Team(s): Fareham Town - THE CREEKSIDERS

Post #1 of 40 (17112 views)
Shortcut
Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friday 12th October

Portsmouth Beer Festival
Admission 7
Tokens - 35 for 10

Held at the tiny Groundlings theatre, this is not an official CAMRA festival, just one organised by the local Irving brewery following the new management agents of Portsmouth Guildhall wanting excessive charge for use of facilities.

Beer wise there were over 50 too chose from, the highlights for me were

Beartowns Peach Melbear
Great Oakleys - Wots Occuring
Liverpool Organic Brewery - Liverpool Pale Ale
Woodlands - Ash Blonde.

Being a tiny venue - it quickly became a struggle to get through the masses to get another beer and with a long day to Rotherham on the Saturday we left relatively early.

Perhaps next year either limit ticket sales or find a bigger venue?

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor
www.facebook.com/nonleaguebins

A football club is for life, not just for trophies

D A
First Team Star

Oct 14, 2012, 1:19 PM

Team(s): Airstrip 1.

Post #2 of 40 (17105 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Friday 12th October

Beartowns - Peach Melbear
Woodlands - Ash Blonde.

Glad you like some of my local stuff. Woodlands certainly improved since moving from Wrenbury.

'I'm not cynical. I'm just experienced'.
29/11/2012. Anyone need numbers for Cheddar F C please p/m.

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 25, 2013, 12:33 PM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #3 of 40 (16908 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Please add Where are you going? To this thread Wink

Colchester Winter Ale Festival on this week.
In the Arts Centre, Church Street.

631 GROUNDS - Tranmere Rovers(61/92)
580 WETHERSPOONS - Wallasey
1 WETHERSPOONS HOTEL

Runwell
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 29, 2013, 3:05 PM

Team(s): Team 'Impersonating other Twitter Users' - est. 2011

Post #4 of 40 (16825 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Which I was at on Friday afternoon with a few others on a carefully chosen day off. Also popped in after the game at Shrub End for a couple of halfs on Saturday.

Last match:
Monday 17th October 2016
Aveley 1-1 Phoenix Sports (Isthmian League Division 1 North)

Next scheduled match:
Tuesday 18th October 2016
Burnham Ramblers v Haringey & Waltham (Essex Senior League)

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 29, 2013, 6:07 PM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #5 of 40 (16805 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Runwell] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Which I was at on Friday afternoon with a few others on a carefully chosen day off. Also popped in after the game at Shrub End for a couple of halfs on Saturday.

Which I was ALSO at on Friday afternoon!
Didn't spot you, but then again it was starting to get rather crowded.
Being a coffee lover, Mocha Moggy went down particularly well Tongue

1 WETHERSPOONS HOTEL

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 22, 2013, 5:11 PM

Post #6 of 40 (16490 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Runwell] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Chelmsford winter beer festival, King Edward grammar school.
If you are going do not miss the IRONBRIDGE STOUT which has no tasting notes but is delicious! Good old TELFORD Tongue

1 WETHERSPOONS HOTEL

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 23, 2013, 10:16 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #7 of 40 (16453 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hinckley Beer Festival
8th-10th march at Hinckley RFC (next to the greene king stadium)

Runwell
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 24, 2013, 6:02 PM

Post #8 of 40 (16407 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Chelmsford winter beer festival, King Edward grammar school.

Also here yesterday, and Friday after work. Nice to see the new venue of KEGS (quite appropriate!) which did a good job. It appeared to be as busy at the CAMRA festival at Colchester the other week, but a bit more spatious, and also better organised. Being more of a golden ale drinker, had some of the local ones. Felstar's Lightburst did just the job. Had a few of the local ciders as well. One from Dengie I had not seen before, but the likes of Sailor's Ruin from Delvin End, Sible Hedingham, and a few others, did just the job.

Hardly anything left on saturday beer wise. Just 'Kings' from Mighty Oak on the golden front. Had a few of the Hertfordshire and Norfolk ciders though which were reasonable. Washed down with some jalfrezi. Still wringing out the liver when I have the chance today. Not hopeful of a recovery by tomorrow morning! By 8:30 even the ciders had virtually all gone. They were virtually cleared out!

Last match:
Monday 17th October 2016

Next scheduled match:

(This post was edited by Runwell on Feb 24, 2013, 6:02 PM)

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 24, 2013, 6:39 PM

Team(s): Fareham Town - THE CREEKSIDERS

Post #9 of 40 (16396 views)
Shortcut

Gosport Beer Festival

9 Ticket incl programme, 1st half free and 1/2 pint glass
20 on beer vouchers
Camra members given extra 10 vouchers free

Oops - I found the Belgian beer stall far too early in the evening and rarely left with it having my favouritist beer in the universe - Orval.

Did occasionally venture into one of the other halls and Thornbridge Jaipur and Oakham Citra were other decent ales available, but I'm afraid I did spend far too long on the Orval.

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor
www.facebook.com/nonleaguebins

A football club is for life, not just for trophies

buncranaboy

Feb 24, 2013, 9:01 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #10 of 40 (16381 views)
Shortcut

The upcoming starkbierfest in Munich looks fun - nothing under 7% allowed.

http://www.destination-munich.com/...g-beer-festival.html

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 4, 2013, 2:22 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #11 of 40 (16258 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 3rd March
Bradford Beer Festival
Admission 4

Held once again at the glorious Victoria Hall in Saltaire and featuring over 100 different ales. Entertainment was provided by the Phoenix Ceilidh Band, who were highly competent if you like that sort of thing. If you didn't there were plenty of other rooms away from the main hall to escape to. We also had a fine curry at the Adaab Balti Restaurant on the stroll back to our hotel in nearby Shipley. We managed to fit in a round of golf on Saturday afternoon and a Sunday morning visit to Salts Mill, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which now hosts a very enjoyable, and free, art gallery featuring many David Hockney works amongst other things.

A fine weekend with excellent company. The only thing missing was football.

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Mar 17, 2013, 11:47 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #12 of 40 (16057 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Where am I going?

The second Altrincham AFC beer festival is on the weekend of April 27th-28th. Unlike last year, which was a week after the season finished, there will be a proper game, against Droylsden, on the Saturday, which may well be a meaningful one (I will be surprised if Droylsden are not officially relegated by then, but Altrincham may still need the points to make certain of the play-offs).

Last year admission to the beer festival, held in the club shop, was free, although I would expect this to be suspended while the game is on.

sheffgeoff
First Team Star

Mar 18, 2013, 12:14 AM

Team(s): Colchester United, Stocksbridge Park Steels, Borussia Dortmund & Essex CC

Post #13 of 40 (16049 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friday night I was at the SIBA BeerX at Ponds Forge, Sheffield. 64 hand pumps rotating over 600 cask ales! Nice!

noprogs
First Team Star

Apr 7, 2013, 5:47 PM

Team(s):

Post #14 of 40 (15744 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sheffgeoff] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 6th April at Morley cricket club.
I've lived in Morley for 24 years, and am still an outsider which shows you how insular it is.
I was astonished to learn there was a beer festival - only one adventurous pub has regularly sold Tetley's Mild which shows the level of experiment.
All credit to the cricket club though for putting this on to boost funds, and in that sense they must have succeeded with the numbers.
Beers were restricted to Yorkshire ones ( of course) and weren't in bad nick.
There were of course the local proles drinking cans of Woodpecker and bottles of Bud, but with luck the experiment will be repeated.

Runwell
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 12, 2013, 12:36 AM

Post #15 of 40 (15629 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

From Good Friday/Easter Saturday/Easter Monday:
The Viper PH
Mill Green nr Ingatestone, Essex
Attendance: Ranged from 10-20, but busiest on Easter Saturday
Free admission. No programme issued

Also purchased on Good Friday from BBQ: Burger with onions 3.25

Situated on the edge of deep woodland on a country lane about 3-4 miles NE of Ingatestone, and about 7-8 miles SW of Chelmsford, this old style pub is apparently the only PH in the country called 'The Viper'? It's a nice bike ride from Ingatestone or Chelmsford stations, but the weather was so cold for this one, those that did try it were braver than me. As I drove here, alcohol intake was sadly minimal.

Unfortunately the very cold weather must have hit this beer festival very hard, especially with it being held in a big marquee in front of the pub. The beer was even colder than the air surrounding it. Not pleasant. Quite sad that most of the beers (40 max) that were available on Good Friday were still there on Easter Monday. I can't begin to imagine how much beer was wasted, despite the price of a pint being cut from 3.40 to 2.50 on the final afternoon. Add to that about a dozen ciders. Would be surprised if they do a beer fest next Easter. Sad, as out in the sticks they must really struggle, typified by a pub in the previous village of Fryerning closed and up for sale.

Didn't try many as mentioned, but during the four days, had a few of the local ones - Crouch Vale's Citra, Bishop Nick's Heresy, and from Brentwood Brewery Company the Blonde, and Hot Cross Buns. All under 4%, and reliable as ever. Also had a sample of a Toffee Apple Cider (not the Brothers version obviously) which had good flavour, but was a bit too sharp for my liking with the aftertaste. Just a shame it was all so cold.

Car parking space is on the edge of a woodland park across the road, but not much, and the road itself isn't really wide enough to park along.

----------------------------

After work tomorrow, getting the bus to the Maldon & Dengie CAMRA festival, taking place through to Saturday at Maldon Town Hall, just off the northern end of the High Street.

In topical fashion: There's no such thing as sobriety.

Last match:
Monday 17th October 2016

Next scheduled match:

Runwell
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 19, 2013, 12:09 AM

Post #16 of 40 (15502 views)
Shortcut

Friday 12th/Saturday 13th:

Maldon & Dengie CAMRA Beer Festival
Town Hall, Market Hill, Maldon, Essex
Attendance: 3figures Friday evening, c.60 Saturday 6pm
Admission: 3 glass (refundable deposit). Free small programme included

The annual MAD beer fest at the town hall, although this is never one of my favourite CAMRA venues. Mainly because the main stage room is too small, which was reflected in the number of beers (barely 50 I would say, across the four days) and even more so with the ciders (barely a dozen?).

By the time a few of us got the bus from Chelmsford to Maldon on friday, stuff was already beginning to run out. Tried a few of the local ones, particularly some new additions from the local breweries - Farmers Ales and Red Fox had new beers. Saturday I was driving (arrived at 6 when the council car park behind the White Horse became free) so limited myself to three light halfs, but in all honesty although there were still about 20 beers on the go, choice was rather limited. The ciders were down to 3 when I arrived, and shortly after fell to 2, and by the time I left 45 minutes later one of those was on its last legs. Would be surprised if they had much left at all.

Not got my itenery in front of me, but I think this is my last Beer Fest weekend until a mad cluster of ones near me over the Whitsun BH weekend Shocked Will probably have just the one game on the saturday to squeeze in, so any starting on the wednesday should have my full undivided attention (here's hoping...).

Last match:
Monday 17th October 2016

Next scheduled match:

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 13, 2013, 12:53 AM

Post #17 of 40 (13996 views)
Shortcut

Chelmsford Summer Beer Festival
Admiral's Park

Can't give further details at the moment as my head still hurts Frown

1 WETHERSPOONS HOTEL

kirby knitters

Aug 23, 2013, 6:05 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #18 of 40 (13569 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Anyone doing the Ipswich beer festival on the Waterfront over the weekend be aware there will be no admitance on Saturday to people wearing football shirts...(day of Ipswich v Leeds game)

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 25, 2015, 10:45 AM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #19 of 40 (12650 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Went to a small beer festival at The Royal Blenheim pub, Pembroke Street, Oxford last night - run by the White Horse Brewery of Stanford-In-The-Vale, its without doubt the best pub in central Oxford, greatly helped by the fact that its one of the few never to have appeared in 'Morse' or 'Lewis' and so isn't packed with tourists and general rubberneckers.

The festival is their St.George's Day celebrations (running from Thursday 23rd to Saturday 25th).

Last night (with a little help!), I tried:

Hillfoot Bitter and American Five Hop from Blue Bee of Sheffield
Kia Kaha and Volunteer from Cwrw Ial of Denbighshire
Kia Ora from Hop Kettle of Wiltshire
Baby Ghost IPA and Grey Ghost IPA from Raw of Derbyshire
Shark Head fromSunny Republic of north Dorset
Cappuccino Stout from Titanic of Stoke-On-Trent

Anyone in the Oxford area, its the last day of the festival today.

noprogs
First Team Star

May 19, 2015, 5:27 PM

Team(s):

Post #20 of 40 (12293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friday May 15th
Berlin Braufest
Admission 2

East is the new chic in Berlin. This was held in what appeared to be a disused railway goods yard, with something of a pop-up feel. An absolute Elfn'safety nightmare too which would never pass muster in this country - nothing wrong with that then!
Beers were Craft types from all over the world, includfing Northern Monk in Holbeck about three miles from home!
It was a lot of the styles in the expensive bottled beer outlets now prevalent in city centres, all American IPA, smoked porters,bottom-fermented etc.
Finding this purely by chance when seeking pubs in Berlin, this was a great chance find.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 21, 2015, 9:57 AM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #21 of 40 (12176 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Can only recall going to two - one in Wickford about 25 years ago,
of which I have no other recollection and another was visited by chance
while on a day trip to Brighton.

Full of beer stained beards and sweaty arm pits - shocking.

Play-off programmes wanted: 2004 Basingstoke v Lewes. 2005 Droylsden v Kettering, Maldon v Barking, Maldon v Uxbridge. 2006 Brackley v Marlow, Kendal v Stocksbridge. 2007 Paulton v Taunton, Tooting v Hastings. 2008 Didcot v Oxford City, Tooting v Worthing, Sheffield v Stocksbridge. 2009 East Thurrock v Concord, Ilkeston v Kendal, Nantwich v Guiseley, Stocksbridge v Carlton. 2014 Tiverton v Paulton. 2015 Darlington v Bamber Bridge.

FA Vase semi wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

FA Trophy programmes wanted: 1969-70 Any round from first season. Have many but plenty of gaps still to fill.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 18, 2016, 1:10 PM

Post #22 of 40 (11152 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

TheWavendonian and myself are next weekend hopefully heading to...

Charlbury Beer Festival 2016
at Charlbury cricket club
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

12pm~10pm, Saturday 25th June

http://www.charlburybeerfestival.org

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 28, 2017, 4:31 PM

Post #23 of 40 (9795 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

For anyone interested, next weekend is...

Marlow BeerFest 2017
at Marlow FC football ground

http://www.marlowfc.co.uk/...st-2017-1783831.html

Friday 2nd - 4pm to 10pm
Saturday 3rd - noon to 10pm
Sunday 4th - noon to 4pm

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 5, 2018, 7:30 PM

Post #24 of 40 (8231 views)
Shortcut

TheWavendonian and me are hoping to get to...

WOBFest
West Oxford Community Centre
Botley Road
Oxford
Saturday 16th June, starting at 7pm

http://www.wobfest.org.uk

buncranaboy

Jun 5, 2018, 8:04 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #25 of 40 (8223 views)
Shortcut

Old Halesonians Rugby Club 3rd annual beer festival over the bank holiday weekend. Job done.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3