Looking after the Pennies

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

windydcfc
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 26, 2015, 12:19 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #26 of 46 (5652 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I went to the Cinema last week first time for 30 years. If you go to a Vue cinema on a Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon you not only get the off peak discount you can also get a code off of their website that gives another third off. So if you went in the evening and sat in the posh seats if would cost circa £14 if you go in the afternoon with the discount code it costs you just over £6. Also as no one checks where you sit you can sit in the posh seats as the "screen" is almost empty.

Film was still not worth £6, it was 50 Shades of Grey. It's about a perverted businessman who likes spanking young ladies bottoms and he can pilot a helicopter. That's it really.

I got dragged down the cinema with her that must be obeyed to watch 50 Shades! It is one of the most overhyped films that I've ever had the misfortune to watch. I'm sure the boss will dictate that we will have to watch the next 2 films in the series! On a personal basis I liked the films Killing Fields/Star Wars/Lord of the Rings and like the TV series Game of Thrones(nothing like the shite my Mrs forced me to watch!
Unsure

Non League Projection - 2020/21: https://docs.google.com/...UTgVhKYTo/edit#gid=0
Step 1: https://www.google.com/....119447550000018&z=7
Step 2: https://www.google.com/...677250654298405&z=15
Step 3: https://www.google.com/...358611350589399&z=16
Step 4: https://www.google.com/...536616305542566&z=16
Step 5: https://www.google.com/...399355140531952&z=16
Step 6: https://www.google.com/...1556307438963813&z=9

(This post was edited by windydcfc on Feb 26, 2015, 12:21 PM)

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 26, 2015, 12:23 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #27 of 46 (5645 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Last time I went to see a film with the missus was back in 1999 - can't
recall what it was but having kicked me out three months earlier, I was
trying to get back in her good books.... Crazy

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

TempWorksCo
Reserve Team Sub

Feb 26, 2015, 12:37 PM

Team(s):

Post #28 of 46 (5638 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Film was still not worth £6, it was 50 Shades of Grey. It's about a perverted businessman who likes spanking young ladies bottoms and he can pilot a helicopter. That's it really.

Thanks for spoiling it - not worth watching it now!!

Grounds visited - A few
Wetherspoons visited - Not many
Ales tasted - Loads

windydcfc

Feb 26, 2015, 12:50 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #29 of 46 (5615 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Last time I went to see a film with the missus was back in 1999 - can't
recall what it was but having kicked me out three months earlier, I was
trying to get back in her good books.... Crazy

Was it successful?

Non League Projection - 2020/21: https://docs.google.com/...UTgVhKYTo/edit#gid=0
Step 1: https://www.google.com/....119447550000018&z=7
Step 2: https://www.google.com/...677250654298405&z=15
Step 3: https://www.google.com/...358611350589399&z=16
Step 4: https://www.google.com/...536616305542566&z=16
Step 5: https://www.google.com/...399355140531952&z=16
Step 6: https://www.google.com/...1556307438963813&z=9

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 26, 2015, 12:53 PM

Post #30 of 46 (5614 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well I am still here with her so I think I've done my penance...

Nymphomaniacs who run pubs are not all they're cracked up to be....

PaulC

Feb 26, 2015, 1:27 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #31 of 46 (5588 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Didn't the pub serve real ale?

acmold

Feb 26, 2015, 3:00 PM

Post #32 of 46 (5569 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TempWorksCo] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

Thanks for spoiling it - not worth watching it now!!

I've saved you a few bob as it's not worth watching, before I went I thought it was about some 50 year old M.I.L.F who was getting some on the side.

Isaac

Feb 26, 2015, 6:12 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #33 of 46 (5549 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I sense there is a strong mistrust in large sections of the population towards the power and utilities companies, train service companies, supermarkets and any other organisation who try to hide behind the impression that they are reducing prices and offering bargains when the truth is that most of the time they are ripping the customer off. Too often these days, I feel I am not paying the fair price, but to a greater or lesser extent are either being ripped off or having to hunt for and find a bargain.

The driving force of capitalism is to rip off the consumer for as much as possible.

Rubbish. The driving force of capitalism is to be as successful as possible. Ripping off the customer can certainly be a by-product of that - and far too often has been - though most successful businesses have cottoned on that, in the long run, doing so isn't really good business. Charging the highest price the market will bear seems legit to me and isn't the same as ripping people off, unless you're in a monopoly or cartel of course.

How do you define "succesful" if not making as big a profit as possible ... or, to paraphrase, to rip off the consumer (and employee) for as much as possible?

Observe the banks with their "introductory offers", the internet companies with their low prices (with the small print indicating you'll be paying through the nose after a few months), the insurance companies relying on customer inertia to squeeze as much as possible out of loyal customers whilst dangling seemingly attractive offers in front of new potential customers. The hidden fees of car rental.

And I haven't even mentioned Wonga and the other parasites who exploit the poor. Nor have I mentioned those jolly chaps at 118118 who screw people for £80 for a directory enquiry and still can't come up with a phone number.

It's not just the consumer,of course that capitalism does its best to rip off. It does the same with its employees too .

The only control over the greed of capitalism is the law and it often shows itself to be weak .. but at least, we now have a minimum wage despite the squeals of the capitalists who feared their profits being eaten into and for the moment, we don't have young children being sent up chimneys.

£80 for the 118 serviceShocked was that a typo?

I've never used it so I wouldn't know but with so many other ways of contacting people I'm surprised they are still in business

(This post was edited by Isaac on Feb 26, 2015, 6:18 PM)

Isaac

Feb 26, 2015, 6:16 PM

Post #34 of 46 (5546 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oxford Stone] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Funny, I looked at this thread yesterday having got back from Sainsbury and realising I had £15 of Nectar points to reimburse and had forgotten to do so!

Since moving to Abingdon 2 years ago I've gone from being a Sainsbury man (with vouchers coming out of my ears and chasing round the shelves looking for that 30p off gluten free poppy seeds or whatever) to Waitrose - it's on my side of town and driving through the town centre to save a few bob for less good quality food at Tesco is just not going to happen. I always look out for deals at Waitrose and never feel ripped off. Occasionally go to the Lidl or is it Aldi in Maidenhead where I work, if I need anything in Halfords or Homebase which are nearby. Stupidly cheap and very tasty ready meals.

I'm pretty crap at penny watching - have NEVER calculated car petrol consumption and don't bother shopping around (on a 40-litre tank I really don't care about saving 80p); but I live within my means, pay off credit cards in full, don't smoke or have Sky... live within my means! I go out drinking about once a month, but the three of us have a pub lunch every Sunday. I guess we all have different ways of spending money.

I'm the same..................I can't grasp the logic of going miles out of your way to get petrol for a few pence a litre lessCrazy

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 27, 2015, 2:59 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #35 of 46 (5307 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Funny, I looked at this thread yesterday having got back from Sainsbury and realising I had £15 of Nectar points to reimburse and had forgotten to do so!

Since moving to Abingdon 2 years ago I've gone from being a Sainsbury man (with vouchers coming out of my ears and chasing round the shelves looking for that 30p off gluten free poppy seeds or whatever) to Waitrose - it's on my side of town and driving through the town centre to save a few bob for less good quality food at Tesco is just not going to happen. I always look out for deals at Waitrose and never feel ripped off. Occasionally go to the Lidl or is it Aldi in Maidenhead where I work, if I need anything in Halfords or Homebase which are nearby. Stupidly cheap and very tasty ready meals.

I'm pretty crap at penny watching - have NEVER calculated car petrol consumption and don't bother shopping around (on a 40-litre tank I really don't care about saving 80p); but I live within my means, pay off credit cards in full, don't smoke or have Sky... live within my means! I go out drinking about once a month, but the three of us have a pub lunch every Sunday. I guess we all have different ways of spending money.

I'm the same..................I can't grasp the logic of going miles out of your way to get petrol for a few pence a litre lessCrazy

As for the people who slam on the brakes to turn right into the garage that's 1p/litre cheaper than the garage on their side of the road... don't get me started.

Here's another strange one though, I always have an office drawer full of multipack crisps (15p a go?) while colleagues go and pay 65p for a packet at the vending machine down the corridor.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 27, 2015, 3:08 PM

Post #36 of 46 (5303 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Didn't the pub serve real ale?

If memory serves me well, something called 'Mild Ale' was a favoured tipple of the locals...my grandad told
me about it once I think...

PaulC

Feb 27, 2015, 3:27 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #37 of 46 (5297 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I've never used it so I wouldn't know but with so many other ways of contacting people I'm surprised they are still in business

No typo:

http://money.aol.co.uk/...tory-enquiries-call/

And then there are the mobile phone rip-off merchants:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...-month-contract.html

Isaac

Feb 27, 2015, 7:57 PM

Post #38 of 46 (5108 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

No typo:

http://money.aol.co.uk/...tory-enquiries-call/

And then there are the mobile phone rip-off merchants:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...-month-contract.html

At least Dick Turpin wore a maskShocked

I stick to pay as you go mobiles

chris41

Mar 1, 2015, 4:56 PM

Post #39 of 46 (3317 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oxford Stone] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

As for the people who slam on the brakes to turn right into the garage that's 1p/litre cheaper than the garage on their side of the road... don't get me started.

Here's another strange one though, I always have an office drawer full of multipack crisps (15p a go?) while colleagues go and pay 65p for a packet at the vending machine down the corridor.

On a similar point, I can't understand colleagues who go out at every lunchtime, spend about £3.00 or more on a sandwich or baguette when you can just put aside 5 minutes every morning to make your own at about a 1/5 of the price.Crazy

acmold

Mar 2, 2015, 3:21 PM

Post #40 of 46 (3248 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chris41] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or

Going even further retired / semi retired folk who only work for 20 or so hours a week and earn little more than the minimum wage and who are already drawing a private or works pension and have a few bob in savings that are not all invested in ISA's (because you can claim the tax back at year end up to your tax allowance), but are under the state pension age. After Tax, NI deductions, travelling cost to the job and then as previously mentioned buying lunch and trendy coffee and other sundry expenses they end up with more or less nothing left!.

I'm in that sort of situation and I calculated if I did 20 hours at minimum wage and had to take a bus to the job I would have net gain of less than £40 a week and that was dependant on me spending zilch when I was out of the house. Once you took wear and tear on clothing and shoes that is not tax deductible I would have been out of the house for 30 plus doing a job for peanuts.

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 6, 2015, 3:04 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #41 of 46 (3068 views)
Shortcut

acmold will be proud of me - £16.30 Sainsbury down to 60p (£15 of Nectar rewards + a 70p voucher). Free beer, boom!

acmold

Mar 26, 2015, 8:37 PM

Post #42 of 46 (2796 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oxford Stone] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or

Today at Sainsbury's £4 off if £20 or more is spent Nectar Voucher As it was early morning the local Yufs were on their way to school so another 13p found discarded on the ground outside the shop Plus a special offeron Veggie Burgers

Only bettered by Savers who were selling six packs of 7Up for £2.40 but they had split some down so you could buy them individually marked at 40p each Purchased 4 and they went through the till for 29p each

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 26, 2015, 8:50 PM

Post #43 of 46 (2784 views)
Shortcut

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 27, 2015, 11:14 AM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #44 of 46 (2708 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Sly

acmold

Mar 27, 2015, 12:05 PM

Post #45 of 46 (2695 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Looking after the Pennies [In reply to] Can't Post or

7Up up to 45p a bottle today in Savers, so much for zero inflation

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 27, 2015, 1:07 PM

Post #46 of 46 (2685 views)
Shortcut

...but it will be down 45p somewhere else..it's how they work.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3