Home: Non League Football Information: History:
Kent Amateur Cup (Croneen Shield) history

TonyDart
Youth Team Sub

Nov 1, 2016, 11:44 AM

Post #1 of 10 (3187 views)
Shortcut
Kent Amateur Cup (Croneen Shield) history Can't Post or Reply Privately

Has anyone by any chance done any research/compiled final results of the KENT AMATEUR CUP (the Croneen Shield). Competition first season was 1905-06.
The Kent County F.A. handbooks have the winners up to the 2nd World War, but with only a handful of the final scores (roughly 1905-06 to 1920-21 although with a couple of gaps 1911 and 1912). I don't have the Rothman's non-league yearbooks now but I don,t remember ever seeing this competition in there.
Thanks
Tony

happywand
Junior Team Regular

Nov 1, 2016, 4:59 PM

Post #2 of 10 (3129 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TonyDart] Kent Amateur Cup (Croneen Shield) history [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes, Jerry Dowlen wrote a four-part history (from a Cray Wanderers point of view) in our magazine "Cray Chatter" in the early 1980s. Cray reached the final eight times, winning four. The competition was a big deal, especially between the wars. When Whitstable beat Cray (2-1) in 1929 at Dover on Easter Monday, the attendance was 4,284.

TonyDart
Youth Team Sub

Nov 1, 2016, 6:06 PM

Post #3 of 10 (3096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [happywand] Kent Amateur Cup (Croneen Shield) history [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thank you for your reply and your help also with the Kent Senior Trophy finals. That's great. As you say, finding the attendances could be a needle in a haystack but I'll certainly keep it mind when I'm searching through old newspapers etc.

I have been trying to get in touch with Jerry over the last few days and I have a lady from the Croft tea Rooms in Cray who has forwarded on my request to get in touch with him. So it's all happening at once!

I am hoping to have a meet up with Jerry sometime soon and explain some of the research of Kent stuff that I'm doing (West Kent only for the more local leagues and cups and charity cup competitions, but whole of Kent for the more senior competitions, such as KSC, KST, KAC, KFL/KFC/KMT (floodlight competitions), Kent League & Cups).

Obviously don't want to duplicate stuff that's already been done, hence using the forum.

Thanks for info on the Kent Amateur Cup re Jerry's 4-part history in the 1980's "Cray Chatter". I can take that up with Jerry when I contact him.
Thanks for your help, much appreciated

With kind regards
Tony

(This post was edited by TonyDart on Nov 1, 2016, 6:08 PM)

bassett
Ballboy/girl

May 3, 2018, 12:55 PM

Post #4 of 10 (1905 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TonyDart] Kent Amateur Cup (Croneen Shield) history [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Kent Amateur Cup 1950-51 Bromley 3 Tunbridge Wells 0
Roger Bassett

Lily White
Junior Team Regular

May 13, 2018, 4:57 PM

Team(s): Dover Athletic

Post #5 of 10 (1736 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Thank you for your reply and your help also with the Kent Senior Trophy finals. That's great. As you say, finding the attendances could be a needle in a haystack but I'll certainly keep it mind when I'm searching through old newspapers etc.

I have been trying to get in touch with Jerry over the last few days and I have a lady from the Croft tea Rooms in Cray who has forwarded on my request to get in touch with him. So it's all happening at once!

I am hoping to have a meet up with Jerry sometime soon and explain some of the research of Kent stuff that I'm doing (West Kent only for the more local leagues and cups and charity cup competitions, but whole of Kent for the more senior competitions, such as KSC, KST, KAC, KFL/KFC/KMT (floodlight competitions), Kent League & Cups).

Obviously don't want to duplicate stuff that's already been done, hence using the forum.

Thanks for info on the Kent Amateur Cup re Jerry's 4-part history in the 1980's "Cray Chatter". I can take that up with Jerry when I contact him.
Thanks for your help, much appreciated

With kind regards
Tony

I have most of the results of finals and semi-finals, with attendances.
Games were regularly played at Dover from about 1912 until the Second World War, and the Dover Express reported on them all, with attendances. Let me know which you are missing.

JohnR
Junior Team Sub

May 20, 2018, 7:03 PM

Post #6 of 10 (1634 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lily White] Kent Amateur Cup (Croneen Shield) history [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Do you by any chance have the attendance for the 1974 Kent Amateur Cup Final: Faversham 3 0 Erith & Belvedere played at the Bull Ground, Sittingbourne on 15.4.74?

Lily White
Junior Team Regular

May 21, 2018, 6:08 PM

Post #7 of 10 (1563 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnR] Kent Amateur Cup (Croneen Shield) history [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Do you by any chance have the attendance for the 1974 Kent Amateur Cup Final: Faversham 3 0 Erith & Belvedere played at the Bull Ground, Sittingbourne on 15.4.74?

No, that's one I'm missing. (It's not in the Kent Messenger, but could be in local papers of Faversham, Erith or Sittingbourne.)

JohnR
Junior Team Sub

May 22, 2018, 3:04 PM

Post #8 of 10 (1515 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lily White] Kent Amateur Cup (Croneen Shield) history [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Could not find anything in Faversham or Sittingbourne. I found a match report on line some time back, but no attendance. Another one which will be difficult to track down!

Chelsea Spud
Youth Team Regular

May 28, 2019, 9:52 PM

Team(s): Chelsea

Post #9 of 10 (258 views)
Shortcut

Hi mate

Could you let me know the results of 1972 & 1973 finals please and where they were played.

Thank you

Lily White
Junior Team Regular

May 29, 2019, 7:05 PM

Post #10 of 10 (199 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chelsea Spud] Kent Amateur Cup (Croneen Shield) history [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

1972 Faversham Town 2 Swanley Town 0 at Sheppey
1973 Faversham Town 1 Herne Bay 0 at Chatham

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3