First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

willesden
Reserve Team Sub

Nov 7, 2011, 2:54 AM

Team(s): Scarborough Athletic, Hull City & Hendon + NW London Non League

Post #1 of 93 (17419 views)
Shortcut
Local Ales at Grounds Can't Post or Reply Privately

As someone who believes in spending a few quid in the home clubs clubhouse rather than a pub, I have been encouraged this season to find more clubs stocking real ale, if not on tap, then in bottles.

Even better, Windsor the other Monday and then Marlow on Saturday sold beers from their local brewery. More and more independent brewers are now springing up so I think it would be excellent if clubs made the effort to stock their local produce. It certainly ticks off two boxes at the same time for me on my travels and can mean that even a poor game can be salvaged by the trying of a new beer.

Surely it's easier to stock bottles than sell and upkeep (or not on may occasions) pumps if there isn't the demand?

Which clubs do you know who stock local independent beers, and can anyone involved at a club suggest that their club give it a go?

Cheers

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 7, 2011, 3:21 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #2 of 93 (17416 views)
Shortcut
Re: [willesden] Local Ales at Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Which clubs do you know who stock local independent beers, and can anyone involved at a club suggest that their club give it a go?

Cheers

Flackwell Heath had a couple of barrels of local Rebellion ales behind the bar last season. Congleton used to have at least one of the local Beartown Brewery ales in their clubhouse, not sure if they still do.

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Nov 7, 2011, 4:10 AM)

VP
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 7, 2011, 10:27 AM

Post #3 of 93 (17383 views)
Shortcut
Re: [willesden] Local Ales at Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Camberley sometimes have beer from Ascot Ales on. Despite the name they're based in Camberley.
They've even brewed a special beer just for us called 'Promotion Ale'. (Don't laugh).

We're having our second hand pump installed this week.

Richard Watts
Youth Team Star

Nov 7, 2011, 11:35 AM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet FC, Surrey CCC

Post #4 of 93 (17371 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Local Ales at Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's not quite as local as it could be, but Dulwich Hamlet stock a selection of bottled beers from Brentwood Brewery: Brentwood Gold, Hope & Glory and Chocolate Orange. There's usually a more mainstream ale on handpump such as Fuller's London Pride or Adnams Broadside.

Leatherhead have a nice clubhouse and sometimes they've had barrels of Westerham ale on gravity on the back of the bar, as well as a selection of around half a dozen different bottled ales, although nothing especially unusual as far as I recall.

Billybadknees
Reserve Team Sub

Nov 7, 2011, 1:24 PM

Team(s): Sheffield FC, Sheffield Wednesday, Staveley MWFC

Post #5 of 93 (17343 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Watts] Local Ales at Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Howard Town bottles on sale at Glossop North End. No hand pumps though.

Sig-lite!

Ashtree RockBee
First Team Star

Nov 7, 2011, 1:36 PM

Team(s): Ashford Town (Middlesex), Bognor Regis Town, Brentford

Post #6 of 93 (17336 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Billybadknees] Local Ales at Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Fairly recently, Ashford Town (Middlesex) had ale from the Twickenham Brewery, seven or eight miles down the road. It was a decent drop, hopefully it'll be back soon.

The thing that really annoys me is when you go to a ground in the vicinity of a well known real ale but discover they only serve generic rubbish at the clubhouse, the worst example I've found being St. Austell - in the shadow of the marvellous brewery, but the football club was tied to Carlsberg. From one extreme to another.

richiejenn
First Team Star

Nov 7, 2011, 1:54 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 93 (17329 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ashtree RockBee] Local Ales at Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Shortwood United had a local ale on tap last Saturday. Forgot to write it down though. There were 4 ales on pump in total + a local cider. Just a shame the ground is on top of a steep hill in Nailsworth.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 7, 2011, 10:14 PM

Post #8 of 93 (17275 views)
Shortcut
Re: [richiejenn] Local Ales at Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tadcaster Albion have John Smiths on - does that count ?

Penn & Tylers Green had a barrel of Rebellion IPA on the back of the bar a couple of weeks ago. In excellent condition it was too Cool

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 7, 2011, 11:48 PM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #9 of 93 (17255 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Local Ales at Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Stocksbridge PS have Bradfield Brown Cow on handpump. Matlock Town also have a handpump and it is a relatively local one, if a little uninspiring (Marstons Pedigree). Marine haven't gone in for a local beer - it's Greene King IPA - the same at Bitton. Stafford Rangers had Crown Revd James earlier this season.

Bamber Bridge have real ales, but I don't recall what they were. I know Guiseley have real ales too, but they haven't had it open when we've played there. Mickleover do too, but I don't know what it is. Sheffield's 'clubhouse' is the adjacent Coach & Horses, which has 5 or 6 Thornbridge beers.Cool

Rochdale Town do have a local beer, Lees Bitter, on handpump. I think Squires Gate had a local beer in bottles. Norton United have a couple of independent handpumps, but they're not local - the same at Pickering Town as I recall. Norton & Stockton Ancients had Black Sheep and Theakstons, which are relatively local.

Sutton United had Fullers London Pride on, aswell as St Austell Tribute when I went in May. St Austell was also on in the Bishops Stortford clubhouse, so it seems even if you can't get them in St Austell itself, you can get them a bit further away!

Phoenix of the CML has Wentworth beers and is in the GBG.

Mick - I went to Tadcaster in April and they had no cask ale on, even John Smiths?

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground Centralstadion, Leipzig Germany 3-0 Russia
With FC United: 130
On the agenda:
Nov 16: Eilenburg v Plauen
Nov 17: Meuselwitz v Jena
Nov 18: Anadolou Berlin v SFC Staaken; Turkyemispor v BFC Dynamo

(This post was edited by oftenscore6 on Nov 7, 2011, 11:57 PM)

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Star

Nov 8, 2011, 12:16 AM

Team(s): Kingstonian, Ipswich Town, Sheffield United, Rotherham United and East Fife

Post #10 of 93 (17247 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Local Ales at Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Stocksbridge PS have Bradfield Brown Cow on handpump. Matlock Town also have a handpump and it is a relatively local one, if a little uninspiring (Marstons Pedigree). Marine haven't gone in for a local beer - it's Greene King IPA - the same at Bitton. Stafford Rangers had Crown Revd James earlier this season.

Bamber Bridge have real ales, but I don't recall what they were. I know Guiseley have real ales too, but they haven't had it open when we've played there. Mickleover do too, but I don't know what it is. Sheffield's 'clubhouse' is the adjacent Coach & Horses, which has 5 or 6 Thornbridge beers.Cool

Rochdale Town do have a local beer, Lees Bitter, on handpump. I think Squires Gate had a local beer in bottles. Norton United have a couple of independent handpumps, but they're not local - the same at Pickering Town as I recall. Norton & Stockton Ancients had Black Sheep and Theakstons, which are relatively local.

Sutton United had Fullers London Pride on, aswell as St Austell Tribute when I went in May. St Austell was also on in the Bishops Stortford clubhouse, so it seems even if you can't get them in St Austell itself, you can get them a bit further away!

Phoenix of the CML has Wentworth beers and is in the GBG.

Mick - I went to Tadcaster in April and they had no cask ale on, even John Smiths?

Beat me to the Coach and Horses; always worth dropping in.

Steventon in the North Berks League had two handpumps in opeartion at their recent hop match. Abingdon Bridge from the local Loose Cannon Brewery made for the ideal breakfast beverage with the bacon butties.

Whyteleafe always has London Pride available.

Kingstonian (OK supplied for AFC) have a rotating selection; often including T.E.A. from Hogs Back Brewery.

Always worth a revisit EOL club Basildon Town have several ales from local micros in excellent condition.

willesden
Reserve Team Sub

Nov 8, 2011, 1:44 AM

Team(s): Scarborough Athletic, Hull City & Hendon + NW London Non League

Post #11 of 93 (17239 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Main Drain Man] Local Ales at Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for all these replies and tips fellas. I'll certainly be taking notice of this thread when I'm trying to decide on a ground to visit.

It makes me wonder just how many extra floating fans the clubs catering for us ale buffs attract, meaning increased revenue.

rambler77
First Team Star

Nov 8, 2011, 6:39 AM

Team(s): Oadby Town, Leicester City

Post #12 of 93 (17230 views)
Shortcut

Oadby Town have their "local" ale from 100 miles away - Greene King's Abbot & IPA. Then again their ground is sponsored by the brewery. Wink

http://rambler77.zenfolio.com/

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 8, 2011, 9:48 AM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #13 of 93 (17217 views)
Shortcut

Forgot a couple:

AFC Wimbledon had Kew Gold on handpump on my visit. It's only on one side of the bar, but they'll fetch it through if the other side is closed.

Also, FC United have bottled Holts beers when at Bury, but you need to be signed in by a member to access that bar.

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground Centralstadion, Leipzig Germany 3-0 Russia
With FC United: 130
On the agenda:
Nov 16: Eilenburg v Plauen
Nov 17: Meuselwitz v Jena
Nov 18: Anadolou Berlin v SFC Staaken; Turkyemispor v BFC Dynamo

Runwell
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 8, 2011, 11:17 PM

Team(s): Team 'Impersonating other Twitter Users' - est. 2011

Post #14 of 93 (17157 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Watts] Local Ales at Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It's not quite as local as it could be, but Dulwich Hamlet stock a selection of bottled beers from Brentwood Brewery: Brentwood Gold, Hope & Glory and Chocolate Orange. There's usually a more mainstream ale on handpump such as Fuller's London Pride or Adnams Broadside.

Brentwood Town were stocking a lot of the Brentwood Brewery ones, but when I went there the other week, though the poster was still up on the clubhouse, they had all gone.

Stanway and Halstead often have local ales on tap. Sometimes it's just Adnams but they have had a few Essex/Suffolk ones as well. AFC Sudbury I remember had Nethergate on tap on my last visit - '3.9%' I think?

Chelmsford City were also stocking a local cider the other week, but it had already gone by Monday.

Last match:
Monday 17th October 2016
Aveley 1-1 Phoenix Sports (Isthmian League Division 1 North)

Next scheduled match:
Tuesday 18th October 2016
Burnham Ramblers v Haringey & Waltham (Essex Senior League)

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Nov 9, 2011, 4:00 PM

Team(s): Nuneaton Griff

Post #15 of 93 (17128 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Runwell] Local Ales at Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The 'real' problem is that Real Ale only has a few days life once tapped so any clubhouse that opens just on a Saturday would be throwing away what was not sold, money down the drain in fact. The solution for such clubs is obviously bottles.
I used to like the Batemans in Boston United club, worth travelling over for it! In the Midlands Tividale has several on handpump and a steward who knows his beer.

Spinx
Youth Team Sub

Nov 9, 2011, 5:28 PM

Post #16 of 93 (17104 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Local Ales at Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes. At Tividale we have been congratulated by a number of visitors on our choice of guest beers.
We have also held a couple of beer festivals promoting our local breweries that have gone down quite well.

Tring's no 1
Youth Team Sub

Nov 11, 2011, 11:12 PM

Team(s): Tring Athletic, Totternhoe, Watford

Post #17 of 93 (17053 views)
Shortcut

At Tring Athletic we are only open usually open on matchdays, but stock bottles from the excellent Tring Brewery who are less than a mile from the ground.

Usually a choice of at least 2 or 3 of Colley's Dog, Side Pocket for a Toad, Jack O'Legs or for the brave Death or Glory at 7.2%

http://www.tringbrewery.co.uk/...nentandSeasonal.html

Only viable to use the handpump on days we have an evening function but looking to be able to arrange a smaller barrell for matchdays to see if there is demand.

miswell
Reserve Team Star

Nov 13, 2011, 12:11 AM

Team(s): Aylesbury Utd, Tring Athletic, Watford

Post #18 of 93 (17010 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tring's no 1] Local Ales at Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
At Tring Athletic we are only open usually open on matchdays, but stock bottles from the excellent Tring Brewery who are less than a mile from the ground.

Usually a choice of at least 2 or 3 of Colley's Dog, Side Pocket for a Toad, Jack O'Legs or for the brave Death or Glory at 7.2%

http://www.tringbrewery.co.uk/...nentandSeasonal.html

Only viable to use the handpump on days we have an evening function but looking to be able to arrange a smaller barrell for matchdays to see if there is demand.

Oh yes Cool

Runwell
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 14, 2011, 1:01 AM

Team(s): Team 'Impersonating other Twitter Users' - est. 2011

Post #19 of 93 (16955 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The 'real' problem is that Real Ale only has a few days life once tapped so any clubhouse that opens just on a Saturday would be throwing away what was not sold, money down the drain in fact. The solution for such clubs is obviously bottles.

Indeed, though on a personal note, I've had real ale out of the bottle, and I find it doesn't compare to stuff out of the pump.

Last match:
Monday 17th October 2016
Aveley 1-1 Phoenix Sports (Isthmian League Division 1 North)

Next scheduled match:
Tuesday 18th October 2016
Burnham Ramblers v Haringey & Waltham (Essex Senior League)

KnowYourMarket

Nov 14, 2011, 8:37 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #20 of 93 (16944 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Runwell] Local Ales at Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I agree, most bottled real ale are not as good as their draught counterparts. I have to say though that St Peters Ruby Red Ale is gorgeous even from the bottle. I assume this is available nationally at Tesco as it's brewed in Bungay and on sale locally here.

Which other bottled ales are good?

Titanic Stout for one

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Nov 14, 2011, 10:28 AM

Team(s): Nuneaton Griff

Post #21 of 93 (16929 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Local Ales at Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Again the problem with bottled ales is that they are mostly not real ales, for that you have to get the right ones that are still 'living' and have sediment at the bottom when poured. Because most are not the taste suffers and in my opinion is the reason most taste nothing like the handpumped version.

Chapeltom
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 14, 2011, 7:48 PM

Team(s): Sheffield Wednesday (ENG), Uni Lions (Taiwan baseball)

Post #22 of 93 (16881 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Local Ales at Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or

When bottles are 1.75 for generic find it everywhere beers and 2+ up to 3 for a more obscure/local name, its a very easy decision when considering difference in quality and taste, which to go with - cask over the bottle, 99.9 times over 100.

Jamesie
Deleted

Nov 14, 2011, 9:33 PM

Team(s):

Post #23 of 93 (16868 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Local Ales at Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
I agree, most bottled real ale are not as good as their draught counterparts. I have to say though that St Peters Ruby Red Ale is gorgeous even from the bottle. I assume this is available nationally at Tesco as it's brewed in Bungay and on sale locally here.

Which other bottled ales are good?

Titanic Stout for one

It is available nationally Nick, but only as an "optional". Here in my little empire, I have opted in - it is nice! Another decent one bottled is Coniston Bluebird, that one is bottle conditioned, but is still not as good as the one pulled in the Black Bull up in Coniston village itself. There are others which are pretty decent, but just about all fail to beat the cask version.

Just a note to anyone who is wondering, I am no longer a moderator of this forum due to current personal circumstances and work commitments. If you need help, contact leohoenig or Steve walker. Thank You.

VP

Nov 15, 2011, 1:12 AM

Post #24 of 93 (16848 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jamesie] Local Ales at Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As so few non-league grounds have hand-pulled it's great to have the choice of a bottle of something or other, even if it's not as good as the real thing. More and more clubs seem to have something or other tucked away in the darkest recesses of their bar.
Rather a bottle of Fursty Ferret or even Newcastle Brown than a John Smiths Extra Smooth on the pump.

Seagull
First Team Star

Nov 15, 2011, 11:57 AM

Post #25 of 93 (16814 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Local Ales at Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
As so few non-league grounds have hand-pulled it's great to have the choice of a bottle of something or other, even if it's not as good as the real thing. More and more clubs seem to have something or other tucked away in the darkest recesses of their bar.
Rather a bottle of Fursty Ferret or even Newcastle Brown than a John Smiths Extra Smooth on the pump.

Amen to that VP, I wouldn't wash the sh*t off my trainers with Extra Smooth, a truly vile excuse for a beer.

Although not a football club, our bar on our caravan site has Purple Moose beer in most of the time now in bottles (2.50 a pop), both Snowdonia Ale and Glaslyn Ale come quite close to the draft version, especially if served at room temp. For beer drinkers it's either that or Tetleys Smooth, tough choice Cool

They have now got Thatchers Cider on draft though which was a nice surprise, it blows both Strongbow and Magners out of the water.

Options are very much there if bar managers can be bothered.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3