Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
Bizarre Edgware Town website

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Dylan's Dad
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 23, 2011, 9:35 PM

Team(s): Gillingham

Post #1 of 28 (6498 views)
Shortcut
Bizarre Edgware Town website Can't Post or Reply Privately

Found this today: http://edgwaretownfc.webs.com/ Personally I thought that Edgware Town had folded about three years ago, I was a little surprised to read the match reports from last season, and especially surprised to find they'd finished 6th in the Zameretto (sic) League and have an eight-year plan to get into the Football League........

La la la
La la la
Life is football
-- Robb Johnson

Mishi
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 23, 2011, 9:41 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #2 of 28 (6483 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dylan's Dad] Bizarre Edgware Town website [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

http://edgwaretownfc.webs.com/

Bizarre, to say the least?

Weird? Yes!

Funny? Yes!

Someone with far too much time on their hands? Without a doubt!

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

Beano
Reserve Team Star

Jun 23, 2011, 11:22 PM

Team(s): Ashford Town (Middlesex), Prescot Cables

Post #3 of 28 (6374 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Bizarre Edgware Town website [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's got to be someone who has (badly) edited Football Manager in order to render them playable and got WAY too into it...

I mean, not only did Chamal Fenelon leave Ashford for Worthing at the beginning of last season, he's a forward, not a keeper!

Edit: This gets weirder... Not only does this fictional Edgware "play" at Harrow Borough, but it's more expensive to buy a season ticket in this parallel universe than it is to pay on the day!

Really, really, really strange...

(This post was edited by Jamesie on Jul 8, 2011, 12:00 AM)

rainjar
First Team Star

Jun 24, 2011, 8:06 AM

Post #4 of 28 (6279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Beano] Bizarre Edgware Town website [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They even have an Academy Trials page:

Edgware Town Academy Trials for 8-11 years old

We are holding trials for 8-11 year olds. To apply for a trial please read the other box. All Trial apilications must be sent via email. If you are accepted for a trial we will give you more information and send you a letter. We will be holding a number of trials for different age groups and we will update the trial page in the near future. On the day of the Trial players will be taken through a regular 2 hour training session and then they will be put into an 11v11 game depending on the age group. Players who are good enough will be placed into our Academy and players that show good potential but are not quite there yet will be placed into our Academy B Team. We take pride in our youth development and will only accept the best standard of players with a good attitude and hard work ethic.

FRIDAY 8 AUGUST
Trial application for 8-16 year olds

Applications for Edgware Town F.C Academy must be sent to [email protected] and you must include the following information:

Forename Name:

Surname:

Date of Birth:

Position:

Second position:

Height:

Weight:

Current Club:

Previous clubs:

Current school:

Current school year:

Full address:

Contact phone number:

Email address

Football Insights

forestman
Youth Team Star

Jun 24, 2011, 8:38 AM

Post #5 of 28 (6247 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainjar] Bizarre Edgware Town website [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They even have the results from the first 2 pre-season friendlies on the 4th and 9th of JULY, wish i could get match results that early Id win the pools every week, not to mention how much i could win laying bets on results of matches.

cool_hand_luke
Youth Team Sub

Jun 24, 2011, 11:12 AM

Post #6 of 28 (6147 views)
Shortcut
Re: [forestman] Bizarre Edgware Town website [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

How bizarre?

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 24, 2011, 12:46 PM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #7 of 28 (6071 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Beano] Bizarre Edgware Town website [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There are way's to hack both CM & FM to get clubs playable and if a club gets picked to replace those relegated from the conference they automatically become playable. For the far lesser known clubs and players the game randomizes players positions, attributes, and overall potential (within reason that is) when initializing the game, but yes somebody is taking it far too seriously.

Not to self; Check the CM fora for who's asking about a hack like this.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

hawker
Junior Team Sub

Jun 24, 2011, 12:53 PM

Post #8 of 28 (6054 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] Bizarre Edgware Town website [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

"Someone" used to do his blog on Egdware and he was pretty passionate about the club/team etc.

Having rarely come across Edgware fans online I'd be surpised if this wasn't him.

(This post was edited by Jamesie on Jul 5, 2011, 8:58 AM)

hemelite
First Team Regular

Jun 24, 2011, 12:57 PM

Team(s): Hemel Hempstead Town, West Ham United, Los Angeles Angels & USC

Post #9 of 28 (6046 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hawker] Bizarre Edgware Town website [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

How the hell could they win 4-0 at Hemel Hampstead Town Sly they couldn't even do that when they existed

RussWWFC
First Team Star

Jun 24, 2011, 3:24 PM

Team(s): Wycombe Wanderers

Post #10 of 28 (5930 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hemelite] Bizarre Edgware Town website [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You can play as ANY team in Football Manager with an add on called SuperBladesMan. I know as I have taken both Rossendale United and Billingham Town to the Football League :)

And looking at that site, Dave Beasant reserve team manager and Richard Keys is Physio!

Visit my Blog - The Wycombe Wanderer
Follow me on Twitter @RussWWFC

(This post was edited by RussWWFC on Jun 24, 2011, 3:30 PM)

Beano
Reserve Team Star

Jun 24, 2011, 3:30 PM

Post #11 of 28 (5922 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] Bizarre Edgware Town website [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes, but if a club's squad is already in the database (and Ashford's was - I did the research for FM2011), it shouldn't randomise it.

Whatever. The site is just plain odd, but if it keeps its originator busy then there's no harm in it.

rainjar
First Team Star

Jun 25, 2011, 2:33 AM

Post #12 of 28 (5679 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Whatever. The site is just plain odd, but if it keeps its originator busy then there's no harm in it.

Obtaining personal details of 8 to 11 year olds under the pretext of 'Academy Trials' sounds dodgy.

Football Insights

garethwrexy

Jun 25, 2011, 9:34 AM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #13 of 28 (5600 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainjar] Bizarre Edgware Town website [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

in there last season in the ryman, they were getting crowds of around 40 for a saturday home game ! hope there better supported this time round.

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

Beano
Reserve Team Star

Jun 25, 2011, 9:48 AM

Post #14 of 28 (5592 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Obtaining personal details of 8 to 11 year olds under the pretext of 'Academy Trials' sounds dodgy.

I don't disagree with you and I did refer it to a colleague in that respect. The fact is, no club in the real world would be playing 11-a-side at that stage and certainly not putting young people through two hour training sessions! I would hope most parents would be able to spot that this is fictional.

westonw0lf
Junior Team Star

Jun 25, 2011, 12:51 PM

Team(s): Wolves,Weston-super-Mare

Post #15 of 28 (5520 views)
Shortcut

Sounds extremely dodgy to me and hopefully not how it sounds. There are some strange people around nowadays and I really hope that this isnt a posting by someone of dubious motives ?

Beano
Reserve Team Star

Jun 25, 2011, 1:21 PM

Post #16 of 28 (5509 views)
Shortcut
Re: [westonw0lf] Bizarre Edgware Town website [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Having found a page where this (fictional) club claims to have a large number of coaches that have been through the CRB process, I have now contacted the hosting company and asked them to take the site down.

VP

Jun 25, 2011, 1:41 PM

Post #17 of 28 (5503 views)
Shortcut

You might want to contact the FA as well.
As you know, many clubs work hard to get Charter Standard which includes CRB checks. This sort of thing undermines the whole system and is potentially damaging.
I can't work out if this site is a bit of a laugh or something more sinister. I see someone has replied to a post on there who obviously doesn't know the football club aren't going any more so, if you're not in the know, it shows people can be taken in as it looks legitimate.

Beano
Reserve Team Star

Jun 25, 2011, 1:55 PM

Post #18 of 28 (5491 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Bizarre Edgware Town website [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm sure The FA would want us to deal with this locally in the first instance, which is why I spoke to our Welfare Officer. Neither of us had spotted the page that referenced the CRB process, but now I have, a line's been crossed.

I'm at Wembley on Monday - if Webs are no help, I'll speak to the regional manager.

Minstrite
Youth Team Regular

Jun 26, 2011, 11:45 AM

Team(s): Warminster Town

Post #19 of 28 (5335 views)
Shortcut

A recent case at Falmouth Town last season springs to mind!

philglossop
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 26, 2011, 7:26 PM

Team(s): Saltash United

Post #20 of 28 (5217 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Minstrite] Bizarre Edgware Town website [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Before we start name calling other clubs- you need to quote proper facts and links. Personally I can think of no claim to the Cornish club and given I look on the far locally informative Cornish Soccer Website forum daily, theres been no mention of FTFC in this respect.

Yes the Edgware Town site is strange- but just to start name dropping with no evidence to back up looks more odd.

paignton-nick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 27, 2011, 10:35 AM

Team(s): Stevenage FC & Buckland Athletic

Post #21 of 28 (5066 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Minstrite] Bizarre Edgware Town website [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

A totally different scenario. The case in Cornwall involved one individiual in his private abode and wasn't using a club as a smoke screen.

Stevenage FC - Hertfordshire's finest!
Buckland Athletic- Pride of South Devon!

Beano
Reserve Team Star

Jun 29, 2011, 7:33 AM

Post #22 of 28 (4801 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paignton-nick] Bizarre Edgware Town website [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Returning to the question of this website, I can confirm that the hosts took the site down yesterday afternoon following an official request from the Middlesex County FA for them to do so. This request was made for a number of reasons, not least that the site owner(s) appeared to be attempting to collect the personal details of children and were falsely claiming to be running a club staffed by CRB-checked coaches. Webs.com (the hosts) were very helpful after we first contacted them on Saturday morning and I'm delighted that this matter has been brought to such a swift conclusion.

As VP rightly pointed out, clubs across the country have worked incredibly hard to achieve The FA Charter Standard, one of the requirements of which is that every coach hold a valid CRB certificate. Almost 70% of youth clubs in Middlesex currently hold the Charter Standard and the safeguards those clubs have implemented are vital in maintaining a safe environment for everyone involved in the game. As a body, we will strive to eliminate any effort to subvert those safeguards.

With this in mind, I'd like to thank Dylan's Dad for starting this thread, as I don't believe we would have been aware of the site otherwise. We have enough to do without trying to "police" the Internet, but there are instances, such as this one, where we have to get involved.

Edgwarefan
Youth Team Regular

Jul 4, 2011, 12:35 PM

Post #23 of 28 (4506 views)
Shortcut

I would just like to say thank you to ''Beano'' and other members of this forum for alerting the web hosting site of this situation and thank them for helping to have the offending website removed.

I have posted this on my Edgware Town FC Blog

Fake Edgware Town FC Website
A website purporting to be that of Edgware Town FC appeared online recently and came to my attention when it was listed on the club’s wikipedia page as an official link.

Having viewed the website, it quickly became apparent that this was a fictional piece of work, as Edgware Town FC have not kicked a ball since the end of the 2007/08 season.

This factitious website claimed that Edgware Town were playing in the Zamaretto league, and gave the impression that the club were alive and well with the same playing staff that finished the clubs final campaign three seasons ago.

I immediately removed the link from wikipeida and thought nothing more than someone was either playing a hoax or was taking playing ‘’Championship Manager’’ to a different level !!!!

However, it appears the story caught the eye of the press, with the BBC ‘’Non League Show’ giving it air time on last week's show, and interviewing ex Edgware Town manager Steve Newing to get his view on the subject !!!

It’s also come to light that a very serious situation could have arisen, with the posting of ‘’Trials for 8-11 year olds for the ‘’Edgware Town Academy’’whiich were posted on this site asking for applicants to provide their details.

Thankfully, this matter was reported to the web hosting company by alert members of a Non League fourm and the offending site has now been removed.

My name is being mentioned on various forums as possibly being behind this website, and in some respects due to my past history with Edgware Town I can understand why, but I just wish to make it clear that this is NOT something that I was behind.and that in no way shape or form did I have anything whatsoever to do with this website.

Sadly as far as I’m aware Edgware Town FC continue to remain dormant and the White Lion Ground remains dilapidated and vandalised with no sign of any building work.

http://edgwaretown.b...fc-website.html

(This post was edited by Edgwarefan on Jul 4, 2011, 12:39 PM)

Beano
Reserve Team Star

Jul 4, 2011, 12:54 PM

Post #24 of 28 (4479 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Edgwarefan] Bizarre Edgware Town website [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for clearing that up, Gavin.

I am very pleased that this matter was brought to an end in a fairly rapid fashion. The Middlesex County FA will be contacting members this week to appraise them of the case and to advise them to report any other "rogue" websites they encounter, so that they can be investigated.

Edgwarefan
Youth Team Regular

Jul 4, 2011, 1:11 PM

Post #25 of 28 (4459 views)
Shortcut

That's good to know, as I said, I first became aware of the website when viewing the Edgware Town Wikipedia page, which I used to update. I was surprised to find that the site had been edited to inclued fictional information, I am guessing this was the same person behind this 'Edgware Town' website, as the link had been provided.

When I first viewed the website I was to say the least, suprised and somewhat confused, the site looked proffesional and included match results and details of games and players etc, though it did mention that several Edgware players had broken into the full England Squad LOL which makes me think in hindsight it is somone taking 'championship manager' to extremes.

You were 100% correct to report this website to the hosting managment and the Middx FA with regards to what could have been a very serious matter.

Please let me know any feedback you receive with regard to this subject and who was behind it, hopefully the web hosting site can track down the person behind this hoax.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3