First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 4, 2013, 2:45 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #1 of 73 (10579 views)
Shortcut
Closed/disused railway lines Can't Post or Reply Privately

This week marks the 50th anniversary of the closure of the Havant-to-Hayling Island branch line, affectionately known as the Hayling Billy.

Here is some footage, shot in the summer of 1963:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1ZcFLJFGDM

I used to do school cross-country running along the track-bed back in the early 1980s. The track itself had been dismantled by then, but there were still plenty of old trackside signs and a couple of old signals in place, and the old platforms at South Hayling stayed in place up until the late 1980s.

These days, it has been paved over as a cycle path, though the concrete platforms of the bridge across to Hayling Island can still be seen at low tide, and the engine shed at South Hayling is a local theatre.

Anyone else have pictures of old lines from their parts of the country?

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 4, 2013, 3:03 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #2 of 73 (10570 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Closed/disused railway lines [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Theres thousands of miles of disused lines up and down the UK.Julia Bradbury hosted a really good TV series on walks you can do along stretches of them.I have some photos of the local station which was shut in 66,there are stil goods trains that use the line but alas no passenger service.

bakis
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 4, 2013, 3:35 PM

Team(s): Kidderminster Harriers

Post #3 of 73 (10558 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Closed/disused railway lines [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
This week marks the 50th anniversary of the closure of the Havant-to-Hayling Island branch line, affectionately known as the Hayling Billy.

I used to do school cross-country running along the track-bed back in the early 1980s. The track itself had been dismantled by then, but there were still plenty of old trackside signs and a couple of old signals in place, and the old platforms at South Hayling stayed in place up until the late 1980s.

These days, it has been paved over as a cycle path, though the concrete platforms of the bridge across to Hayling Island can still be seen at low tide, and the engine shed at South Hayling is a local theatre.

Anyone else have pictures of old lines from their parts of the country?

Happy memories. I remember a day trip to Hayling on Whit Monday 1963. the 'intensive' service involving three locos and coach sets gave two trains an hour, one of which stopped at the intermediate stations. Run faultlessly with 90 year old locos, two of which thankfully have been preserved (32670 on the KESR & 32640 aka W11 on the IOWR). Southdown 'Queen Mary' in the background at one point too.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 4, 2013, 3:57 PM

Post #4 of 73 (10552 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bakis] Closed/disused railway lines [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Happy memories. I remember a day trip to Hayling on Whit Monday 1963. the 'intensive' service involving three locos and coach sets gave two trains an hour, one of which stopped at the intermediate stations. Run faultlessly with 90 year old locos, two of which thankfully have been preserved (32670 on the KESR & 32640 aka W11 on the IOWR). Southdown 'Queen Mary' in the background at one point too.

The main reason given for the line's closure was the crumbling state of the bridge across Langstone Harbour, a decision that did very well for the bus companies who could then take all of the trade in running holiday makers over to Hayling Island's many holiday camps. By the sunny 1970s, I can remember traffic jams running from the funfair on the seafront all the way back to Havant (over six miles), such were the crowds making there way to the beach by road.

I think that all four(?) locos running on the line at its time of closure in 1963 are still in existance. During the 1970s and 1980s, I can remember seeing one on them sat on a concrete plinth in the beer garden of the Hayling Billy pub.

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 5, 2013, 5:58 AM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #5 of 73 (10486 views)
Shortcut

I believe Whiskey Coates of this forum has a link to an excellent website about disused stations on his profile Cool
The Hayling Island feature is here..
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/...g_island/index.shtml

637 GROUNDS - AFC Fylde(61/92)
582 WETHERSPOONS - Lytham
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

(This post was edited by LondonBuck on Nov 5, 2013, 7:22 AM)

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

Nov 5, 2013, 1:02 PM

Team(s): Bridlington Town, Sheffield Wednesday, Scarborough FC.

Post #6 of 73 (10439 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Closed/disused railway lines [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I believe Whiskey Coates of this forum has a link to an excellent website about disused stations on his profile Cool

Indeed... http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/sites.shtml Although London Buck has already provided a link to the site.

For Fbook users there's also https://www.facebook.com/groups/128305767323978/ and my local Fbook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/453813081355784/ Cool.
Not walking groups as such, but no doubt many of the closed lines will still be walkable. Or just nice to look at the photo's.

Regarding railway walks, not that many (walkable) disused railway lines around here, but done three over the last couple of years and taken a few pics along the way (with a fellow TK Forum member). Hull to Hornsea, Beverley to Market Weighton and Whitby to Scarborough. All lovely in their own way.

By the way, I did walk across my local Tesco car park yesterday, which is the old Bridlington station goods yard. Does that count as a railway walk? Wink

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

Nov 5, 2013, 1:06 PM

Post #7 of 73 (10436 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Closed/disused railway lines [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Julia Bradbury hosted a really good TV series on walks you can do along stretches of them.

I've seen her Wainwright's Walks and Canal Walks, but never realised she'd done a series on Railway Walks. Will have to look out for the repeats (I'm presuming BBC 4)?

kirby knitters

Nov 5, 2013, 1:13 PM

Post #8 of 73 (10431 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Whiskey Coates] Closed/disused railway lines [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Julia Bradbury hosted a really good TV series on walks you can do along stretches of them.

I've seen her Wainwright's Walks and Canal Walks, but never realised she'd done a series on Railway Walks. Will have to look out for the repeats (I'm presuming BBC 4)?

Yes think they were on BBC4 there was really good one in the Scottish Highlands where she did disused lines which were once really busy with the whisky trains

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 5, 2013, 4:18 PM

Post #9 of 73 (10398 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Closed/disused railway lines [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Yes think they were on BBC4 there was really good one in the Scottish Highlands where she did disused lines which were once really busy with the whisky trains

And can be watched without turning down the volume...

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 5, 2013, 4:27 PM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #10 of 73 (10395 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Whiskey Coates] Closed/disused railway lines [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Also available on DVD either singly or in a set with Canal walks. Wink

637 GROUNDS - AFC Fylde(61/92)
582 WETHERSPOONS - Lytham
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

villahopper
First Team Star

Nov 5, 2013, 8:51 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa Bromsgrove Sporting New York Jets

Post #11 of 73 (10369 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Closed/disused railway lines [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Walking alone disused railway lines is good. Walking along in service railway lines not so much. Taking your dog for walk in the 4 foot on a main line positively suicidal

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 6, 2013, 9:52 AM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #12 of 73 (10333 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villahopper] Closed/disused railway lines [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

1977-92 I live in a village called Catworth (between Raunds and Huntingdon) and although I drove past what people still referred to as Kimbolton Station thousands of times, I don't remember ever walking along any of the disused railway there. Had a quick look os Google satellite view and the trace of the track between Raunds and Huntingdon is still very much there with the odd exception (part of a junction at the A1; disappeared into fields here and there).

The Didcot to Newbury line is another intriguing one on the map, very sinuous. Have walked a small stretch just S of Didcot but might look out for more, up in the hills. Will probably get run over by a lycra-clad moron on a mountain bike, but never mind.

My late parents lived in Moretonhampstead and the disused line down to Bovey Tracey was being made more of as a trail when I was last there, with a bridge reinstated IIRC. Very scenic. I once read an anecdote that sounded like something out of a Thomas book, a train's brakes being left off in Moreton and it rolled back down to Bovey.

Near where I work the Marlow branch line is incredibly quiet (train every 30 mins at a guess) and I've stood in the middle of the tracks taking in the view from pedestrian crossings, of which there are many.

kirby knitters

Nov 6, 2013, 10:08 AM

Post #13 of 73 (10326 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Had a quick look and she did a 6 part series on Railway Walks 1-The Peak Express 2-Discover Snowdonia 3-The Birth of Steam 4-The Whisky Train 5-Harbouring History 6-Gateway To The Highlands---All shown BBC 4

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 6, 2013, 10:18 AM

Post #14 of 73 (10325 views)
Shortcut

Never quite decided if Julia Bradbury is fancyable or not.

kirby knitters

Nov 6, 2013, 10:29 AM

Post #15 of 73 (10323 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oxford Stone] Closed/disused railway lines [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Never quite decided if Julia Bradbury is fancyable or not.

She did a travel show on C5 a few years back and went to steaming hot destinations and you would certainly have put her in the former if you had watched itSly

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 6, 2013, 10:41 AM

Post #16 of 73 (10319 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oxford Stone] Closed/disused railway lines [In reply to] Can't Post or

I have been to a two grounds this season that are very near to the disused Didcot - Newbury to Southampton line.
The new club in the North Berks League Didcot Eagles play at a ground which is accessed by going over a bridge over said line, or Google Earth shows that you do.
At Compton which had a station on the line you actually have a sign to Churn, which was a holt on the line.
Just South of Newbury Burghclere's ground is only a few hundred yards from the line just south of Newbury.
In places the A34 is actually built on the track bed.
As an aside I prefer the rear view of Julie Bradbury.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 6, 2013, 10:58 AM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #17 of 73 (10315 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oxford Stone] Closed/disused railway lines [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bats for both sides methinks....also, I can imagine her bathroom being full up with tubes
of Immac and Veet.....

A world without Hod.....I'm lovin' this

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 6, 2013, 11:57 AM

Post #18 of 73 (10303 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Closed/disused railway lines [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This little film may well bring tears to the eyes of Wishmaster! Four young Cotswold children catch the last train from Lechlade to Witney in 1961...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb8_wC9OcDY

Great shots of some hush-hush goings-on at RAF Brize Norton near the end.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 6, 2013, 12:15 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #19 of 73 (10293 views)
Shortcut

I suppose we were quite lucky around this way in '64 as the Wickford-Southminster and Romford-Upminster
lines both avoided the chop for some reason....

I love the former, some great little stop off points on the way with some terrific pubs too...

The latter serves a purpose but will never amount to anything bigger because of the District Line
tracks preventing the line joining up with C2C at Upminster.

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

acmold

Nov 6, 2013, 2:08 PM

Post #20 of 73 (10269 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Closed/disused railway lines [In reply to] Can't Post or

Or even Fairford, the line was meant to go from Oxford to Cirencester via Witney and Fairford but the third section in Gloucestershire was never built. These days Ciren is without a station (Kemble being the nearest) and if the line was built and still existed it would be a useful avoiding line as well as linking Oxford to Cheltenham and Gloucester by a more direct route than going via Swindon or Worcester.

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

Nov 6, 2013, 4:02 PM

Post #21 of 73 (10250 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Had a quick look and she did a 6 part series on Railway Walks 1-The Peak Express 2-Discover Snowdonia 3-The Birth of Steam 4-The Whisky Train 5-Harbouring History 6-Gateway To The Highlands---All shown BBC 4

Cheers KK, found all 6 episodes on YouTube. Should keep me busy at work tonight Wink.

acmold

Nov 6, 2013, 6:56 PM

Post #22 of 73 (10228 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Whiskey Coates] Closed/disused railway lines [In reply to] Can't Post or

Think Yesterday http://yesterday.uktv.co.uk/
have or will show them at some time, certainly shown other shows by her of that ilk

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 7, 2013, 10:07 AM

Post #23 of 73 (10188 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Closed/disused railway lines [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The old Abingdon branch line is walkable if not terribly exciting, from Waitrose all the way to the main line. Geocaching has taken me there and to the missing link between Bourne End and Loudwater (Marlow and Wycombe area) to the long-gone Wooburn Green station.

One that always fascinated me was the remnants of track from the granite quarries on Haytor, on Dartmoor. The rails themselves are made out of granite.

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Nov 7, 2013, 10:46 AM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #24 of 73 (10184 views)
Shortcut

Walking/researching old railway lines and finding the sites of old railway stations is also one of my hobbies.

We have a lot of disused railway lines in South Hampshire, some made into bridleways/cycle paths, some not.

A few worth looking at if you're in the area (some near football grounds, of course) include:

Meon Valley Line (walkable Knowle-West Meon)
Hayling line (as already mentioned - walkable in entirety)
Fareham - Gosport/Stokes Bay (part express bus line, part cycleways)
'Sprat and Winkle' line (Romsey to Andover, some walkable)
Winchester-Newbury/Didcot (a nice walk from Hockley Viaduct west of Winchester into the city, some walkable further north)
Bishops' Waltham to Botley (first part walkable)
Alton to Basingstoke (yes, I know, it's in North Hampshire - some walkable, can be combined with a trip on the Watercress line)

Coming from London, I also have done/do the same up there. In Central London it's more tracing individual stations rather than whole lines.
One of my most recent walks there was the disused Mill Hill East - Edgware line. Following it through a nature reserve and finding it closed at the far end, so having to come back, was interesting...

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

Ropemaker

Nov 7, 2013, 11:59 AM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #25 of 73 (10170 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Closed/disused railway lines [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The old "Cuckoo Line" in Sussex, which ran between Heathfield and Polegate via Hailsham is now the "Cuckoo Trail" for walkers and cyclists.

Nice walk, old signals etc. to see en-route.

But no trains Frown

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3