Mergers that did not happen or Fell Apart

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Mar 6, 2011, 6:56 PM

Team(s): Darlington and Sunderland

Post #1 of 18 (1984 views)
Shortcut
Mergers that did not happen or Fell Apart Can't Post or Reply Privately

After reading Rainjars thread about mergers, I was wondering about mergers hat either failed or fell apart

A few I picked up off Wikipedia were

Oxford and Reading, creating the Thames Valley Royals
QPR and Fulham, to be known as Fulham Park RangersQPR and Wimbledon(before MK)Chester and TranmereSheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday
Team Bath and Bath City(sure Phil of Bath would have a very strong opinion and argument on that issue)
Liverpool and Everton crops up once in a while

Some mergers I have heard but never sure about was:

Maidstone United and Newcastle Blue Star
Newcastle United and Sunderland

Not 100% sure about SAFC and NUFC, but I think it was well known that Sir John Hall wanted to build a big Stadium in Washington, either for a merged team to play in it or just simply as San Siro kind of Stadium, where both groundshare.

One of the must ludicrous Ideas I ever heard from a mate of mine was from a friend, talking about an Old Firm Merger...yeah right, like that would ever happen, on an extreme note, that would be pretty much like the UVF/UFF merging with the IRA...

Can anybody else contribute to this

Mista Fozz

Husband, Dad, Mascot Extraordinaire and all round IdiotMy Twitter Feed[/url]

dtd
Youth Team Sub

Mar 6, 2011, 9:04 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 18 (1908 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozzII] Mergers that did not happen or Fell Apart [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Maidstone United and Newcastle Blue Star??? I know the former have had some issues getting a ground ...

ladderman
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 6, 2011, 9:07 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #3 of 18 (1903 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozzII] Mergers that did not happen or Fell Apart [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

East Stirlingshire Clydebank lasted a year, but it did help Clydebank get into the Scottish League in their own right.

I thought the Maidstone/Newcastle idea was a proposed move of Maidstone United to Newcastle rather than a merger. I think they were going to call them Newcastle BrownsCrazy

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Mar 6, 2011, 10:34 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #4 of 18 (1818 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
After reading Rainjars thread about mergers, I was wondering about mergers hat either failed or fell apart

Oxford and Reading, creating the Thames Valley Royals
QPR and Fulham, to be known as Fulham Park RangersQPR and Wimbledon(before MK)Chester and TranmereSheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday
Team Bath and Bath City(sure Phil of Bath would have a very strong opinion and argument on that issue)
Liverpool and Everton crops up once in a while

ShockedShockedShockedShocked that'll be the groundshare idea that crops up, not a merger of the two clubs!! Wink In the same part of the world, though, at step 7 there was the South Liverpool and Cheshire Lines merger in the 1990s, which produced the imaginatively named Cheshire Lines-South Liverpool FC, only for both clubs to go their separate ways and revert to their original names again a season or two later.

Mishi

Mar 6, 2011, 11:27 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #5 of 18 (1786 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Mergers that did not happen or Fell Apart [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

When the old Champion Hill was on its last legs in the late eighties, it really was a death trap in the end, Bromley offered to merge with us, if we went to Hayes Lane, in the same way that Walthamstow Avenue 'merged' with Leytonstone Ilford! We declined...

A few years later Bromley had their 'unlucky' double fires, which eventually burnt down their main stand. We offered them the same...in reverse! Unsurprisingly they declined too!

Those two were never made public at the time, but both were genuine serious boardroom offers.

There were always rumours by people stirring it that Fisher Athletic would merge with Dulwich Hamlet to form a 'Southwark United'. Still waiting on that one...no chance!

And, from this summer, Erith & Dartford Town, which was dropped before a ball was kicked in anger!

Not a merger, but name changes. In the seventies an idea was mooted to change Millwall to 'Lewisham' to give them a 'friendlier face' & new identity, to make it more attractive to sponsors & locals...it never happened!

Grounds visited: 732
Last new ground:Old Rutlishians' FC; Poplar Road, Merton Park, London, SW19. (Surrey South Eastern Combination Division One)
Last game: Friday 19th October 2018: Croydon 2, Lewes 3. [FA Youth Cup 3rd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 75
2017/18-New English grounds: 9; & foreign: 2

MortyVicker
Youth Team Sub

Mar 7, 2011, 12:34 AM

Team(s): Gillingham

Post #6 of 18 (1762 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Mergers that did not happen or Fell Apart [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I remember the Fulham Park Rangers attempt - David Bulstrode was behind that, I think, at a time when people were falling over themselves to free up valuable West London real estate. "The results would be read out earlier on Final Score" was how the name change was marketed to QPR fans.

It was those proposed mergers - along with the ground issue at The Valley - that first started to arouse supporters into organised and successful protest. The fanzine era sprung from that during an era when supporters didn't have any kind of voice.

I remember the farcical proposal to "save" the doomed Maidstone United as well - the relocation to the North East as the Newcastle Browns. There was always a feeling that Maidstone were trying to merge with Dartford on the quiet...they moved in, painted their ground yellow, and ultimately took them down with them....

rainjar
First Team Star

Mar 7, 2011, 2:25 AM

Post #7 of 18 (1731 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Can anybody else contribute to this

The original Wikipedia list of mergers was fairly arbitrary. I started adding to it and then later split it.

I haven't touched the list of "Proosed mergers".

Currently, it stands as:

"English teams
* Fulham F.C. and Woolwich Arsenal in 1912; controversial owner of both clubs Henry Norris planned on merging the two clubs to create a "London Superclub". The Football Association blocked the move, but didn't stop Norris serving as Chairman to both clubs.[2]
* Huddersfield Town F.C. and Leeds United A.F.C. in 1919; scrapped due to Huddersfield Town supporters purchasing shares in club to ensure independence[3]]
* Port Vale F.C. and Stoke City F.C. in 1926 and 2003;[4] Stoke rejected merger proposals in 1926, before their owners made a failed attempt to buy out a Port Vale in administration 77 years later.
* Queens Park Rangers F.C. and Brentford F.C. in 1967.[5]
* Oxford United F.C. and Reading F.C. in 1983 by Robert Maxwell; scrapped after both team's supporters objected.[6] Team would have been named Thames Valley Royals.
* Queens Park Rangers F.C. and Fulham F.C. in 1987 as Fulham Park Rangers.[5]
* Sheffield Wednesday F.C. and Sheffield United F.C.; a debate on whether or not the two big clubs should merge has often been made when one of the club's have come into financial difficulties.[7]
* Queens Park Rangers F.C. and Wimbledon F.C. in 2001;[5] nothing came of the discussion and Wimbledon later relocated to become the Milton Keynes Dons F.C.
* Chester City F.C. and Tranmere Rovers F.C. in 2002;[8] nothing came of the talk and Chester City folded a few years later.
* Redditch United F.C. and Bromsgrove Rovers F.C. in 2008 and 2009; talks took place about a possible merger,[9] but came to nothing.
* Team Bath F.C. and Bath City F.C. in 2009; the merger did not go ahead and Team Bath folded.[10]"

Anyone can edit the list.

Football Insights

(This post was edited by rainjar on Mar 7, 2011, 2:26 AM)

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Mar 7, 2011, 5:40 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #8 of 18 (1712 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainjar] Mergers that did not happen or Fell Apart [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I haven't touched the list of "Proosed mergers".

Currently, it stands as:

"English teams
* Chester City F.C. and Tranmere Rovers F.C. in 2002;[8] nothing came of the talk and Chester City folded a few years later.
Anyone can edit the list.

It's probably overstating it to call this a proposed merger. When he owned Chester City, Vaughan reportedly threatened to move the club out of Chester and Tranmere was mentioned as one of a number of possible groundshares. He did also reportedly make an offer to invest in Rovers around that time though I don't know if official talks ever moved forward. Although this all gave rise to speculation, I'm pretty sure a merger was never proposed by either of the two clubs (...and certainly not by Tranmere).

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Mar 7, 2011, 5:46 AM)

Richard Rundle

Mar 7, 2011, 9:02 AM

Post #9 of 18 (1673 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Mergers that did not happen or Fell Apart [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The one I recall off the top of my head is Llangefni-Glantraeth

--
Richard

ARL
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 7, 2011, 9:41 AM

Team(s): Tring Town 1987-2003, Leverstock Green 2003-

Post #10 of 18 (1651 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MortyVicker] Mergers that did not happen or Fell Apart [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I remember the Fulham Park Rangers attempt - David Bulstrode was behind that, I think, at a time when people were falling over themselves to free up valuable West London real estate. "The results would be read out earlier on Final Score" was how the name change was marketed to QPR fans.

It was those proposed mergers - along with the ground issue at The Valley - that first started to arouse supporters into organised and successful protest. The fanzine era sprung from that during an era when supporters didn't have any kind of voice

I was just thinking yesterday - back in the height of Bulstrode madness in the mid-80s, and the proposed groundshares/mergers etc - who would have imagined back then that 25 years hence, Stamford Bridge, Craven Cottage, Loftus Road and Griffin Park would all still be very much surviving stadia? A very different story to east London, of course...

garethwrexy

Mar 7, 2011, 9:42 AM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #11 of 18 (1647 views)
Shortcut

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

(This post was edited by garethwrexy on Mar 7, 2011, 9:46 AM)

phil of Bath
First Team Regular

Mar 7, 2011, 12:40 PM

Team(s): Bath City

Post #12 of 18 (1568 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainjar] Mergers that did not happen or Fell Apart [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
* Team Bath F.C. and Bath City F.C. in 2009; the merger did not go ahead and Team Bath folded.[10]"

It's probably overstating it to call this a proposed merger as well. As soon as Ged Roddy realised that his project to conquer the world was not going to work, there was a conversation, no more, about it, but he was not interested in anything that he was not in charge of, and that was it. I think he is now something to do with the Olympics. Team Bath still 'exist' in other sports like netball.

rainjar
First Team Star

Mar 7, 2011, 1:32 PM

Post #13 of 18 (1529 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

It's probably overstating it to call this a proposed merger. ....

Also in reply to phil of Bath above.

In Reply To

In Reply To

It's probably overstating it to call this a proposed merger as well. ....

I've raised this on the Discussion page to the Wikipedia article, by adding a link back to this thread. Smile

Football Insights

(This post was edited by rainjar on Mar 7, 2011, 1:33 PM)

007Dale
First Team Regular

Mar 7, 2011, 9:31 PM

Post #14 of 18 (1427 views)
Shortcut

I seem to remember talk of Barnet moving to Stevenage when they couldn't get permission to bring their ground up to league standard. Not sure if it was a merger or just a ground share idea.

Also, was their talk of Rushden and Northampton coming together a while ago?

And I think there was talk of Farsley Celtic (mainly from Farsley) merging or taking over Leeds United when the latter were on the verge of folding. It coincided with the year Farsley were in the Conference, so actually only 2 divisions below them.

Darren Lovell
First Team Star

Mar 7, 2011, 10:23 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #15 of 18 (1404 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MortyVicker] Mergers that did not happen or Fell Apart [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I remember the farcical proposal to "save" the doomed Maidstone United as well - the relocation to the North East as the Newcastle Browns. There was always a feeling that Maidstone were trying to merge with Dartford on the quiet...they moved in, painted their ground yellow, and ultimately took them down with them....

We did not paint Watling Street yellow. It was amber!!
The suggestion to relocate the club in the North East as Newcastle Browns was just unbelievable. The thought process was that The Browns would play on Saturdays when Newcastle United were away and that The Browns would become the "second club" of United fans!!
The man who was the figurehead for this plan was Michael Knighton, who went on to become a ball juggler extrordinare at Old Trafford and then chairman at Carlisle United.

Grounds Visited 308
Last New Ground: Motspur Park, Fulham FC
Last Game: Newport County 2-0 Plymouth Argyle
Checkatrade Trophy 13.11.18
Games In Season 2018-19: 39
New Grounds This Season: 8
Goals This Season: 109
Ave goals per game: 2.79

zebedee
First Team Star

Mar 7, 2011, 10:34 PM

Team(s): Southport

Post #16 of 18 (1392 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Mergers that did not happen or Fell Apart [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
And I think there was talk of Farsley Celtic (mainly from Farsley) merging or taking over Leeds United when the latter were on the verge of folding. It coincided with the year Farsley were in the Conference, so actually only 2 divisions below them.

I remember about that time there were plans for Farsley to rename themselves 'Leeds Celtic' in order to attract fans from a wider area. I don't recall any suggestions that they would merge with Leeds United though. In the end of course Farsley kept their own name (similarily Mickleover Sports at one point planned to rename themselves 'Derby', but again it didn't come to anything).

eesti7
First Team Sub

Mar 7, 2011, 11:16 PM

Team(s): Gillingham, Tonbridge

Post #17 of 18 (1373 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Mergers that did not happen or Fell Apart [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

A few years later Bromley had their 'unlucky' double fires, which eventually burnt down their main stand. We offered them the same...in reverse! Unsurprisingly they declined too!

As someone who tells it as it is can you expand on the unlucky bit?

I seem to recall that the unlucky fire (I only know of one) occurred not long after they had suggested their intention to demolish the old wooden main stand and build something in it's place. But I've often wondered if I didn't just imagine this. Certainly it struck me as a convenient coincidence at the time, atlhough I've not met anyone who can also recall this.

Mishi

Mar 7, 2011, 11:21 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #18 of 18 (1371 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eesti7] Mergers that did not happen or Fell Apart [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The first fire occured when an electric fire was left on in their small bar I believe, & a chair fell onto it during the night. Although the bar was burnt down the fire brigade were 'fortunately' on the scene quick enough to save the stand & dressing rooms,as I recall.

Not long after, on or around Bonfire Night, what was not burnt down first time was, would you believe it, hit by a firwrok from a nearby display & burnt to the ground.

How unlucky can you get...

I could say more, but the then Bromley official who is still alive & kicking, is a decent bloke, & I want to be alive & don't want a kicking from him! ;-)

Grounds visited: 732
Last new ground:Old Rutlishians' FC; Poplar Road, Merton Park, London, SW19. (Surrey South Eastern Combination Division One)
Last game: Friday 19th October 2018: Croydon 2, Lewes 3. [FA Youth Cup 3rd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 75
2017/18-New English grounds: 9; & foreign: 2

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3