Closest railway station to London, which requires more than one change

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 14, 2012, 1:26 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #26 of 43 (1161 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Closest railway station to London, which requires more than one change [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Ah but the original question was requires MORE than 1 change, Isle Of Wight change Trains just Once but with the Ferry/Hovercraft guess that would count overall.

The original question said mainland Britain. Unless the IOW has moved...........................

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

Dec 14, 2012, 2:03 PM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #27 of 43 (1153 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Closest railway station to London, which requires more than one change [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Ah but the original question was requires MORE than 1 change, Isle Of Wight change Trains just Once but with the Ferry/Hovercraft guess that would count overall.

It would count however the original question also, cleverly, stated "Mainland Britain". Quite surprising how far from London you have to go to change twice. I reckon Cardiff Bay was the best answer.

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 14, 2012, 2:07 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #28 of 43 (1149 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] Closest railway station to London, which requires more than one change [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Only coz you read it on the 'Rail Forum'... Tongue

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

AndyE
First Team Star

Dec 14, 2012, 2:24 PM

Team(s): Chatham Town

Post #29 of 43 (1147 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kazy] Closest railway station to London, which requires more than one change [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
From the replies so far, looks like Ulceby is the winner, but as Sandhills is a major football related destination I claim a consolation prize !

Actually, you beat me good and proper. I've added up all the distances, and Sandhill is 2 miles, 17 chains nearer to London than Ulceby is.

Cardiff Bay beats either suggestion though - it's 172 miles, 14 chains from Paddington, as against Sandhills 196/23 from Euston and Ulceby 198/40 from Kings Cross.

The short trip from Cardiff Queen Street to Cardiff Bay is also one of the two remaining opportunities to travel in a Class 121 Bubblecar. Only sixteen of them were ever built, by Pressed Steel in Oxford in 1960, and three are still used on the passenger network.

Arriva Trains Wales have one for the Cardiff Bay line, Chiltern Trains have two for use between Princes Risborough and Aylesbury, and Network Rail have five. (Three mothballed, one used for route learning, and one used for Sanditing.) Three have been broken up for parts, and the other five are used on heritage railways.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 14, 2012, 2:45 PM

Post #30 of 43 (1141 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Closest railway station to London, which requires more than one change [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That must be the first time the word 'chains' in reference to
a unit of distance has ever been used on this site.

Brings back memories of abject boredom during double physics
and surveying the back of ones excercise book.

Being a football forum, perhaps we should throw leagues into
the mix...two and a half miles, no?

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 14, 2012, 5:00 PM

Post #31 of 43 (1122 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Closest railway station to London, which requires more than one change [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
That must be the first time the word 'chains' in reference to a unit of distance has ever been used on this site.

Britain's railways were measured in chains from the outset. I suspect AndyE has some Railway Clearing House maps which showed all distances thus and were used to divvy up revenues between the independent companies.

AndyE
First Team Star

Dec 14, 2012, 5:51 PM

Post #32 of 43 (1111 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Closest railway station to London, which requires more than one change [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't actually have the maps - originals are more expensive than I can really justify, and facsimiles seem a bit like cheating. But an enthusiast (a maths lecturer in Nova Scotia, of all things) has put all the distance charts on the Internet at http://www.mscs.dal.ca/~butler/miles1.lst.

But yes, miles and chains are the traditional way of measuring distances on Britain's railways. High Speed 1's official measurements are in metres, which is rubbish!

sandhurstbee
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 14, 2012, 6:49 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #33 of 43 (1096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Closest railway station to London, which requires more than one change [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

The original question said mainland Britain. Unless the IOW has moved...........................

But Burgesshillbee can walk on water....Wink

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Dec 14, 2012, 8:11 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #34 of 43 (1083 views)
Shortcut

Well i certainly travelled through enough water on the way to work this morning !

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

Dec 15, 2012, 1:11 PM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #35 of 43 (1051 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Closest railway station to London, which requires more than one change [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The short trip from Cardiff Queen Stret to Cardiff Bay is also one of the two remaining opportunities to travel in a Class 121 Bubblecar. Only sixteen of them were ever built, by Pressed Steel in Oxford in 1960, and three are still used on the passenger network.

Arriva Trains Wales have one for the Cardiff Bay line, Chiltern Trains have two for use between Princes Risborough and Aylesbury, and Network Rail have five. (Three mothballed, one used for route learning, and one used for Sanditing.) Three have been broken up for parts, and the other five are used on heritage railways.

How up to date is this info? I am notoriously unlucky for these things but the last three times I've been through Queen Street, all in the last year, this service has been in the hands of a Pacer Unit.

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

VP
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 15, 2012, 1:51 PM

Post #36 of 43 (1049 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] Closest railway station to London, which requires more than one change [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hands up who's Googled 'class 121 bubblecar' and been disappointed with the results.

I wanted something that looked like this:

sjj2112
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 15, 2012, 11:22 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alexandra, Nantwich Town, Ashford Town (Middx), Venezia

Post #37 of 43 (1024 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I don't actually have the maps - originals are more expensive than I can really justify, and facsimiles seem a bit like cheating. But an enthusiast (a maths lecturer in Nova Scotia, of all things) has put all the distance charts on the Internet at http://www.mscs.dal.ca/~butler/miles1.lst.

But yes, miles and chains are the traditional way of measuring distances on Britain's railways. High Speed 1's official measurements are in metres, which is rubbish!

I use http://mileage.railmiles.org/ to work out the distances of rail journeys that I make.

I'm a man of many anoraks.....

AndyE
First Team Star

Dec 15, 2012, 11:40 PM

Post #38 of 43 (1021 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
How up to date is this info? I am notoriously unlucky for these things but the last three times I've been through Queen Street, all in the last year, this service has been in the hands of a Pacer Unit.

I've found a reference to the 121 being in use this November. The person who says so reckons that it is the default vehicle for the Cardiff Bay service, and they only put a Pacer on either if the 121 is broken, or if it's in use for route learning somewhere else in the Valleys.

PonteCarlo
First Team Star

Dec 17, 2012, 1:06 PM

Team(s): Grimsby Town, Pontefract Collieries

Post #39 of 43 (968 views)
Shortcut

Or they put the 121 on when one of those vile rickety Pacers fails! Wink Another experience of a 144 engine failing at Leeds Saturday evening - station staff not a clue what they are doing, train crew vanished into thin air! Half an hour late again by Northern Rail, cheers boys!

Proud spectator of real football.

Hop, hop, hopping on heaven's door

dabberfan
Youth Team Regular

Dec 19, 2012, 4:19 PM

Team(s): Nantwich Town FC, Warrington Wolves RLFC, Cheshire CCC

Post #40 of 43 (919 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sjj2112] Closest railway station to London, which requires more than one change [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I use http://mileage.railmiles.org/ to work out the distances of rail journeys that I make.

As a former timetable editor (both public and working versions), I can assure you all that working out miles and chains is a time consuming exercise, especially when one finds one direction doesn't correspond with the other!

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 19, 2012, 9:41 PM

Post #41 of 43 (894 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dabberfan] Closest railway station to London, which requires more than one change [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

you try walking it pal.....

lowerbourneshot
Junior Team Star

Oct 23, 2013, 8:09 PM

Team(s): Aldershot Town Hamrun Spartans

Post #42 of 43 (636 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Closest railway station to London, which requires more than one change [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Farnborough to Farnborough North change twice at Woking then Guildford and they are only a mile apart

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 24, 2013, 7:08 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #43 of 43 (593 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lowerbourneshot] Closest railway station to London, which requires more than one change [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Windsor & Eton Central to Windsor & Eton Riverside: change three times - train to Slough, train to Paddington, Bakerloo Line to Waterloo, train to W&E Riverside.

Or: change three times - train to Slough, train to Reading, train to Staines, train to W&E Riverside.

National Rail Enquiries says its a ten minute walk, but personally I reckon its less than five.

(This post was edited by oxpete on Oct 24, 2013, 7:10 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3