Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
Is this the world's most Northerly Football Ground?

Steelback
First Team Star

Nov 15, 2013, 8:09 PM

Team(s): Northamptonshire Steelbacks : Peterborough United : San Francisco 49ers

Post #1 of 19 (15257 views)
Shortcut
Is this the world's most Northerly Football Ground? Can't Post or Reply Privately

Was bored in work today and a mate and I reckon this is the world's most Northerly Senior Football Ground in regular use.

Hammerfest FK in Norway

'Little' Northamptonshire Steelbacks 2013 & 2016 T20 CHAMPIONS

(This post was edited by Steelback on Nov 15, 2013, 8:10 PM)

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 15, 2013, 9:36 PM

Post #2 of 19 (15241 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steelback] Is this the world's most Northerly Football Ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FK Honningsvåg is further north:

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

Nov 16, 2013, 11:14 AM

Team(s): Malvern Town F,C,

Post #3 of 19 (15187 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steelback] Is this the world's most Northerly Football Ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Been trying to get info./pics. for Qaanaaq, a football club in Greenland & for Longyearben, a football club in Svalbard. The former is supposedly a competitive team in Greenland's miniscule league, while the latter plays just friendlies versus scratch-sides.

Professional cretin.

(This post was edited by Mister TwoU on Nov 16, 2013, 11:15 AM)

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Nov 16, 2013, 5:38 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #4 of 19 (15158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mister TwoU] Is this the world's most Northerly Football Ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Longyearben has got to be the northernmost, if it exists. Looking at Google Earth, the following caught my eye, as it seems to be the right shape and size to be a football ground. It's on the southwestern end of town, and if is the ground, would be at 78 degrees, 12 minutes North.

(edit)
oops, didn't seem to want to be included inline. Try this?

(This post was edited by Andrelux on Nov 16, 2013, 5:46 PM)
Attachments: Longyearben.PNG (216 KB)

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Nov 16, 2013, 6:06 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #5 of 19 (15151 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] Is this the world's most Northerly Football Ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Regarding football on Spitsbergen (or Svalbard), I've found the following post:

Football is the most common popular sport in Norway, and Longyearbyen has three football pitches; 1 "ballbinge", an enclosed area for children's football, and 2 small football pitches for plays and training, one larger than the other. They are all located behind the Longyearbyen school. They play during winters on a good snow cover and during summers when the ground has dried up after the snow melt. If you are stuck (plane delay, ship), waiting for a new job or want to work up a sweat, bring a ball and try kicking around here.

Football training and tournaments are organised by Svalbard Turn. Longyearbyen has a supporter club for English football, and the Longyearbyen plays against Barentsburg 4 times a year. The Longyearbyen tournament between local company also runs somewhat irregularily.

The only photo of Longyearben I've found is the following:

There's also a picture of the ground in Barentsburg (slightly further south, but still on Svalbard)

If the inline stuff doesn't appear, see attachments
Attachments: 4037025-Goalie_but_no_players_after_all_its_midnight_Svalbard.jpg (126 KB)
  barentsburgs-football-pitch-barentsburg.jpg (96.4 KB)

coops
First Team Sub

Nov 17, 2013, 12:49 PM

Team(s): Tamworth

Post #6 of 19 (15087 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] Is this the world's most Northerly Football Ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Come on then, most southerly, someone on here will know I'm sure.

ciderjon
First Team Star

Nov 17, 2013, 7:17 PM

Team(s): Bristol Sonics RL (RIP)

Post #7 of 19 (15056 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coops] Is this the world's most Northerly Football Ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There have been many instances of games being organised in Antartica. ice football etc but I think these should be discounted as not in regular use.

So to the tip of South America for regular use grounds, I know there is a rugby ground in Ushuaia which has ,amongst other things,an annual RU sevens tournament. Further south still, although not open age there's a primary school with a football pitch in Puerto Williams apparently.

Just pointers gleaned from conversations in the past on this very subject, maybe someone On here has been, that's usually the case!

Last new Welsh beer: Brew Monster Rye IPA dr

(This post was edited by ciderjon on Nov 17, 2013, 7:28 PM)

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 18, 2013, 9:12 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #8 of 19 (14970 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ciderjon] Is this the world's most Northerly Football Ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There is a football pitch on South Georgia. Close to Grytviken Dock, there is an area marked as "Fotballbanen" (Norwegian for football field) on Google Maps. This is roughly on the same latitude as Cape Horn. Can't imagine it gets much use, though.

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 18, 2013, 9:16 PM

Post #9 of 19 (14966 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Is this the world's most Northerly Football Ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And here's a picture of it -

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 18, 2013, 11:12 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #10 of 19 (14943 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Is this the world's most Northerly Football Ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Excellent photo, which website did you get it from? I would suspect that the goalposts (which look a bit like old-fashioned Scottish ones) may have been put up around 1982 when there were a lot of British troops on the islands as a result of the Falklands war.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 18, 2013, 11:16 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #11 of 19 (14938 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Is this the world's most Northerly Football Ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Meanwhile, back up north in Ny Alesund, Svalbard

(This post was edited by buncranaboy on Nov 18, 2013, 11:16 PM)

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 18, 2013, 11:28 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #12 of 19 (14928 views)
Shortcut

Football "ground" in Longyearbyen, though Ny Alesund is 107 km further north

sandhurstbee

Nov 19, 2013, 1:10 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #13 of 19 (14868 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
And here's a picture of it -

Pitch looks like The Baseball ground in the 1970`s Tongue

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Nov 19, 2013, 3:50 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #14 of 19 (14843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coops] Is this the world's most Northerly Football Ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Come on then, most southerly, someone on here will know I'm sure.

Bishop's Stortford? Wink

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 19, 2013, 7:03 PM

Post #15 of 19 (14820 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Is this the world's most Northerly Football Ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Excellent photo, which website did you get it from?

Website? I took it myself, when I went to watch Grytviken Whalers v South Sandwich Islanders in the Semi Final of the South Atlantic Challenge Trophy in 1993. Whalers won 9-6 aet, no admission charge or programme, attendance 12. Here's an action shot from the game -

Kudos to the visitors for turning up in matching kit. I left on the first boat after the final whistle, but the visitors weren't as lucky. They stayed behind for post-match refreshments and ended up fog-bound for a month. Can you imagine it? Stuck for a month living off whale blubber and constantly taunted with "Can we play you every week?" from the victors Unsure. Anyway, Whalers lost the final to Falkland Penguins, who got there when their Argentinian semi-final opponents (Inter Malvinas) scratched before a ball was kicked.

Sadly, none of the above is true. The photo was on Soccerway -
http://uk.soccerway.com/...iken-football-pitch/

Chris1963

Nov 19, 2013, 7:30 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #16 of 19 (14812 views)
Shortcut

Blimey, I knew Soccerway was a good site, but I didn't know it was THAT good! But one question - exactly where on Soccerway do you find that photo? I've just tried the 'Venues' section on the site but although there is a long drop-down list of countries to choose from, it doesn't return any search results (and South Georgina isn't in the list anyway.)

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Nov 19, 2013, 7:30 PM)

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 19, 2013, 7:38 PM

Post #17 of 19 (14808 views)
Shortcut

I just did a Google Image search for "Grytviken football", and that was the first hit. No idea how to get to the photo from the Soccerway home page.

Steelback
First Team Star

Nov 20, 2013, 8:25 PM

Team(s): Northamptonshire Steelbacks : Peterborough United : San Francisco 49ers

Post #18 of 19 (14745 views)
Shortcut

Select Great Britain from the drop down then type Grytviken and click the link

'Little' Northamptonshire Steelbacks 2013 & 2016 T20 CHAMPIONS

UKPunk

Nov 20, 2013, 10:36 PM

Post #19 of 19 (14732 views)
Shortcut

Spectacular background. Volcanic rock as a backdrop. You won't get that at Wembley!

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3