Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!!

First page Previous page 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 Next page Last page  View All

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Aug 21, 2018, 3:56 PM

Team(s): Birmingham City, Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #1301 of 1321 (8075 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Mon 20 Aug

First return to Edgbaston for decades to see

Day 2 of 4 (but final day as it turned out) of

Warwicks 277 ao (Rhodes 137) beat Gloucs (127 and 103 ao ) by an innings and 47

First time this century to visit a ground where I watched Amiss and Abberley, MJK and AC Smith, Kanhai and Gibbs, Jameson and Ibadulla - and many more in those now golden-tinged years of memory from the 1970s .

Things have changed a lot since then : ground entirely rebuilt, floodlights and all the rest ! And bars ! You couldn't go 20 yards without seeing another outlet ready for tests/T20s where you were invited to swill cider at a smidgen shy of £5/pint !

But an odd day in that conditions were clearly ideal for swing and seam bowling - 18 wickets fell for 210 runs in the day.

Batsmen had a choice : stick around and graft for runs, but eventually be done by the inevitable unplayable jaffa or swing the long handle and hope to get a few before the inevitable. Did make for some embarrassing dismissals

Neither tactic brought much success - the best individual score all day being the 36 that Rhodes added to his overnight 101.

Probably the last time I'll see either Bell or Trott bat live.

Difficult to judge either team's potential on such a seam-friendly day.

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 23, 2018, 8:36 AM

Team(s):

Post #1302 of 1321 (7968 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've had a few digs at the red ball game on here this season, but thankfully all is not bad with that form of Cricket. As well as some excellent action in the test series, I eventually had a cracking few hours at Ipswich School Tuesday.
Turned up expecting to watch the dying embers of the game as Suffolk were 3 down and Lincs were heading for the eastern Division title. This soon became 6 down at around 15-15, I was planning my journey to some Football in Cambs in the evening, but then Coomber and Rash dug in for Suffolk's 8th wicket and took the game through to tea.
This left Suffolk needed to hold out for a minimum of 11 overs plus 17 in the final hour. Thankfully Suffolk don't play the game like Staffs and Northumberland and didn't cheat and drag the game out and Lincs were able to bowl a couple of extra overs. But Suffolk held firm until 5 overs from the end, a few more scary moments and then they lost their 9th wicket with 10 balls left. A good leave, duck under the bouncer, dig out the Yorker and a superb forward defensive saw the next 4 balls go, and then Coomber comfortably held on for the final 6 balls. Great stuff, very tense, but played in an excellent spirit and certainly put my faith back in this form of the game. I hadn't seen a backs to the wall resistance like that for years, and now Suffolk deservedly keep their title hopes alive, as it all goes down to the final round of games in a fortnight.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Aug 25, 2018, 9:33 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #1303 of 1321 (7804 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 25th August 2018
Driffield Town versus Harrogate (noon)
Yorkshire Premier League North
Driffield Town won the toss and elected to bat
Driffield Town (8pts) 212-9 off 50 overs drew with Harrogate (4pts) 210-7 off 50 overs
Free admission, no programmes (Driffield Town issued four-pagers up to this season)
Attendance 50 (h/c)
Mug of tea 70p, scone with jam and fresh cream 40p, cricket teas (£3.50) also available

Injury-hit Driffield Town leapfrogged Sessay, moving six points clear of the relegation zone, after this dramatic winning draw against fellow strugglers Harrogate. With three matches remaining, Sessay (65pts), Driffield (71), Harrogate (75) and Clifton Alliance (79) are in a four-way battle to avoid taking the drop, alongside doomed Acomb (14), to the York & District Senior League's Premier Division. On Bank Holiday Monday, Driffield travel to Sessay, now occupying the second relegation position, for another crucial fixture.

Harrogate, who at 179-3 in the 45th over had looked likely winners, required 10 runs off the last six balls. Three were needed from the final delivery of a gripping contest extending more than seven hours but wicketkeeper Mark Goddard caught a William Bates skier to leave Driffield celebrating. After Corrie Keable's early dismissal, Josh Atkinson (86) and Alexis Twigg (76) put on 125 for the second wicket. Harrogate's momentum faltered seriously when Jamie Hopper (3-31) removed Atkinson, the fourth visitor dismissed, with the score on 191.

Earlier, Driffield owed much to Goddard (30 not out) and Thomas Hudson (24), who added 56 priceless runs for the ninth wicket. Hudson was bowled off the last ball of the innings. The hosts scored painfully slowly during the opening 10 overs before Sri Lankan Kavindu Kulasekara (61) and Danny Broumpton (29) got them moving. Ashley Griffin (5-50) ensured Driffield's acceleration didn't get out of hand.

I gained the impression Driffield will be thrilled - and not a little surprised - to avoid relegation this season. They lost six players, the squad's most experienced, over the winter, and the youngsters left behind have found the going tough. A spate of injuries hasn't helped. Indeed, one of Driffield's key bowlers withdrew from this fixture having failed a morning fitness test on a troublesome hamstring.

This afternoon's trip to the Yorkshire Wolds was a tidying-up exercise. I 'hopped' King's Mill Road, one of the White Rose county's nicest league cricket grounds, in May 2016 but torrential rain saw the match, against local rivals Stamford Bridge, abandoned during the tea interval. Today, we had a 45-minute interruption for rain 18 overs into Harrogate's innings but, thankfully, glorious sunshine returned for the denouement. The ground is dominated from the north end by two splendid wooden structures: a players' pavilion and a stand, complete with dog-tooth fascia, offering four rows of backless bench seats. The red brick clubhouse, inside and out a dreary building, is next to the stand. Immediately to the south is a fairly small second pitch, perpendicular to the main pitch. Unusually, the main pitch, big and flat, is almost fully railed. Only the west side lacks a barrier. The 'back pitch' has its own players' pavilion, much newer than the First XI version. This afternoon, it staged a Third XI fixture with Beverley Town in Division Two (Holderness) of the York & District Senior League. The King's Mill Road complex, two minutes' walk from Driffield's high street, caters also for bowling (two greens) and tennis (all-weather and grass courts). A full-time groundsman ensures everything is kept spick and span.

For sporting (and other) images, visit https://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/

Ground/venue totals: Football 900; Rugby Union 264; Rugby League 214; Cricket 125; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Aug 25, 2018, 9:48 PM)

AV1960
Youth Team Sub

Aug 28, 2018, 9:47 PM

Team(s):

Post #1304 of 1321 (7562 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

TUESDAY 28TH AUGUST, 2018
NORTHAMPTONSHIRE ACADEMY v WORCESTERSHIRE ACADEMY
DAY ONE OF A THREE DAY TRI-SERIES GAME
AT OVERSTONE PARK C.C., OVERSTONE ROAD, SYWELL.
SCORE AT CLOSE: NORTHANTS ACADEMY 326 WORCS ACADEMY 48 FOR 3

Many thanks to Mr B. of Erdington for alerting me to the possibility of a mid week 'tick' with this game moved from it's original venue of Desborough. All the more impressive that he had any spare time for cricket matters with his beloved Watford FC gazing down at most of the Premier League!
This was a new experience after the recent hot weather. There was sawdust around in large quantities and it was a case of find a spot out of the wind, never mind the sun. A really enjoyable ground, however, with a very rural feel being situated on the edge of Sywell village. There is a small but cosy pavilion immediately by the entrance with further wooden buildings for the umpires and the scorers. Trees and bushes give an enclosed feel and in the far corner is an additional Nursery Ground. In two corners of the ground there are benches situated, but these are not your ordinary benches. They are raised on an area of decking and around three sides have their own 'private' fencing, giving the impression that spectators are almost sat on a throne.
I thought we were in for an early finish after just six overs. More and more sawdust had been requested by the bowlers and the Worcs opening left arm bowler then took a nasty fall at the start of the seventh over. After discussions between the umpires and coaches it was agreed to restrict the offending end to either right arm bowlers or spin bowlers. This seemed to work well and the day followed it's course with Northants reaching 326 all out. Highlights were Ben Claydon carrying his bat for 192 and Pete Clark taking 7 for 28. In reply Worcs had reached 48 for 3 by the close at which point we were enjoying the first sunshine of the day.
Plane spotters would enjoy the steady stream of aircraft leaving the nearby Sywell Aerodrome. Among the more mundane was what I was sure was a Spitfire and what looked suspiciously like a Luftwaffe fighter complete with swastikas.
The game continues for two further days but anyone intending to make a visit should note that today's start was 10.45am.

Witton Ender

John403
Youth Team Regular

Sep 1, 2018, 8:21 PM

Team(s): Fulham, Tooting & Mitcham, AFC Croydon Athletic

Post #1305 of 1321 (7374 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AV1960] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ireland v Afghanistan

3rd ODI @ Stormont

Admission £15, Scorecard Free

Fancied this fixture several months ago & booked cheap return flights Heathrow to Belfast from British Airways. What appealed was the ground is a 2 mile walk (easy walk through suburban streets) from Belfast City Airport, flight times also pretty good and easily to do in a day.

The ground is part of the very large Stormont Estate and is home to a number of different sports. 3/4 tree lined and the typical floodlight hockey pitches behind the pavilion. The pavilion was extremely busy with i think mostly people who weren’t there for the cricket.

With the 3 match series level at 1-1 and this being the decider I thought this game might have attracted a few more than the 300-400 I reckon were in attendance which included about 50 very vocal Afghan supporters. Not sure how many tickets they sold for the test match they played but on the evidence of this attendance I do wander how much interest the Irish public have in there cricket team.

I was impressed Afghanistan, they bowled really good line and length bowling Ireland out for 124 & then knocking the runs off with the minimum of fuss and only 2 wickets. The winning runs being a 4 straight into the area the Afghan fans were standing meaning one of them got a great souvenir of the match ball. The game all over just before 4pm and leaving me with 4 hours to kill before my flight home !

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 2, 2018, 6:56 PM

Post #1306 of 1321 (7283 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AV1960] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
TUESDAY 28TH AUGUST, 2018
NORTHAMPTONSHIRE ACADEMY v WORCESTERSHIRE ACADEMY
DAY ONE OF A THREE DAY TRI-SERIES GAME
AT OVERSTONE PARK C.C., OVERSTONE ROAD, SYWELL.
SCORE AT CLOSE: NORTHANTS ACADEMY 326 WORCS ACADEMY 48 FOR 3

Plane spotters would enjoy the steady stream of aircraft leaving the nearby Sywell Aerodrome. Among the more mundane was what I was sure was a Spitfire and what looked suspiciously like a Luftwaffe fighter complete with swastikas.

More than one Spitfire regularly flies in and out of Sywell, probably to Duxford. Both airfields offer flights to the public: 'wing to wing', where the customer goes up in another aircraft to fly alongside, or a spin in the two-seater. The former costs £300, the latter just short of £5000 for 50 minutes.

One of the Spitfires is about regularly over here in Wellingborough. I think both Sywell and Duxford have an ME109, though I'm not sure if I've seen one – there is another aircraft around now and then but it's never been near enough to make it out for certain.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Sep 2, 2018, 8:54 PM

Post #1307 of 1321 (7260 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John403] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday 2nd September 2018
Rochdale versus Burnley (50 overs, 12.30pm start)
Lancashire League
Rochdale won the toss and elected to bat
Rochdale (9pts) 145 off 48.4 overs tied with Burnley (9ts) 145 off 50 overs
Admission £4
Programme (w/a) 12pp
Attendance 110 (h/c)
Tea £1 (chips with everything-style food also available from the clubhouse)

I couldn't have scripted a more exciting finish to my 2018 cricket season. Rochdale forced a dramatic tie by taking Burnley wickets from each of an absorbing game's last two deliveries. With one round of matches remaining, this result secured a top-12 finish for the visitors, and a place in 2019's First Division. Rochdale, occupying 12th place, now sweat on the final weekend of the Lancashire League campaign as they look to avoid being condemned to Division Two.

On the large Redbrook ground, outfield rendered lush and slow by recent rain, and wicket offering unpredictable bounce, neither team found run-scoring easy. Dale, 94-6 after 35 overs, did pretty well to post 145. Skipper Michael Harling hit 46 from 111 balls, and was supported primarily by Ben Chapman (29). Cole Hayman took 4-38 and Chris Holt 3-26. Burnley stumbled to 43-4 before Chris Burton (43) and sub professional Owais Shah (27), the veteran former England player, added a patient 47 for the fifth wicket. Chapman (3-41) removed both. The scores were tied with two balls left. Oli Makin (2-46) bowled Steve Brunt (12) as the Burnley man went for a big hit over a tight ring of close fielders. Makin then brought the house down by running out Hayman (0) as the tail-ender attempted what would have been the decisive single.

I liked Redbrook, close to the Spotland football/rugby league stadium, much more than I expected to. It is a large, spacious ground, with one of the most impressive clubhouses I've seen in league cricket. An ideal venue for cup finals, I imagine. The clubhouse, a vast, two-storey structure, is known as Rochdale Sports Club. Other users include Rochdale St Clement's FC, Rochdale Lacrosse Club and sundry squash players. Mature trees to the east, west and south hem in the ground very nicely. It has a surprisingly rural atmosphere. When the sun shone during the Rochdale innings, it looked a picture. At the north end of the ground, banking (a fine vantage point) rises gently to a football pitch. A shame the permanent nets, on the west side, have become infested with rosebay willow herb. Many clubs would love to have such high-quality nets.

To crown a memorable afternoon, my wife managed to win the raffle. The rather eclectic prize (somebody's unwanted gifts, surely?) comprised a bottle of rose - possibly still trendy in Rochdale - and a tin of M&S shortbread. Should we dunk the latter in the former?

For the second time in less than 24 hours, I can nominate a Dickhead Driver of the Day. On this occasion, it was a buffoon at the wheel of a Merc. Unaccountably, when turning right at a junction into oncoming and left-turning traffic, he neglected to give way. Just as well I was bearing left, and able to brake sharply, otherwise he'd have taken me out in the driver's door. Knob. Is it me or does the standard of driving in Britain get worse with every passing year?

* Lancashire League Darwen lifted the Lancashire Knockout Cup at Ormskirk Cricket Club this afternoon after beating Clifton, of the Greater Manchester League, by two wickets. Having restricted Clifton to 146-9, Darwen slumped to 48-5 and 69-7 before skipper Mark Friend and Neil Cordingley put on an unbroken 57 for the ninth wicket, steering the Birch Hall men to victory. One for PaulC to enjoy.

Ground/venue totals: Football 900; Rugby Union 264; Rugby League 214; Cricket 125; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Sep 2, 2018, 9:07 PM)

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 3, 2018, 8:22 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #1308 of 1321 (7176 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

* Lancashire League Darwen lifted the Lancashire Knockout Cup at Ormskirk Cricket Club this afternoon after beating Clifton, of the Greater Manchester League, by two wickets. Having restricted Clifton to 146-9, Darwen slumped to 48-5 and 69-7 before skipper Mark Friend and Neil Cordingley put on an unbroken 57 for the ninth wicket, steering the Birch Hall men to victory. One for PaulC to enjoy.

it was nerve-wracking following this one.

Quite a weekend for the club. On Saturday they beat Walsden in the Lancashire League. Walsden's prior record had been W19 L0 (2 abandoned) so their champagne had to be put on ice.

EDIT For any potential hoppers

With one game left in the league Walsden lead Lowerhouse by six points.

Final games on Sunday
Church v Lowerhouse
Rawtenstall v Walsden

Even tighter is the battle to get into the top 12 next season. Rochdale lead Todmorden by one point.

Rochdale v Nelson
Todmorden v Bacup

(This post was edited by PaulC on Sep 3, 2018, 8:31 AM)

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Sep 4, 2018, 8:36 AM

Post #1309 of 1321 (7010 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A few more ground pics from the second half of my 2018 cricket season...

Booth (Halifax League)

https://www.flickr.com/...n/dateposted-public/

Brighouse (Bradford Premier League)

Carlton (Bradford Premier League)

Clifton (Greater Manchester Premier League)

Copmanthorpe (Foss Evening League)

Copley (Halifax League)

Driffield Town (Yorkshire North Premier League)

Gomersal (Bradford Premier League)

Grimsby Town (Lincolnshire Premier League)

Hartlepool (North Yorkshire & South Durham Premier League)

Holmfirth (Huddersfield League)

Middlesbrough (North Yorkshire & South Durham Premier League)

Mytholmroyd (Halifax League)

Nelson (Lancashire League)

Netherfield (Northern Premier League)

Otley (Airedale & Wharfedale League)

Richmondshire (North Yorkshire & South Durham Premier League)

Rochdale (Lancashire League)

Settle (Ribblesdale League)

Thornton (Halifax League)

Walton Park (Wetherby League)

Woodbank (Greater Manchester Premier League)

Woodhouse Grange (Yorkshire North Premier League)

Other sport images at https://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Sep 4, 2018, 8:36 AM)

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 5, 2018, 6:44 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #1310 of 1321 (6877 views)
Shortcut

Somerset 192 & 77 tied with Lancashire 99 & 170, County Championship Division 1, Att: 2000ish, Admission: £13 (in advance)

Astonishing. I'd turned up to this with the visitors already 7-2 in their 2nd innings overnight and still 86 behind Somerset on a very suspect wicket and England prospect Jack Leach ripping it square. Such was my despondency that I was surprised the hosts hadn't enforced the extra half hour last night to save us all the bother. Indeed, Lancs were soon 12-3 and 22-4 as their batting continued to fail. However Livingstone with 39 and Croft with 51 steadied the ship somewhat and some late hitting suggested we would at least make it to midway through the afternoon. However, Somerset had other ideas and were soon 23-5 and wickets continued to fall regularly until when Liam Livingstone almost held a spectacular catch on the boundary which would have left the hosts wanting 14 with 9 wickets down. Instead it bobbled out and over the boundary and Somerset got to within 2 before the ninth wicket fell, leaving Jamie Overton and Jack Leach to scramble home, a feat that was beyond them as Leach attrmpted to hit the winning runs out of the ground and was caught in the deep resulting in the first tied match in the Chamoionship for 15 years and the fourth lowest 4th innings total in world cricket history in a tied game.

Taunton is one of those traditional county cricket grounds which makes the game what it is in this country, at its best in the September sunshine with a crowd happy to applaud good play from both sides, even in the tensest of finishes. Brilliant entertainment, although I fear the pitch inspectors might have their say.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

AnotherGlassboy
First Team Sub

Sep 7, 2018, 3:29 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC

Post #1311 of 1321 (6678 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Mon 20 Aug

First return to Edgbaston for decades to see

Day 2 of 4 (but final day as it turned out) of

Warwicks 277 ao (Rhodes 137) beat Gloucs (127 and 103 ao ) by an innings and 47

First time this century to visit a ground where I watched Amiss and Abberley, MJK and AC Smith, Kanhai and Gibbs, Jameson and Ibadulla - and many more in those now golden-tinged years of memory from the 1970s .

Went to watch my daughter play for Worcs U15s v Warwickshire at Leamington CC a couple of weeks ago (2 T20s, both won by Worcs. Yippee!!!) and one of our parents walking round the ground got talking to an elderly chap walking his dog.

He said his son was steward at the club and he always liked to watch a game when there was one on, especially if Warwickshire were inolved in any way, as he used to play for them.

"Really?" asked our parent. "Would I have heard of you?"

"Maybe," said the old boy, "although it was a few years ago now. I'm Mike Smith, but most people knew me as MJK..."

He was, I believe, England's last dual international, playing both cricket and rugby.

AndyE
First Team Star

Sep 9, 2018, 5:08 PM

Team(s): Chatham Town

Post #1312 of 1321 (6584 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AnotherGlassboy] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

On the Nursery Ground at Lord's, Bickley Park 268 Cross Arrows 242.
Public admission £3, includes scorecard. MCC members free.

The last part of Bickley Park CC's 150th birthday party saw us get lucky in the ballot and get a Cross Arrows game down the bottom end at Lord's. There's some doubt about the future of Cross Arrows because the MCC is planning to redevelop that area of Lord's, so we might have got in just in time.

The cricket wasn't taken excessively seriously, and the short boundaries mean that scores tend to be high. The timing of the match wasn't ideal for us because the 1st XI captain was getting married on the same day (having carefully planned for his wedding to be outside the league season!), so our team was drawn mostly from the 2nd XI. It was about the right standard, and the Cross Arrows don't especially appreciate clubs who turn up with all their stars and play as they would in a league game.

Cross Arrows included one MCC Young Cricketer (Kashif Ali, who has also been playing for Kent II this season) and one Women's Super League player (Maia Bouchier of Southern Vipers), but the rest were club players and most were of middle years. Dr Richard Wyse, who is 72, played his last game for Middlesex in 1978, and has been bowling an assortment of donkey drops - but right on a length - and surprisingly brisk quicker balls ever since!

Good fun, and a great way to end a very enjoyable birthday season.

PaulC

Sep 10, 2018, 12:17 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #1313 of 1321 (6521 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

it was nerve-wracking following this one.

Quite a weekend for the club. On Saturday they beat Walsden in the Lancashire League. Walsden's prior record had been W19 L0 (2 abandoned) so their champagne had to be put on ice.

EDIT For any potential hoppers

With one game left in the league Walsden lead Lowerhouse by six points.

Final games on Sunday
Church v Lowerhouse
Rawtenstall v Walsden

Even tighter is the battle to get into the top 12 next season. Rochdale lead Todmorden by one point.

Rochdale v Nelson
Todmorden v Bacup

Walsden were duly crowned champions of the Lancashire League.

Next season the top 12 will comprise
Walsden, Norden, Crompton, Rochdale (all ex-Central Lancashire and latterly Pennine League)
Darwen (ex-Northern League)
Clitheroe (ex-Ribblesdale League)
Lowerhouse, Ramsbottom, Church, Burnley, Accrington, Todmorden (traditional Lancashire League)

The bottom 12 are
Middleton, Littleborough, Milnrow (ex CLL/PL)
Great Harwood (ex Ribblesdale League)
Nelson, Enfield, Haslingden, Colne, Rawtenstall, Bacup, East Lancs, Rishton (traditional Lancs League)

thowdreds
Youth Team Star

Sep 10, 2018, 12:37 PM

Team(s): Accrington Stanley, Blackburn Rovers, BurnleyLeicester City, Halesowen Town

Post #1314 of 1321 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Interesting that the split between the various leagues isn't far off 50:50.

totallyuntamed
First Team Star

Sep 12, 2018, 3:12 PM

Team(s): Coventry City

Post #1315 of 1321 (6303 views)
Shortcut
Re: [thowdreds] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

ENGLAND v INDIA FIFTH TEST FOURTH DAY AT THE OVAL TICKET £42 SCORECARD FREE
I only decided to go to this match when I heard that Alastair Cook was retiring and hoped that I would get to see him bat. It all worked out perfectly with me being there to see him reach yet another century in his final innings for England. The Oval is a mere 200 yards from Oval tube station - ideal for travelling in but for the return journey I decided to use Vauxhall which is a 10 minutes walk away. This worked very well.There is far less cover at The Oval than there is at Lord's which makes it look a lot more like a stadium than a cricket ground. Capacity is 25,000 and the attendance on Monday was a remarkable 19,273 with people coming in all day. The ground has been extensively rebuilt since my last visit but the familiar gasholder remains in place, although now of course empty of any gas. My seat at the Vauxhall End was almost directly behind the bowler's arm and was a very reasonable £42. Opposite me was the imposing pavilion with corporate boxes surrounding it which can also be found at the Vauxhall End. Other than that there is barely any cover, giving the ground the look of a Mediterranean football stadium.The cricket was peerless and the atmosphere the best I can ever recall at a test match. The quality, drama and excitement of the day's cricket showed why a five day test provides the best spectacle for the discerning cricket watcher with James Anderson equalling Glenn McGrath's record number of test wickets for a fast bowler.

"There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Milletts".

dottirofhod

Sep 12, 2018, 5:00 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #1316 of 1321 (6291 views)
Shortcut
Re: [totallyuntamed] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
ENGLAND v INDIA FIFTH TEST FOURTH DAY AT THE OVAL TICKET £42 SCORECARD FREE

The quality, drama and excitement of the day's cricket showed why a five day test provides the best spectacle for the discerning cricket watcher with James Anderson equalling Glenn McGrath's record number of test wickets for a fast bowler.

==========================================================
? =
England's James Anderson took the final wicket to become the most successful fast bowler in Test cricket and secure a 118-run victory in the fifth Test against India at The Oval.
The 36-year-old bowled Mohammed Shami to claim his 564th wicket, surpassing the record of Australia's Glenn McGrath.

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 139/ 115 / 24(You know my rules) @ 14 /12 /2018.(Only 11 x 0-0's)

Project TFTTUEFAG's2018/19. Clubs 712.Grounds (Variable).
Need - 108 ( 15.2%).

totallyuntamed
First Team Star

Sep 12, 2018, 6:32 PM

Team(s): Coventry City

Post #1317 of 1321 (6268 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If you read the header you will see that I went on the fourth day when Anderson took two wickets, thus equalling McGrath's record. He broke it on the 5th day which I did not attend.

"There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Milletts".

dottirofhod

Sep 12, 2018, 9:48 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #1318 of 1321 (6235 views)
Shortcut
Re: [totallyuntamed] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Oops, forgot there were 5 days used in test matches.

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 139/ 115 / 24(You know my rules) @ 14 /12 /2018.(Only 11 x 0-0's)

Project TFTTUEFAG's2018/19. Clubs 712.Grounds (Variable).
Need - 108 ( 15.2%).

AV1960
Youth Team Sub

Sep 20, 2018, 12:18 PM

Team(s):

Post #1319 of 1321 (5791 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

WEDNESDAY 19TH SEPTEMBER, 2018
LEICESTERSHIRE v DURHAM
COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION TWO - DAY TWO OF FOUR
OVERNIGHT SCORE FROM DAY ONE: LEICS. 316 FOR 8
TODAY: LEICS. 321 ALL OUT DURHAM 61 ALL OUT & 66 ALL OUT

A sensational way to finish this season's action at Grace Road and an absolute privilege to be present to watch a master craftsman at work in the shape of Leicestershire's Muhammad Abbas. Aided by a strong following wind, a succession of Division Two batsmen were completely unable to cope with his pace, accuracy and movement. Tellingly his match figures of 18.3-6-52-10 included five bowled and two lbw.
Excellent support from Dexter, Mike and Griffiths meant Durham were never let off the hook for one second. Dexter's first innings figures of 7-6-1-1 were particularly notable. By the end we had seen the remarkable sight of a first class county recording it's two lowest scores in first class cricket.
The day's cricket was played out in an unremittingly strong wind, with players regularly chasing their caps across the outfield and the bails often blowing off as the bowler was heading in. Most disconcerting was probably watching the floodlights rocking to and fro. However, by choosing seats in the lee of the Indoor Cricket School at the Bennett End, a large number of spectators enjoyed the day in relatively 'snug' conditions. The traditional lunchtime circuit (with Durham 37 for 7) was particularly interesting with many of the crowd almost in a daze. Overheard was "The scoreboards playing up. It must be 370 for 7" and "The wife will wake me up in a minute and ask if I'm going to the cricket".
Special mention for two Durham players. Alex Lees who somehow managed double figures twice amidst the carnage and of course Paul Collingwood making his last away first class appearance. Not his best day with a first innings golden duck and a second innings bowled for five by what was possibly Abbas' most vicious delivery of the day. Nonetheless his wonderful career was acknowledged by a generous reception from the Leicestershire faithful.
As a member at Leicester this was quite a way to finish the season. My other membership is at Derby so now I'm looking for something similar next week v. Gloucestershire!

Witton Ender

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 20, 2018, 9:21 PM

Post #1320 of 1321 (5732 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
LEICESTERSHIRE v DURHAM
Most disconcerting was probably watching the floodlights rocking to and fro.

At Lords (both yesterday and today) play had to be ended early because the strong winds made it too risky to raise the floodlights. Which is rather odd, as the floodlights at Lords are much thicker and sturdier than those at other cricket grounds.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 21, 2018, 9:51 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #1321 of 1321 (5664 views)
Shortcut
Re: [greenwood] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
LEICESTERSHIRE v DURHAM
Most disconcerting was probably watching the floodlights rocking to and fro.

At Lords (both yesterday and today) play had to be ended early because the strong winds made it too risky to raise the floodlights. Which is rather odd, as the floodlights at Lords are much thicker and sturdier than those at other cricket grounds.

I am no engineer but could it be that when a force is applied to something thick and sturdy it either stays where it is or breaks whereas something (relatively) thin and spindly can sway about quite happily without suffering any damage? Perhaps that is why the big, permanent, old-fashioned light towers at football grounds have pylons which are not solid and allow wind to pass through them.

First page Previous page 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3