Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
The curse of Virgin Trains

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 12, 2013, 9:59 AM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #1 of 44 (3021 views)
Shortcut
The curse of Virgin Trains Can't Post or Reply Privately

Every time I travel on this line its buggered! Frown
(Anyone reading this now and planning to go through Birmingham or Coventry might want to avoid it!)

Does anyone else suffer a travel jinx on a particular line?

643 GROUNDS - Milton Keynes Robins (61/92)
582 WETHERSPOONS - Lytham
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

(This post was edited by LondonBuck on Oct 12, 2013, 10:11 AM)

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 12, 2013, 10:10 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #2 of 44 (3013 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] The curse of Vigin Trains [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
(Anyone reading this now and planning to go through Birmingham or Coventry might want to avoid it!)

Hope your ok for getting up to Shrewsbury mate?if you can get to Birmingham International there is an hourly service to your said destination with Arriva Trains Wales.Probably not alot of help but ive had lots of problems in the past with Virgin in the areas you mention.

villahopper
First Team Star

Oct 12, 2013, 10:15 AM

Team(s): Aston Villa Bromsgrove Sporting New York Jets

Post #3 of 44 (3009 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] The curse of Vigin Trains [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not quite sure you can blame Virgin for an axle counter failure. But all seems to be OK now.

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 12, 2013, 10:17 AM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #4 of 44 (3009 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] The curse of Vigin Trains [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Hope your ok for getting up to Shrewsbury mate?if you can get to Birmingham International there is an hourly service to your said destination with Arriva Trains Wales.Probably not alot of help but ive had lots of problems in the past with Virgin in the areas you mention.

Unfortunately the problems are before International, I'm OK for time so far Unsure

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 12, 2013, 10:21 AM

Post #5 of 44 (3006 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villahopper] The curse of Vigin Trains [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Not quite sure you can blame Virgin for an axle counter failure. But all seems to be OK now.

No, its another Network Rail job, but always on this line! Frown
Not OK from where I'm sitting Mad

villahopper
First Team Star

Oct 12, 2013, 10:27 AM

Team(s): Aston Villa Bromsgrove Sporting New York Jets

Post #6 of 44 (2999 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] The curse of Vigin Trains [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

What I meant by OK now is that the axle counters have reset OK and the line is now able to operate normally. So there will be no lasting delays for the rest of the day once the current backlog has cleared

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 12, 2013, 10:29 AM

Post #7 of 44 (2998 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villahopper] The curse of Vigin Trains [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
What I meant by OK now is that the axle counters have reset OK and the line is now able to operate normally. So there will be no lasting delays for the rest of the day once the current backlog has cleared

Pleased to hear it!
I got more information on here than I did on their website! Just shows what a good forum this is Wink

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 12, 2013, 6:13 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #8 of 44 (2967 views)
Shortcut

I avoid Virgin Trains at all costs but in fairness they can't be blamed for the railway infrastructure.

Hope you got there ok, shame about the result, fans calling for Martin Allen's head on Radio KentUnsure

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 12, 2013, 6:55 PM

Post #9 of 44 (2961 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] The curse of Vigin Trains [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I avoid Virgin Trains at all costs but in fairness they can't be blamed for the railway infrastructure.

Hope you got there ok, shame about the result, fans calling for Martin Allen's head on Radio KentUnsure

Return train departed four minutes late from Wolverhampton for which there was no reason. Pirate

Perhaps Martin Allen should manage Virgin Trains and Richard Branson, Gillingham! Problem solved Sly

(This post was edited by LondonBuck on Oct 12, 2013, 6:56 PM)

UKPunk

Oct 12, 2013, 10:45 PM

Post #10 of 44 (2927 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Pleased to hear it!
I got more information on here than I did on their website! Just shows what a good forum this is Wink

It also shows how p*ss poor the information feed is on our railways. Crazy

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Sussexhopper
First Team Star

Oct 13, 2013, 9:52 AM

Team(s): Worthing Brighton Burnley

Post #11 of 44 (2894 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] The curse of Vigin Trains [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I find Virgin one of the best from past experiences along with Southern. Several times for circumstances out of there control the last train back to London has been delayed and I've never had a problem with them organising a taxi back to Worthing.
XCountry trains on the other hand Unsure

KnowYourMarket

Oct 15, 2013, 8:37 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #12 of 44 (2825 views)
Shortcut

That's why HS2 is needed, to free up capacity on the WCML.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

Isaac

Oct 15, 2013, 8:51 AM

Post #13 of 44 (2821 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sussexhopper] The curse of Vigin Trains [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I find Virgin one of the best from past experiences along with Southern. Several times for circumstances out of there control the last train back to London has been delayed and I've never had a problem with them organising a taxi back to Worthing.
XCountry trains on the other hand Unsure

There is a legal requirement to get passengers to their final destination in such circumstances.

I've had a taxi home from Kings Cross paid for by GNER.

kirby knitters

Oct 15, 2013, 9:40 AM

Post #14 of 44 (2815 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] The curse of Vigin Trains [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

With the financial penalties that can be imposed for holding back trains it can be alot cheaper just to put people in a cab to their final destination.

Ropemaker

Oct 15, 2013, 10:02 AM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #15 of 44 (2807 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
With the financial penalties that can be imposed for holding back trains it can be alot cheaper just to put people in a cab to their final destination.

"Good old British Rail" had it's faults, but there was also a fair chance of trains being held for a couple of minutes to allow connections to be made if an incoming train was running a bit late.

Nowadays, no chance.

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

KnowYourMarket

Oct 15, 2013, 12:19 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #16 of 44 (2791 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] The curse of Vigin Trains [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'd like to travel by train more often. Problem is the network is creaking, regularity and punctuality of service is fine but the rolling stock is not up to the job. Trains are too small, rolling stock bought on the cheap.

My alternative is to get a comfortable seat in my car, I can then listen to inane chat on the radio that I can switch off rather than the inane chat on the train. If there are delays on my route this will probably mean a small diversion rather than a military plan of which train to catch where and hope the guard is aware of delays on services not pertaining to his employer.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

Isaac

Oct 15, 2013, 1:05 PM

Post #17 of 44 (2774 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] The curse of Vigin Trains [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'd like to travel by train more often. Problem is the network is creaking, regularity and punctuality of service is fine but the rolling stock is not up to the job. Trains are too small, rolling stock bought on the cheap.

My alternative is to get a comfortable seat in my car, I can then listen to inane chat on the radio that I can switch off rather than the inane chat on the train. If there are delays on my route this will probably mean a small diversion rather than a military plan of which train to catch where and hope the guard is aware of delays on services not pertaining to his employer.

So would I, I find train travel far more relaxing than driving and in fairness I've had numerous journies where everything has gone to plan but when it goes wrong it really goes wrong

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

Oct 15, 2013, 6:57 PM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #18 of 44 (2743 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] The curse of Vigin Trains [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Pleased to hear it!

It also shows how p*ss poor the information feed is on our railways. Crazy

Indeed. Be very careful in particular relying on TOC and NR "Twitter" feeds. You may think that due to the nature of the medium they are likely to be more up to date but no. Last week at work they were still telling people not to travel via the Severn Tunnel two hours after it was clear. I have also been sent into a blocked line by XCountry in the past, when my own instincts told me it was poor advice.

Fortunately I never have to use the WCML where I live. The bottom end does seem to have a terrible service, although to be fair mostly not down to the Operators, the top end has too few trains on it to be of much use, and that IS more Virgin's fault.

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 26, 2013, 12:18 PM

Post #19 of 44 (2596 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] The curse of Vigin Trains [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Curse those damn Virgin Trains! Unimpressed

garethwrexy

Oct 26, 2013, 12:48 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #20 of 44 (2591 views)
Shortcut

I like virgin trains, used them a lot over the years and they have been ok,

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

kirby knitters

Oct 26, 2013, 2:05 PM

Post #21 of 44 (2584 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Has something else gone wrong down WCML way?

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 26, 2013, 2:22 PM

Post #22 of 44 (2580 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

It was a close shave, but I'll let them off on this occasion, there's always the return journey Sly

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 26, 2013, 3:01 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #23 of 44 (2576 views)
Shortcut

Daughter and friend have just got to Wolverhampton with no probs but the language barrier has
caused a few problems.

They want to get a bus to Brewood but kept pronouncing it as it looks - eventually all sorted.

Seven buses a day and nothing on a Sunday - talk about the dark ages....

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 26, 2013, 6:09 PM

Post #24 of 44 (2564 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

What was that I said about the return journey! CrazyFrown

kirby knitters

Oct 26, 2013, 7:31 PM

Post #25 of 44 (2549 views)
Shortcut

You cant leave it like that Buck!you get on a Pendolino at Stoke and get off at Euston,it doesnt even go via Birmingham!What can possibly go wrong?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3