First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

garethwrexy
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 11, 2016, 2:33 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #1 of 49 (6575 views)
Shortcut
is your area rough ? Can't Post or Reply Privately

my town of holywell can be bit of fire pot, huge reems of folk on dole and every few interesting in having a job,
drugs and crime rife suppose that's uk at moment in towns that aren't near huge citys with industry to supply locals with jobs.

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

dottirofhod

Feb 11, 2016, 2:38 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #2 of 49 (6572 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] is your area rough ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yep.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 11, 2016, 3:45 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #3 of 49 (6537 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] is your area rough ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thankfully my greensward appears to be a lot greener
than that of across the great divide....

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 11, 2016, 4:48 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #4 of 49 (6505 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] is your area rough ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Fresh from the thread about nearest club at each level - can't help noticing Holywell is 3 miles closer to Chester than Wrexham.... maybe that explains why it's so rough eh Gareth? (seriously, which team do most people support, or are they all Premier League fans?)
Abingdon has a few rough estates and there have been 3 murders in the last year or so - 1 domestic stabbing, 1 shooting by 2 blokes from out of town (God knows), 1 a bloke went postal in Ppundland with a knife (on drugs? mentally ill?) and stabbed a complete stranger. Thing is the previous violent crime was probably years ago.
But as a place to go out in the evening, general crime rates - pretty peaceful.

windydcfc

Feb 11, 2016, 4:55 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #5 of 49 (6499 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oxford Stone] is your area rough ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hykeham isn't rough & it's a fairly big town! Lincoln has 3 or 4 big council estates, but they aren't rough compared to some shit holes that are knocking about!

Non League Projection - 2020/21: https://docs.google.com/...UTgVhKYTo/edit#gid=0
Step 1: https://www.google.com/....119447550000018&z=7
Step 2: https://www.google.com/...677250654298405&z=15
Step 3: https://www.google.com/...358611350589399&z=16
Step 4: https://www.google.com/...536616305542566&z=16
Step 5: https://www.google.com/...399355140531952&z=16
Step 6: https://www.google.com/...1556307438963813&z=9

garethwrexy

Feb 11, 2016, 5:24 PM

Post #6 of 49 (6477 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oxford Stone] is your area rough ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

everton and Manchester united rule the premier league support in town along with few Wrexham fans Tongue

jrev61

Feb 11, 2016, 6:41 PM

Team(s): None

Post #7 of 49 (6435 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] is your area rough ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You can tell an area is rough when:

1. The Alsatians go round in pairs.
2. When they search you for weapons in the pubs, and if you haven't got any they will sell you some.
3. When every other person has a huge tattoo on their face.
And that's just the women!

jrev61

Yatesman
First Team Star

Feb 11, 2016, 6:54 PM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 49 (6426 views)
Shortcut

Definitely not rough, in fact generally a good place to live and raise a family. Being very close to Bristol and Bath and having an aspirational culture within the town, the employment opportunities are excellent. Probably 90% of homes are non- Local Authority but as in any place with a high level of private housing there is now a high level of private rented.
Crime is petty and low-level, although a known Yate drug dealer was murdered last year for snaffling too much of the merchandise for himself instead of selling it on and couldn't settle up with his suppliers! A spate of van robberies and break-ins recently was blamed on a small group of local smack heads....but that is the sort of thing you get in every town. There are not really any rough areas in Yate just rough people and there are people who are struggling financially or with mental health issues, as there is everywhere.
Investment in Yate town centre has seen the construction of a new multi-screen (opening in April 2016) and a number of shop outlets including Next and Pets At Home and 3 chain restaurants opening. New housing is springing up all over Yate and Chipping Sodbury...I can think of 5 separate developments ongoing with plans for another 2000 houses over the next few years. New industrial units are being built in the industrial estate and older units are being refurbished. Yate Shopping Centre has very few empty shops and has recently seen Starbucks and a few other new retailers take space. The only downer is the Wetherspoons...it's a dump.
Pubs and restaurants in C/Sodbury High St are all very good, busy and have little ,only occasional trouble.
I would say that Yate and Chipping Sodbury is booming , we are close to the countryside and the city of Bristol and I feel lucky to live here and I'm glad my children live here.
It always makes me laugh when people seem to revel in their home town's hopelessness, notoriety or whatever...can't relate to that!

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 11, 2016, 7:44 PM

Post #9 of 49 (6388 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] is your area rough ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I initially thought that said Albanians.....

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Feb 11, 2016, 7:49 PM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #10 of 49 (6379 views)
Shortcut

Downtown SE18 has a reputation as do most working class suburbs in any city.

However the Thames is a stones throw and with Blackheath and Greenwich five minutes away we enjoy the best that Sarf London offers.

As Canary Wharf casts its ripples our little 'village' is being gentrified at quite a pace. Thankfully as the area was developed for the munitions workers at Woolwich Arsenal it retains a much of its 19th Century architecture. Streets of Artisan cottages snake up the hills from from the river to the Commons. Ancient woodland mixes with Military Georgian facades. The army still retains stables in the town and reguarly their steeds can be seen exercising in columns 30/40 strong across the Commons.

It's cosmopolitan for sure with over 50 different first languages spoken in our local school and almost as many differing cuisines . And since the Nepaleese Ghurkas have settled in numbers in the area we enjoy even more international colour and flavours.

The other side of the coin is that we have our fair share of 'inner city crime'.....drugs, gang violence, prostitution, petty thieving etc etc etc..
Burglary is low and street violence rare.
Living in any city has its rewards and challenges.

On balance I would say that any area that could produce Arsenal FC and Steve Davis, Tiny T and Dave Courtney is rough but we love it Wink

(This post was edited by Ronsdog on Feb 11, 2016, 7:57 PM)

garethwrexy

Feb 11, 2016, 8:16 PM

Post #11 of 49 (6354 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ronsdog] is your area rough ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

what hacks me off im up for work around, 5,30-6,00am folk on estate called hallway rise about 11,am maybeMad then its off to pub and bookies !

Fanatic
First Team Star

Feb 11, 2016, 9:33 PM

Team(s):

Post #12 of 49 (6315 views)
Shortcut

I live on a council estate in E1 in Tower Hamlets in one of those areas that certain idiots in the media would have you believe is a sharia-controlled no-go zone.

If I had walked or driven through the area, I would have probably said it was rough, but now having lived here for over two years, I actually think it's a quite nice place to live. It doesn't look great, but it's very quiet for central London, has a good mix of families and young professionals, has more greenery than many other parts of inner London, and is fantastic for getting round the city (I'm within 5-10 minutes of Aldgate, Aldgate East and Shadwell stations).

Whilst I've been offered drugs a couple of times (and have heard most blocks have a dealer), it all seems to be the soft stuff and I have never seen any violence. The only real problem (aside from the ridiculous rents) is cars getting broken into (it has happened to me - all they nicked was a German satnav that offered strange instructions like "Turn half-right". I was far more upset about them breaking the window, as I often leave the car unlocked by accident...)

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Feb 11, 2016, 10:10 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #13 of 49 (6294 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] is your area rough ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't know Aldgate, but I think the key is that every area has rougher and less rough districts (even Yate must have with its murdered drug dealer!), and, as you say, first impressions can be misleading. The last place I was offered drugs was wealthy Marbella, for example.

Here in Sale, I never feel worried walking along the streets, although I have been burgled - but, then, one of my neighbours did contact the police when I was out - and there are certain pubs I would never dream of going in.

Similarly, as I posted on another thread, when I was in Gareth's Holywell last month, I did see a pub which looked very rough from the outside, but the town in general seemed okay.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 11, 2016, 10:45 PM

Post #14 of 49 (6269 views)
Shortcut

Don't get why anyone who lives in Aldgate would need a car?

Did you buy that SatNav from UK Punk? He used to have a Val Doonican one...

garethwrexy

Feb 12, 2016, 8:43 AM

Post #15 of 49 (6185 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] is your area rough ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

assume you didn't see good number of empty shops with boards up around them, town is dead killed by numerous goverments who have failed it !

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Feb 12, 2016, 8:49 AM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #16 of 49 (6177 views)
Shortcut

I see that, as well as boarded up pubs, in lots of places, so, to be honest, I don't think Holywell is worse than elsewhere.

acmold

Feb 12, 2016, 11:23 AM

Post #17 of 49 (6129 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] is your area rough ? [In reply to] Can't Post or

Where I live is quite nice other than the fact it's on a main road, the "village" around the corner is very nice except all the pubs have been "modernised". But the local shopping centre with a Weatherspoons and another boarded up pub which was closed for drug dealing and has had at least one murder in the car park is not. Going the other way the local estate had a robbery at the local shop involving a knife just a few days ago. Everywhere has good and bad, though maybe not Burford, Stow on the Wold and places of that ilk.

I actually live in Cowley(as in the Mini Plant) the other side of the road is Iffley but for elections i'm in Iffley. If Cowley appears in my address premiums are higher than if Iffley does. My road has the same name as the local estate though that is half a mile away, if someone confuses my address for the estate quotes for services and insurances can be double or more. Post code lottery.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 12, 2016, 1:01 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #18 of 49 (6104 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] is your area rough ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I initially thought that said Albanians.....

No, just people from Alsace. That said, coming across a pair of Arsene Wengers in the street would be pretty frightening. Smile

garethwrexy

Feb 12, 2016, 5:17 PM

Post #19 of 49 (6032 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] is your area rough ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

its getting worse drugs are huge issue, 1 lad in my local said I was mug for working he is local scaly wag who steals and brags he doesn't pay any tax ! what a tosser welcome to uk in 21st centry folks !

jrev61

Feb 12, 2016, 6:32 PM

Team(s): None

Post #20 of 49 (6005 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
what hacks me off im up for work around, 5,30-6,00am folk on estate called hallway rise about 11,am maybeMad then its off to pub and bookies !

Do you give them any tips Gareth? Like backing Arsenal and Wrexham to win everything?

jrev61

garethwrexy

Feb 12, 2016, 6:34 PM

Post #21 of 49 (6000 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] is your area rough ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

no !

Yatesman
First Team Star

Feb 12, 2016, 10:53 PM

Team(s):

Post #22 of 49 (5928 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I don't know Aldgate, but I think the key is that every area has rougher and less rough districts (even Yate must have with its murdered drug dealer!), and, as you say, first impressions can be misleading. The last place I was offered drugs was wealthy Marbella, for example.

Here in Sale, I never feel worried walking along the streets, although I have been burgled - but, then, one of my neighbours did contact the police when I was out - and there are certain pubs I would never dream of going in.

Similarly, as I posted on another thread, when I was in Gareth's Holywell last month, I did see a pub which looked very rough from the outside, but the town in general seemed okay.

Yate has a fair number of 'rough' people....some decent, honest and law abiding and some are scumbags. Same as the 'posh' people here. Drugs are easily available , as elsewhere should you choose to go down that road but Yate is a great place to live.
here are a few of scumbag stories from Yate... If you are into that sort of thing.

http://www.gazetteseries.co.uk/..._Eve_attack_in_Yate/

http://m.gazetteseries.co.uk/...d_to_pay_back_costs/

www.newsdump.co.uk/news/geoffbennett-published-man-accused-of-wounding-yate-drug-dealer-jason-betts-tells-jury

http://www.gazetteseries.co.uk/...ub/?ref=mr&lp=19

I'm sure there are more.....
http://

(This post was edited by Yatesman on Feb 12, 2016, 11:07 PM)

Fanatic
First Team Star

Feb 12, 2016, 11:49 PM

Team(s):

Post #23 of 49 (5901 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Don't get why anyone who lives in Aldgate would need a car?

Did you buy that SatNav from UK Punk? He used to have a Val Doonican one...

It's the one I had when I lived in Suffolk. If it packs up I probably wouldn't bother getting a new one. In the meantime, the only times I use it are for going back to my Dad's farm or occasional hopping where public transport is not really a viable option.

It was an old one my German ex gave me. Would love to have seen their faces when they realised they'd wasted their time.

garethwrexy

Feb 13, 2016, 9:44 AM

Post #24 of 49 (5824 views)
Shortcut

areas like Grimsby and Scunthorpe often get tagged as being rough

jon b
First Team Star

Feb 14, 2016, 8:53 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #25 of 49 (5577 views)
Shortcut

Rough area? No. Though not far off across the border are a couple of interesting spots.

Our area is so unrough that when we were in during the day we didn't use to bother locking the doors.

That was until the summer evening when a young woman came down our drive, let herself in the front door and, after a while sitting in the kitchen not responding to me gently asking what she was doing there, went upstairs and put herself to bed. Crazy

As this was a shade unusual, we called out ambulance and police. The latter were a bit surprised how laid back we were about it, but we explained that as my wife had been a youth worker and then subsequently had worked with addicts of various kinds, we'd met plenty of people who had "issues".

Eventually, the police recalled encountering the woman previously. On that occasion she'd jumped out of an upstairs window when high on an illegal substance.

Oddly enough, these days we keep the doors locked. Cool

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3