Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 47 Next page Last page  View All

Jamesie
Deleted

Jan 28, 2011, 4:07 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 1165 (107123 views)
Shortcut
Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! Can't Post or

Post here for all things Cricket...

Just a note to anyone who is wondering, I am no longer a moderator of this forum due to current personal circumstances and work commitments. If you need help, contact leohoenig or Steve walker. Thank You.

GrundyHiller
First Team Sub

Apr 11, 2011, 1:18 PM

Team(s): Horwich RMI, Bolton Wanderers

Post #2 of 1165 (105941 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jamesie] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friendly: Warton v Carnforth at Warton CC, Sunday 10 April 2011

Warton CC are defending Westmorland League champions and their village ground with a superb old-style wooden pavilion looked a picture on a glorious day. The ground is just off the A6 north of Carnforth next to the main West Coast railway line.

Northern League Carnforth made 209 including an explosive 51 from pro Gareth Pedder. A superb 120 from Phil Bovis saw Warton home by four wickets with three balls to spare. A great way to start the season.

Billybadknees
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 11, 2011, 4:26 PM

Team(s): Sheffield FC, Sheffield Wednesday, Staveley MWFC

Post #3 of 1165 (105910 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GrundyHiller] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

We held our Natwest Cricketforce Day on Saturday (nationally promoted day for clubs to renovate their facilities) and couldn't believe the weather or how hard our pitch was. We've got a pre-season friendly on Easter Sunday with league action beginning Sat 30th. Could've had more looking at it!

Sig-lite!

Steve (MUFC)
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 14, 2011, 9:40 PM

Team(s): Maidenhead United, Arsenal, Partick Thistle, Polonia Warsaw

Post #4 of 1165 (105784 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Billybadknees] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

14/4 Middlesex v Essex. Will probably pop in on two or three days.
http://educatedleftfoot.blogspot.com/...ood-immigration.html

Read my football blog: http://educatedleftfoot.blogspot.com/

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

Apr 17, 2011, 10:18 AM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #5 of 1165 (105662 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steve (MUFC)] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Monday - Fenners (44) Cambridge Uni 276ao V Middx
Note GBG pub in Mawson St near the ground did not appear to be open as advertisedFrown

Friday - Taunton - Warwicks 642ao V Middx

Ironically high score given end result!

The Plough between the ground and station was visited as booked for Real CiderPirate

I have detailed cricket updates on a Blog I have just started but I cant link it here as work wont let me!

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

GrundyHiller
First Team Sub

Apr 21, 2011, 11:19 PM

Post #6 of 1165 (105462 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sat 16 Apr: Northern League Division One: Preston v Carnforth

West Cliff staged Lancashire CCC matches in the past, the last in 1952 and though part of the ground has now been taken over by a 3G hockey pitch it is still a huge playing area. Preston CC is one of the oldest cricket clubs in the world, formed in 1821.

Preston were bowled out for just 94 with Carnforth pro Gareth Pedder taking 7 for 32. Carnforth looked to be cruising as they reached 48 for 1, but pro Saeed Bariwala took five wickets on debut to bowl out the visitors for 78.

Sun 17 Apr: Central Lancashire League: Crompton v Heywood

A glorious day at a lovely ground in Shaw near Oldham with sweeping views across the Pennines. Crompton have a rich and illustrious history and their pavilion is full of superb photos and displays.

Heywood are well supported and a good-sized crowd saw the visitors reach 220 for 4 in their 50 overs, skipper Bobby Cross making an accomplished 100. Crompton lost wickets regularly and were bowled out for 135 in reply. A good tea bar was in operation and this completed a fine first weekend of competitive action.

GrundyHiller
First Team Sub

Apr 25, 2011, 10:49 PM

Post #7 of 1165 (105338 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GrundyHiller] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 23 April: Northern League, Darwen v Fleetwood

Darwen CC are celebrating the Club’s Centenary year and have a well balanced side that has a good chance of winning the title in this most competitive of leagues. Their Birch Hall ground looked a picture but the setting seemed strange as the iconic rocket that is Darwen Tower in the distance lost its nose piece in winter storms and has not been repaired as yet. Fleetwood were destroyed by seamer Chris Wade who took five wickets to hasten their demise for 93. Darwen pro Zimmy Khan hit an unbeaten 54 to steer his side to victory by seven wickets before the reading of the football results.

Sunday 24 April: Saddleworth League, Friarmere v Bamford Fieldhouse

Frairmere CC is in a remote and beautiful location between Denshaw and Delph; funded by a wealthy mill owner in 1880, JL Byrom who built the pavilion and 12 cottages for his team and groundsman. Today they were up against the league champions and team of all the talents, Bamford whose latest recruit is South African born batsman Grant Hodnett. Hodnett struck a mighty 200 out of Bamford’s 320 for 7, with some incredible hits. He damaged three car windscreens and the final overs, when he ran amok, saw the Bamford players in the car park, guarding their cars against damage. Friarmere managed 138 in reply. The tea was first-class, the people friendly and this was a wonderful afternoon, the first double hundred I’ve ever seen in league cricket and apparently the first Hodnett has ever made.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 25, 2011, 11:34 PM

Post #8 of 1165 (105329 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Sunday 24 April: Saddleworth League, Friarmere v Bamford Fieldhouse

Frairmere CC is in a remote and beautiful location between Denshaw and Delph...

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 26, 2011, 6:13 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #9 of 1165 (105269 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday 24th April, 40 over league - group stage, 1.45pm

at New Road, Worcester; Middlesex beat Worcs by 24 runs

Entry - £17 for adults (no discounts for OAP's/disabled - meanies!)

Programme - A4 scorecard (see below) for £1.00

I don't normally post on my cricket matches as I don't attend that many, normally only on Sundays if weather is good and there is no football. This was however my third visit to Worcester for cricket and by a curious coincidence the previous visits were at 10 year intervals, in 1991 and 2001. On both occasions Middlesex had been thrashed so it was good to see them win there, even if they were wearing pink shirts this time.

Just to show how much train services have improved in recent years, in 1991 the first train from London was a decrepit old rolling stock and did not arrive until around 1.30pm (good job it was a 2pm start for all 40 over games then) and I had to rush to get to the ground. In my hurry I climbed over a gate near Shrub Hill station and got some sort of industrial grease on my jeans. In 2001 and 2011 I arrived a lot earlier and in fact yesterday I had time to go and look at Worcester City's ground which has hardly changed since my 'tick' of it in 1986.

The cricket ground has improved a lot since 2001, with a large uncovered (permanent) stand behind the bowler's arm at the south end, called the Basil d'Oliveria Stand. There is also a new pavilion, named after Graeme Hick, who I had seen in the 1991 match. I am not in favour of any buildings,etc being named after living persons, but these new stands are very good, with steep seating rakes.

One disappointment was that Worcs no longer issue the very good B5 programme that they did for the 2001 game (and for all subsequent years up to and including 2009, judging by the back issues that are for sale at 50p. each in the club shop) with only an A4 scorecard being issued, and not cheap either at £1. There is however, an A4 4-page membership brochure available in the club shop, and this can be used as a wraparound for the scorecard if you desire. It is also annoying that while they charge only £5 for kids, pensioners have to pay the full price of £17.
But these criticisms apart, it was a good day out and I hope the ground will have improved further still by my next visit (in 2021?)

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Apr 26, 2011, 6:14 PM)

GrundyHiller
First Team Sub

May 2, 2011, 12:13 AM

Post #10 of 1165 (105081 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sat 30 April: Northern Cricket League: Chorley v Blackpool

Alex Smith hit a fluent 54 in Blackpool’s 183/6, Chorley’s leg-spinning pro Gaurav Dhar taking 4/75. Chorley looked well set for victory when wicketkeeping captain and opener Andy Holdsworth made 54. But when he was out the game changed and fast bowler Richard Gleeson took five wickets in a superb spell to bowl out the home side for 150. A programme was produced and the teas were excellent.

Sun 1 May: MCCA Trophy: Cheshire v Cumberland

A beautiful setting at Neston CC on the Wirral, and though Cumberland made 282/9, opener James Lowe hitting a superb 128, the feeling was they were 40 runs short. So it proved as Cheshire got home after losing four wickets with five balls to spare, skipper Andrew Hall 57ono, Lee Dixon77no, Warren Goodwin 59.

StephenHarris
First Team Sub

May 3, 2011, 11:03 AM

Team(s): Leyton Orient, Hastings United, CA Huracan

Post #11 of 1165 (105025 views)
Shortcut

Sunday 1 May 2011, 13:45am; Middlesex beat Holland by 1 run; 40-over League, Group A; att: 2,000 h/c ; Entry £17; programme issued.

With Leyton Orient’s season effectively over by Saturday evening, and the weather glorious, it felt like time to open my cricket season. And where better to begin than at the top and a visit to Lord’s. I’ve had my irritations with Lord’s in the past, but I do still believe that it is the finest cricket ground of those I’ve visited.

To my mind the 40 over or 50 over game is the best option for spectators. I can’t work up any enthusiasm for the 20:20 game and few of us have the time to follow a full championship or test match. But the 40 over game seems to be slipping down the priorities. Only the Grandstand and the Compton Stand were available to non-members for this game and I noticed that whilst there was much publicity outside the ground for forthcoming 20:20, Championship and International matches, the existence of this fixture was not mentioned at all. A hangover of the old pomposity surrounding Lord’s matches came in the announcements that not only was a scorecard available (for 60p), but an “illustrated programme” was also on sale, as if this was somehow rather distasteful. But the programme (£2) was a poor effort and not up to the standards of recent years. And of course the crowd was rather small. Middlesex have never attracted much of a following, but I’ve always found it hard to understand why so few neutrals are drawn to County matches at Lord’s. Amongst the scattered crowd I did spot bcleary1 of this message board, who I can now ‘out’ as a suit-wearing pavilion-dweller. And was that a copy of the Telegraph we spotted him reading, over in the posh seats?

In sunny but blustery conditions it was a day for the batsmen. Scott Newman slogged 73 for Middlesex early on, and we admired the rather more subtle batting of Paul Stirling. But it was the Dutch batting that really impressed. Tom Cooper hit a personal best one-day total of 126. He is more Australian than Dutch I believe, but his Dutch fans were optimistically calling him Tommy Kuipers. And Mudassar Bukhari hit a rapid 36 to bring the outcome down to the last ball where Netherlands needed three but could only manage a single. The crowd chant for Bukhari goes:
Bukhari, Oh Oh Oh,
He comes from Calcutta,
He loves Lurpak Butter”.
I need help understanding that one please. I thought he was Pakistani? And Lurpak’s a Danish brand isn’t it, not a Dutch brand.
Overall this was good entertainment, if a little chilly by the end.

SKY BLUE TAT
Youth Team Sub

May 3, 2011, 6:20 PM

Team(s): coventry city ,leicester tigers, coventry bees, leicestershire ccc

Post #12 of 1165 (104995 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StephenHarris] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Monday 2nd May.
CB40.GROUP.B.
LEICESTERSHIRE FOXES v DURHAM DYNAMOS.
ADMISSION. FREE - LIFE MEMBER.
SCORECARD- 50p.

Leicestershire won toss and put Durham in to bat. Leicester got there first wicket at 17 -1. England u 19 allrounder Ben Stokes came in and tried to hit every ball for 6 but after almost getting caught he calmed down . He went on to score 50 . Durham then started to crumble and found them self 127 for 5. Gareth Breese joined Ian Blackwell and they shared a partnership of 144. Blackwell hit 5 sixes and 7 fours on his way to 98 before being caught and bowled by Wyatt. Breese made 44. Durham then lost 4 wickets for 14 runs , 6 of them were given as a penalty for slow over rate. Durham finished on 285 - 9. Wyatt , Hoggard ,Malik and Henderson all took 2 wickets. Leicestershire got off to a bad start losing Du Toit for 4 with the score on 7. England lions batsman Taylor joined Josh Cobb and the pair put on 97 for the 2nd wicket . Cobb made 87 before being bowled and leicester then started losing wickets regualy and were finally out for 216. Stokes and Blackwell took 3 wickets each.

Billybadknees
Reserve Team Sub

May 4, 2011, 1:57 PM

Team(s): Sheffield FC, Sheffield Wednesday, Staveley MWFC

Post #13 of 1165 (104941 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SKY BLUE TAT] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 30th April
Sheaf Sports Yorkshire & Derbyshire League Division 3
Adm Free Match Fee £7
Millhouses Works 133-7 Whittington Wanderers 130ao

First game of the league season. Millhouses struggled on a pitch offering variable bounce and we were fairly pleased to keep them down to 133. Dave Whiteley being the pick of our attack with 3-37 off 11 tidy overs. At 100-3 we were cruising it. Opener Paul Fletcher grafted for 39, I pulled a huge six, dispatched another first bounce into the hedge for four and then tossed my wicket away for 15. A collapse of 8-30 ensued and we were all out four short of victory with four balls remaining. Gutted! Next up is a visit to Bracken Moor, Stocksbridge, 2pm start on Sunday 8th May.

Sig-lite!

Chris1963

May 9, 2011, 5:39 PM

Post #14 of 1165 (104688 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StephenHarris] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Sunday 1 May 2011, 13:45am; Middlesex beat Holland by 1 run; 40-over League, Group A; att: 2,000 h/c ; Entry £17; programme issued.

To my mind the 40 over or 50 over game is the best option for spectators. I can’t work up any enthusiasm for the 20:20 game and few of us have the time to follow a full championship or test match. But the 40 over game seems to be slipping down the priorities. Only the Grandstand and the Compton Stand were available to non-members for this game and I noticed that whilst there was much publicity outside the ground for forthcoming 20:20, Championship and International matches, the existence of this fixture was not mentioned at all. A hangover of the old pomposity surrounding Lord’s matches came in the announcements that not only was a scorecard available (for 60p), but an “illustrated programme” was also on sale, as if this was somehow rather distasteful. But the programme (£2) was a poor effort and not up to the standards of recent years. And of course the crowd was rather small.

Also at this game - I always try to see 'new' sides play Middlesex at Lord's (last one was Herefordshre in the Nat-West Trophy about 12 years ago)

I agree with you about 20-20, will be boycotting it in future as I cannot stand the type of spectators who come along to watch it at Lords.

I was very interested to read about the tannoy man telling spectators that Middlesex programmes were on sale. An important point to make here for anyone who hasn't done Lords yet - Middlesex programmes are only sold from the club office /club shop in a bungalow behind the pavilion. This is a long running story. The Marylebone CC scorecard that is sold for all games (whether MCC, England or Middlesex games) at Lords is undoubtedly the world's longest running match programme/scorecard, as I believe it has been issued since at least 1848 (but please feel free to correct me if necessary) and the size /design has changed very little over the years. It is printed on the premises, yet they somehow get at least one non-playing team member on it most matches!
It is a jealously guarded tradition, to the extent that the MCC (as opposed to MCCC) are very reluctant to allow any other type of programme/scorecard to be sold at the ground. In fact there was no other programme or brochure on sale during the 1981 Test v. Australia (the only Test match I've ever attended) and this ban applied to Middlesex matches up until around 1993, when a compromise was reached. It was decided that programmes could be sold for Middlesex games in the Sunday League, as long as the teams were omitted. This ensured that spectators would still need to buy the MCC scorecard if they wanted to know who was playing. This compromise still stands today.

StephenHarris
First Team Sub

May 10, 2011, 9:19 AM

Post #15 of 1165 (104615 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Chris - I too attended one day of that Test vs Australia in 1981. At the time it was possible to queue up on the day and buy a ticket which allowed you to sit on the grass behind the boundary rope, something I did for several Tests in that era. I have a dodgy pirate programme for the game, purchased outside, which really only has a few player photos. And I have two MCC scorecards from the day, one a tea interval update. I don't think the printing office produces these updated cards throughout the day now like they used to, but I might be wrong.

At the recent Holland game, and also at a Sunday League game I attended at Lord's last summer, I found that the Middlesex programme can now also be purchased from a little kiosk just inside the Grace Gate (and possibly the other gates too) and no longer has to be sought out in the shop.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 10, 2011, 2:18 PM

Post #16 of 1165 (104588 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Chris - I too attended one day of that Test vs Australia in 1981. At the time it was possible to queue up on the day and buy a ticket which allowed you to sit on the grass behind the boundary rope, something I did for several Tests in that era.

Discussed with a warm, fuzzy, nostalgic glow in this thread:
http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/...?post=311276;#311276

Chris1963

May 11, 2011, 7:15 PM

Post #17 of 1165 (104507 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Chris - I too attended one day of that Test vs Australia in 1981. At the time it was possible to queue up on the day and buy a ticket which allowed you to sit on the grass behind the boundary rope, something I did for several Tests in that era. I have a dodgy pirate programme for the game, purchased outside, which really only has a few player photos.

Like yourself, I sat on the grass at that Test (the first day to be precise) although I did move into a proper seat near the end of the day's play. As for the pirate programme, I also have one from the 1981 series, although I purchased it from a programme dealer many years later. However, it has a photo of Mike Brearley rather than Ian Botham (who he replaced as captain halfway through the series) on the cover, so it may have been on sale at the Oval rather than at Lords. Does yours have Ian Botham on the cover?
Also, my copy has 'J & D Enterprises, Clapham' on the back cover in very small print, is yours the same?

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 11, 2011, 9:08 PM

Post #18 of 1165 (104494 views)
Shortcut

Botham resigned as captain after the Lord's Test.

StephenHarris
First Team Sub

May 12, 2011, 8:52 AM

Post #19 of 1165 (104453 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Does yours have Ian Botham on the cover?
Also, my copy has 'J & D Enterprises, Clapham' on the back cover in very small print, is yours the same?

Oh dear - that one is very deep in the archives. I will dig it out and reply one day, but it won't be any time soon. I do remember that it has a predominantly green cover and is roughly A4 size.

GrundyHiller
First Team Sub

May 12, 2011, 10:37 PM

Post #20 of 1165 (104399 views)
Shortcut

Thursday 12 May 2011: Liverpool Echo Knockout Trophy First Round, Burscough v Alder

The Liverpool Echo competition gives cricket groundhoppers a great opportunity to visit new grounds in midweek they otherwise wouldn’t get a chance of seeing due to other commitments. Fixtures and results are updated regularly on the excellent website here: http://www.ldcc.org.uk/
Burscough play at a new ground on School Lane with a great wicket and huge playing area and a lovely new pavilion. The game was played very seriously and to a good standard. Alder posted 173/6 and Burscough made 144 in reply, being dismissed in the last over at 8.46pm with the light still good. Great evening’s entertainment enjoyed by around 50 spectators.

AndyE
First Team Star

May 15, 2011, 11:17 PM

Team(s): Chatham Town

Post #21 of 1165 (104282 views)
Shortcut

GrundyHiller, you're clearly a man who knows about league cricket in Lancashire. The people I talk to reckon that the Liverpool & District is now by some distance the strongest league in Lancashire, and that the Northern Premier in particular is going backwards.

Are they about right?

StephenHarris
First Team Sub

May 16, 2011, 10:59 AM

Post #22 of 1165 (104253 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday 15 May 2011, 1:45pm; Sussex beat Derbyshire by 8 wickets; 40 over league; att: c.2,000 ; Entry £15; programme issued.

This was quite a good afternoon’s cricket on a chilly day at the seaside. Arriving with time in hand at Brighton station I decided not to take the bus over to Hove but to walk, stopping for refreshment at the Neptune Inn by the seafront. I was slightly irritated then to find on arrival that spectators who could show they had come by bus got £5 off the admission price, as an initiative to keep people out of their cars. It’s a while since I have taken in a game at the County Ground and was interested to see the new ground developments, some of which are still a bit ‘work-in-progress’. A substantial new stand has gone up in the south-west corner. 19 rows of uncovered white seats with ‘SHARKS’ picked out in dark blue. And next to it is a new South Stand, which is really a media centre and TV studio with a small number of seats perched on the top. The rest of the ground is traditional. A small two-tier stand next to the pavilion plus areas of grass banking with a mix of benches, individual seats or deckchairs to chose from. My ground photo is here:
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/52758586

Derbyshire arrived as table-toppers and with a home victory over Sussex already under their belts. But they looked a bit shaky with the bat and suffered a late collapse to finish on 196 for 8. Sussex immediately looked more proficient and Chris Nash (78) and Ed Joyce (90) chalked up an opening partnership of 161, leaving little time for debutant Lou Vincent or anyone else to impress before it was all over with 10 overs and 8 wickets to spare. A very comfortable win for Sussex which moves them to the top of the table.

The County Ground has a wide variety of refreshment opportunities (albeit all rather pricey) and there is Greene King IPA direct from the cask at the two public bars. Free samples of beef and mushroom pie were well appreciated. A combined match programme and scorecard sold for £1 and is a reasonable issue for the price.

totallyuntamed
First Team Regular

May 16, 2011, 12:27 PM

Team(s): Coventry City

Post #23 of 1165 (104236 views)
Shortcut

Saturday May 7th Birmingham and District Premier League Division One (second tier) Coventry and North Warwickshire 156-8 Old Hill 162-3.

Football referee assessing duties in the afternoon and rain earlier in the day meant that I only got to Binley Road (on the east of the city) in time for Old Hill's reply in a game reduced from the regulation 55 overs by the heavy morning rain. They were never troubled, despite the presence of Stefan Piolet of Warwickshire in the home team. Cov and NW always struggle at the start of the season and then do just enough to avoid relegation at the end, indeed last season they staged a Lazarus - like recovery in their last 3 games, winning them all. However, on the evidence of what I saw here they are surely destined for a season of struggle, an opinion confirmed by Saturday's results when both they and Old Hill were trounced by their respective opponents.
The ground, which has staged Warwickshire games in the past, is an unexceptional one although they do serve a decent pint of Bombadier in the swish clubhouse.

"There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Milletts".

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

May 17, 2011, 10:21 PM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #24 of 1165 (104154 views)
Shortcut

middlesex publish a programme for most matches and certainly for festivals, they often sell out as in the game i went to at uxbridge on monday v sri Lanka.
I am doing a cricket blog which can be found at wishmaster3211.blogspot.com

It never ceases to amaze me that clubs dont produce progs as its just turning money away, although to a memorabilia collector it is the scorecard that is all important!

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

GrundyHiller
First Team Sub

May 18, 2011, 10:39 PM

Post #25 of 1165 (104087 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Some of the people involved in the Liverpool & District Competition seem to be able to spread the word that it is perceived knowledge they have the best league in the universe. They undoubtedly have some good grounds and teams but on the evidence of games I've watched in that league they have very few supporters apart from clubs like Bootle and have problems like any other leagues. Teams like Ormskirk, Bootle, Northern etc have excellent facilities and very good players but others are less impressive.

The general theory is that league cricket is of a lesser standard than say 30 years ago. This was backed up on Sat when I saw 64yo Mel Whittle, a league legend, take 5/66 off 24 overs as sub pro for Carnforth against Chorley, he was magnificent. I think it's unfair to pinpoint the Northern League as being particularly in decline as clubs in that league have excellent grounds and pros and some good players, players like Andrew Flintoff, Steven Croft, Tom Smith and James Anyon graduated out of the lge into county cricket. And Lancashire Colts elected to apply to field a team in the Northern League in preference to others.

Last year's Fleetwood pro Matt Frith who played in Sydney grade cricket said the Northern Lge was as good as Sydney grade cricket, a view backed up by Callum Ferguson in 2008 when he pro'd for Netherfield.

From what I've seen over the past few years I'd say the intensity and skills of the top Central Lancashire League sides make that the strongest league locally and that the Bolton League remains very strong and competitive. But the Northern League is still a strong league with some great clubs and has good support. The Lancashire League has great traditions and some wonderful grounds and is also well supported. We're just lucky to have so many great cricketing leagues within a small radius.

Players may be less committed overall than 30 years ago but there is still such a great cricketing tradition in this part of the world and I much prefer watching league cricket to county cricket for many reasons.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 47 Next page Last page  View All

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3