Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
I don't believe it

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 7, 2013, 11:46 AM

Post #1 of 12 (2494 views)
Shortcut
I don't believe it Can't Post or

Was in our one remaining Post Office the other day there was an old lady in front of me. When "would the next customer" announcement was made she failed to move. Eventually someone had to tell her, bit deaf me dear she said. She was taxing her car, Post Office lady said hello "third time lucky?". Old Lady produced a tax renewal form which was in tatters, "sorry me dear one of the dogs got it". PO lady "how many dogs have you got", "five" said the old lady - "they chew all the post up and they are ever so expensive to keep". "I will try and scan the barcode" said the PO lady, "have you got your MOT today". "Yes" said old lady, "sorry that one is out of date" says PO lady. "You want the new one" says old Lady, "yes it would help" says PO lady. "I'd forgotten to renew the MOT it had run out you know", "here's the new one". PO lady "you got your insurance today", "yes here it is" says old lady. "You know it ran out in February" says PO lady, "no" says old lady "no told me". PO Lady "let me check on the computer", "no you don't seem to have any current insurance". "Can I still tax the car" says the old lady, "no sorry you need insurance" says PO lady. "No one told me it had run out" says old lady, "do they tell you". "Did they not send you a reminder in the post" says PO lady, "may have" says old lady "but if the dogs get to it they chew it up". "Maybe fourth time lucky next time" says PO lady, "better dive home now and see if I can sort it out" says old lady. "You know you are not insured and your tax ran out last week" says PO lady. And so it went on.

Isaac

Nov 7, 2013, 12:56 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #2 of 12 (2477 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] I don't believe it [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Perhaps a basket on her to door to catch the letters in might help?Wink

VP

Nov 7, 2013, 4:30 PM

Post #3 of 12 (2439 views)
Shortcut

Poor old dear.
I do itonline these days. A couple of years ago I was going through it but the computer said 'no' as I had no MOT.
Absolute rubbish, I thought, I only got it done about 6 months ago. Went through me drawer and found my last MOT certificate. It had expired six months earlier. Turns out I hadn't had one done for 18 months.
Two things - one is - doesn't time fly by as you're getting older?
The second one - they remind you about your insurance and your tax - why don't they do it for MOTs as well?

acmold

Nov 7, 2013, 6:58 PM

Post #4 of 12 (2415 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] I don't believe it [In reply to] Can't Post or

It's so easy online, takes 2 minutes max. Though standing in the Post Office queue you do wonder if many of those who are trying to get theirs done over the counter have already tried online and have a problem and hope the staff at the Post Office won't notice. I have certainly noticed of late maybe a good 50% plus or more are rejected by the PO staff.

Isaac

Nov 7, 2013, 7:05 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #5 of 12 (2412 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] I don't believe it [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The garage where we get the car done sends out reminders but it is something easily overlooked.

We've got a poor old dear down the road from us, she's forever calling the police to report non existent crimes, the fire brigade were round here at 3am the other night.

(This post was edited by Isaac on Nov 7, 2013, 7:08 PM)

acmold

Nov 7, 2013, 9:36 PM

Post #6 of 12 (2389 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] I don't believe it [In reply to] Can't Post or

Used to have a sticker put somewhere on the window with the date the MOT ran out.
My current car is the first one for years that has needed an MOT, but as it was purchased from a main dealership they Email and call me when both service and MOT are due.

Mega Hot tea
Reserve Team Sub

Nov 7, 2013, 9:43 PM

Team(s): Kidderminster Harriers & Boreham Wood

Post #7 of 12 (2385 views)
Shortcut

Bloody typical old people, they dont know they are born some of them always dilly dallying around! Every day it seems I always see a group of them loitering at a Bus stop just sitting about chatting. Hardly any of them work you know, they expect the government to give them hand outs!

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 7, 2013, 11:11 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #8 of 12 (2372 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mega Hot tea] I don't believe it [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Old people do old shit - and what's it with telling the person serving them in a shop
their life story or latest ailments?

They suddenly stop in the street for no particular reason (mind you Northerners do
that here, as well as standing on the left of the Tube escalators - this is London...
learn the rules before you come).

DQ, aged 61 and a quarter... Tongue

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

mr creosote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 8, 2013, 9:30 AM

Team(s): Grays Athletic, Haverhill Rovers

Post #9 of 12 (2339 views)
Shortcut

I've worked in post offices (proper ones, not the ones that have been franchised and shoved in the back of a WH Smith) for over 35 years, and when i first joined I was told to give customers, especially elderly ones, as much time as they need. Sometimes we are the only person they speak to that week. It is a community aspect that is sadly being forced out by the constant drive to increase sales and move people on quickly if there is no value in it.

The craving for the business to get to their unachievable target of break even by March 2015 has seen PO put up another 70 offices for franchise, with a loss of approx 800 jobs. TUPE is an option, but worthless in my opinion. Businesses only take on a franckise in order to attract more footfall to their retail operation. Customer service is not the main priority.

PO also intend to triple the number of Post & Go machines in offices and reduce even further the number of clerks on the counter. Who, then, will this elderly customer turn for help?

Just one issue with the OP - the computer system on POs can check if an MOT is in date, but not insurance.

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 8, 2013, 8:49 PM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #10 of 12 (2286 views)
Shortcut

I'm glad I don't drive!
I just hope I'm safe on the pavement Unsure

637 GROUNDS - AFC Fylde(61/92)
582 WETHERSPOONS - Lytham
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 8, 2013, 8:58 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #11 of 12 (2281 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] I don't believe it [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Me neither...

a) coz I can drink to my heart's content...
b) just one day of Runwell's weekly run-ins on the road would cause me to self harm...
c) and just wait until I get my freedom pass next year..revenge will be thine.. Sly

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

Loiner
First Team Star

Nov 8, 2013, 11:06 PM

Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #12 of 12 (2267 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] I don't believe it [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'm glad I don't drive!
I just hope I'm safe on the pavement Unsure

Watch out for cyclists on the pavementAngelic

free hit counters