along the balcony above making it look more like a stand, with another stand behind the far end comprising 6 rows of seats under a canvas roof quite common place at rugby grounds. More unusual seating behind the posts at the entrance end in the shape of seven open stands on wheels each having three rows of black painted wooden benches. On the side to the left is another pitch which, like the main one, is 3G, the two of them divided by an astroturf bank and two large wooden dugouts which have two floors between an equally high camera gantry making viewing on this side problematic.

The problem with Broncos playing on Sunday is the West Ealing to Greenford Railway line is closed which means having to catch the 297 bus which runs between Ealing Broadway and Perivale tube station. I caught the this bus from the former to the game and walked back to the latter, which is closer, afterwards via a footpath which cuts through Pitshanger Park and Ealing Golf Course before crossing a footbridge over the A40, about a 25 minute walk.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Aug 21, 2018, 7:43 AM

Post #2659 of 2673 (9954 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Thecranewife] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Great day out at Ealing ... and a good crowd

1,793, officially.

Ground/venue totals: Football 898; Rugby Union 260; Rugby League 213; Cricket 125; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 9, 2018, 11:44 PM

Post #2660 of 2673 (9490 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for that FL. Can you please let me know if you hear the official attendance figure for this?

Saturday 8th September - 1700 @ Kingston Park
Betfred League One
Newcastle Thunder 50-22 Workington Town
Attendance 500 est, over half from Workington
Ticket £13 on day
No programme but free teamsheets available in clubhouse

Surprised nobody on this forum has been to a rugby league match the last two weekends, perhaps due to the union season starting. My football match at Druid Park - West Allotment Celtic v Chester-le-Street - finished at 4:52pm, straight into my car on the final whistle saw me parked up in Ascot Court just over the road from the ground at 4:57pm, no residential parking restrictions which are usually in place for Falcons home games, into the ground at 4:59pm where AC/DC's Thunderstruck was being played over the PA as the teams came out. Walked straight in as I bought my ticket from the club shop before going to the football as I remember not being able to pay on the gate on my previous visit for rugby union. This match was part of a double header with Gateshead Storm v Clock Face Miners in NCL3 at 1430. The main game produced quite a shock result and by a margin that wouldn't have surprised me if it had been the other way round, perhaps the 3G surface is a big advantage for the hosts. It was Workington who scored the first try to lead 6-0 but the hosts came roaring back with a converted try to level, then take the lead with two unconverted tries to lead 14-6. Workington then scored two tries, converting the latter to lead 16-14. This turned out to be the last time Town were ahead in the game as the hosts responded with a converted try, a penalty and another converted try to lead 28-16 at the break. Expected a Workington comeback in the second half but instead Thunder pulled further away with four unanswered tries, one of which was a 70 yard interception run, and three conversions to reach the half century before the visitors scored a late consolation by which time many of their fans who had travelled across the A69 had left in shock and let down at how their team had played in front of a big away following. It will be interesting to see if Thunder can build on this huge result and make a promotion push next year.

Only change since my only previous visit in September 2011, when I saw Newcastle Falcons lose 3-23 to Bath on a Saturday evening on the opening day of the union season, is the installation of the 3G pitch. The stands and terraces still the same, only the old main stand side is used for rugby league, about 400 seats, terracing to the right and hard standing in front and to the left. I understand the bigger stand opposite is used when a large away following is expected like Bradford Bulls or York City Knights. There were probably no more than 250 home fans present, I'd imagine after the move and name change that Thunder lost all Sunderland fans who used to watch them at Gateshead as they wouldn't want to support a team now calling itself Newcastle!

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Sep 10, 2018, 8:52 AM

Post #2661 of 2673 (9463 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It was 729, CH.

Moving to Newcastle has been good for Thunder. Attendances are much better than at Gateshead (excepting the Super League spell, of course). The club's league average this season is 1,058. Perhaps fewer present on Saturday because the football season has begun. As I know from living in the region during the 1990s, in the North East football comes before everything, even for multi-sport followers!

Had I been at home, rather than away on holiday (and, still, I'm reading this forum over breakfast!), I'd have watched the York-Oldham match yesterday.

With one round of the regular season remaining, League One's average attendances are: Bradford 3633; York 1477; Newcastle 1058; Doncaster 838; Workington 802; Whitehaven 751; Hunslet 620; Keighley 515; Oldham 460; Coventry 416; North Wales 380; London Skolars 359; West Wales 285; Hemel 177. Doncaster's £60 season ticket initiative has seen their crowds grow 49% on 2017. York's are up 36%, Workington's 23% and Hunslet's 50%. The 'Bradford Effect' has played a part, admittedly. Of greatest concern, Oldham's are down 42% after relegation from the Championship. The 'crowd' of 274 for the recent West Wales game is the lowest home attendance in Oldham's history. When I started watching RL, Oldham, then at Watersheddings, could count on a core support of about 4,000!

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Sep 10, 2018, 9:06 AM)

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Sep 23, 2018, 5:48 PM

Post #2662 of 2673 (9077 views)
Shortcut

Sunday 23rd September 2018
York City Knights 32 Whitehaven 14 (HT 10-8)
League One (level three, 3pm kick-off)
Admission £15 (main stand seat)
Programme £2 (24pp, glossy, the cover action image changes for every game - a nice touch)
Attendance 3,223 (including about a hundred from Cumbria)
Didn't bother seeking out refreshments

York secured rugby league's third tier title, and automatic promotion to the Championship, with a patchy performance against a pedestrian Whitehaven side keen to slow down the game at every opportunity. On a lovely, sunny afternoon, neither team were anywhere near their best for a pressure match both needed to win (or at least draw): York to top the table; Haven to claim the final play-off place. Key spell was between the 57th and 64th minutes, during which York extended their lead from 12-8 to 24-8. Haven scored two very well taken tries, in the 39th and 68th minutes, but shot themselves in the foot by conceding no fewer than six penalties directly in front of the posts. York stand-off Connor Robinson accepted the gifts gratefully. One of Robinson's penalties edged York two points ahead at the break after a tight, tense first half. The reliable Robinson set new York records for points (418) and goals (185) in a season. The hosts played with more freedom in the second period, finishing with four tries.

A good-sized crowd turned up for the celebration. Unfortunately, the presentation of the trophies (oddly, there are two) was very poorly organised. It meant newly-appointed full-time RFL CEO Ralph Rimmer was left doing what he does best: standing around like a spare part. A peripheral figure in every respect. Bizarrely, Rimmer was wearing the sort of suit you'd expect to see on a farmer spending a couple of hours away from his tractor. Honestly, is this dullard the best individual the RFL can find to head up its operation? While the likes of Rimmer remain involved at the top level of rugby league, I simply don't have any confidence about the sport's future in Britain.

Congratulations to York - worthy champions, and a club very much heading in the right direction after an overdue change of ownership. With the city's football team now a complete joke, the Knights have an opportunity to become York's No 1 sporting attraction. There should be some great games (none of them involving York City FC!) in prospect when York's community stadium opens next season.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Sep 23, 2018, 7:47 PM)

007Dale
First Team Regular

Sep 27, 2018, 2:43 PM

Post #2663 of 2673 (8839 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Not looking too good for Widnes after losing their opening super-8ís game to London Broncos.

My prediction:

1. Leeds
2. Hull KR
3. Toronto
4. Salford
5. Toulouse
6. London
7. Widnes
8. Halifax

Well it all comes to a conclusion Over the next four days (but for the million pound game).

I could be fairly close with my prediction, real shame the Qualfiiers are ending after this season as itís been very exciting.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 27, 2018, 3:58 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #2664 of 2673 (8819 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

My prediction:

1. Leeds
2. Hull KR
3. Toronto
4. Salford
5. Toulouse
6. London
7. Widnes
8. Halifax

Well it all comes to a conclusion Over the next four days (but for the million pound game).

I could be fairly close with my prediction, real shame the Qualfiiers are ending after this season as itís been very exciting.

Exciting but all very predictable. What would happen if Toulouse got promoted after saying they are not yet ready because of stadium concerns and the same would apply to London.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 28, 2018, 8:28 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #2665 of 2673 (8734 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well thats Toulouse out barring the shouting.

Dead rubber fixtures in the final couple of rounds of the 8s yet the Qualifiers sees 4 games with something big on them played over 4 days. I doubt the RFL had any say in it but can you imagine such a scenario happening in football.

Thecranewife
Junior Team Sub

Sep 30, 2018, 7:48 PM

Post #2666 of 2673 (8504 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My second visit of the season to watch The London Broncos. Loved the game but came away thinking why does Respect work for Rugby, but not football?

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Sep 30, 2018, 8:43 PM

Post #2667 of 2673 (8487 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
My second visit of the season to watch The London Broncos. Loved the game but came away thinking why does Respect work for Rugby, but not football?

It's a good question. During my lifetime football has become a soulless sport played and populated by cheats. From top to bottom, it is rotten with gamesmanship. Respect (lower case r) for one's opponents and match officials is so intrinsic to both codes of rugby (and numerous other sports) neither needs a Respect (upper case R) campaign to improve standards. As anyone who watches football regularly can only be too well aware, the FA's Respect campaign is a sick joke. Other than teams taking the pitch together, and shaking hands before kick-off, it appears to have achieved nothing. There is less respect in football now than there ever has been.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Sep 30, 2018, 8:45 PM)

BDA_85
Youth Team Regular

Oct 3, 2018, 12:11 PM

Post #2668 of 2673 (8221 views)
Shortcut

Sad reality.
I remember an elderly man that used to come and watch me play rugby league once said to me " football is a gentlemans game played by thugs, rugby is a thugs game played by gentlemen". Tell me he was wrong.

Mike S
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 17, 2018, 9:42 PM

Post #2669 of 2673 (1853 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BDA_85] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

University of Aberystwyth 0 Cardiff Met uni 70

Working is West Wales dealing with the floods but staying in Aber. I can see me struggling to get a game Saturday so when I noticed this in RL express thought it worth the effort, even though it meant being up at 5am and having. 135 miles under my belt by 9am for a match I had no idea of it would be on although there was an RU uni backup

Arrived at 1.40 to find one RU and one RL game on and another RU game for the first team elsewhere

The ground are adjacent to but the other side of the Vale of Rheidol railway, where for those interested no 8 chugged past the car park just after I arrived, from the ground used in the Mid Wales League

There are about eight pitches in total in a large field

Aber Uni had sixteen players available today but after being outclassed today may struggle for numbers away in places such as Bristol.

Score was I think 0 70 but may be slightly different,

Ref came from Warrington as none available locally

The RU match on the adjacent field which I believe was Uni Aber res v Uni of South Wales finished after 50 mins as the away team conceded. Certainly not heard of that before

Jury still out on whether this was worth an early start and paperwork until 8pm but I suppose answer yes as I would do the same again for a new venue, especially RL next week if minimal cost

(This post was edited by Mike S on Oct 17, 2018, 9:45 PM)

IAN S
First Team Star

Oct 20, 2018, 8:31 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #2670 of 2673 (1536 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mike S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Doncaster (Toll Bar) 76 Queens 22
Pennine Championship
h/t 44-12

h/c 39

My first, and last, Pennine League game of the season, as this was the only place I needed apart from the lower divisions. It fitted the bill well, allowing me to get back to watch the Blades on Sky, (should have not bothered).

Queens scored straight from the kick off, they were then swamped by a faster and fitter side who scored fourteen tries in total. Queens managed a couple of consolation tries at the end of the game. Credit to them for keeping going and the game was played in a good spirit throughout.

Toll Bar is reached by way of Bentley and the two places are equally run-down. The site of the old Tattersfield is still there, unused and derelict. Toll Bar's ground is one of the best at amateur level with a clubhouse and four pitches, although two are derelict themselves.

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

ciderjon
First Team Star

Oct 25, 2018, 11:50 AM

Team(s): Bristol Sonics RL (RIP)

Post #2671 of 2673 (1235 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

University of Bath 46 University of Gloucestershire 12

BUCS Premier South
Attn 19 f +n

Venue here is the Sulis Club, which is no longer a club and has been owned by Bath for a number of years. It also hosts Trowbridge and District league football. Three rugby pitches in use today, RL on pitch two complete with a leaning goal upright.

A fine autumn afternoon and a fine game to go with it. Malcolm in the Middle kept the game flowing, helped by really quick dummy half movement from Bath. Better than most BUCS games, but this is the top division (geographically split north/south) and Malcolm told me that one side had a player who also played for Halifax, while the other team had a bloke with six appearances for Irish Students.

Even at this level though you must forgive handling errors and missed tackles though, this is still very much grass roots stuff. BUCS stuff is not worth travelling far for but if you are nearby , as others on here agree, a fine afternoon can ensue.

Last new Welsh beer: Brew Monster Rye IPA dr

Mike S
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 28, 2018, 8:34 AM

Post #2672 of 2673 (874 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ciderjon] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Seacroft Sharks 30 Beeston Broncos 32

Pennine League at Seacroft WMC attendance 50

I am still reluctant to do RL as cancellation rates are still in the 40% range and info hard to obtain

However there were back ups both in RL and RU kicking off 30 mins later. No problems however today with players in the car park when I arrived 45 mins before the start

Ground is behind the social club with a rail down part of one side and slight bank on the other. Google Maps shows this as a football pitch but no sign of such use this season

Both clubs short of players. sharks only having 13 and visitors 15 and the home side played more than half the game with 12 due to an injury, sib bin and late red card

Very physical game as Leeds derbies always are and I doubt I have done a match where the lead has changed so often

RL still my favourite sport and this is my favourite level although may go to Anfield next Sunday but nothing here or from results to suggest distance travel is sensible

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Nov 14, 2018, 12:31 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #2673 of 2673 (189 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jamesie] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

International Test Series
England 0 New Zealand 34
Admission £55
Attendance 32,186

Played at Elland Road, Leeds

A disappointing end to what has been a successful series for England, running out 2-1 victors over the three games to lift the Baskerville Shield. In truth, England were never really in the game and looked pretty ordinary all in all against a New Zealand determined to avoid a whitewash. Makes you wonder how the series might have panned out had the Kiwis turned up in this form in the previous tests at Hull and Liverpool.

I think I'm probably in to double figures for RL-related visits to Elland Road and I must admit this was probably the best one and has actually given me a bit more enthusiasm for the place. It really had a 'big game' feel to the event and credit to the RFL for doing a tremendous job of staging the Remembrance events pre-match with wreath-laying, bugler, minute's silence and a tremendous image of the two sides intertwined in respect for the fallen.

Having used the car park just past the railway bridge on my two previous visits (both for BWFC games in the last 8 months), an earlier than planned arrival meant we were one of the first cars to nab a spot to park on the A62 - turn left off the M621 rather than towards the ground - which admittedly I have done previously and would certainly recommend if you don't mind a 10-15 minute walk to the ground. Continue back down the A62 and you rejoin the M62 in a matter of minutes near Batley, completing negating the need to fight with any match traffic trying to get on to the M621.

A pre-match pint at the Old Peacock was previously a military effort trying to get served, but on this occasion we discovered they had a huge marquee in the back gardens with a dozen or more serving points complete with Yorkshire Blonde handpumps. With the rain holding off and a Jam-style band playing, it was all rather enjoyable before a pit stop at Graveley's chippy (excellent as always) en route to our spot in the 'away' part of the John Charles Stand. Padded seats on the front row of the upper deck, right above the tunnel with six seats between the four of us. Don't know why I've ever complained about Elland Road in the past Smile

First page Previous page 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3