Looking after the Pennies

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 24, 2015, 9:54 AM

Post #1 of 46 (5173 views)
Shortcut
Looking after the Pennies Can't Post or

Have had trouble with my Nectar card the balance on line never seems the same as it is at Sainsbury's self check out, anyway last Sunday I knew I had £2.50 and I had double Nectar points on fuel so I topped up. The till spewed out loads of vouchers, usually they are useless but these were useable plus one was for £3 off any £30 shop. Yesterday someone said they needed some new trousers and I needed some shopping so we went off to Sainsbury's. On arrival there was a notice saying all cloths 25% off. I did my shopping while the other person looked for her trousers. I of course did my shop far quicker!. As we went to the till I said put everything through together so I get the Nectar points. I had used all my vouchers in my shopping and amazingly for Sainsbury's the items were available and the coupons scanned and the 25% came off the trousers. The bill was reduced from well over £40 quid to £31.85, I thought I will be cheeky and see if the £3 off works as well, sometimes they say cloths are excluded but no it went through and reduced the bill to £28.85. So in two days I had "saved" well over £15 and my Nectar card had finally caught up and is back to another £2.50 balance. As Gordon Jackson said if you look after the pennies the pounds look after themselves.

Martin Lewis eat your heart out Cool.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 24, 2015, 10:10 AM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #2 of 46 (5169 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I will give that a try the next time I'm at the Lacoste shop.....

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 24, 2015, 10:59 AM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #3 of 46 (5154 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
As Gordon Jackson said if you look after the pennies the pounds look after themselves.

I always preferred Gordon Jackson when he was saying: " And Bodie... I want him ALIVE!" Wink

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 24, 2015, 11:12 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #4 of 46 (5144 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Have had trouble with my Nectar card the balance on line never seems the same as it is at Sainsbury's self check out, anyway last Sunday I knew I had £2.50 and I had double Nectar points on fuel so I topped up. The till spewed out loads of vouchers, usually they are useless but these were useable plus one was for £3 off any £30 shop. Yesterday someone said they needed some new trousers and I needed some shopping so we went off to Sainsbury's. On arrival there was a notice saying all cloths 25% off. I did my shopping while the other person looked for her trousers. I of course did my shop far quicker!. As we went to the till I said put everything through together so I get the Nectar points. I had used all my vouchers in my shopping and amazingly for Sainsbury's the items were available and the coupons scanned and the 25% came off the trousers. The bill was reduced from well over £40 quid to £31.85, I thought I will be cheeky and see if the £3 off works as well, sometimes they say cloths are excluded but no it went through and reduced the bill to £28.85. So in two days I had "saved" well over £15 and my Nectar card had finally caught up and is back to another £2.50 balance. As Gordon Jackson said if you look after the pennies the pounds look after themselves.

Martin Lewis eat your heart out Cool.

That's not a phrase you hear every day. Smile

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 24, 2015, 11:39 AM

Post #5 of 46 (5132 views)
Shortcut

I thought it said 'Looking after the Pennines' Blush

Fanatic
First Team Star

Feb 24, 2015, 4:49 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 46 (5086 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

For some reason, quite a few customers in my local Sainsbury's leave their vouchers for money off their next shop (the type that aren't dependent on spending a certain amount) in the trolleys after shopping, which has been a pleasant surprise when getting one from the queue.

I'm amazed none of the local tramps have cottoned onto this, as I saw at least £5 worth of those vouchers on the floor when I went this weekend.

PaulC

Feb 24, 2015, 6:23 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #7 of 46 (5064 views)
Shortcut

I'm told I have a £0.04 balance on my Nectar card and I've only had it about 3 years.

Is that good?

Edit: or it might have been 4 points. There was definitely a 4 in it though.

(This post was edited by PaulC on Feb 24, 2015, 6:25 PM)

dottirofhod

Feb 24, 2015, 8:36 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #8 of 46 (5039 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Is that good ?
If you were a Scotsman I'd say you need to curb your spending.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

acmold

Feb 25, 2015, 11:33 AM

Post #9 of 46 (4814 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
For some reason, quite a few customers in my local Sainsbury's leave their vouchers for money off their next shop (the type that aren't dependent on spending a certain amount) in the trolleys after shopping, which has been a pleasant surprise when getting one from the queue.

I'm amazed none of the local tramps have cottoned onto this, as I saw at least £5 worth of those vouchers on the floor when I went this weekend.

At the self service tills people leave all sorts of vouchers and small coins in the change holder at the bottom, school kids seem to think anything below a 10p is worthless. All gratefully received by me!.

Think workman have cotton onto the above in my local Sainsbury's quite a few seem to be popping in and out all the time for sandwiches and all seem to have vouchers.

McDonalds is another one the people who don't bother with the stickers on the cups to get a free drink.

windydcfc

Feb 25, 2015, 11:50 AM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #10 of 46 (4779 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

At the self service tills people leave all sorts of vouchers and small coins in the change holder at the bottom, school kids seem to think anything below a 10p is worthless. All gratefully received by me!.

Think workman have cotton onto the above in my local Sainsbury's quite a few seem to be popping in and out all the time for sandwiches and all seem to have vouchers.

McDonalds is another one the people who don't bother with the stickers on the cups to get a free drink.

At the self service tills in Sainsburys, previous customers sometimes leave the stream of vouchers that print off! I also check them and sometimes they leave them money off your next shop vouchers. Which can be over a quid, I just use them straight away!

Non League Projection - 2020/21: https://docs.google.com/...UTgVhKYTo/edit#gid=0
Step 1: https://www.google.com/....119447550000018&z=7
Step 2: https://www.google.com/...677250654298405&z=15
Step 3: https://www.google.com/...358611350589399&z=16
Step 4: https://www.google.com/...536616305542566&z=16
Step 5: https://www.google.com/...399355140531952&z=16
Step 6: https://www.google.com/...1556307438963813&z=9

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 25, 2015, 11:56 AM

Post #11 of 46 (4770 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

...you totally sad bastards.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 25, 2015, 1:28 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #12 of 46 (4698 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Vouchers for money off at Sainsburys are generally save a couple of quid when you spend £20. I have 18k reward points and have been collecting them for years, i would have had over double that by now but used lots years ago when air miles were valid. I had free trips to Athens and Copenhagen with them.

windydcfc

Feb 25, 2015, 1:44 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #13 of 46 (4693 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
...you totally sad bastards.

Some people might not be as affluent as others and every penny counts. If that makes me a sad bastard, So what!

Non League Projection - 2020/21: https://docs.google.com/...UTgVhKYTo/edit#gid=0
Step 1: https://www.google.com/....119447550000018&z=7
Step 2: https://www.google.com/...677250654298405&z=15
Step 3: https://www.google.com/...358611350589399&z=16
Step 4: https://www.google.com/...536616305542566&z=16
Step 5: https://www.google.com/...399355140531952&z=16
Step 6: https://www.google.com/...1556307438963813&z=9

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 25, 2015, 2:21 PM

Post #14 of 46 (4676 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 25, 2015, 4:03 PM

Post #15 of 46 (4657 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

I realise that the likes of Sainsbury's and Tesco are presently running scared of the opposition in a very competitive grocery market (in Oxford, it seems fashionable to do half your shopping at Lidl and the other half at Waitrose!), but I don't think that these vouchers for money off will help them in the long run at all. If they're able to knock a bit off a bill for someone who's collected a few vouchers, why can't they just lower the prices on a whole range and run some honest advertising based on having lower prices.

I sense there is a strong mistrust in large sections of the population towards the power and utilities companies, train service companies, supermarkets and any other organisation who try to hide behind the impression that they are reducing prices and offering bargains when the truth is that most of the time they are ripping the customer off. Too often these days, I feel I am not paying the fair price, but to a greater or lesser extent are either being ripped off or having to hunt for and find a bargain.

Good luck to anyone who can take advantage of these offers, and I do it myself when I can, but the likes of Sainsbury's are fools if they think this will gain them any loyalty of goodwill from their customers in the long run.

PaulC

Feb 25, 2015, 4:54 PM

Post #16 of 46 (4642 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I sense there is a strong mistrust in large sections of the population towards the power and utilities companies, train service companies, supermarkets and any other organisation who try to hide behind the impression that they are reducing prices and offering bargains when the truth is that most of the time they are ripping the customer off. Too often these days, I feel I am not paying the fair price, but to a greater or lesser extent are either being ripped off or having to hunt for and find a bargain.

The driving force of capitalism is to rip off the consumer for as much as possible.

paulh66

Feb 25, 2015, 5:06 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #17 of 46 (4624 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

The driving force of capitalism is to rip off the consumer for as much as possible.

Rubbish. The driving force of capitalism is to be as successful as possible. Ripping off the customer can certainly be a by-product of that - and far too often has been - though most successful businesses have cottoned on that, in the long run, doing so isn't really good business. Charging the highest price the market will bear seems legit to me and isn't the same as ripping people off, unless you're in a monopoly or cartel of course.

PaulC

Feb 25, 2015, 5:28 PM

Post #18 of 46 (4590 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Rubbish. The driving force of capitalism is to be as successful as possible. Ripping off the customer can certainly be a by-product of that - and far too often has been - though most successful businesses have cottoned on that, in the long run, doing so isn't really good business. Charging the highest price the market will bear seems legit to me and isn't the same as ripping people off, unless you're in a monopoly or cartel of course.

How do you define "succesful" if not making as big a profit as possible ... or, to paraphrase, to rip off the consumer (and employee) for as much as possible?

Observe the banks with their "introductory offers", the internet companies with their low prices (with the small print indicating you'll be paying through the nose after a few months), the insurance companies relying on customer inertia to squeeze as much as possible out of loyal customers whilst dangling seemingly attractive offers in front of new potential customers. The hidden fees of car rental.

And I haven't even mentioned Wonga and the other parasites who exploit the poor. Nor have I mentioned those jolly chaps at 118118 who screw people for £80 for a directory enquiry and still can't come up with a phone number.

It's not just the consumer,of course that capitalism does its best to rip off. It does the same with its employees too .

The only control over the greed of capitalism is the law and it often shows itself to be weak .. but at least, we now have a minimum wage despite the squeals of the capitalists who feared their profits being eaten into and for the moment, we don't have young children being sent up chimneys.

paulh66

Feb 25, 2015, 5:36 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #19 of 46 (4582 views)
Shortcut

I see profit maximization as fine, and something different to ripping people off. Sometimes I agree it can be difficult to tell the two apart, as in some of your examples, for example, but maximising profit is rarely predicated in itself on ripping people off.

Put it this way, when the customer feels ripped off, they take their business elsewhere. Unless, as I mentioned above, we're talking about a monopoly or cartel, in which case the customer can't do that and is therefore ripe for a ripping off! And no, I wouldn't attempt to defend that..

PaulC

Feb 25, 2015, 5:50 PM

Post #20 of 46 (4575 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I see profit maximization as fine, and something different to ripping people off. Sometimes I agree it can be difficult to tell the two apart, as in some of your examples, for example, but maximising profit is rarely predicated in itself on ripping people off.

Put it this way, when the customer feels ripped off, they take their business elsewhere. Unless, as I mentioned above, we're talking about a monopoly or cartel, in which case the customer can't do that and is therefore ripe for a ripping off! And no, I wouldn't attempt to defend that..

Unless legislated against all competition ends up as monopoly. That's the nature of the beast. In most industries we have only a few big players and we don't have true competition. What we get is the silly merry-go-round of pseudo-competiton as we switch between utility companies or insurance companies. Or we get the non-existent competition of rail privatisation or (in England) water privatisation with their weak industry regulators.

And as you recognise, there's not much point taking your custom elsewhere when you feel ripped off, because in many industries the oligopolists are all at it.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 26, 2015, 9:17 AM

Post #21 of 46 (4366 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
How do you define "succesful" if not making as big a profit as possible ... or, to paraphrase, to rip off the consumer (and employee) for as much as possible?

Funnily enough, there was an interview I heard yesterday morning on the radio with the head of Waitrose, talking about their present success and the new supermarkets they are opening (plus planned expansion to Manchester, Leeds and other cities outside their present southern heartland).

He actually used the line that Waitrose do not set out to maximise their profits, but instead aim for sustainable profits which allow them to care for their staff, suppliers and customers. Obviously the whole Waitrose/John Lewis set-up is very different to most other supermarkets or businesses in this country, what with their staff being the shareholders, as well as the fact that they are food and town-centre orientated, compared to the recently now-struggling supermarket chains like Tesco/Sainsbury/Asda/Morrison who have long gone down the road of out-of-town sites selling non-food lines. Waitrose were also one of the very few supermarket chains not caught up in the horse meat scandal last year, and who also have what I'd call 'sustainable' discounts (ie. 20% occasionally, rather than 50% or buy-one-get-one-free which are usually financed by the supplier rather than the supermarket - the kind of thing that has lead to the Tesco £250million black hole currently under investigation).

Obviously, for every Waitrose there are a dozen or more companies who fit the rip-off capitalist mould you mention. If Waitrose can act with such morals, there really is no reason why the electricity suppliers, train companies, banks, other supermarkets etc can't. It can be done, but obviously rarely is.

PaulC

Feb 26, 2015, 10:34 AM

Post #22 of 46 (4342 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Obviously, for every Waitrose there are a dozen or more companies who fit the rip-off capitalist mould you mention. If Waitrose can act with such morals, there really is no reason why the electricity suppliers, train companies, banks, other supermarkets etc can't. It can be done, but obviously rarely is.

I suppose the footballing analogy would be the difference between fan owned football clubs and plcs.

When it comes to football especially non-league football, you wouldn't need to look far to find owners who have ripped off their clubs' fans and destroyed their clubs to satiate their own greed.

acmold

Feb 26, 2015, 10:41 AM

Post #23 of 46 (4338 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or

I went to the Cinema last week first time for 30 years. If you go to a Vue cinema on a Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon you not only get the off peak discount you can also get a code off of their website that gives another third off. So if you went in the evening and sat in the posh seats if would cost circa £14 if you go in the afternoon with the discount code it costs you just over £6. Also as no one checks where you sit you can sit in the posh seats as the "screen" is almost empty.

Film was still not worth £6, it was 50 Shades of Grey. It's about a perverted businessman who likes spanking young ladies bottoms and he can pilot a helicopter. That's it really.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 26, 2015, 11:37 AM

Post #24 of 46 (4320 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Film was still not worth £6, it was 50 Shades of Grey. It's about a perverted businessman who likes spanking young ladies bottoms and he can pilot a helicopter. That's it really.

Some on here would say that sounds like £6 well spent! Wink

Last film I saw was 'Senna', which was worth double whatever I paid to get in.

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 26, 2015, 11:47 AM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #25 of 46 (4302 views)
Shortcut

Funny, I looked at this thread yesterday having got back from Sainsbury and realising I had £15 of Nectar points to reimburse and had forgotten to do so!

Since moving to Abingdon 2 years ago I've gone from being a Sainsbury man (with vouchers coming out of my ears and chasing round the shelves looking for that 30p off gluten free poppy seeds or whatever) to Waitrose - it's on my side of town and driving through the town centre to save a few bob for less good quality food at Tesco is just not going to happen. I always look out for deals at Waitrose and never feel ripped off. Occasionally go to the Lidl or is it Aldi in Maidenhead where I work, if I need anything in Halfords or Homebase which are nearby. Stupidly cheap and very tasty ready meals.

I'm pretty crap at penny watching - have NEVER calculated car petrol consumption and don't bother shopping around (on a 40-litre tank I really don't care about saving 80p); but I live within my means, pay off credit cards in full, don't smoke or have Sky... live within my means! I go out drinking about once a month, but the three of us have a pub lunch every Sunday. I guess we all have different ways of spending money.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3