First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 8, 2011, 10:40 AM

Team(s): Fareham Town - THE CREEKSIDERS

Post #1 of 54 (10653 views)
Shortcut
Player sent off for tackling a streaker Can't Post or Reply Privately

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/non-league-football/footballer_sent_off_for_tackling_streaker_1_2478627

Unfortunately it seems that the link wont work properly when I copied it. You can see the lack of action by stewards and anyone until Vickers decides enough is enough. Just how quick was the ref to blow his whistle and show the red card.

What an idiot. I hope he isnt demoted down to the Wessex League on Saturday as a result. Terrible decision.

The text from the link below
---------------------------------------------------------
The league game between Havant and Waterlooville and Dorchester last night descended into farce when the mankini wearing fan ran on to the pitch and disrupted play for just over a minute.

Dorchester defender Ashley Vickers wrestled the streaker to the floor and was then promptly shown the red card by the ref.

Hawks director Trevor Brock said: ‘Last evening’s events will be subject to a Football Association investigation. On behalf of the football club I would just like to say that it is very difficult to completely stop that sort of thing happening because if a streaker is going to go on the pitch it is always going to happen.

‘However, he was quickly apprehended courtesy of the Dorchester player-manager Ashley Vickers and was immediately ejected from the ground by the stewards.

‘He will be banned from the ground.’

The game ended 3-1 to the Hawks.

Anyone with any queries or need any help planning a trip to Fareham Town FC - give me a bell.

Any pre 1979-80 Fareham Town programmes wanted plus any further memorabilia/press etc.

For photos of places where I have been on my football travels, check my facebook page at paulsplodgeproctor.

Don't forget to check out www.facebook.com/nonleaguebins. THE facebook page to "like" in 2014

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 8, 2011, 10:50 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #2 of 54 (10633 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Player sent off for tackling a streaker [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Whilst it is generally best for players to leave things like this to stewards to deal with clearly the player was just helping the stewards to apprehend the idiot in question so they could get on with the game..................surely the most ridiculous red card ever?

Andy D
First Team Star

Mar 8, 2011, 10:53 AM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #3 of 54 (10627 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Player sent off for tackling a streaker [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Or let the police deal with it........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/...chester/3569991.stmt..........

....or maybe not.........

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

leohoenig
Administrator

Mar 8, 2011, 10:53 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #4 of 54 (10627 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Player sent off for tackling a streaker [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/...g_streaker_1_2478627

I think this will work.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at www.leohoenig.com

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 8, 2011, 10:54 AM

Team(s): Fareham Town - THE CREEKSIDERS

Post #5 of 54 (10621 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Player sent off for tackling a streaker [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

ThanksSmile

Anyone with any queries or need any help planning a trip to Fareham Town FC - give me a bell.

Any pre 1979-80 Fareham Town programmes wanted plus any further memorabilia/press etc.

For photos of places where I have been on my football travels, check my facebook page at paulsplodgeproctor.

Don't forget to check out www.facebook.com/nonleaguebins. THE facebook page to "like" in 2014

London Harrier
First Team Star

Mar 8, 2011, 11:19 AM

Post #6 of 54 (10594 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Player sent off for tackling a streaker [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Whilst it is generally best for players to leave things like this to stewards to deal with clearly the player was just helping the stewards to apprehend the idiot in question so they could get on with the game..................surely the most ridiculous red card ever?

I seem to recall Paul Ince bundling a pitch invader over at Barnsley a few years ago, and nobody said a word. In fact he was very much regarded as something of a hero.

I think it was this game here http://www.independent.co.uk/...willard-1153317.html

Northern League Easter Hop 2014 map

Mcr Warrior
Youth Team Sub

Mar 8, 2011, 12:04 PM

Post #7 of 54 (10557 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Player sent off for tackling a streaker [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wink I recall a similar incident seven years ago when Witton Albion's veteran defender Brian Pritchard (whose daytime job is as a police constable) was sent off by the referee for tackling a streaker in the 2003-2004 season Cheshire Senior Cup Final v Woodley Sports FC at Altrincham FC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/3569991.stm

Mishi

Mar 8, 2011, 12:48 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #8 of 54 (10501 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mcr Warrior] Player sent off for tackling a streaker [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Absolutely ludicrous! No matter if the referee might be technically right under whatever law of the game, whatever happened to good old common sense. But i'm sure he pleased the assessor in the stand ,who would have marked him by the rulebook.

When referees do things like this any 'Respect' campaigns are doomed to failure, as 'respect' has to be eanred, it's not yours by right.

Grounds visited: 629
Last new ground: Guru Nanak FC; Guru Nanak sports ground, Gravesend, Kent.(Kent County League Division One East)
Last game: Sunday 18th May. Millwall Lionesses 2, Oxford United Women 0. (FA Women's Super League 2)
Football matches watched this season: 117
2013/14-New English grounds:17; & foreign: 8

Isaac

Mar 8, 2011, 1:00 PM

Post #9 of 54 (10485 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Player sent off for tackling a streaker [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I do think assesors are very much a good thing but clearly this was (thankfully) an unusual occurence where common sense could have been used? It's not as though the player hit the streaker or anything.

And isn't this idiot being prosecuted? Compare this to the airplane gesture of the Crawley fan.

Several high profile blunders in last weeks Prem games will also have done little for ref's earning respect.

(This post was edited by Isaac on Mar 8, 2011, 1:53 PM)

rainjar
First Team Star

Mar 8, 2011, 1:38 PM

Post #10 of 54 (10443 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Several high profile blunders in last weeks Prem games will also have done little for ref's earning respect.

FIFA, UEFA and the IFAB should bear the brunt of the blame. The rules of any sport should be as simple as possible, applied simply, and keep up to date with changes in society. You're never going to get that with football while it is run by a bunch of clowns.

I don't know if Sepp Blatter not being re-elected as FIFA President would solve anything, but it would be a step in the right direction.

Football Insights

(This post was edited by rainjar on Mar 8, 2011, 1:40 PM)

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 8, 2011, 1:46 PM

Post #11 of 54 (10431 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Compare this to the airplane jesture of the Crawley fan.

A most apt misspelling!

Isaac

Mar 8, 2011, 2:17 PM

Post #12 of 54 (10395 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainjar] Player sent off for tackling a streaker [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well far be it from me to stick up for Blatter & Co but I don't see how they can be blamed for Mark Halsey's failure to red card Hutton when awarding Wolves a penalty or the failure of Phil Dowd to red card Carragher (at least) or how the ref at Arsenal v Sunderland and his assistant failed to spot a push by Bramble which should have lead to a red card and penalty and the goal that was wrongly flagged offside.

Now I appreciate that we all make mistakes but..........!

bakis
Youth Team Star

Mar 8, 2011, 4:08 PM

Team(s): Kidderminster Harriers

Post #13 of 54 (10322 views)
Shortcut

Perhaps the issue here is that the player didn't merely restrain the streaker but threw him to the ground in a manner that could have caused a serious injury. Even though the streaker is a trespasser and committing an indecency offence, that's still an assault. Best to leave it to the stewards, even though it looked as if it might have taken them quite a while to catch him.

garethwrexy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 8, 2011, 4:08 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #14 of 54 (10322 views)
Shortcut

talking of jamie carragher he was sent of a few years ago for throwing a coin back into the crowd, any other situations that people can remember were a player has been sent off for anltcation with a fan ?

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

Isaac

Mar 8, 2011, 5:37 PM

Post #15 of 54 (10256 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Player sent off for tackling a streaker [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I can recall reading about a player being sent off for kicking the ball into the crowd but I can't for the life of me remember the game.

aiwa
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 8, 2011, 8:39 PM

Team(s):

Post #16 of 54 (10170 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I can recall reading about a player being sent off for kicking the ball into the crowd but I can't for the life of me remember the game.

Gary Neville in 2005 - match report here

Having seen the Havant footage you can see why Mr Vickers got so frustrated. The home stewards weren't exactly making an effort to remove the spectator, were they?

rainworthgord
First Team Star

Mar 8, 2011, 9:13 PM

Post #17 of 54 (10156 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Player sent off for tackling a streaker [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Absolutely ludicrous! No matter if the referee might be technically right under whatever law of the game, whatever happened to good old common sense. But i'm sure he pleased the assessor in the stand ,who would have marked him by the rulebook.

When referees do things like this any 'Respect' campaigns are doomed to failure, as 'respect' has to be eanred, it's not yours by right.

I don't quite agree. Respect is or should be yours by right until you do or say something which renders you unworthy of respect. I do agree, though, that this idiotic decision was such an action which rendered this particular official so unworthy.

UKPunk

Mar 8, 2011, 10:01 PM

Post #18 of 54 (10135 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Well far be it from me to stick up for Blatter & Co but I don't see how they can be blamed for Mark Halsey's failure to red card Hutton when awarding Wolves a penalty or the failure of Phil Dowd to red card Carragher (at least) or how the ref at Arsenal v Sunderland and his assistant failed to spot a push by Bramble which should have lead to a red card and penalty and the goal that was wrongly flagged offside.

Now I appreciate that we all make mistakes but..........!

We'll only get away with things like that until we're not a champions league club any more. Tongue

London Harrier
First Team Star

Mar 8, 2011, 11:13 PM

Post #19 of 54 (10102 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

That happens every week in non league football Smile

Northern League Easter Hop 2014 map

rainjar
First Team Star

Mar 9, 2011, 3:22 AM

Post #20 of 54 (10053 views)
Shortcut

"[C]hanges in society" includes technology.

I was trying to keep a record of poor or controversial refereeing decisions at the top levels of football, but there are far too many.

Those who control the system and make the rules are ultimately responsible for the break down of law enforcement. Unfortunately, football at the top levels is corrupt to the core. By the term "corrupt", I include power-crazed officials who seek centre-stage.

After more recent events (including last night's Champions League game between Barcelona and Arsenal), it will be a long time before I watch the Premier League, the Champions League, La Liga, Serie A or international football on a regular basis again.

If more people took the same approach, you might begin to see some change.

Massimo Busacca, just another football official seeking centre stage.

For now, I settle for watching the Bundesliga, and organizing and playing generic indoor football.

As for English football, I'll continue to follow the Championship downwards to the National League System. Not that I won't read what's going on in the Premier League, just not as much as before, and I hardly ever watch the games on TV anymore, even when available live.

Football Insights

(This post was edited by rainjar on Mar 9, 2011, 4:13 AM)

Jamesie
Deleted

Mar 9, 2011, 3:32 AM

Team(s):

Post #21 of 54 (10050 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainjar] Player sent off for tackling a streaker [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
...it will be a long time before I watch the Premier League, the Champions League, La Liga, Serie A or international football on a regular basis again. If more people took the same approach, you might begin to see some change.

But realistically the number of people that would be needed to take the same approach to make the difference would be too far out of the reach of anyone's imagination. By that definition, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Just a note to anyone who is wondering, I am no longer a moderator of this forum due to current personal circumstances and work commitments. If you need help, contact leohoenig or Steve walker. Thank You.

rainjar
First Team Star

Mar 9, 2011, 3:33 AM

Post #22 of 54 (10048 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jamesie] Player sent off for tackling a streaker [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
...it will be a long time before I watch the Premier League, the Champions League, La Liga, Serie A or international football on a regular basis again. If more people took the same approach, you might begin to see some change.

But realistically the number of people that would be needed to take the same approach to make the difference would be too far out of the reach of anyone's imagination. By that definition, I wouldn't hold your breath.

That's what they said about Mubarak et al. Wink

But don't worry, I never hold my breath. Not for long anyway. Smile

In fact, my advice to anyone is "Don't forget to breathe". Sometimes, we get so caught up in complexities, we forget the basics.

Football Insights

(This post was edited by rainjar on Mar 9, 2011, 3:44 AM)

Isaac

Mar 9, 2011, 10:52 AM

Post #23 of 54 (9943 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aiwa] Player sent off for tackling a streaker [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Gary Neville in 2005 - match report here

Having seen the Havant footage you can see why Mr Vickers got so frustrated. The home stewards weren't exactly making an effort to remove the spectator, were they?

Yes I'd forgotten about that Gary Neville incident (such a popular figure on MerseysideTongue) but the incident I was refering too was in the lower leagues.

(This post was edited by Isaac on Mar 9, 2011, 11:35 AM)

cope1

Mar 9, 2011, 12:08 PM

Post #24 of 54 (9907 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

I don't agree with that - the whole point of Respect, in my view, is that people manage to retain their dignity and not shout and bitch at people when they make a wrong decision. We had a semi-final the other day where a guy was barred from playing for wearing a signet ring which he'd taped up. He's played for 30 years without anyone having a problem with it. The side had no subs so they played with 10, and lost 1-4. Now, putting aside arguments about whether or not the ref should've let him play, it is understandably frustrating for the team concerned but they played the game and wrote a letter describing the situation to the cup committee. Apparently the ref even congratulated them on their attitude and for just accepting his decision.

That is what Respect is all about.

I think refereeing decisions are a whole different ball game.

rainjar
First Team Star

Mar 9, 2011, 12:25 PM

Post #25 of 54 (9890 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Player sent off for tackling a streaker [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I don't agree with that - the whole point of Respect, in my view, is that people manage to retain their dignity and not shout and bitch at people when they make a wrong decision. We had a semi-final the other day where a guy was barred from playing for wearing a signet ring which he'd taped up. He's played for 30 years without anyone having a problem with it. The side had no subs so they played with 10, and lost 1-4. Now, putting aside arguments about whether or not the ref should've let him play, it is understandably frustrating for the team concerned but they played the game and wrote a letter describing the situation to the cup committee. Apparently the ref even congratulated them on their attitude and for just accepting his decision.

That is what Respect is all about.

I think refereeing decisions are a whole different ball game.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying referees are entitled to respect merely by reason of the position they hold.

By extension, are doctors, lawyers, judges, bankers, government leaders, company directors, football administrators etc entitled to respect by reason of the positions they hold?

Respect is earned.

Football Insights

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3