Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 3, 2015, 6:44 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #26 of 45 (3890 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Service Stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
any on m40 are bad !

At least there are services on the M40 now, I can remember driving all the way from Kent to the midlands without seeing a service station

windydcfc

Apr 3, 2015, 6:53 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #27 of 45 (3887 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Service Stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
any on m40 are bad !

At least there are services on the M40 now, I can remember driving all the way from Kent to the midlands without seeing a service station

How did you copeTongue

Non League Projection - 2020/21: https://docs.google.com/...UTgVhKYTo/edit#gid=0
Step 1: https://www.google.com/....119447550000018&z=7
Step 2: https://www.google.com/...677250654298405&z=15
Step 3: https://www.google.com/...358611350589399&z=16
Step 4: https://www.google.com/...536616305542566&z=16
Step 5: https://www.google.com/...399355140531952&z=16
Step 6: https://www.google.com/...1556307438963813&z=9

Isaac

Apr 3, 2015, 10:11 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #28 of 45 (3864 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Service Stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
any on m40 are bad !

How did you copeTongue

I nearly didn't on one occasion........the fuel gauge was getting uncomfortably low

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 4, 2015, 9:58 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #29 of 45 (3821 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Service Stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
any on m40 are bad !

How did you copeTongue

I nearly didn't on one occasion........the fuel gauge was getting uncomfortably low

Is your fuel tank so small that you can't get from Kent to the Midlands without paying the Dick Turpin prices charged at motorway stops ? If so, there are loads of garages within a mile of most of the junctions which would be up to 15p/litre cheaper.

grumpydwarf
First Team Star

Apr 5, 2015, 5:01 PM

Team(s): non-league football

Post #30 of 45 (3773 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] Service Stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Stopped at the private service station by Gloucester last week; hated it; just a glorified farm shop selling local produce at vastly inflated prices; did what I needed then had a look around and came away having spent NOTHING!!!

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

May 18, 2015, 10:51 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #31 of 45 (3545 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grumpydwarf] Service Stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You will be even grumpier to hear that the new Gloucester North services opened today. Although it doesn't open officially until tomorrow (Tuesday) when the forecourt opens, I hear it had 400 customers by 4:30, and also had a mention in the Guardian, although the latter couldn't actually spell Westmorland correctly.

http://www.theguardian.com/...ter-services-m5-food

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 19, 2015, 9:14 AM

Post #32 of 45 (3499 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Service Stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
...also had a mention in the Guardian, although the latter couldn't actually spell Westmorland correctly.

This is the Grauniad/Garudina. In fact the article uses both spellings but neither in respect of the county. The 'e' form is much older.

The article also refers to Cornish sardines. Older generations know them as pilchards, the oily horrors that used to appear on school dinner plates. Cornish sardines – a marketing triumph.

(This post was edited by Mr. T on May 19, 2015, 9:27 AM)

TempWorksCo
Reserve Team Sub

May 20, 2016, 10:12 AM

Team(s):

Post #33 of 45 (2668 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Service Stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sarn is undergoing a major makeover,can only be an improvement -hopefully.

Grounds visited - A few
Wetherspoons visited - Not many
Ales tasted - Loads

Yatesman
First Team Star

May 21, 2016, 7:43 AM

Team(s):

Post #34 of 45 (2566 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Stopped at the private service station by Gloucester last week; hated it; just a glorified farm shop selling local produce at vastly inflated prices; did what I needed then had a look around and came away having spent NOTHING!!!

I totally agree that both of the new Gloucester services are over priced and having used both regularly over the past year ( Northbound to get a coffee on the way to Scotland and Southbound to pick u a pint of milk and a loaf of Hobbs House bread on the way back from Scotland) thy are both very clean, have excellent facilities and high quality food.
Service stations are usually stupidly expensive for crap facilities and crap food so I would rather have more of the Gloucester and Cumbria type service stations than the usual type of scummy service stations we've traditionally been forced to suffer so if I am getting ripped off I'm at least getting ripped off in style!

garethwrexy

Jun 3, 2016, 9:42 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #35 of 45 (2199 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yatesman] Service Stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

anyone been to south mimms services ?

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

buncranaboy

Jun 3, 2016, 9:48 PM

Post #36 of 45 (2190 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

I spent a stack there on a recent visit - wonderful Gloucester Old Spot sausages, some great cheeses and a vast range of local ales. All bottles were around £2.50; more than your average supermarket but I've never seen any of the ones I bought in any of our local stores. Besides, £2.50 still comares favourably with pub prices so I've no problem spending the cash if you're getting quality in return.

buncranaboy

Jun 3, 2016, 9:48 PM

Post #37 of 45 (2187 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Service Stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
anyone been to south mimms services ?

Yes. Why ?

TheWavendonian
Youth Team Star

Jun 5, 2016, 2:07 PM

Team(s): Anywhere picturesque making good tea

Post #38 of 45 (2099 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yatesman] Service Stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not a motorway service station but Rugby services on the A5 which is run by Stobarts (so essentially a truck stop) is like something out of League of Gentlemen. The most miserable cow on earth will serve you (if you can manage to coax her inside away from her fag and mobile) and quickly usher you out and pull down the shutters so she can go back outside and finish her conversation. A large building with lots of unmarked doors and staircases. Looks like an ideal setting for another sequel of Hostel.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 5, 2016, 4:02 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #39 of 45 (2051 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TheWavendonian] Service Stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Back in the summer of 1987, I worked a holiday job as a lorry driver's mate (a job I doubt exists today in anywhere near the numbers that it did back them) for a factory making credit cards in Havant, ferrying loads up to depots at Feltham, Heathrow and Reading. We'd leave Havant in the lorry at about 5am and would always stop at one of the old service cafes that lined the A3 at Hindhead, close to the top of the Devil's Punchbowl - there was a whole string of cafes and old coaching houses there. Our particular cafe of choice was divided down the middle - car drivers sat on the left and lorry drivers (and mates) sat on the right, with lorry personnel eating off of Alan-Partridge-style-12incher-dinner-plates with pint mugs of tea (much to the obvious jealousy of the car drivers!)

I stopped off at Hindhead on the way to Lewes FC back in March, and all the roadside cafes have now been bulldozed, with the old A3 Devil's Punchbowl road now transformed into a quiet rural cul-de-sac leading into a country park. The new A3 now runs through a huge tunnel, and the nearest decent fry-up is probably way over in Woking.

TheWavendonian
Youth Team Star

Jun 5, 2016, 4:25 PM

Post #40 of 45 (2029 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Service Stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I just had a look at that Pete. That is annoying. I remember that stretch of road from when i was a kid going to the Isle of Wight on holiday. It was like going through a mountain pass to a new land. Now the magic is gone. Part of holidays was the journey. I find most of the A303 too mundane now. (Does anyone know if the kebab van is still in the lay by on the eastbound carriageway just up to the west of Winterbourne Stoke? That was a regular stop in the 90s on the long Brixham-Craven Cottage trek)

Mark Hardy
First Team Sub

Jun 5, 2016, 5:08 PM

Team(s): Farnborough

Post #41 of 45 (2000 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TheWavendonian] Service Stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I just had a look at that Pete. That is annoying. I remember that stretch of road from when i was a kid going to the Isle of Wight on holiday. It was like going through a mountain pass to a new land. Now the magic is gone. Part of holidays was the journey. I find most of the A303 too mundane now. (Does anyone know if the kebab van is still in the lay by on the eastbound carriageway just up to the west of Winterbourne Stoke? That was a regular stop in the 90s on the long Brixham-Craven Cottage trek)

Yes the van (Joseph's) is still there.

acmold

Jun 5, 2016, 5:34 PM

Post #42 of 45 (1984 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mark Hardy] Service Stations [In reply to] Can't Post or

If we are going off tack, the one on the A40 at Windrush that used to be a greasy spoon 25 / 30 years ago which was bulldozed and some fancy Cotswold buildings were half built they are now a third built.

When I go to West Wales I use the A40 and just the other side of Brecon in a layby is a food wagon, the woman serving always has some lovely baps on offer, had many a nibble in said layby. It's next to some public loos.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 5, 2016, 5:40 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #43 of 45 (1979 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Service Stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
If we are going off tack, the one on the A40 at Windrush that used to be a greasy spoon 25 / 30 years ago which was bulldozed and some fancy Cotswold buildings were half built they are now a third built.

I can't understand why that unfinished hotel complex has been allowed to sit derelict for so long. It's a proper eyesore in a stretch of very beautiful countryside. It's also in an ideal place to be a goldmine during Cheltenham Festival week, too.

TheWavendonian
Youth Team Star

Jun 5, 2016, 5:46 PM

Post #44 of 45 (1971 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mark Hardy] Service Stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ooh thats a different one. Just streetviewed it.

acmold

Jun 6, 2016, 5:45 PM

Post #45 of 45 (1862 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Service Stations [In reply to] Can't Post or

Think the idea was it's handy for most of the rural Cotswolds and the likes of Cheltenham, Oxford, Stratford and Warwick but all those places have hotels as do the likes of Burford and Stow plus you have two other hotels near it on the A40. It's a bit remote even by Cotswolds standards and if you were there for the night that's where you stay unless you want to drive at least 5 or 10 miles.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3