First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 13, 2017, 8:27 AM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #1 of 46 (6963 views)
Shortcut
Wakefield Trinity RLFC Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wakefield Trinity will leave Belle Vue at the end of the 2017 season. A Sporting Life story recycling quotes from the Super League club chairman's notes in yesterday's programme for the Salford game. Ram Stadium, Dewsbury, the likely destination. Confirms what a Trinity season ticket-holder told me a few weeks ago:

https://www.sportinglife.com/...-to-leave-home/43956

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Mar 13, 2017, 8:30 AM)

Mike S
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 13, 2017, 9:06 AM

Post #2 of 46 (6931 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Wakefield Trinity RLFC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Is the ground being sold and demolished
if so Sheffield have lost another of their ever reducing options for venues for 2018

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 13, 2017, 9:22 AM

Post #3 of 46 (6915 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mike S] Wakefield Trinity RLFC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The story I was told recently suggested Wakefield were going to rebuild Belle Vue by swinging the pitch round 90 degrees. While the work was being done, Trinity would share Ram Stadium, Dewsbury. It seems no progress towards the redevelopment has been made, prompting the club's frustrated chairman to make this statement. Perhaps he is attempting to shame the city council into action, though why the local authority should bend over backwards for a rugby league club, I can't imagine. Are Trinity such an asset to Wakefield? Given the compact nature of the Belle Vue site, and the (let's be frank) horrible part of the city in which it is located, I don't suppose the land is worth very much. The most interesting aspect of this reported update is that Newcastle and Coventry are "thought to have expressed an interest in 'adopting' a Super League club at a purchase price of around £2m". Franchise RLFC in the offing? As for Sheffield Eagles, well, I suspect they are the last item of concern for Trinity.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Mar 13, 2017, 9:24 AM)

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 13, 2017, 7:31 PM

Post #4 of 46 (6837 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Wakefield Trinity RLFC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Featherstone Rovers offer to share Post Office Road with neighbours Wakefield Trinity:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/...ugby-league/39258431

windydcfc
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 13, 2017, 8:10 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #5 of 46 (6809 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The story I was told recently suggested Wakefield were going to rebuild Belle Vue by swinging the pitch round 90 degrees. While the work was being done, Trinity would share Ram Stadium, Dewsbury. It seems no progress towards the redevelopment has been made, prompting the club's frustrated chairman to make this statement. Perhaps he is attempting to shame the city council into action, though why the local authority should bend over backwards for a rugby league club, I can't imagine. Are Trinity such an asset to Wakefield? Given the compact nature of the Belle Vue site, and the (let's be frank) horrible part of the city in which it is located, I don't suppose the land is worth very much. The most interesting aspect of this reported update is that Newcastle and Coventry are "thought to have expressed an interest in 'adopting' a Super League club at a purchase price of around £2m". Franchise RLFC in the offing? As for Sheffield Eagles, well, I suspect they are the last item of concern for Trinity.

A little bit more on the franchise RL club situation & Bristol is added to the two places you've mentioned.
http://www.totalrl.com/...e-future-sport-lies/

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Mar 13, 2017, 8:41 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #6 of 46 (6794 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Featherstone Rovers offer to share Post Office Road with neighbours Wakefield Trinity:

How realistic is this? Would be great for all concerned , it's been years since i did this old ground and it would be great to go back.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 13, 2017, 9:04 PM

Post #7 of 46 (6772 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Wakefield Trinity RLFC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

How realistic is this? Would be great for all concerned , it's been years since i did this old ground and it would be great to go back.

Very realistic, I would've thought. Post Office Road now meets Super League standards whereas Belle Vue does not. It's only five miles from Wakefield to Featherstone. A much better option than Dewsbury, and one I can see happening.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Mar 13, 2017, 9:05 PM)

kirby knitters

Mar 13, 2017, 9:13 PM

Post #8 of 46 (6759 views)
Shortcut

You learn something new everyday. I wasn't aware that Fev had purchased a stand from Seamer Road. Looks good so let's hope it happens.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 13, 2017, 9:14 PM

Post #9 of 46 (6751 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Wakefield Trinity RLFC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
You learn something new everyday. I wasn't aware that Fev had purchased a stand from Seamer Road. Looks good so let's hope it happens.

That was a mistake in the BBC story: Rovers bought both Seamer Road's end stands not one. Done a very decent job of using them at POR.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Mar 13, 2017, 9:15 PM)

IAN S
First Team Star

Mar 14, 2017, 12:47 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #10 of 46 (6650 views)
Shortcut

Even with two new stands the place is still a shite hole and only marginally better than Belle Vue.

Saying that I wish Eagles had a ground like it.

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 14, 2017, 1:06 PM

Post #11 of 46 (6645 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] Wakefield Trinity RLFC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Even with two new stands the place is still a shite hole and only marginally better than Belle Vue.

Saying that I wish Eagles had a ground like it.

Having revisited POR last season and Belle Vue this, I can't agree with you, Ian. POR is a decent little stadium now, though whether it should be deemed fit to stage Super League games is another thing.

It's being reported, I gather, Wakefield had reached a verbal agreement with Featherstone over sharing POR before their chairman dropped his 'notice to quit' bombshell.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Mar 14, 2017, 1:09 PM)

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 21, 2017, 12:58 PM

Post #12 of 46 (6390 views)
Shortcut

Wherever Trinity end up playing next season, it seems it won't be Featherstone...

http://www.totalrl.com/...atherstone-approach/

007Dale
First Team Star

Mar 21, 2017, 1:20 PM

Post #13 of 46 (6377 views)
Shortcut

MK?

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 21, 2017, 1:27 PM

Post #14 of 46 (6373 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Wakefield Trinity RLFC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Might come down to Wakefield Council's response to the prospect of losing Trinity. Most Wakefield fans, with very good reason, abhor Wakefield Council and would be in favour of sharing with Dewsbury: Ram Stadium is close to Wakefield but about 100 yards inside Kirklees.

kirby knitters

Mar 21, 2017, 4:31 PM

Post #15 of 46 (6327 views)
Shortcut

And a bloody long walk from Dewsbury station for a Sunday fixture.Frown

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 21, 2017, 4:33 PM

Post #16 of 46 (6322 views)
Shortcut

And a fair chunk uphill, as I recall from my pre-driving student days!

kirby knitters

Mar 21, 2017, 4:39 PM

Post #17 of 46 (6315 views)
Shortcut

Yes made harder by a session in The Time Piece prior to that long long walk. The bus servicer is next to non existent on a Sunday.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 21, 2017, 4:41 PM

Post #18 of 46 (6310 views)
Shortcut

Should have said my destination was Crown Flatt, not quite as far as the new place. Ram Stadium was then barely a twinkle in Dewsbury's eye. :-)

Roger D
Youth Team Regular

Mar 23, 2017, 7:48 AM

Team(s): Prescot Panthers & Oxford RL

Post #19 of 46 (6160 views)
Shortcut

They may only need a ground fit for the Championship.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/...league-1-8454230/amp

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 23, 2017, 8:07 AM

Post #20 of 46 (6153 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Roger D] Wakefield Trinity RLFC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Given the glacial progress of the Bears and the Thunder, it's probably the only way either Coventry or Newcastle will get Super League rugby any time soon.

Meanwhile, Sheffield, Wakefield's soon-to-be-homeless tenants, are starting to panic:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/...egacy-park-1-8452002

kirby knitters

Mar 23, 2017, 9:46 AM

Post #21 of 46 (6132 views)
Shortcut

I take it a return to Bramhall Lane is out of the question even for a year or two?

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 23, 2017, 9:52 AM

Post #22 of 46 (6127 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I take it a return to Bramhall Lane is out of the question even for a year or two?

Bramall Lane is probably too expensive. Also, Sheffield United's stock is on the rise (not before time, my extended family of Wednesdayites would suggest), so I daresay Blades feel they don't need to bother helping out the rugby league team. It certainly wasn't an option this last winter when Eagles were desperately seeking a venue in Sheffield.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Mar 23, 2017, 9:52 AM)

Roger D
Youth Team Regular

Mar 23, 2017, 11:18 AM

Team(s): Prescot Panthers & Oxford RL

Post #23 of 46 (6105 views)
Shortcut

Wakefield sort of deny their SL place is up for sale.
http://www.totalrl.com/...uper-league-license/

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 23, 2017, 11:36 AM

Post #24 of 46 (6100 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Roger D] Wakefield Trinity RLFC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Wakefield sort of deny their SL place is up for sale.
http://www.totalrl.com/...uper-league-license/

Reads like a pretty strong denial to me! Carter says it's a "non-story". Fake news, I suppose...

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 23, 2017, 12:39 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #25 of 46 (6088 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

The problem with this idea is that Wakefield spend one season in the Championship playing at Belle Vue and get promoted back to SL and back to the same position they are in now with Belle Vue, unless they know a builder who can build a new stadium for £1 million.

(This post was edited by Tykeoldboy on Mar 23, 2017, 12:42 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3