http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/39924107

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

May 18, 2017, 6:42 AM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #2 of 10 (4748 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] The Ashes 2017-18 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Heard a really good discussion on this on I think the BBC's 'Stumped' programme? (on iplayer?) which was really informative.

I'd originally thought that it was just the top players trying to get more for themselves, but it seems to be totally the opposite in that the top players (Warner, Smith et al) are saying "We get plenty of cash thanks - but we'd like to make sure that our mates in the Sheffield Shield - where we learnt our craft - get a decent reward"

If that really is the case, then 'good on yer, cobbers' - but the amounts of money are eye watering...season salary in the 6 figures for the equivalent of a standard "county pro"???

And the other worrying thing was that Vaughn was pointing out that if someone like Stokes is offered say 250 000 to play in the IPL in May/June, why should he come back to play for a fraction of that in a Test in cold and damp England?

This lure of money will drag players away from long-form cricket leading to further demise of the "proper " game

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 18, 2017, 9:04 AM

Post #3 of 10 (4733 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] The Ashes 2017-18 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

"...cold, damp England..."

One of the points made in the Guardian article on TV coverage was that it is possible that the May Tests will be dropped from the schedule. Not before time if it happens.

Of course, the pay dispute in Australia is taking place in the land where the Packer business started 40 years ago. The BBC also covered that in a recent programme, with Ian Chappell in typically forthright form.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

May 18, 2017, 12:25 PM

Post #4 of 10 (4713 views)
Shortcut

Looking back to what it was then, Packer did have some good points - the way that county pros had to scrape a living in the winter and hope they'd be re employed the next summer was terrible

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 23, 2017, 11:52 PM

Post #5 of 10 (3669 views)
Shortcut

From the Cricinfo commentary:
Anorak corner: yesterday was the first time 11 men born in England made up a Test team since December 2003*, and only the sixth time since 1982. For all his South African connections, Malan was actually born in Roehampton, while the absent Ben Stokes hails from Christchurch, NZ.

*1st Test v. Sri Lanka at Galle. Nasser Hussain returned for the next match.
Trescothick
Vaughan
Butcher
Thorpe
Collingwood
Flintoff
Read
Batty
Giles
Johnson
Hoggard

(This post was edited by Mr. T on Nov 24, 2017, 12:12 AM)

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Nov 24, 2017, 7:16 AM

Post #6 of 10 (3645 views)
Shortcut

Not sure this might be taking the thread where it doesn't want to go, but I find this place of birth argument to be becoming increasingly irrelevant.

Part of me might look back in rose-tinted respect for sides that stuck to the geographic connotations of their name - viz..

the Liverpool side of 64ish, when, if memory serves, most of the team hailed from within 10 miles of the city centre.
Or the Tranmere team of around the turn of the 80s when (again trusting to memory) manager King played the same 12 for the first 30 games of the season, and 11 of them were Wirral lads
Or even Yorks CC sticking to their 'only born in Yorkshire' policy

But, for better or worse, the world has now moved on, and pretty much everything at a decent level is a franchise, a brand in some form or another rather than a club of people joining together to play a game.

So I've stopped worrying where it was that players popped out of the womb and are just more interested in if they are putting on a decent show for the increasingly crazy amount of dosh I'm being asked to shell out to watch them do their job.

Apologies if this takes things in the wrong direction!

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 24, 2017, 4:23 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #7 of 10 (3568 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Looking back to what it was then, Packer did have some good points - the way that county pros had to scrape a living in the winter and hope they'd be re employed the next summer was terrible

I recall reading somewhere that Packer was quoted at the time as saying that cricket was the easiest sport in the world to take over, as nobody had bothered to pay the players what they were worth.

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 27, 2017, 11:34 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #8 of 10 (3456 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] The Ashes 2017-18 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

What a pomnishambles!

scottywalds
First Team Star

Dec 11, 2017, 9:25 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #9 of 10 (3011 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] The Ashes 2017-18 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Flying out to Perth tomorrow... more than likely I shall see the wicket/run that sees us lose the urn.

Thankfully I'm out there for 3 weeks, and not just the cricket!

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 18, 2017, 7:52 PM

Post #10 of 10 (2785 views)
Shortcut

Stats of note so far (E, A):
Average score 260, 470
Overs per wicket 9, 15 (i.e. innings last 3 and 5 sessions respectively)

England are on course to match their unwanted record from 13-14 of losing all 100 wickets in a five-match series.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3