First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

BTFC2802
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 13, 2007, 8:12 AM

Team(s): Bury Town / Team Bury / AFC Bournemouth / MFT

Post #1 of 42 (8419 views)
Shortcut
Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks Can't Post or Reply Privately

Are there any 'groundhopper' types for these sports?

I have visited a number of both around the country and was just wondering if there are any other people who follow the three sports (Cricket, Football & Speedway).

I have seen that a number follow Rugby but have seen little mentioned about Cricket and Speedway.

2011/12 Season

Games: 1

Grounds: 1

New grounds visited this season: 0

In the madness of my 3am's, I'm lost without a guide.

heathen
Junior Team Star

Jun 13, 2007, 9:06 PM

Team(s): Sheff Wed, Halesowen Town

Post #2 of 42 (8380 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HCFC2802] Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes there are certainly speedway groundhoppers - its like groundhopping for beginners as there's only about 30-odd tracks in the country to visit!
The downside is the number of times you travel and find a meeting rained off!!

BTFC2802
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 13, 2007, 10:48 PM

Post #3 of 42 (8371 views)
Shortcut
Re: [heathen] Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ah yes the weather!! All part of the fun i guess.

Of course there are many clubs starting up and in some cases sadly going out of business (Trelawny & Exeter recently) so the list can grow over a period of time. Checking my records I have been to 34 as of today and I am looking to reach 41 by the end of the season

2011/12 Season

heathen
Junior Team Star

Jun 14, 2007, 5:56 PM

Post #4 of 42 (8351 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HCFC2802] Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I only watch speedwa a couple of times a year now, although I have chalked up another new track already with two visits to Birmingham's new Perry Barr this season. That's probably my quota used up for a while! In fact, I've done three meetings already after going to Wolverhampton when Bruce Penhall was over for the Sam Ermolenko Farewell.

BTFC2802
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 14, 2007, 9:34 PM

Post #5 of 42 (8340 views)
Shortcut
Re: [heathen] Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Taking a wild guess here i'd say you were a Cradley Heath follower.

I see rumours are abound again about a possible new site for the club, fingers crossed that one of the great speedway teams of my youth return to the fold

2011/12 Season

heathen
Junior Team Star

Jun 14, 2007, 9:53 PM

Post #6 of 42 (8338 views)
Shortcut

Yes, very much a Cradley fan. Do the club website. Would be great if Dudley Council could find a new home for the Heathens and Dudley Town FC.

We do have a planning application being prepared now though for a new site. Fingers crossed!

BTFC2802
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 15, 2007, 11:11 AM

Post #7 of 42 (8322 views)
Shortcut

Good luck Steve,

Would be great to see Cradley Heath, Exeter, Hull and many others return to the sport.

My local team is Mildenhall, we always seem to survive from one season to the next just!! Guess that is just the way in speedway apart for the lucky few

2011/12 Season

peter9
Youth Team Regular

Jun 15, 2007, 6:40 PM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 42 (8312 views)
Shortcut

The beauty about being a "Speedway" hopper is that if you are also into football+rugby(league) then the venues many times are the same...or at least were at one time.Some old and recent include
Halifax Dukes/Halifax Town /later also Halifax RL....Ellesmere Port Gunners/Ellesmere Port Town (both gone)....Bradford Barons/Dukes / Bradford Bulls..... Sheffield Tigers/ Sheffield Eagles(pre Don Valley)Poole....Newport....Berwick.... Hull...even the "old" Belle Vue Aces which onced also housed Belle Vue Rangers RL and I believe during the War... Man. City FC ?

Cricket..a bit harder ...next door Headingley, once Bradford Park Ave, once Northampton Town and of course the three sided Bramhall Lane. The only one I can think of now is Pickering Town but I'm sure there must be many at level 7 and upwards.

BTFC2802
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 15, 2007, 7:50 PM

Post #9 of 42 (8305 views)
Shortcut
Re: [peter9] Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My favourite Peter is The Saffrons, Eastbourne, once a regular outground for Sussex CCC and of course home for Eastbourne Town. It has been suggested if a few difficulties can be ironed out Sussex CCC may return in the not so distant future.

The entrance/turnstiles to the Saffrons is a wonderful sight and rightly listed second in a Top Ten Turnstiles article in the latest Groundtastic.

I visited Berwick last season and watching the bikes fly around the track it was hard to envisage a football match taking place in the centre greenLaugh Sadly my only visit to watch Berwick Rangers was many years ago (33 - 34?) when they lost in a pre season friendly to Carlisle with Bobby Owen scoring the only goal in the last minute by which time only a handful of us remained.

2011/12 Season

(This post was edited by HCFC2802 on Jun 15, 2007, 7:52 PM)

kentexile
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 15, 2007, 10:08 PM

Team(s): Gillingham, The Arsenal, Celtic

Post #10 of 42 (8296 views)
Shortcut

I have never visited a Speedway contest, but i've often been tempted.

As for Cricket, well I am certainly a Ground-hopper. I generally watch the Lancashire League and pick up grounds from other local leagues when the Lancs League isn't playing. I also try to pick up new grounds watching Lancs 2nds, as they always vary their venues used. As well as sometimes catching a Cheshire or Cumberland match in the Minor Counties.

"There's 62 minutes on the clock, you are 2-0 down, it's raining and you're playing Bolton away-it doesn't get much worse than that"

Robin van Persie 29/03/08

heathen
Junior Team Star

Jun 16, 2007, 6:42 PM

Post #11 of 42 (8281 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kentexile] Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Lots of grounds you mention which shared football and speedway are now defunct as speedway tracks. The two uses ae not very compatable and it is rare nowadays for Speedway grounds to be shared with anything other than greyhounds & stock cars.

alfie
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 18, 2007, 9:46 AM

Team(s): Ossett Albion, Linton Granta, Cambridge United, Dunfermline Athletic

Post #12 of 42 (8241 views)
Shortcut

Cowdenbeath ground is a bit of an oddity has it is also used for Bangor/stock car racing

Alfie

(This post was edited by alfie on Jun 18, 2007, 9:46 AM)

BTFC2802
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 18, 2007, 1:05 PM

Post #13 of 42 (8228 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alfie] Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cowdenbeath also had a Speedway team at Central Park in the mid 60's.

They ran 8 Open Meetings in 1965, and the following year it was used as a training track.

I dont believe though that Speedway has been held there since?

2011/12 Season

coops
First Team Sub

Jun 20, 2007, 1:33 AM

Team(s): Tamworth

Post #14 of 42 (8172 views)
Shortcut
Re: [peter9] Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Cricket..a bit harder ...next door Headingley, once Bradford Park Ave, once Northampton Town and of course the three sided Bramhall Lane. The only one I can think of now is Pickering Town but I'm sure there must be many at level 7 and upwards.

Stourbridge and Lye Town are two that spring immediately to mind.

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 30, 2007, 6:51 PM

Team(s):

Post #15 of 42 (7631 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coops] Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes there are quite a few cricket hoppers. There are 18 first class counties and there were 2 first class universities but now it is 6 "UCCE's" but not all are first class. The difference is that counties do not always play home matches at their main ground and take matches to "outgrounds" in the county. This is happening less and less as costs dictate staying in one place. There are now abouty 40 first class grounds in use whereas a decade ago it was twice that. Hampshire used to play at Southampton, Portsmouth, Basingstoke & Bournemouth but since building the new ground at West End have only played there. However as a hopper there are then the second team matches which take place at smaller venues as well as the Minor Counties fixtures which are normally spread around the better club grounds. Depending on what criteria you set yourself for "counting" a ground means you could easily see two a day if you counted a session of play (usually two hours) as part of match watched.

BTFC2802
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 3, 2007, 9:35 AM

Post #16 of 42 (7601 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I guess you could even from Minor Counties / 2nd XI's down to League Cricket which in effect is like Step 6/7 Football, so there could literally be 100's of grounds to visit.

I tend to stick to 1st Class / UCCE / Minor Counties and to date have a rather meagre total of 24.

My criteria John is based on a session of play which is usually about 2 hours, long enough to take in the ground you are visiting.

Without a shadow of a doubt my favourite ground has to be Arundel on a sunny day

2011/12 Season

John Treleven

Jul 3, 2007, 9:45 AM

Team(s):

Post #17 of 42 (7599 views)
Shortcut

My criteria is the same and agree with you about Arundel.
Worcester, Tunbridge Wells, Durham Racecourse (University Ground), Canterbury, Chesterfield,
Cheltenham, Southgate, Bath and The Parks (Oxford) are amogst others I would recommend.
A nice sunny day always helps give a good impression !

BTFC2802
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 3, 2007, 10:05 AM

Post #18 of 42 (7597 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Would definately agree about a sunny day, two attempts to get to Worcester's New Road have been curtailed by the weather, may try and mix cricket and football in Worcester during August / September.

Tunbridge Wells, Cheltenham and Southgate are three of my other favourites, and would add Horsham and Oakham School (always seems to be a run feast there), and Eastbourne (hopefully Sussex will return there shortly) to that list.

2011/12 Season

John Treleven

Jul 3, 2007, 10:12 AM

Team(s):

Post #19 of 42 (7595 views)
Shortcut

Worcester often flooded in March/April has been badly hit by recent rains. Junior festival there last week was cancelled. Sunny does affect an impression. I was at both Horsham & Oakham on cold days but agree on their potential. Eastbourne I have visited but not seen a match at as it was off the first class list before I started cricket hopping. Eastbourne Town now at level 4 share the ground on the far side as you no doubt know. I think you can also see Evesham at Worcester City this season as groundsharing.

John Treleven

May 21, 2008, 12:04 PM

Team(s):

Post #20 of 42 (7053 views)
Shortcut

Just picked off Kidderminster and seen Hampshire at Taunton, Worcester & Cardiff

So 60 grounds now seen with first class matches being played on them, 34 with Hampshire and 17 of 18 county grounds with Hampshire

Hard to find new ones now, will miss Hastings May 26 & Glasgow May 28 as in Jersey for World Cup Division 5 May 23-31 (all 6 local grounds being used)

Off to Liverpool in mid September for ground 61

ziggerzag
Youth Team Star

May 21, 2008, 9:11 PM

Team(s): Barrow AFC

Post #21 of 42 (6981 views)
Shortcut

Don't forget Barrow Bombers and Barrow AFC at Holker Street.

I am fed up with speedway and haven't been to a meeting for a few years now. The rules are too stupid to take it seriously.

In Reply To
The beauty about being a "Speedway" hopper is that if you are also into football+rugby(league) then the venues many times are the same...or at least were at one time.Some old and recent include
Halifax Dukes/Halifax Town /later also Halifax RL....Ellesmere Port Gunners/Ellesmere Port Town (both gone)....Bradford Barons/Dukes / Bradford Bulls..... Sheffield Tigers/ Sheffield Eagles(pre Don Valley)Poole....Newport....Berwick.... Hull...even the "old" Belle Vue Aces which onced also housed Belle Vue Rangers RL and I believe during the War... Man. City FC ?

I paid 1 for a Kit-Kat Chunky at Oxford Utd

Red Robbo
First Team Star

May 22, 2008, 12:47 PM

Team(s): Local football in Herts and Beds

Post #22 of 42 (6930 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ziggerzag] Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just been clearing the loft up in an attempt to get all my Speedway programmes for meetings I've been to in one place. It was quite a task but brought back a shed load of memories when the sport was perhaps better than it is now. Anyway a quick count up revealed I'd visited around 45 tracks up and down the country but only 22 of them are still running. So I still need to visit, if I can find the time of course, at their current venues, Isle of wight, Somerset, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Redcar, Belle Vue, Sittingbourne and Plymouth. There is also Cardiff for a Grand Prix meeting but I always seem to be on holiday for that one. In reality though there are to many things going on nearer to home and the missus would divorce me if I said I was going to go on the Rye House 3 day trip in June!

I didn't make it to the gym today. That makes five years in a row.

Games seen in 2016/17: 54
Goals : 214
Goal less draws: 0

John Treleven

May 22, 2008, 6:57 PM

Team(s):

Post #23 of 42 (6893 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Red Robbo] Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As you probably know the new Plymouth venue (at end of A38 coming in to Plymouth) is different to Pennycross which ran to about 1972
but you can still locate the site if interested

hunter
Youth Team Sub

May 24, 2008, 10:46 AM

Team(s): Gresley FC (ex Rovers), Everton, CA Huracan (Buenos Aires), Coventry Bees.

Post #24 of 42 (6773 views)
Shortcut

As already mentioned Speedway meetings are so vulnerable to the whether. I went camping near to St Austell (about 250miles from home) to see meetings at Exeter and Trelawney (near St Austell). Drove 80 odd miles to Exeter and the heavens opened, drove 80 miles back to camp. Next day thrashed it down again and thought Trelawney would be off but amazingly the whether cleared about 200 yards from the track!

It would be great if more midlands tracks were set up; Long Eaton, Leicester, Cradley, demand is there as proved by new set-ups at places like Birmingham and Scunthorpe.

Sheffield is awsome; would be great to see Cov ride there.

Red Robbo
First Team Star

May 25, 2008, 11:40 AM

Team(s): Local football in Herts and Beds

Post #25 of 42 (6738 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sheffield was even better when they allowed you to stand on the back straight terracing that I believe they closed down to the public several years ago. I seem to remember a small training track was situated behind this terracing I wonder if that is still there.

On the subject of midland tracks I enjoyed visiting Cradley, Wolves, Coventry,Birmingham at Perry Bar and at the Wheels Complex but my particular favourite was Leicester. Long Eaton is now derelict but you can still see the shape of the track as you pass on the train at least I thought that was where it was when I passed.

Perhaps Milton Keynes should give it another go at Conference level. The success at the football and ice hockey should follow as the city grows even larger.

I didn't make it to the gym today. That makes five years in a row.

Games seen in 2016/17: 54
Goals : 214
Goal less draws: 0

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3