Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Proper pubs

First page Previous page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 Next page Last page  View All

Climate Change
Reserve Team Sub

Feb 10, 2019, 3:22 PM

Post #751 of 766 (5727 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Proper pubs [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
the best pub of the day by a country mile has to be...

The Seven Stars
1 Thomas Lane
Redcliffe
Bristol

...across the water in the direction of Temple Meads, and not too far away from that other gem The Cornubia. While those other pubs give lip service to their salty Bristol roots, this place is the real McCoy: down a stinking alley in a grubby little corner surrounded by office blocks, with a filthy stained front, battered furniture thoughout, smelly toilets, dirty windows, a barmaid with excellent taste in music, and four or five taps of imaginative ale. Highlights of this visit were the Kingstone Stout from Tintern, and the point where a bearded hipster gingerly tiptoed through the grime to ask if they served non-alcoholic beer. The barmaid smiled sweetly and said "Definitely no!" Right answer!

I can remember coming to this part of Bristol on a college trip in the spring of 1985, to visit the rusting shell of the SS Great Britain before it was repaired and renovated. A bus-load of thirty or so of us then crowded into an old dock-side pub I think called The Albion somewhere around this stretch of Bristol's quayside. At that time, this area was semi-derelict and a million miles from the trendy boutiques and coffee shops that fill the place now. The Seven Stars, however, must be the last remaining bastion of that old-time Bristol still remaining. A gorgeous pint and an absolute gem of a pub.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking forward to spending a few hours in here next Saturday before the cup game on Sunday.

I don't need Google. I have a Hoddy.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 14, 2019, 2:52 AM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #752 of 766 (5450 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Climate Change] Proper pubs [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Plenty of excellent pubs to write up about from my recent trip north, starting off with my weekend in the brilliant pub town of Burton-On-Trent. First up, straight after getting off the train, was...

Weighbridge Inn
2df, 5 Derby Road
Burton-On-Trent
Staffordshire

http://www.burtonoldcottagebeerco.co.uk/index.php

...a little micropub in an old railway building tucked underneath the western end of the bridge immediately outside the railway station, on the edge of the car park of the nextdoor Travelodge hotel. A pleasant little place with cafe tables outside, and in the right direction for those heading in the direction of the Pirelli Stadium. Also good for those walking towards the Albion football ground are...

The Alfred
51 Derby Street
Burton-On-Trent
Staffordshire

...and...

Derby Inn
17 Derby Road
Burton-On-Trent
Staffordshire

...both very much full of Burton fans pre- and post-match, but still friendly and welcoming to everyone else. The Derby Inn in particular is famous for the quality of its Bass, while the Alfred is tied to the local Burton Bridge Brewery.

Right over in the western suburb of Stapenhill, west of the River Trent and close to the top end of the A444, is the very beautiful...

The Elms
36 Stapenhill Road
Burton-On-Trent
Staffordshire

https://www.dorbiere.co.uk/the-elms/

...complete with large red Bass triangles on the front and side of the pub. From there, it's a short walk up to the Burton Bridge that crosses the River Trent back towards the town centre, and to the famous...

Burton Bridge Brewery
24 Bridge Street
Burton-On-Trent
Staffordshire

http://www.burtonbridgebrewery.co.uk/

...a wonderful old-time pub and brewery housed in an old late 17th century building, offering a lovely range along with cheese cobs. Then, closer to the very centre of the town...

The Dog
5 Lichfield Street
Burton-On-Trent
Staffordshire

...which is the present local CAMRA pub of the year, and is run by Black Country Ales, they of Pig On A Wall fame (though the choice from other brewers is huge). I have to say that the quality of ale was very good, but it did strike me as a bit of a beer tickers pub, and the blaring rugby on the telly did manage to kill the atmosphere. These weren't problems at Burton's most famous pub...

Coopers Tavern
43 Cross Street
Burton-On-Trent
Staffordshire

https://whatpub.com/...rn-burton-upon-trent

...a truly beautiful old-time pub that used to be the former Bass brewery tap, and now appears in CAMRA's National Inventory of Historic Pub Interiors. There is a list on the wall of all the innkeepers since 1823, when the building was the private fiefdom of the senior brewery owners, with members of the public being allowed into the front rooms from 1858, and only being allowed into the historic back bar from as recently at 1950. The pub is like a timewarp for all the right reasons, with the huge hulk of the modern Coors Brewery immediately across the road proving that this pub comes from a more civilised time. One last pub to include is just around the corner, on the approach to the bridge up to the railway station, at...

The Last Heretic
94 Station Street
Burton-On-Trent
Staffordshire

http://www.thelastheretic.co.uk/

...a small micropub in an old shop, with some lovely dark ales from Staffordshire, Derbyshire and further afield, and a sandwich board outside advertising it as welcoming away football fans. Certainly there were plenty of Oxford United fans who'd found their way there. I prepared myself for my trip to Yorkshire with a pint of porter from Darn T'Ginnel Imperial Brewery in Mexborough.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 14, 2019, 2:58 AM

Post #753 of 766 (5447 views)
Shortcut

One other Staffordshire pub was visited, in the small town of Tutbury after walking back from the Hanbury Crater and the site of the RAF Fauld explosion of 1944...

Cask & Pottle
2 High Street
Tutbury
Staffordshire

http://www.caskandpottle.co.uk/

...where I had Hornswoggle bitter from the Froth Blowers Brewery from near Castle Vale in Birmingham. A friendly and modest little place that is obviously popular on a Sunday afternoon with the locals.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 14, 2019, 3:17 AM

Post #754 of 766 (5442 views)
Shortcut

Sunday evening saw a flying visit to the fine pub town of Derby, taking in two excellent GBG pubs within strolling distance of the main railway station, starting at...

Brunswick Inn
1 Railway Terrace
Derby
Derbyshire

https://www.brunswickderby.co.uk/

...the local CAMRA group's pub of the year for 2016 and 2017. Lots of little cubby-holes and rooms to explore in this lovely old building in Derby's Victorian railway village, just a two minute walk north from the station's main entrance. Sixteen real ale handpumps and about the same number of real perry and ciders, too. I was tempted to stay in here for the evening and read my NLP, but decided to head off and found immediately around the corner...

Alexandra Hotel
203 Siddals Road
Derby
Derbyshire

http://www.alexandrahotelderby.co.uk/

This is a brilliant pub - not only with a dozen handpumps of darks, milds, porters and stouts, but also the inner rooms are full of old railway signage and books, with a huge digital nineties platform clock hanging from the ceiling. Even better, the car park is dominated by the cab of a Class 37 loco, with the garden walls covered with even more signposts. Earwigging the conversations of the locals, most of them seemed to be working/retired railway workers, and I heard the phrase "Dirty Leeds" uttered at least twice in my hour in there! Bloomin' brilliant pub.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 14, 2019, 3:49 AM

Post #755 of 766 (5438 views)
Shortcut

While staying in York, I caught the train to Durham for the day, and found three rather wonderful pubs before heading to Northallerton Town v. Thornaby in the evening. First up was...

Ye Olde Elm Tree
12 Crossgate
Durham
County Durham

...a lovely locals' pub in the terraced houses up the hill from Framwellgate Bridge, on the western bank of the River Wear. The city of Durham is obviously very beautiful and it attracts plenty of tourists, but the tourist crowds don't seem to have ripped the heart of the place as has obviously happened in places like Oxford and Bath - the place is too hilly to allow too many tour coaches, and the city centre still seems to be full of proper shops (not the countless touters of fridge-magnets, t-shirts and similar tat we suffer in Oxford). And this was such a pretty and friendly little pub to be so close to the city centre. Next up was...

Victoria Inn
86 Hallgarth Street
Durham
County Durham

http://www.victoriainn-durhamcity.co.uk/bed-and-breakfast/

...which is another pub in CAMRA's National Inventory of Historic Pub Interiors, and is claimed to be the best historic multi-room interior in the north-east of England. Good ale and toasties available, with the locals playing dominoes - I had Sonnet 43 Brewery's Raven stout from nearby Coxhoe. Finally, last pub of the day was...

Station House
North Road
Durham
County Durham

http://www.stationhousedurham.co.uk/

...which is a small micropub sat in a spectacular location tucked beneath the huge arches of the viaduct leading into Durham railway station. The micropub opened in December 2015 and is a great place to stop off for anyone passing through Durham by train.

(This post was edited by oxpete on Feb 14, 2019, 3:50 AM)

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 16, 2019, 3:54 AM

Post #756 of 766 (5071 views)
Shortcut

Only a fleeting visit to Doncaster this time, with just enough time to wolf down an excellent fry-up at the Tuck Inn Cafe in St.Sepulchre Gate, and then a visit to...

Draughsman Alehouse
Platform 3b, Doncaster railway station
Doncaster
South Yorkshire

https://www.thedraughtsmanalehouse.co.uk/

...a micropub in the former Victorian buffet bar, right on the station platform, and opened by Russell Thompson in 2017. Beautifully tiled inside, like a mini-Sheffield-Tap, and with tables outside on the platform for drinkers wanting to watch passing trains. If I remember rightly, I had a pint of something dark from the Great Heck Brewery which is about ten miles north up the line.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 16, 2019, 4:46 AM

Post #757 of 766 (5056 views)
Shortcut

Best day of the trip was the Thursday, spent visiting the fine Yorkshire city of Hull on a gorgeous sunny day. I appreciate that Hull isn't most people's idea of traditionally pretty, but I thought the place had a fantastic quality of light - with the place being pancake-flat, the skies being big and open, the spacious streets being boulevard-wide and the spread of the Humber, there seemed to be so much stunning light reflecting everywhere.

Straight off the train, I took a walk up into the urban industrial dereliction that hugs the River Hull to the north: huge Victorian mills standing abandoned, disused gas holders, railway bridges with freight trains, redundant old swing-bridges welded into place (some stuck closed, some open), piles of aggregate on rotting quaysides, water-filled potholes - the place is fantastic. And in the middle of this swathe of forgotten landscape is...

The Whalebone
165 Wincolmlee
Hull
East Yorkshire

I bet there were loads of old fishermen pubs like this in the city once, when this was the old Greenland whaling trading area. The pub is full of old framed photos of some of those long-gone pubs, inbetween the real wood fire, laughing locals, battered furniture and the Hull Kingston Rovers memorabilia...

https://www.google.com/...fo100!7i13312!8i6656

...along with half a dozen handpumps of local stuff. There was a distinct smell of my favourite pub The Fighting Cock in Bradford here. The Whalebone really is a wonderful pub - I truly hope I get to come back to this place...

However, there were other places to visit, so it was back down into the city centre for...

Olde White Harte
25 Silver Street
Hull
East Yorkshire

...a historic old Grade II* listed place with near-unaltered 19th century interior, then on to...

The Corn Exchange
North Church Side
Hull
East Yorkshire

...of the Atom Brewing Company, a cafe-bar type place next to the enormous bulk of Hull Minster. Then heading further south down Market Street I finally reached The Humber waterfront at...

The Minerva Hotel
Nelson Street
Hull
East Yorkshire

http://www.minerva-hull.co.uk/

...which is a double-sided pub with huge windows letting in all that sunshine being reflected off the water in front. This part of Hull obviously picked up a bit of regeneration during the recent Year Of Culture, but there is still plenty of personality to the streets and squares around here. A great place to watch the shipping passing by, too. A great spot. Seems I had a pint of Great Heck dark stuff here, too.

There was still time to get to...

The George Hotel
Land Of Green Ginger
Hull
East Yorkshire

...and...

The Empress
20 Alfre Gelder Street
Hull
East Yorkshire

...which were both enjoyable. However, it is those visits the The Whalebone and to The Minerva Hotel which'll live longest in the memory. Both fine pubs in a bloody good town.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 16, 2019, 5:36 AM

Post #758 of 766 (5042 views)
Shortcut

Two pubs in Liverpool on my first visit back to the place in thirty-one years, since ticking Anfield all the way back in October 1987. The city is certainly a lot smarter and touristy than it was then - I didn't go in any pubs that day (as I remember, I cut my timings very fine and arrived at the ground not long before kick-off), but one of the things I remember of the day (apart from getting stuffed 0-4!) is that the city bus back to Lime Street had string cord that you pulled to ring the bell to get the bus to stop.

Anyway, my chosen two on this visit were...

The Ship & Mitre
133 Dale Street
Liverpool
Merseyside

http://www.theshipandmitre.com/

...a handsome 1930s white Art Deco building not far behind the impressive St.George's Hall in the city centre. They've got about a dozen or more handpumps of real ale and a few more of real cider - I had Melwood Beers Noah's Dark from Knowsley, near Prescot. They do loads of bottles, too, and there seemed to be a small shop out the back of the back bar. Then, just a little further down Dale Street in the direction of the Mersey waterfront was...

The Vernon Arms
69 Dale Street
Liverpool
Merseyside

...which was a much more modest street-corner local, but very friendly and welcoming.

Having not been to Liverpool for so long, and knowing that I only had time to visit a couple of pubs, I took these two recommendations from the CAMRA Sheffield & District website...

https://sheffield.camra.org.uk/.../a-day-in-liverpool/

...which has plenty of good write-ups on their blog of pub visits in Sheffield, Liverpool and plenty of other places. I might use this site again.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 16, 2019, 6:00 AM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #759 of 766 (5034 views)
Shortcut

And on the subject of public transport, I think the 'Ove' has now gone too....

Play-off programmes wanted: 2004 Basingstoke v Lewes. 2005 Droylsden v Kettering, Maldon v Barking, Maldon v Uxbridge. 2006 Brackley v Marlow, Kendal v Stocksbridge. 2007 Paulton v Taunton, Tooting v Hastings. 2008 Didcot v Oxford City, Tooting v Worthing, Sheffield v Stocksbridge. 2009 East Thurrock v Concord, Ilkeston v Kendal, Nantwich v Guiseley, Stocksbridge v Carlton. 2014 Tiverton v Paulton. 2015 Darlington v Bamber Bridge.

FA Vase semi wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

FA Trophy programmes wanted: 1969-70 Any round from first season. Have many but plenty of gaps still to fill.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 16, 2019, 10:26 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #760 of 766 (4795 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
.... but one of the things I remember of the day (apart from getting stuffed 0-4!) is that the city bus back to Lime Street had string cord that you pulled to ring the bell to get the bus to stop.

Blimey, there's a blast from the past! It was a cord that ran horizontally along the ceiling down each side of the bus. Don't think they've appeared in my conscious since they were done away with decades ago so thanks for jogging a small and distant memory.

Good choice of pubs too (the Ship and the Vernon) if you were limited to just two.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 17, 2019, 4:16 AM

Post #761 of 766 (4425 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Proper pubs [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I have been meaning to post this for some time but, as the 1st birthday party is this weekend, thought I should finally get my finger out.

Horse & Jockey
250 Wadsley Lane
Hillsborough, Sheffield

This was formerly a grim place, including a period as a Hogs Head Alehouse (which sold no ale worth drinking), but last year it was taken over by Stancill Brewery and has gone from strength to strength.

At least 7 Stancill ales are always on (normally more) at very reasonable prices (£2 a pint for the two I sampled last night). Their Sheffield brewed pilsner is also a fixture, as is a large range of Sam Smith's bottled beers (although at rather more expensive prices).

A rather rural design inside, which is strange as the place was apparently built in the 1930s when city expansion had already reached these parts. Probably an attempt to invoke memories of the old Wadsley Village.

Handy for matches at Hillsborough, and for Sheffield Bankers in the County Senior League, as long as you don't mind an uphill walk - and, if you do, then frankly you should not be visiting Sheffield !

Mick - I have not forgotten this post you wrote a year and a half ago, and so popped up to the Horse & Jockey while in Sheffield last week...

http://www.stancillbrewery.co.uk/

At the top of a steep hill, but not too far from Sheffield Wednesday football ground - I headed there after buying a bagful of non-league badges in the Independent SWFC Programme Shop on Leppings Lane. As you say, a great pub with some darn good pints of Stancill ales - I managed a pint of the porter and another of the black, while admiring my badges and some vinyl I'd bought at Record Collector on Fulwood Road. The place was beginning to fill up with Wednesday fans by the time I left to walk back to the tram for Rotherham. A great pub, and I'm really glad I made the effort, so thanks for the recommendation.

Obviously, there are simply way too many brilliant pubs to get to in Sheffield in the space of a weekend, but I gave it a try, visiting those old favourites of The Fat Cat, Kelham Island Tavern, The Bath Hotel and The Sheffield Tap. However, I did also get to some others not previously visited, like...

Three Tuns
39 Silver Street Head
Sheffield
South Yorkshire

...a handsome Victorian brick flat-iron style building down the steep hill between the cathedral and Kelham Island. A decent range of Titanic ales, and in any other city this'd be a great little pub, but it does find itself rather in the shadow of some illustrious near-neighbours. And the same could also be said of...

The Ship Inn
312 Shalesmoor
Sheffield
South Yorkshire

...a beautiful old Victorian pub of copper-coloured ceramic tiles by the side of the Shalesmoor roundabout, with an eclectic range of ales. The Ship does seem to be geared up to please a younger crowd, what with low leather settees and jazz on the speakers - not necessarily a bad thing to differentiate from the beer-ticking honeypots just around the corner. The very last new visit before the train back home was...

Rutland Arms
86 Brown Street
Sheffield
South Yorkshire

https://www.therutlandarmssheffield.co.uk/

...a GBG-listed student-hangout just a few minutes walk south of the railway station. Lots of choice and good stodgy filling nosh, too, in this elegantly disheveled tavern. I'm going to hazard a guess that I actually walked past this pub thirty-three years ago, when I was part of the 5,000 Pompey fans being frogmarched back from a 0-0 draw at Bramall Lane in April 1986, on the very day that the Chernobyl nuclear reactor went bang. How time flies...

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 20, 2019, 9:31 PM

Post #762 of 766 (3254 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Proper pubs [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Good choice of pubs too (the Ship and the Vernon) if you were limited to just two.

I did actually manage a third pub in Merseyside, twenty minutes up the line in Crosby, at...

The Corner Post
25 Bridge Road
Brighton-le-Sands
Crosby

...while heading to watch AFC Liverpool play at Marine FCís College Road ground. Itís a basic, modest little micropub in an old post office, with a small but eclectic choice of ales on tap - a really friendly, pleasant and peaceful place for a good pint and a rest. The nearest railway station is just around the corner at Blundellsands & Crosby, and itís only a five minute walk on to the sandy expanse of Crosby beach, home of the famous Anthony Gormley iron statues. These are quite a sight: over a hundred iron statues, cast from a mould of Gormleyís own body, that were planted into the sand in 2006, and are swallowed up by the sea every time the tide comes in. Saying that, Crosby beach would be quite a sight even without this modern art installation: backed onto by huge sand dunes, with the view of over fifty enormous wind turbines just off-shore. The day I was there was windy but with a cloudless blue sky and a brilliant low winter sun, shining onto a couple of huge cargo ships ploughing their way from the Irish Sea into the Mersey. To the south are the dockside cranes of Liverpoolís remaining docks, and the seafront buildings across the river in New Brighton.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 3, 2019, 8:50 PM

Post #763 of 766 (1840 views)
Shortcut

I've finally managed to get Flickr to work (I think!), so here are January's pubs along with photographs in an album called 'January'19'.

And see if you can spot the characterful hopper lurking in one of the photos! Tongue

===================

Visit 365 different pubs in the 365 days of 2019

1. Hearsall Inn, 45 Craven Street, COVENTRY
2. Town Crier, Corporation Street, COVENTRY
3. Spon Gate Wetherspoons, Croft Gate, COVENTRY
4. The William Walker, 34 The Square, WINCHESTER
5. Evening Star, 55~56 Surrey Street, BRIGHTON
6. Heart & Hand, 75 North Road, BRIGHTON
7. Lord Nelson Inn, 36 Trafalgar Street, BRIGHTON
8. Watchmaker's Arm's, 84 Golstone Villas, HOVE
9. Stag's Head, 35 High Street, PORTSLADE
10. Three Guineas, Reading railway station, READING
11. King & Castle, Station Drive, Comberton Hill, KIDDERMINSTER
12. Barbridge, Victoria Passage, STOURBRIDGE
13. Red House Boutique, 21~26 Foster Place, STOURBRIDGE
14. Duke William, 25 Coventry Street, STOURBRIDGE
15. Royal Blenheim, 13 St.Ebbe's Street, OXFORD
16. Lamb & Flag, 12 St.Giles, OXFORD
17. King's Arms, 40 Hollywell Street, OXFORD
18. The Plough, 38 Cornmarket, OXFORD
19. Three Goats Heads, 3~5 St.Michael's Street, OXFORD
20. Golden Ball, 2 College Lane, Littlemore, OXFORD
21. Mason's Arms, 2 Quarry School Place, Headington Quarry, OXFORD
22. Butcher's Arms, 5 Wilberforce Street, Headington, OXFORD
23. White Horse, 52 Broad Street, OXFORD
24. White Rabbit, 21 Friar's Entry, OXFORD
25. The Castle, 24 Paradise Street, OXFORD
26. St.Aldate's Tavern, 108 St.Aldates, OXFORD
27. Chequers, 130a High Street, OXFORD
28. Claremont Vaults, 1~3 Birnbeck Road, WESTON-SUPER-MARE
29. The Regency, 22~24 Lower Church Road, WESTON-SUPER-MARE
30. Off The Rails, Station Road, WESTON-SUPER-MARE

https://www.flickr.com/...ms/72157706941276485

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 3, 2019, 9:55 PM

Post #764 of 766 (1812 views)
Shortcut

One last write-up on the pubs visited during my trip north, this time those in York. Most of the pubs here were ones I'd been to before, but obviously plenty are so good that there is no harm in revisiting pubs as good as The Golden Ball, The Blue Bell or The Swan again and again.

Of the new pubs visited, I liked...

Wellington Inn
47 Alma Terrace
York
North Yorkshire

...which is in a small area of Victorian terraces close to the eastern bank of the River Ouse, about a mile south of the city centre (meaning it is refreshingly hidden from the tourist throngs). The building dates from the 1850s, and it is thought to be York's oldest purpose-built pub to survive so unaltered, with stone-flagged floors and real wood-fueled fires in both front bars. The Wellington is listed in the CAMRA Inventory of historic pub interiors, but not in the GBG - it's tied to the Samuel Smith's Brewery, so range is a bit limited. Saying that, I'm more than happy to sup their Extra Stout every so often, and there's normally something worthwhile in bottle in their pubs.

From the Wellington, it's a short walk further south on the Ouse riverbank to the Millennium cycle bridge over to the western bank. Close to here is Bishopthorpe Road, recently named as the best shopping street in the country, and just off here are The Swan (another with a gorgeous unspoiled interior), and...

The Slip Inn
20 Clementhorpe
York
North Yorkshire

http://www.theslipinnyork.co.uk/

...which is listed in the GBG and hosts beer festivals every so often. The interior decoration is modest, but the range on tap is excellent - I had a pint of Rufus Red from Crooked Brewing, which is a microbrewery based near the village of Church Fenton to the south of York.

When starting the 365 Pubs Challenge, I'd told myself that I wasn't going to include sports- or working-clubs, but decided to make an exception for...

York Burton Lane Club
74 Bootham Crescent
York
North Yorkshire

...which sits immediately across from the main entrance of York City FC's ground. This was partly because it saved me hunting out some other nearby hostelries, but also because they had several good things on from the excellent Ossett Brewery. The third reason was because after that evening's match, I got a good photo of the front of the club complete with a conked-out mini-bus that was supposed to be taking the visiting fans back to Hereford! A long and wet journey that would have been, eh lads?!

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 3, 2019, 10:34 PM

Post #765 of 766 (1803 views)
Shortcut

One pub in York that deserves a lengthy write-up of its own is...

The Blue Bell
53 Fossgate
York
North Yorkshire

...which sits just to the south of the famous Shambles shopping streets, and is one of the few public houses in the country to have the distinction of Grade II* listed status for the outstanding importance of its interior. The pub was refurbished in 1903 by a local wine merchant called CJ Melrose & Co, with a public bar at the front, a smoke room at the rear, a side-corridor forming an early version of a northern drinking lobby (along with wooded tip-up seat on one wall), and Edwardian fittings like frosted glass, glazed screens and sashed service hatches. The colour all round is a dark varnished red wood.

The Blue Bell's preservation in such an unaltered state has had much to do with its tenancy remaining in the same family throughout most of the 20th century, with the famous landlady Edith Pinder finally retiring in 1992. Since then, despite major ownership changes, the pub has continued to thrive thanks to enthusiastic and caring licensees. There is always a wide and good range of Yorkshire ales on tap, and food does not extent much further than pies from a local independent butcher. The pub (being tiny) discourages the large tour-groups and stag/hen parties which York is becoming a magnet for, instead encouraging a bit of conversation and peace and quiet.

Unfortunately, ownership has not been as straightforward over recent years, and the Blue Bell has gained headlines recently because of the unsympathetic treatment of its present landlord by current owners, the monolithic Punch Taverns. The number-crunchers at Punch HQ seemed to think that this real ale mecca should have been selling a lot more in the way of branded lagers and overpriced food, and seemed totally ignorant to the role that the pub actually plays in the local community, believing that they'd be better off with a pub-manager rather than a dedicated landlord. Thanks to a lot of hard work by himself and support from his regulars, CAMRA and other publicans in York, present landlord John Pybus has recently managed to negotiate a six-year extension to his management of the Blue Bell along with an agreement for him to continue to run the pub in the way he has, but failed to get the MRO (Market Rent Only) deal that he hoped. Despite that, it has still been a mighty good show of people-power by the citizens of York and the regulars of the Blue Bell.

More details here...

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/...gates-blue-bell-pub/

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 3, 2019, 11:34 PM

Post #766 of 766 (1791 views)
Shortcut

And now February's list in the 365 Pub Challenge, which was greatly helped by visits to Burton-On-Trent and Yorkshire...

Visit 365 different pubs in the 365 days of 2019

31. Weighbridge Inn, 5 Derby Street, BURTON-ON-TRENT
32. Elms Inn, 36 Stapenhill Road, BURTON-ON-TRENT
33. Burton Bridge Brewery, 24 Bridge Street, BURTON-ON-TRENT
34. The Dog, 5 Lichfield Street, BURTON-ON-TRENT
35. Coopers Tavern, 43 Cross Street, BURTON-ON-TRENT
36. The Last Heretic, 94 Station Street, BURTON-ON-TRENT
37. Derby Inn, 17 Derby Road, BURTON-ON-TRENT
38. The Alfred, 51 Derby Street, BURTON_ON_TRENT
39. Cask & Pottle, 2 High Street, TUTBURY
40. Brunswick Inn, 1 Railway Terrace, DERBY
41. Alexandra Hotel, 203 Siddals Road, DERBY
42. Golden Ball, 2 Cromwell Road, YORK
43. Wellington Inn, 47 Alma Terrace, YORK
44. Blue Bell, 53 Fossgate, YORK
45. The Slip Inn, 20 Clementhorpe, YORK
46. The Swan, 16 Bishopgate Street, YORK
47. York Burton Lane Club, 74 Bootham Crescent, YORK
48. Ye Olde Elm Tree, 12 Crossgate, DURHAM
49. The Victoria, 84 Hallgarth Street, DURHAM
50. Station House, North Road, DURHAM
51. Whalebone, 165 Wincolmlee, HULL
52. Ye Olde White Harte, 25 Silver Street, HULL
53. Corn Exchange, North Church Side, HULL
54. Minerva, Nelson Street, HULL
55. George Hotel, Land Of Green Ginger, HULL
56. The Empress, 20 Alfred Gelder Street, HULL
57. Draughtman Alehouse, Plt.3B, Doncaster station, DONCASTER
58. Ship & Mitre, 133 Dale Street, LIVERPOOL
59. Vernon Arms, 69 Dale Street, LIVERPOOL
60. Corner Post, 25 Bridge Road, Brighton-Le-Sands, CROSBY
61. Horse & Jockey, Wadsley Lane, Hillsborough, SHEFFIELD
62. Bath Hotel, 66~68 Victoria Street, SHEFFIELD
63. Three Tuns, 39 Silver Street Head, SHEFFIELD
64. The Fat Cat, 23 Alma Street, Kelham Island, SHEFFIELD
65. Kelham Island Tavern, 62 Russell Street, Kelham Island, SHEFFIELD
66. Ship Inn, 312 Shalesmoor, Kelham Island, SHEFFIELD
67. Rutland Arms, 86 Brown Street, SHEFFIELD
68. Sheffield Tap, Plt.1b, Sheffield Midland station, SHEFFIELD
69. White Horse, Marsh Way, Woolstone, UFFINGTON
70. The Greyhound, A420, BESSELSLEIGH
71. Mad Squirrel Tap, 4~5 Church Street, HIGH WYCOMBE
72. Mad Squirrel Tap, 100 Sycamore Road, AMERSHAM
73. Teardrop, Oxford indoor market, High Street, OXFORD
74. Bailiff's Tap, 4 Southam Road, BANBURY
75. Tapping The Admiral, 77 Castle Road, Kentish Town, LONDON
76. Southampton Arms, 139 Highgate Road, Gospel Oak, LONDON
77. The Blackfriar, 174 Queen Victoria Street, LONDON

https://www.flickr.com/...ms/72157689967838163

Counties of England ticked in February: 9
Staffordshire, Derbyshire, North Yorkshire, County Durham, East Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, Merseyside, Buckinghamshire, London.

Total number of counties ticked so far: 16

(This post was edited by oxpete on Mar 3, 2019, 11:50 PM)

First page Previous page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3