Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
Vauxhall Motors FC - the Southern based one.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

London Harrier
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 28, 2011, 11:32 PM

Post #1 of 26 (12487 views)
Shortcut
Vauxhall Motors FC - the Southern based one. Can't Post or Reply Privately

At the Hitchin game tonight, I picked up a copy of a Finchley v Vauxhall Motors programme from 1989. I assumed at first it would be an FA Cup or FA Trophy match, but on further inspection it was a Vauxhall League Div 2 North match. According to the club history, this Vauxhall Motors were formed in 1907, and played in the UCL and South Midlands League. Their participation in the Beds Premier Cup implies they hailed from Bedfordshire.

I can find no record of such a club on the internet (at least from my premilinary inspection) So who were they, where are they now, and were they ever anything to do with their namesake who play in the Conference North?

(This post was edited by London Harrier on Apr 28, 2011, 11:38 PM)

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 29, 2011, 12:12 AM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #2 of 26 (12462 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Vauxhall Motors FC - the Southern based one. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They were the football section of the Vauxhall Motors sports club in Luton. The address I've got, from a visit in 1987, is Park Street, Luton. Think their elevation to the Isthmian League coincided with the league's sponsorship to become the Vauxhall Opel League - a coincidence I'm sure.
They folded after 1990/91, seem to recall their pitch was replaced with an artificial surface and used for hockey.

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

ictoan
First Team Regular

Apr 29, 2011, 12:26 AM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 26 (12444 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Vauxhall Motors FC - the Southern based one. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

From memory also, the Works Social Club who owned the ground, had the artificial pitch laid against the wishes of the Football Club.
My memory of the visit was the planes flying almost over the ground as the took off and landed at the nearby airport.

There 'Ant no place like Sussex, until you goes above, 'Cause Sussex will be Sussex and Sussex wunt be druv.

The North begins at Gatwick.

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 29, 2011, 12:28 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #4 of 26 (12440 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Vauxhall Motors FC - the Southern based one. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

VAUXHALL MOTORS (LUTON) Formerly Luton Vauxhalls (SML 1923-1928, 1931-1938).
1974-75 Joined United Counties League United Counties League runner-up.
1979-80.Rejoined South Midlands League.
1984-85 South Midlands League runner-up.
1985-86 Joined Isthmian League Division Two North 1990-91 Isthmian League Division Two North runner-up Promoted to Division One, but left Isthmian League prior to start of 1991-92 season.
SEASON LEAGUE P W D L F A P POS.
1973-74 SPAR 34 19 8 7 71 29 46 4/18.
1974-75 UCL-P 36 24 5 7 74 37 53 2/19.
1975-76 UCL-P 38 15 10 13 61 55 40 10/20.
1976-77 UCL-P 38 5 10 23 32 71 20 20/20.
1980-81 S MID-P 34 17 8 9 54 39 42 4/18.
1983-84 S MID-P 28 9 5 14 29 41 23 12/15.
1984-85 S MID-P 30 18 6 6 46 24 42 2/16.
1985-86 ISTH-2N 38 11 10 17 58 62 43 16/20.
1986-87 ISTH-2N 42 15 10 17 61 57 55 13/22.
1987-88 ISTH-2N 42 16 17 9 56 42 65 8/22.
1988-89 ISTH-2N 42 15 9 18 53 57 54 14/22.
1989-90 ISTH-2N 42 14 13 15 55 54 55 11/22.
1990-91 ISTH-2N 42 24 10 8 82 50 82 2/22.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 127 / 107 / 20 / 5 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 07 / 12 / 2019 . Belgium top 5 tiers 0-0-0-(0-1-0)-(0-1-1-2) / Holland top 4 tiers - 0-0-0-(0-0) / Lux top 2 tiers 0 -2. England top 10 tiers - 0. Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on Apr 29, 2011, 12:34 AM)

forestman
Youth Team Star

Apr 29, 2011, 7:06 AM

Post #5 of 26 (12398 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Vauxhall Motors FC - the Southern based one. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That's all pretty much correct, except their promotion was not in any way related to Vauxhall-Opels sponsorship deal. A very nice friendly club and a really neat tidy a nice ground to visit situated in Park Street in Luton, about a mile from the M1 and 1/2 mile from the end of the runway at Luton Airport. Club folded after the guy who took over the running of the ground, a big hockey fan, replaced the pitch with an artificial surface for hockey.

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Apr 29, 2011, 8:22 AM

Post #6 of 26 (12369 views)
Shortcut
Re: [forestman] Vauxhall Motors FC - the Southern based one. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Recall seeing a midweek game there in approx 1989 and at the time the ground had a small seated stand and a bit of cover.

It was a bit of a surprise when they did not take their place in the Isthmian Premier as the year when they folded they had a more than decent team and had won promotion.

London Harrier
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 29, 2011, 8:43 AM

Post #7 of 26 (12355 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Vauxhall Motors FC - the Southern based one. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Recall seeing a midweek game there in approx 1989 and at the time the ground had a small seated stand and a bit of cover.

It was a bit of a surprise when they did not take their place in the Isthmian Premier as the year when they folded they had a more than decent team and had won promotion.

Only a minor point, but would they not have gone into Isthmian Div 1 rather than Premier League?

http://www.staff.city.ac.uk/...tball/nl/il9091.html

Thanks a lot for all the info on this guys - really interesting. It would have been amusing had they ever played their namesakes from Ellesmere in a cup match. I would have loved to hear James Alexander Gordon read that one read out on sports report at 5pm.

"FA Cup 1st round - Vauxhall Motors 1 Vauxhall Motors 1"

leohoenig
Administrator

Apr 29, 2011, 9:13 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #8 of 26 (12341 views)
Shortcut

On 20th December 1986, I saw Warrington Town win 2-1 at Vauxhall in the Cheshire Senior Cup
In the fifth round of the Vase that season, Warrington Town beat Vauxhall Motors 2-1 (in Warrington).
Possibly the only team to play both Vauxhall teams in the same season

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

jimmyjazz
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 29, 2011, 1:38 PM

Team(s):

Post #9 of 26 (12239 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Vauxhall Motors FC - the Southern based one. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The ground, artificial pitch and floodlights are all still in place and part of the Vauxhall Sports Complex on Park Street. I watched a Sunday League game (Peguform Icknield v Bushmead Rovers) on an outer pitch earlier this year just outside. The outer pitches are used by Luton District & South Beds side Christians In Sport and I think possibly one of the Luton Town Ladies teams play there also.

Richard Watts
Youth Team Star

Apr 29, 2011, 2:03 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet FC, Surrey CCC

Post #10 of 26 (12221 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Only a minor point, but would they not have gone into Isthmian Div 1 rather than Premier League?

Yes, that's correct. They were runners up to Stevenage Borough in the last season of the old Div 2 North (which merged with Div 2 South and split into Divisions 2 & 3 based on previous season's league positions). As Dulwich were in Division 1 at the time I was looking forward to visiting this new club for the first time, but they withdrew at quite a late stage in the summer for the aforementioned pitch related reasons, so Division 1 ran with only 21 clubs for season 1991/2; The Hamlet were promoted in third place behind Stevenage and Yeading.

ladderman

Apr 29, 2011, 5:22 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #11 of 26 (12137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Watts] Vauxhall Motors FC - the Southern based one. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

An entry for "what might have been": If VM had known earlier they were to lose their ground, they might have found somewhere to share or they'd have quit and saved Southwick (who had a respectable 47 points from 42 games) from relegation to Division Two South. Southwick, presumably, would have held onto their players and not finished second bottom of the new (de-regionalised) Division Two with a the record of 42 6 2 34 29 115 20 and then quit to return to the Sussex League.

London Harrier
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 4, 2013, 9:26 AM

Post #12 of 26 (11294 views)
Shortcut
Re: [forestman] Vauxhall Motors FC - the Southern based one. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
That's all pretty much correct, except their promotion was not in any way related to Vauxhall-Opels sponsorship deal. A very nice friendly club and a really neat tidy a nice ground to visit situated in Park Street in Luton, about a mile from the M1 and 1/2 mile from the end of the runway at Luton Airport. Club folded after the guy who took over the running of the ground, a big hockey fan, replaced the pitch with an artificial surface for hockey.

I'm writing an article for our matchday programme and just wondered if someone could clarify this point.

Did the club fold because the Isthmian League didn't allow articifical pitches? Or was there more to it than that?

Also, were they predominantly a works team, or did/could anyone play for them?

Ashtree RockBee
First Team Star

Oct 4, 2013, 11:36 AM

Team(s): Ashford Town (Middlesex), Bognor Regis Town, Brentford

Post #13 of 26 (11244 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
Did the club fold because the Isthmian League didn't allow articifical pitches?

I don't think that was the reason, because Feltham had a plastic pitch while in the Isthmian. There was one fabled day when virtually everything was snowed or frozen off in Southern England and over 500 watched Feltham play a league game on their artificial carpet which survived the weather. I understand Feltham's inability to provide terracing behind one or other goal was they reason they lost their league place.

(This post was edited by Ashtree RockBee on Oct 4, 2013, 11:36 AM)

ictoan
First Team Regular

Oct 4, 2013, 11:54 AM

Team(s):

Post #14 of 26 (11227 views)
Shortcut

I thought the circumstances of their demise was related to a dispute between the Football Club and the Social Club who owned the ground. The "arrival" of the Hockey Club may have been a factor in the dispute. Again I am working from memory so maybe senility it getting to me. The whole saga definitely was covered by one of the Non-League Magazines of the time.

There 'Ant no place like Sussex, until you goes above, 'Cause Sussex will be Sussex and Sussex wunt be druv.

The North begins at Gatwick.

London Harrier
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 4, 2013, 12:22 PM

Post #15 of 26 (11209 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ashtree RockBee] Vauxhall Motors FC - the Southern based one. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I don't think that was the reason, because Feltham had a plastic pitch while in the Isthmian. There was one fabled day when virtually everything was snowed or frozen off in Southern England and over 500 watched Feltham play a league game on their artificial carpet which survived the weather. I understand Feltham's inability to provide terracing behind one or other goal was they reason they lost their league place.

Where were Feltham demoted from and to? Isthmian Div 2 to Div 3?

sandhurstbee

Oct 4, 2013, 1:07 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #16 of 26 (11181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ashtree RockBee] Vauxhall Motors FC - the Southern based one. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Might have been at that One myself, remember going against Camberley, Club Official was following the linesman up and down sweeping the lines as the snow fell and covered them up again Shocked

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

Ashtree RockBee
First Team Star

Oct 4, 2013, 3:13 PM

Team(s): Ashford Town (Middlesex), Bognor Regis Town, Brentford

Post #17 of 26 (11089 views)
Shortcut

Feltham lost their place in the Isthmian League altogether and dropped to the Combined Counties League in 1995.

jrev61

Oct 4, 2013, 7:13 PM

Team(s): None

Post #18 of 26 (10987 views)
Shortcut

Bedfordshire University (Luton) play their home matches at the same venue, not sure if it is the same pitch or not.

jrev61

Chris1963

Oct 4, 2013, 10:08 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #19 of 26 (10901 views)
Shortcut

The ground still retains its small but attractive wooden stand, as can be seen on Google's aerial view. Anyone travelling to the airport by bus from London can get a good view of the ground, on the left hand side shortly before passing over the railway line.

ARL
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 4, 2013, 11:03 PM

Team(s): Tring Town 1987-2003, Leverstock Green 2003-

Post #20 of 26 (10883 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

I'm writing an article for our matchday programme and just wondered if someone could clarify this point.

Did the club fold because the Isthmian League didn't allow articifical pitches? Or was there more to it than that?

Also, were they predominantly a works team, or did/could anyone play for them?

To confound the conspiracy theorists even more, not only did their elevation to the Isthmian League coincide with the start of the Vauxhall sponsorship, but their demise coincided with the end of it.

They weren't a works team - they had a decent side with players that were well known from other Beds clubs. The manager that took them to 2nd place was John Wortley, who went on to manage Tring Town from 92-94, and brought a few of the successful Motors team with him.

ladderman

Oct 5, 2013, 9:28 AM

Post #21 of 26 (10801 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ARL] Vauxhall Motors FC - the Southern based one. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

To confound the conspiracy theorists even more, not only did
their elevation to the Isthmian League coincide with the start of the Vauxhall
sponsorship, but their demise coincided with the end of it

I don't think you had to be much of a conspiracy theorist to notice the coincidence in dates. It was all a bit blatant.

Haywain
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 5, 2013, 10:55 AM

Team(s): Luton Town

Post #22 of 26 (10761 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Vauxhall Motors FC - the Southern based one. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm not sure that it was a conspiracy that got them into the Isthmian League. They finished 2nd in the South Midlands League the previous season, which looks like a promotion position. It's also worth bearing in mind that Vauxhall did a lot of sports based sponsorship around that time. As I recall the story in the local press at the time, they were unable to continue as the artificial surface wouldn't be accepted by the leagues.

The football club was a section of the works sports & social club so it was as close to being a works team as many others with similar associations. Whether membership of the sports club was required by players, I couldn't say.

Haywain - following the Hatters through thin and thin.

Richard Rundle

Oct 5, 2013, 11:09 AM

Post #23 of 26 (10752 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Haywain] Vauxhall Motors FC - the Southern based one. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And Isthmian League Division Two North wasn't full

ladderman

Oct 5, 2013, 11:37 AM

Post #24 of 26 (10739 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Haywain] Vauxhall Motors FC - the Southern based one. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

But they’d never have kicked them out if the sponsorship had continued.

Richard Rundle

Oct 5, 2013, 11:48 AM

Post #25 of 26 (10734 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Vauxhall Motors FC - the Southern based one. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
But they’d never have kicked them out if the sponsorship had continued.

But they weren't kicked out, they resigned

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3