Editing other people's posts

AlanB
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 6, 2017, 9:49 AM

Team(s): Kent clubs in general

Post #1 of 9 (1390 views)
Shortcut
Editing other people's posts Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have set up a thread in Other Cups for the Kent Senior Cup. I have edited my original post a few times with results and fixture dates. This morning another member, 'derekn', has edited my post with two more results. Whilst nothing untoward has happened on this occasion, can I ask how anyone other than me can edit any of my posts? How has this happened?

kirby knitters
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 6, 2017, 10:06 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #2 of 9 (1387 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AlanB] Editing other people's posts [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

derekn is a moderator so can edit posts.

AlanB
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 6, 2017, 10:12 AM

Post #3 of 9 (1382 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Editing other people's posts [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Moderators should not be editing other people's posts except where they have broken any forum rules.

If he felt the need to update my thread, he should have used the 'Quote' and done it that way, although I am quite capable of looking after it myself.

I am extremely unhappy with this answer. Please give me an assurance that this will not happen again.

Richard Rundle

Sep 6, 2017, 11:22 AM

Post #4 of 9 (1361 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AlanB] Editing other people's posts [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Quite. This is not normal admin behaviour on any other forum I frequent. This should not be happening. It is perfectly easy (and probably makes the thread easier to follow as well) if new results are added as posts at the bottom of the thread, not added in later.

derekn
First Team Regular

Sep 6, 2017, 12:50 PM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #5 of 9 (1340 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Editing other people's posts [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

OK OK. I've apologised to Alan and won't be doing it again. I just found the results while I was updating one of my posts and thought I'd be helpful.

Tim

Sep 6, 2017, 2:12 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #6 of 9 (1320 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] Editing other people's posts [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I really like the way derekn does the cup threads - no scrolling down through endless posts each with one result in it. Seems a good way to do things to me.

AlanB
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 6, 2017, 2:21 PM

Post #7 of 9 (1316 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] Editing other people's posts [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

All sorted out now. I am happy with the replies that I have had. Thanks to those involved.

Richard Rundle

Sep 6, 2017, 3:15 PM

Post #8 of 9 (1298 views)
Shortcut

One advantage of adding results into a new post at the end of the thread is that it moves the thread back up to the top , and indicates a new post has been made with the "last updated" date updated.

Even if people do edit results in to the top post, a new post saying "results to 5th September now included" or something similar will have the same effect.

derekn
First Team Regular

Sep 6, 2017, 6:16 PM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #9 of 9 (1268 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Editing other people's posts [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Which is what I do

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3