Home: Non League Football Information: History:
East Anglian Cup

TAWMAN
Junior Team Star

Jan 6, 2015, 4:22 PM

Post #1 of 3 (3679 views)
Shortcut
East Anglian Cup Can't Post or Reply Privately

Has a history been written about the East Anglian Cup, including a comprehensive list of matches/scores?

I'm interested in two matches apparently played between Bourne Town and Norwich City at Carrow Road in the late 1970s/early 1980s. According to a former Bourne player, one of them was won 10-0 by Norwich (John Fashanu scoring 5) and the other won by Bourne 2-1. Can anyone confirm this or point me in the right direction? Thanks.

PhilT
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 6, 2015, 8:10 PM

Team(s): Peterborough United

Post #2 of 3 (3644 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TAWMAN] East Anglian Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was a Bourne regular up to 78-9, and I don't recall any games against Norwich in that period.

However I can give you a date for the 10-0, which was 7th September 1981 (a Monday evening). This is from a Bourne programme of a couple of Saturdays later. There is reference to a home match vs Norwich in the EA Cup in a programme from the start of that season, but that match was postponed. Whether the game at Carrow Road was a replay or whether they just changed the venue I don't know.

I can't find any reference of the other tie, but my attendance dropped drastically through the 80s as I moved away from the town, so I don't have as many programmes to refer to.

Ronald Price
Youth Team Star

Jan 8, 2015, 3:13 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 3 (2767 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TAWMAN] East Anglian Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The East Anglian Cup as knockout competition began in 1921 (some of its later years a round robin + knockout). Previously it was awarded to the winners of the Senior section of the East Anglian League (formed 1903/4).

I have a small insert containing a one-page history and some stats (pertaining to 1997/98). The PDF is too large to attach - so if interested please contact me.

I attach the finals from the same insert plus others I collated. If Neil Harvey is a forum member - he should be able to help further.

Ron Price
Attachments: East Anglian Finals.xlsx (13.7 KB)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3