Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION

First page Previous page 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 Next page Last page  View All

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 17, 2018, 11:05 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #1676 of 1694 (7650 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Fri 16th - STH WEST 1 WEST: NORTH PETHERTON 25 BRIDGWATER & ALBION 22

ADM INC PROG: £5. ATT: h/c 750

Took a detour on way home to experience this Zummerzet derby fixture. Glad I did too, as this was an excellent game well competed from start to finish. Pethy deserved to just edge the match over their Bridgy local rivals. Only two miles apart, in the shadow of the M5, this is a derby which brings the locals out in abundance creating a terrific atmosphere.

For a small town club, North Petherton have done well to reach level six. With the fall of the ‘bigger boys’ from higher divisions, they now compete on an equal footing with their illustrious neighbours. The ground is okay too, with it being railed on three sides & a large covered terrace on the clubhouse side. As always in rugby, many in attendance were more focused on ale consumption than the game! Foggy drive back across the levels, but a good night out.

KRTM :-)

Also at North Petherton. Visitors opened the scoring after 15 minutes with a drop goal which went through via the posts, the hosts roared back with two tries, one converted, to lead 12-3 at half time. Visitors scored their first try early in the second half, unconverted, hosts scored a penalty to take a 7 point lead which was wiped out when the visitors scored a converted try to level at 15-15. It would have been problematic had it ended this way as the game doubled as a Somerset Cup Quarter Final, would they have played extra time for a league game? Soon after Albion took the lead for only the second time with a converted try, a penalty from Pethy reduced it to 4 points before they restored the lead with a converted try with 10 minutes still to play, but they withstood a late onslaught to hold on for the victory.

Ground has been used for rugby league in the past by Somerset Vikings. There was extra terracing in the shape of wooden tables and chairs in front of the clubhouse being used as elevated viewing by some of the large crowd. There is a caravan park behind the end to the right of the large terrace, while the unrailed end to the left has a hard standing path behind. Programme was just a 4 page insert being given away without the glossy shell which they seemed to have run out of by the time I arrived 15 minutes before kick off but found one discarded in a bin in good enough condition to take home with me.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 17, 2018, 11:12 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #1677 of 1694 (7644 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Welsh Premiership : RGC 1404 38 Bedwas 12. Admission £10; Progs on-line only, so none. Attendance : 684

Thanks to the ramblings of Hairychopper, I was made aware of a number of double possibilties with this lot and had pencilled in their home game against Cross Keys on December 8th which kicks off at 17.30 but as the only side I need in the Welsh Cup, Ynysddu Welfare, are at home that day, I made the painful decision to get up even earlier than I have to for work to get to today's 11.00 start.
With clear roads, I was at the Zip World Stadiwm (!) for 10.30 on a beautiful sunny morning. The ground is in Eirias Park, signposted off the A55; just take the Old Colwyn turn, left up the hill and right at the first roundabout (straight on is Llanelian Road where the football ground can be found). There's parking aplenty with side roads almost empty as well. Eirias Park is a very pleasant spot with many sports facilities and I read that Colwyn Bay FC played on three different grounds here during their history, most recently in the 1980's when the current stadium is probably where they played. I didn't go then, but even if I had, dottirofhod.....Tongue
Extensive development was carried out in 2011 with the WRU intending to create a home for a new regional team in the north. In the event, the newly-founded RGC 1404 were placed in the third-level Division 1 East in 2012/13 which they won. The club then spent three seasons in the Championship before making the Premiership in 2016/17, finishing 4th and after today's win they sit 8th in the 16-team table, once again comfortable. The name is an acronym of Rygbi Gogledd Cymru (North Wales Rugby) and 1404 was the year that Owain Glyndwr became Prince of Wales. They won't let it lie, will the Welsh. It's a more than decent stadium with two stands seating over 2,500 with the main stand flanked by terraces that can hold a further 3,500 and it lies in a natural bowl. One end is a steep grassy bank, probably out of bounds with the other containing corporate buildings. Behind the stand is a large tented bar with a small stand from Nant Brewery in one corner. The only catering I could see was a grease-wagon just beyond which inexplicably weren't doing breakfast baps today, just burgers, hot dogs and chips. A decent burger and cuppa cost £5.50.
No progs as mentioned, to the chagrin of a few spectators who moaned about not having any reading material to pore over. I was told today's attendance was the lowest of the season, the average being a pretty healthy 1,100 though talk of becoming another regional side in the Pro 14 league has subsided, the club more resigned to being a feeder club to those in that league and the English Premiership.
The game was a tad one-sided after an early exchange of tries, Bedwas not helping themselves with two sin-binnings and all-in-all, a very pleasant way to pass a sunny Saturday morning.
I thought I spotted cherryhopper at half-time basking topless and in his trademark shorts lounging on a grassy area but on closer inspection it turned out to be a training dummy.
Time for a couple of halves at the Brunning & Price Pen-y-Bryn on the hillside overlooking the coast where the Bendigeidfran from Bragdy Lleu was outstanding. In fact the area, and the drive up there almost had me changing my opinion of Colwyn Bay which is a horrible large blot on the North Walian coast. Almost.
Onto Mochdre Sports for the 14.00 kick-off which will be reported on in WDYG.

AndrewG
First Team Star

Nov 18, 2018, 8:50 PM

Team(s):

Post #1678 of 1694 (7400 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I did see Colwyn Bay at Eirias Park in the 1980s. It was before my groundhopping days when I used to watch Chorley home and away, and we played there in the FA Trophy. How times change - a basic railed off pitch, and I don't think it was floodlit, could stage a FA Trophy game. It was the depths of winter and pitch and surroundings were a mud bath, but the FA Trophy was a far more interesting competition then than it is now!

The ground was adjacent to the old A55 as the rugby stadium is now - in those days the new bypass only existed on a drawing board. Eirias Park covers a decent acreage, so whether the footprint of the two grounds overlapped I have no idea, and, probably like you Paddy, I don't care. If I kept a count of grounds visited, which I don't, they would be two different grounds visited for two different sports.

AndrewG
First Team Star

Nov 18, 2018, 9:03 PM

Team(s):

Post #1679 of 1694 (7393 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndrewG] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A sparse rugby union programme on the 10th November, combined with bad weather, saw me settle on a revisit to Chester. Little has changed since I was there three years ago, covered on page 43 of this thread, hence the lack of a full report. The one exception to that, as has been mentioned elsewhere, is that they have installed an artificial pitch, which has also resulted in hard standing extending all around the ground. Entertaining enough game, in which Chester defeated Tynedale 33-22, despite the visitors enjoying long spells of territorial dominance, but I was delighted to get back to visiting a new ground this week.

Saturday 17th November 2018 (ko 1415)
at West Croft Terrace, Lowca
RFU Northern Division Cumbria One (Level Seven)
St Benedicts 22 Aspatria 17 (ht 15-3)
Admission - No charge
Programme - 8 pages, £2.00
Attendance - 100 (estimate)

Whitehaven based St Benedicts usual home ground is at Newlands Avenue in Mirehouse, next door to the football pitch used by the club of that name which some of you may have visited. It has, for some time, been extremely prone to waterlogging, and is currently out of action whilst substantial drainage and levelling work is undertaken. Bennies have been playing all season at Lowca ARLFC - who themselves ply their trade in the second tier of rugby league’s Cumberland League - and, afaik, they expect to be here for the rest of this campaign.

Strike action every Saturday on Northern Rail has meant Whitehaven has been inaccessible by train all season, and, with the last useful bus out of town at 1705, I considered that too tight to be comfortable for 3pm kick offs. The winter months bring earlier kick offs, but probably not the best weather for visiting Lowca, located high on the cliff tops, so today’s unseasonal warmth and clear blue skies was too good an opportunity to miss. Travelling by bus undoubtedly added to my journey time, but Stagecoach offer a good value Cumbria wide day ticket for £11.30, and I had the bonus of a morning ride from Penrith to Cockermouth through some of the finest scenery England has to offer, whilst changing at Workington on my return gave just enough time for a call at one of my favourite chippies. Lowca itself has a half hourly service from Whitehaven, terminating right opposite the ground, or you could walk down to the A595 to meet northbound services, no more than a mile away and from which the clubhouse is clearly visible.

Facilities are located at the northern end of the ground in a two tier building that has changing rooms downstairs and clubhouse upstairs. A sizeable lounge was utilised today and there is also a function room, whilst a balcony overlooks the pitch from behind the posts, though today that involves staring into a very low sun. No real ale, and I saw no signs of hot drinks being available, but pies could be had from the bar. Post match rugby hospitality was apparently done back at the home team’s base in Mirehouse. Despite there only being one obvious entrance, no attempt was made to charge admission, and I saw no sign of programmes until a gentleman came round selling them at pitch side around ten minutes into the game. A match specific but fairly basic issue, its price obviously reflects a donation in lieu of admission.

Two pitches stand side by side, both sloping end to end, with the main pitch fully railed with modern plastic barriers. Markings on the second pitch are not clear enough to be made out from a distance, and there are no posts in place, but football posts are propped up at either end of the main pitch barrier, so presumably the round ball game is played here. It is grass standing, rather wet underfoot in places, and there is a small area covered by a section of training lights. You are as close to the cliff tops here as at Kells, but, because the land continues to rise slightly beyond the pitches, the sea is not visible. In any case, facing that way would be plagued by the sun, but the backdrop looking east over rolling countryside from such an elevated viewpoint was glorious.

Cumbrian clubs are in a stand alone league at step seven this season, supposedly for one year only whilst the RFU tries to find a solution to clubs from neighbouring counties objecting to the travelling costs of having to come up here. Cumbria One has just eight clubs, and after a round of home and away fixtures will split into two tiers of four. Bennies have been a force at this level recently, but are having to regroup after finding the step up to level six a challenge too far, but the second of their two victories to date this season was in their last home game against league leaders Keswick. Aspatria are in their perennial position amongst the front runners, unbeaten since a surprise opening day setback with five wins and one draw.

A fiercely competitive and entertaining game sees Bennies make a flying start playing downhill, two tries amongst the first half points that all come in the opening quarter. After that the hosts suffer back to back sin binnings, yet reach the interval without seeing their lead diminished, but Aspatria start the second period with two quick scores to lead 17-15. However, the home pack starts to really dominate at the scrum, and the visitors concede first a sin binning and then a penalty try. A red card for a home player is soon followed by a second sin binning for Aspatria, so most of the closing stages are played out at fourteen a side, but by now Bennies look the most likely to add to the score, so the visitors are probably relieved to hang on to their losing bonus point.

This was the fifth time I have seen Aspatria play in 2018, and, whilst I saw them win a home game, they have been beaten in all four away games I have witnessed. At a guess I suspect that will amount to more than half of their total defeats over the calendar year. Perhaps it will be worth contacting them the next time one of their games features on my radar, to see it they want to make it worth my while to go elsewhere!

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 19, 2018, 1:55 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #1680 of 1694 (7317 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Welsh Premiership : RGC 1404 38 Bedwas 12. Admission £10; Progs on-line only, so none. Attendance : 684

The ground is in Eirias Park, signposted off the A55; just take the Old Colwyn turn, left up the hill and right at the first roundabout (straight on is Llanelian Road where the football ground can be found). There's parking aplenty with side roads almost empty as well. Eirias Park is a very pleasant spot with many sports facilities and I read that Colwyn Bay FC played on three different grounds here during their history, most recently in the 1980's when the current stadium is probably where they played. I didn't go then, but even if I had, dottirofhod.....Tongue
===============================================

You know I don't read this section AngelicCrazy.
I saw Colwyn Bay there in 82/83 season , after 2 renovations do I need to tick again ?

===============================================

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 139/ 115 / 24(You know my rules) @ 14 /12 /2018.(Only 11 x 0-0's)

Project TFTTUEFAG's2018/19. Clubs 712.Grounds (Variable).
Need - 108 ( 15.2%).

Seagull
First Team Star

Nov 20, 2018, 2:56 PM

Post #1681 of 1694 (7132 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndrewG] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Saturday 21st January 2017 (ko 1400)
at Burnbrae, Milngavie
Scottish Rugby National League Division Two
West of Scotland 19 Glasgow High Kelvinside 17 (ht 14-0)
Admission - £5.00 inc 24 page programme
Attendance - 250 (estimate)

I invariably enjoy any visits I make to Scotland, and travelling to Glasgow or Edinburgh by train offers far better value for money than heading a similar distance south, but my trips north of the border in the depths of winter are usually curtailed by the vagaries of the weather. However, I had last been in Glasgow just five weeks ago, and once again it looked the best direction to head this weekend. I am reasonably certain it is the first time I have ever travelled to Scotland for either football or rugby in both December and January of the same winter.

Milngavie is around a 25 minute train ride from the centre of Glasgow, with four trains per hour, two serving Queen Street and two serving Glasgow Central. The railway line passes the rugby ground just south of the town centre, and when I passed a couple of hours before kick off the area was shrouded in a pocket of fog. However, it was clear just a little further north as the train arrived at Milngavie station. After lunching at a café in the pleasant town centre, I walked the half mile or so back to the ground, most of it a very pleasant stroll alongside Allander Water as it meanders through Lennox Park, and was pleased to find the fog had lifted and the match was to be played under glorious blue skies.

West of Scotland are one of Scotland’s oldest rugby clubs, being formed in 1865, and carry their official title of West of Scotland Football Club on the front page of the match programme. For much of their history they shared Hamilton Crescent with West of Scotland Cricket Club, but left that ground after the Second World War following a dispute between the two clubs. They then led a nomadic existence for a number of years, before eventually acquiring a home of their own on the current site in 1960. The modern cantilevered stand is much more recent than that, apparently replacing an earlier wooden version, so it does have the appearance of a relatively new ground.

The clubhouse is set back some distance behind the posts at the northern end of the ground. It is a two tiered structure, with the large function room on the ground floor hosting a pre match Burns lunch. An upstairs lounge, which has panoramic windows looking out over the pitch, was available for spectators use. No hand pumps at the bar, but they did have Seven Giraffes from Alloa based brewers Williams Brothers available in bottles. Coffee was available at the bar at £1.00 a cup, but no hot food was on sale whilst the pre match meal was going on. I suspect pies would have been available later, possibly post match, as the clubhouse was too far from the pitch to have time to call in at half time without missing some of the match.

The focal point of the ground is the aforementioned stand on the western touchline, ten rows of individual plastic seats providing an excellent unobstructed view. The pitch is railed on both sides, with hard standing all the way around, and a slightly elevated area of grass banking opposite the stand. There are modern perspex dug outs, as well as an electronic scoreboard. The first teams have use of changing rooms under the stand, but the second team, playing on a pitch that runs end to end at the southern extreme of the complex, have to trek from changing rooms attached to the clubhouse. The main pitch is not floodlit, but the second team pitch has lights, as does a caged 4G surface closer to the railway line.

Today’s game is a local derby, the teams separated by just four miles, and they are familiar foes, having been promoted together from National Three last season. GHK have fared much better after the step up, a record of won 10 lost 4 placing them just below the promotion spots, whilst West having won 4 lost 10 are just above the relegation zone. In truth, however, the gaps in the table are such that both look likely to remain in this division next season, and my choice of game is made on the basis of a ground I was keen to visit. It is a real bonus then to get a cracking contest, with the result in doubt until the very last kick, when a potential match winning GHK penalty came back off the post.

Saturday 17th November 2018, noon kick off
Scottish National league 3
West of Scotland 57 Orkney 16
Att:50
Admission £5 incl 24pp programme

I've brought up Andrew Gs write up as little has changed in the last couple of seasons, but this was an absolute delight on a crisp autumn day, such a shame that so few saw it.

The ground and club is completely unchanged but there is now a food wagon in the car park next to the pitch, which was ludicrously cheap and every type of Scottish transport cafe type fair was on offer. A tatty scone roll (potato cake in a buttered bap) was 1.00, bacon butty 1.80, add haggis to anything for a pound etc etc and the gravy was unanimously voted by the three of us the best we'd ever had at a rugby ground.

The game was closer than the score and try count would suggest (9 to 1) as the home side with speedier backs took their chances whilst Orkney spilled so much ball in try scoring positions you had to wonder if dark forces were at work. The only try they scored was from a 14 man maul which carried the ball almost 30 metres to the line. Their dozen or so travelling fans celebrated vociferously!

Afterwards we had a leisurely drive over to Ingliston to catch the tram for the Scotland v South Africa international. Not the right result for my Scotland supporting rugby daft daughter, but a great game played in an incredible atmosphere, with thousands of SA supporters all over the stadium. The pre match lights out build up was mightily impressive and SRU's family friendly ticket pricing policy pretty much guarantees a sell out at every game these days. Silver seats in the upper tier for the Fiji and SA games for the three of us came to exactly £100 for the two games. By modern day standards, exceptional value.

A very long day,having left Lancaster at 8am and getting home at 11pm but we'd do it again without a thought.

mxhornet
First Team Regular

Nov 21, 2018, 4:23 PM

Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #1682 of 1694 (6989 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Saturday 20th October

London 3 Eastern Counties
Wymondham v Holt Kick off 1400
Score 17-25 ht 5-22
Admission free
Attendance 400 approx. As again many in the clubhouse !
Programme None

Should anyone be interested the Eastern Counties website says a match between Norfolk and Suffolk will take place
here on Wednesday 21st November,

Now showing at Thetford according to Suffolk website.

Every other source including an article in today's EDP and Evening News. States Wymondham 7-45 start, so that's where I will be heading.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 800 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 21, 2018, 11:31 PM

Team(s): Workington Reds, St Ives Roosters RLFC

Post #1683 of 1694 (6910 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mxhornet] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wednesday 21st November 2018
Cambridge University 38 Steele Bodger Select 33
Admission £15
Programme £1

As always a busy weekday afternoon social occaision where a game of Rugby Union also takes place. I'm not sure about the attendance due to a lot of people not leaving the corporate hospitality marquees. Not much atmosphere for the Rugby but plenty for the renewing of aquaintances. So there may have been about 2,500 in the ground.

Not a bad game of rugger as both sides went on the attack. I'll be back next year.

mxhornet
First Team Regular

Nov 22, 2018, 7:17 AM

Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #1684 of 1694 (6896 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Workington FC] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Norfolk - 60 Suffolk - 19
EC Inter County Championship
Barnard Fields (pitch two)
Attendance - 250ish
No admission charged or programme issued

Game was played on pitch two rather than main pitch as that's where the floodlights are, I did over hear that planning permission wasn't allowed for main pitch lights, which seems odd given that two other pitches have lights. Though no programme was issued I did manage to obtain a team sheet.

The game itself was over as a contest very early on with Norfolk scoring three early tries and building up a 39-5 lead by half time and then after closer second half stretching it to 60-19.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 800 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

SKY BLUE TAT
Youth Team Regular

Nov 25, 2018, 9:49 PM

Team(s): coventry city ,leicester tigers, coventry bees, leicestershire ccc

Post #1685 of 1694 (6656 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mxhornet] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 24th November 2018
National 2 North.
Hinckley 49-5 Preston Grasshoppers
Admission including programme .£ 10

Its been 3 years since I last watched Hinckley and that was back in National 3 midland league.
Hinckley are having a decent season sitting in 4 th place while the visitors were down in 9 th. Hinckley had won all 6 home games this season while Preston had lost all of their away games .
Hinckley took the lead on 6 minutes through a Wilson penalty but Preston hit back and took the lead with a try from Trippier. Hinckley soon went back in front through another Wilson penalty. Preston had Adam Howard sent to the sin bin for a high tackle on 19 minutes. A minute later Hinckley made the advantage pay with their first of 3 first half tries. The other 2 coming on 30 and 40 minutes. The last try coming 2 minutes after James Gough saw yellow.
Half Time . Hinckley 25-5 Preston Grasshoppers.
Hinckley continued scoring tries. 4 more in the second half. On 43,49,55 and 75 minutes. Wilson converted 4 of the 7 tries to pick up 14 points in the match. In the end it was a comfortable win for Hinckley who moved up to 3 rd in league just 2 points off 2nd place.

AndrewG
First Team Star

Nov 26, 2018, 1:03 AM

Team(s):

Post #1686 of 1694 (6633 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SKY BLUE TAT] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 24th November 2018 (ko 1415)
at Far Moss Sports Ground, Alwoodley
RFU Northern Division Yorkshire One (Level Seven)
Moortown 20 Old Brodleians 10 (ht 5-10)
Admission - £5.00 inc 12 page programme
Attendance - 140 (estimate)

My first trip of the current rugby union season to Yorkshire, as with last week due to the difficulties caused by regular Saturday strike action on Northern Rail, the earlier winter kick offs now making it possible to get back to Manchester in time for onward connections before the early finish to services.

One of the most affluent suburbs of Leeds, Alwoodley is served by the 7A bus which travels at half hourly intervals from the city centre, and stops just a few minutes walk from the ground. The ground of Yorkshire Two side Leodiensians is very close by, and, indeed, as I waited for the return bus in the fading light, I could see the lights of their clubhouse through the trees. I didn’t realise in advance that Moortown’s ground stood side by side with the football pitch of Yorkshire Amateur League side Alwoodley FC, who were also at home today in front of perhaps 20 or 30 spectators.. The football pitch, railed on both sides, carries a different address because they use separate changing and social facilities at the local Community Centre to the north of their pitch, but essentially it is all part of the same sports ground.

All the rugby club facilities are located in a collection of single storey buildings along the southern edge of the main pitch. The clubhouse seemed to have several rooms, with just a large lounge in use for spectators pre match today and another room used for hospitality for visiting officials. Two hand pumps at the bar, with Theakston’s Bitter and an anonymous brew rebadged for the club as Town’s Tipple available. No idea even who brewed the later, but it was predictably inoffensive yet rather bland. A kitchen hatch is located in the clubhouse entrance hall, and hot food and drink were available throughout the afternoon.

The main pitch is railed with raised hard standing along the clubhouse side, and is equipped with training lights. Dug outs are in place on the opposite side of the pitch, but the rail on that side of the field is really the football pitch rail. Spectators on that side of the pitch stood on the touchline, but once the football (which had an earlier ko time) had finished, the referee, on exchange duty from the Liverpool Society, insisted on them moving behind the barrier. An electronic scoreboard in located on the outside of the clubhouse, and a second pitch stands behind that building, rather tucked out of sight, but it seemed to be fully floodlit. A couple of sides of the ground are attractively tree lined, and in very clement weather for the time of year it was a pleasant setting.

Moortown won Yorkshire Two a couple of years ago, and after a solid mid table finish at the higher level last season, they are challenging at the top end this time around. The hosts began the day in second place, with their Halifax based visitors, seasoned campaigners at this level, lying fourth. It was predictably tight in the first half, with the opening score not coming until 24 minutes in, and Brodleians snatching an interval lead from an interception and length of the field break from their full back. Second half, however, brought increasing dominance from an impressive home team, and they opened up the 20-10 lead just past the hour mark. With a late tackle seeing the visitors play out the closing minutes a man short, it was more a question of whether Moortown could secure a try scoring bonus point than Brods mount a comeback, but despite some sustained pressure the fourth try eluded the hosts.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 30, 2018, 11:48 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #1687 of 1694 (6134 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SKY BLUE TAT] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friday 30th November
Midland Premier (Level 5)
Broadstreet 25-10 Nuneaton (HT 20-10)
Attendance 250 est
Admission & Programme (8 glossy pages) £5

A multi vehicle accident on the A34 north of Newbury causing hour long delays scuppered my plan to check in at Binley Travelodge first and walk the mile to Ivor Preece Field instead having to go straight to the game and check in afterwards. Ground is railed off with hardstanding on both sides with a steep grass bank behind the end to the right of the clubhouse which has in impressive stand built on to it with 9 rows of seats, 3 rows each in the club colours of red, white and green elevated above the perspex dugouts but the view of the near touchline is still restricted from the green seats at the front. A gate between the dugouts spells out 'Broadstreet Old Boys RUFC' suggesting the club was formed by ex pupils of a local school. Can't find any suburb of Coventry called Broadstreet on a map but there is a road called Broad Street to the north of the city centre. There is a second floodlit pitch running parallel to the main one on the far side and a further pitch at a right angle beyond that.

On the pitch the hosts raced into a 15-0 lead in the first 25 minutes with a penalty and two tries, the second of which was the only one of the 6 scored in the game to yield a successful conversion. The visitors came back with two tries, the first impressively driving the hosts back in a scrum to touch down, the second a run to the line from halfway. The comeback was curtailed when the hosts ran in their 3rd try on the stroke of half time. Less action in the second half by comparison. The Nuns had a chance to get back within a score after being awarded a penalty fairly central but 40 metres from goal. The kick was missed and Broadstreet went down the other end to score their bonus point 4th try, hitting the bar with the conversion attempt.

(This post was edited by cherryhopper on Dec 1, 2018, 12:01 AM)

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Dec 1, 2018, 7:26 PM

Post #1688 of 1694 (5974 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 01/12/18 @ 13:00
Tribute Somerset 1 (Level 9)
Tor RFC 24 Stothert & Pitt RFC 15
Admission: free, no programme
Teams: not obtained
Refreshments: cheese ‘n onion and ham rolls from the bar £3, draft Diet Coke 75p.
Attendance: 71 (h/c)

A relatively easy drive under lowering skies down the A303 and up through Somerton and Street to Glastonbury, where the rugby ground is located just off the A39 bypass in Lowerside Lane. The Brian Harbinson Memorial Ground has a large car park and an impressive, almost futuristic square two-storey steel-clad clubhouse, with the changing rooms below and bar above. The latter is quite spacious, there’s two rooms, a single widescreen in the main bar which seemed to be showing a different game every time I looked in, and best of all, an extensive balcony overlooking the main pitch, my vantage point for the afternoon.

The pitch is railed on two sides with plenty of advertising hoardings and a manual scoreboard in one corner. I am not sure if there may have been a small stand or something in front of the clubhouse in the past because there is a steel step construction like you see with Atcost-style stands, but no cover over it, and there is also some evidence of old earthworks to the rear of it. The main pitch is floodlit, as is the extensive training area behind it, which is certainly big enough to accommodate a second pitch, but there’s no evidence of any goalposts.

The game pitted league leaders Tor against second place Stothert and Pitt, down from Corston, near Bath. As an aside, Corston is acknowledged as being the inspiration for the name of the county town of Causton in “Midsomer Murders” although filming of scenes for the latter usually takes place in Wallingford. For the first fifteen minutes, Tor attacked the visitors relentlessly, but a greasy ball on a muddy pitch inevitably got mishandled, allowing Stotherts to gleefully hack it and chase upfield, where Tor’s backfield players had to pull off some spectacular defensive interventions before returning to the attack. Added to this, there were a few minor instances of handbags but the referee was quick to stamp on this and eventually Tor got an easy penalty award and opened the scoring (14m). Stotherts equalised 5 minutes later when their no.3 set off in pursuit a long boot upfield into the far corner and was rewarded for perseverance when the ball held up just before going out of bounds and he was able to touch it down. A 20 yard penalty made it 3-8 but on the stroke of half-time, Tor managed a 2 yard plunge over and an impressive conversion from wide made it 10-8.

Stotherts had played a rather careful, almost languid brand of rugby, but started the second half in a much more determined fashion, Tor being fortunate to keep them out, but on 56m the visitors had a player sinbinned and on 60m Tor went further in front with a fine dummied try – only for Stotherts to quickly bring it back to 17-15. Tor managed a third try on 67m to give themselves a breathing space, and then denied Stotherts a losing bonus with some heroic defending on the line in the final few minutes.

Following this game, under the floodlights with a 15:00 kick-off, Tor 2nds took on Cheddar Valley 2nds in a Somerset 3 South (Level 11) league game. Cheddar turned up with only 12 players, loaned a back from the home side, should have conceded three tries in the first 10 minutes (Tor were suffering from “failure to pass even though there’s an overlap of 3 players outside you” syndrome), and managed to hold the home team to 19-0 at the interval. After the break it was a different story; Tor rattled in 4 long-range tries in quick succession, and the referee, having taken soundings from the captains, blew the final whistle on 62m with the score 59-0.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Dec 2, 2018, 8:54 AM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #1689 of 1694 (5854 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 1st December 2018
Guildford 35 Bedford Athletic 29 (HT 18-10)
London & South East Premier (level five, 2pm)
Free admission (a personal first at this level)
Programme £2 (32pp, glossy, match specific content included the front cover, with single page insert of notes from coach Dave Ward)
Attendance 115 (h/c)
Hot drinks and booze available from the clubhouse bar (didn’t sample)

First time in a decade of visiting the Farnham-based in-laws I’ve chosen rugby union over football. Wet weather and an uninspiring set of footy fixtures rather forced my hand, but I was rewarded with an entertaining sixth-versus-twelfth game featuring eight tries, shared equally. Not for the first time at rugby union, I saw the better team lose. Bedford, lighter and more mobile than Guildford, served up most of the running rugby. Very pleased the Ath crossed from the last play, in the sixth minute of stoppage time. The try, along with a touchline conversion, ensured the visitors scooped two bonus points, the least they deserved. Following Bedford’s promotion last season from Midlands One East, and subsequent placement in the L&SE division, this was a first meeting of the clubs.

Guildford’s Broadwater Sports Club ground is at Farncombe/Peasmarsh on the northeastern outskirts of Godalming. It is the former home of Guildford & Godalming RFC, who in 2003 merged (at senior level) with Old Guildfordians to become Guildford RFC. Adjacent to the A3100 - and Guildford crematorium - it is in a pleasant setting amid the Surrey Hills AONB. To the south, a wood-covered hill provides a pleasing backdrop. There are three pitches on the spacious, tree-fringed site. The first XV pitch, perpendicular to the other two, is dominated by a modern, two-storey clubhouse on its east touchline. Familiar arrangement: dressing rooms on the ground floor, bar on the first. There is a club shop and a hospitality room next to the bar. A pre-match meal attracted a high quotient of twats in striped blazers. The silly speeches I could cope with. When the gathering burst into song, I fled outside. Did so using sliding doors admitting to a covered balcony, offering a great view of the action. The pitch, a decent size and well grassed, but sloping down towards the A3100 and the site entrance, has permanent post-and-rope barriers. There is hardstanding, and additional cover, only on the clubhouse side. No lights hence the 2pm start. The two other pitches have training lights. Reasonable amount of parking, on aggregate, next to the clubhouse and along the south end.

Guildford made no effort to sell their programme. A small pile was left on the bar, with payment via an honesty box. Very few takers. At the end of the game, I noticed a box almost full of unwanted programmes in the hospitality room. Given there isn’t any charge for admission, it seems odd a club official, armed with programmes, isn’t tasked with touring the ground, persuading spectators to make some contribution. One contribution I could have done without was a woman with a cow bell. She rang the damn thing vigorously every time Guildford got into the opposition half. Thankfully, in the second period, which I watched pitchside after relocating from the balcony, this was an infrequent occurrence.

For sporting (and other) images, visit https://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/

Ground/venue totals: Football 900; Rugby Union 264; Rugby League 214; Cricket 125; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Dec 2, 2018, 9:11 AM)

AndrewG
First Team Star

Dec 3, 2018, 12:48 AM

Team(s):

Post #1690 of 1694 (5562 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 1st December 2018 (ko 1500)
at The Rock, Roehampton
RFU National League One (Level Three)
Rosslyn Park 10 Ampthill and District 6 (ht 10-0)
Admission - £15.00
Programme - 24 pages, £3.00
Attendance - 550 (official)

Compensation for Northern Rail’s shambolic performance earlier in the year meant I had a rail voucher which provided a virtually free trip to the capital, which I decided to use today to tick one of the older traditional grounds that I still needed. It is an area I had visited previously when I saw an AFA cup semi final at the Bank of England ground. I travelled out via Hammersmith, from where the 33 bus stops on the South Circular Road right outside the ground, but decided against returning that way with QPR being at home, and caught the train to Waterloo from Barnes station, a five minute stroll away.

Pedestrians can access the ground directly from Upper Richmond Road (ie the South Circular) via a gate that leads up a few steps to a pay hut, whilst drivers have to go round via Priory Lane. Programme was entirely game specific, but massively overpriced, whilst the official attendance, Rosslyn Park’s lowest of the season to date, seemed to me to be a reasonably accurate figure. There is just one pitch here, which has had an artificial surface for a few years now, with the clubs lower teams having use of pitches on the vast expanses of Richmond Park at the far end of Priory Lane.

Modern playing surface apart, the ground remains gloriously old fashioned, and is probably little changed from rugby union’s amateur days, when Rosslyn Park were one of England’s leading clubs. Clubhouse and changing rooms are in buildings that run the full width of the pitch behind the posts at the western end. There are two bars, one hosting a pre match lunch, but the other is a large room that had plenty of space for regular spectators, and is named after England international and British Lion Andy Ripley, who spent his entire club career here, with tributes paid to him today both on the club’s social media and via the public address on what, had he still been alive, would have been his 71st birthday. The bar had three hand pumps available - Fullers London Pride, Sambrooks Wandle and Robinsons Trooper - a coffee shop style stand is set up in one corner offering hot drinks and sandwiches, whilst an outdoor counter had hot food in the shape of burgers and chips.

A photo of the main stand here had popped up in a not obviously related google search I made a few weeks ago, and I hadn’t been able to identify where it was, so entering the ground today immediately solved that mystery. Relatively small, elevated above pitch level on the southern touchline, it has seven rows of wooden bench seats, though opaque side panels mean the higher seats on each side don’t give a view of the pitch corners, a bigger issue at a rugby ground than for football. There is also uncovered standing from an elevated viewpoint on this side, whilst it is flat and unfenced standing behind each end. The northern side has a gloriously ramshackle cover running its length, which nature is doing its best to reclaim in places, with three rows of bench seats beneath it. Looking out behind this stand from the main stand has a surprisingly tree lined backdrop provided by Barnes Common.

Four tall corner floodlights are switched on from the start, and an electronic scoreboard is located outside the clubhouse. This league, which provides just one promotion place and no play offs, has been something of a procession for the last couple of seasons, but not this year with just five points separating the top seven at the start of play, and the teams here divided by just one point in fifth and fourth respectively. From my first half vantage point, midway through the half a group, who looked like the proverbial rugby supporters who rarely leave the bar, arrived in earshot. They discussed where they thought Ampthill was, and decided it was somewhere near Reading (!), but one did make an intelligent point when he announced that he thought the intention was to do well in this league, but not actually win it. I suspect the majority at clubs at this level do not really want promotion to the Championship.

Today’s game always held the interest by nature of being a close contest, but scoring opportunities were too few and far between for it to be considered an outstanding game. An Ampthill error saw them concede a line out close to their own line that led to an early Rosslyn Park try, and with a penalty converted the hosts had scored all their points inside the first twenty minutes. There was a feeling that maybe Rosslyn Park should have made more of first half territorial control, especially when Ampthill pulled back three points soon after the interval, but the score remained that way until the closing stages. With around four minutes left Ampthill were awarded a penalty in front of the posts, but instead of going for a converted try that would have earned a draw, they surprised everyone, their own coaching staff included, by kicking the three points. It meant a try would win them the game, but although they got possession back from the restart, this was not an afternoon that had generated many scoring chances from a long way out, and Rosslyn Park saw the remaining time out relatively comfortably.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Dec 8, 2018, 5:45 PM

Post #1691 of 1694 (4138 views)
Shortcut

Saturday 8th December 2018
Aireborough 0 Wensleydale 40 (HT 0-28)
Yorkshire Three (level nine, 2.15pm kick-off)
Free admission, no programmes
Attendance 38 (h/c)
Refreshments available from the distant clubhouse (didn't sample)

Couldn't be bothered driving far on a wet, windy, gloomy day. Opted to tick another of my relatively local rugby union non-issuers. Hardly worth the effort because this was a desperately poor game in horrible conditions at a rubbish ground. Aireborough, in many respects lucky to get nil, slipped to the bottom of the table after a comprehensive defeat. Wensleydale climbed a place to second, two points behind Harrogate Pythons. I really should have gone to Pythons' top-of-the-table encounter with Leeds Corinthians (a 29-20 home win), but I've been to Station View, Starbeck, several times (for football) and really struggle to warm to the set-up there.

The outcome of my chosen match was decided as early as the 11th minute. The Leyburn-based visitors capitalised on lamentable Aireborough tackling to cross three times, in the seventh, ninth and 11th minutes. All three tries were converted for a 21-0 lead. As the rain, hitherto drizzle, began to fall in earnest, Aire finally woke up and had plenty of good field position in the period to half-time. They never looked like scoring, though, and conceded a fourth try in the 38th minute. My 79-year-old mum would have put up stiffer resistance to the Dale player who, from 20 yards, jinked round several feeble challenges in registering the bonus point touchdown. The conversion gave the visitors a 28-0 interval lead. The rain became torrential at the start of the second half, reducing the 'action' on an already sticky pitch to little more than thud and blunder. Despite having a player sin-binned, in the 46th minute, Dale kept their line intact. Aire, increasingly frantic in defence, picked up yellow cards in the 66th and 73rd minutes. Dale added a converted try in the 52nd minute and went over again, too wide for the extras to be added, with four minutes of normal time remaining.

Aireborough RUFC, who in 2020 celebrate their 50th anniversary, are one of three sports clubs playing under the Aireborough Nunroyd Sporting Association banner. The others are Green Lane Cricket Club, of the Airedale & Wharfedale League, and Skyrac Athletics Club. All the facilities are in Nunroyd Park, a scruffy public space. The park has a Yeadon address, but is at the Leeds end of Guiseley's miserable high street. The pavilion, an L-shaped building containing changing rooms and a spacious (if empty and soulless) bar, is adjacent to the cricket square. I learned the cricket ground is to be fenced because vandals in 4x4s (what else?) keep entering the park to use the field as a skid pan. The rugby union pitch is 200 yards from the pavilion and at a higher level. In accessing it, one passes a Victorian Gothic pile (now a pre-school nursery) and an ornamental lake. The pitch, which has a side-to-side slope, is terrible: it is heavy, patchily grassed and, by the looks of it, marked out once a season. The sole concession to spectators is a temporary tape along its near side. There is neither hardstanding nor cover. Not even a scoreboard! Lack of floodlights was particularly noticeable on an afternoon so murky it was getting dark by the time the game kicked off. Mature trees fringe the pitch on three sides. There is spare turf then houses at the end nearest the A65. Planes can be heard (though not seen amid today's low cloud) taking off from nearby Leeds Bradford Airport.

Not an outing to linger in the memory...

Ground/venue totals: Football 900; Rugby Union 264; Rugby League 214; Cricket 125; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Dec 8, 2018, 6:06 PM)

Mike S
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 8, 2018, 7:57 PM

Post #1692 of 1694 (4084 views)
Shortcut

Market Bosworth 29 Long Buckby 7
Midlands 2 West South
No admission charge or prog

Was heading to London by train but no cheap tickets available. This saved a bit of a disaster with stomach problems this morning meant I could not have travelled

This ground is only 14 miles from home but requires three buses and timings would mean a 3pm would not work so a good one to get out the way, on a day where driving was a challenge

Five pitches at the venue, the main next one to the clubhouse railed but no cover. Clubhouse too packed to enter due to Pre match meal but many never made pitchside and those that did had minimal interest. Definitely a social event with rugby as an extra

Rain held off but wind did not help and scrappy one sided game

The Moose
First Team Star

Dec 9, 2018, 9:07 PM

Team(s):

Post #1693 of 1694 (3809 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mike S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sat 8th - EURO CHAMPIONS CUP: BATH 10 LEINSTER 17

TKT: £36.50. PROG: £3.50. ATT: 14,425

Another trip to the Rec for the second home European game attended this season. Unlike the last time, where Mr. Burns committed the faux pas of the century leading to defeat, this time they deserved to lose. For half an hour we dared to dream, before normal service was resumed. Leinster are an effective machine that know how to win this competition & then some!

The Rec on a cold & wet day (which it was), isn’t a great place to be. As there’s limited cover, there’s no protection from the elements if you choose one of cheaper areas. In saying that, tiz still expensive really & not particularly great VFM. I only go these days if the opposition are a team I’ve not seen play there before. TBH, I also don’t really enjoy being surrounded by those who prefer to drink all afternoon, rather than watch the match. Each & every to their own, but watching at a lower level of eggchasing is my preferred option.

At least moves are afoot for the ‘Stadium for Bath’ to hopefully go ahead. The city’s forefathers have intervened previously however, so I will believe it when it’s happened. The plans on the website show the intention to finally provide more cover as standard. About time too really as for what you have to pay to get in, a roof is the minimum you should expect in this day & age. Crimble markets were in full swing, so movement around the city beforehand was at a snails pace. Hey ho, hope to be back at footy next weekend.

KRTM :-)

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Dec 15, 2018, 4:27 PM

Post #1694 of 1694 (2236 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 15th December 2018
York Railway Institute 41 Nestle Rowntree 7 (HT 24-7)
Yorkshire Four, South East (level 10, kick-off 2.15pm)
Free admission, no programmes
Attendance 76 (h/c)
No refreshments available

With Storm Deirdre heading east, putting shrill weather forecaster Helen Willetts in panic mode, this was another Saturday on which a drive of any length lacked appeal. I opted, once again, to tick another of my local rugby union non-issuers. A fairly joyless outing, I have to say. This York derby, third versus second-bottom in an eight-club league, proved predictably tame. Thankfully, the elderly referee played 35-minute halves thereby sparing everybody the worst of the rain, which began falling heavily moments after the final whistle. No escape from the wind and cold, however, with the chill eventually penetrating my multi-layered defences, gloves and (something I hardly ever wear) fleece hat.

RI, who kicked a fourth-minute penalty, took a firm grip with tries, all converted, in the 19th, 21st and 28th minutes. Some of the Nestle Rowntree 'tackling' brought to mind the old joke about soft centres. A penalty try, in the 33rd minute, got the visitors on the scoreboard. RI encountered rather stiffer resistance in the second half, the last 10 minutes of which the injury-hit visitors completed with 14 on the field. The hosts added three more tries, only the first converted, in the 45th, 59th and 72nd minutes. As at Aireborough last Saturday, it was almost dark at kick-off. I don't know why rugby union clubs without floodlights persist in starting at 2.15pm during November and December. Most of English rugby union now takes a three-week break.

The York RI Sports Club, off New Lane, in the drab Holgate district of the city, is home to numerous sports. Appropriately, the East Coast Main Line, 200 yards away, is both seen and heard. The sports club claims to be York's "leading city-based sports centre". In addition to rugby union, it caters for badminton, football, judo, squash, table tennis and weightlifting. York Lokomotive Amateur Rugby League Club, which folded last summer, also played out of York RI. It is an exposed, treeless, multi-pitch set-up, surrounded by red-brick semis and dominated by a supremely ugly central clubhouse. The rugby union club have played at a higher level in years past. There are interesting black and white photographs, celebrating historical achievements, on the walls of the bar and corridors. Lovely display, in a glass case, of royal blue, silver tassled LNER RUFC caps from the Thirties. When the railway was a major employer in York, I guess workers had docked from their wages a subscription to the Railway Institute. The main rugby pitch, next to the clubhouse and adjacent car park, is fully railed but doesn't have cover, hardstanding or floodlights.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Dec 15, 2018, 8:47 PM)

First page Previous page 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3