Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
UK's busiest and quietest railway stations

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

gcnc
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 28, 2017, 8:20 AM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #226 of 259 (4929 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MrTangerineMan] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
What effect would a new station at Magor/Undy have on Severn Tunnel Junction?

Newport Road sounds good, but if you are going to serve East Cardiff then what about Splott? Platforms could be built on the slow lines and the entrance/exit could be from the bridge by the STAR Centre.

The Magor / Undy suggestion seems to have been replaced by a station to serve the new development on the site of Llanwern steelworks. People from Magor could certainly use that, and as you say, there is STJ and Caldicot stations for Undy and eastwards.

I suspect that both with that one, and the Splott / Newport Road decision, there is much more scope for a site with good parking facilities at Llanwern and on Newport Road. That probably effects the decision. In South East Wales, again Caerleon / Ponthir has been passed over. They are comparatively big settlements with more housing development and need a station as much as Magor / Undy.

This list of twelve doesn't suggest that the needs of groundhoppers have been taken into account - as if anything else mattered! Llangefni and Bow Street will be a little easier to get to though!

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 28, 2017, 10:41 PM

Post #227 of 259 (4866 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gcnc] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I agree, a station for Caerleon would have been a good call.

Hirwaun, St. Fagans (for the Welsh Folk Museum),Holywell and Kimmel Bay/Towyn would have been my choices for new stations in Wales.

(This post was edited by MrTangerineMan on Apr 28, 2017, 10:46 PM)

acmold

Apr 29, 2017, 8:34 AM

Post #228 of 259 (4823 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gcnc] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or

I'm always told by railway buffs that it's unlikely new stations will ever be built on mainlines as local trains can't be fitted in. Around here that's why a Wantage & Grove station has never happened, and why there is not a direct Bristol to Oxford service. No passenger trains use the western loop at Didcot these days they don't even keep it up to spec for passenger trains. If a train is diverted via the Chiltern line thaf happens if Reading is shut it has to go into Didcot and the driver has to go to the other engine unit.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 29, 2017, 10:36 AM

Post #229 of 259 (4797 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'm always told by railway buffs that it's unlikely new stations will ever be built on mainlines as local trains can't be fitted in. Around here that's why a Wantage & Grove station has never happened...

Plenty of new stations have been opened on mainlines in recent years. Timetables can be redrafted to accommodate extra stops. Where there might difficulty in doing this is on a route that is double track only and has a frequent number of high-speed services and long distances between existing stations e.g. the West Coast mainline from Lancaster to Carlisle.

To a certain extent this is the problem at Wantage Road. The station was double track only but there is now a four-track section of 3 miles immediately to the west the pointwork is at the station site. If the start of this was a little further to the east, there would be no difficulty in reinstating the station.

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

May 3, 2017, 6:45 AM

Post #230 of 259 (4583 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A cross-country route from Bristol to Oxford via new stations at Corsham and Royal Wootton Bassett was mentioned a few years back, so a station at Wantage (on the loops?) could potentially be added as part of this route if it ever does see the light of day.

However, it might be difficult to do, given the frequency of HST's/Class 800s travelling between Swindon & London, London-Oxford stopping trains (unless they can attach/detach at Appleford or Didcot Parkway) and the various Cross Country trains from Reading to Manchester or Newcastle.

(This post was edited by MrTangerineMan on May 3, 2017, 6:46 AM)

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

May 3, 2017, 6:50 AM

Post #231 of 259 (4580 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Will be sad to see the HST's go, although it looks as if some will be enjoying twilight years in Scotland and possibly on Cardiff-Penzance services as well (shortened formation).

One rumour is that some of the 159s may be taken off the Waterloo-Salisbury-Exeter route and given over to FGW/Arriva/Northern in order to replace 142/143/144 Pacer services. This would allow shortened 2x5/6 HST Services to operate along this line (and HST's have used this line in the not too distant past!)

acmold

May 3, 2017, 8:48 AM

Post #232 of 259 (4571 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MrTangerineMan] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
A cross-country route from Bristol to Oxford via new stations at Corsham and Royal Wootton Bassett was mentioned a few years back, so a station at Wantage (on the loops?) could potentially be added as part of this route if it ever does see the light of day.

However, it might be difficult to do, given the frequency of HST's/Class 800s travelling between Swindon & London, London-Oxford stopping trains (unless they can attach/detach at Appleford or Didcot Parkway) and the various Cross Country trains from Reading to Manchester or Newcastle.

There was a Oxford to Bristol direct train about 15 years or more ago, forget where it stopped but it went into Didcot instead of using the loop and stopped at Swindon. I used it a few times and it was always well used, after a year or so they cut it out stating it was not being used enough which was not the case it was fitting it in along side the other trains. It was very useful if going to South Wales as you could get a Oxford to Swindon return, then rebook at Swindon, this was in preonline booking. That halved the the cost of the tickets!.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 13, 2017, 5:02 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #233 of 259 (3660 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
One assumes that Shippea Hill only had 6 people using it (assuming returns)

Seriously, what's the point?

Earlier this year I read the book 'Tiny Stations' by Dixe Wills, in which the auther spent much of 2013 travelling around 36 of Britain's more than 150 request-stop railway stations. In the chapter on Denton railway station (which is on the Stockport-to-Stalybridge line and has just one request-service stopping a week, called The Denton Flyer), he says:

"It boils down to one thing: economics. The weekly Stockport to Stalybridge service is maintained because a Network Rail report concluded that the cost of closing Denton and [neighbouring] Reddish South and withdrawing the route altogether would be more expensive, once closure notices and objections had been taken into account, than continuing this solitary one-way Friday service. In 2010 someone ran through the sums and calculated that it cost a bargain 96 per run. This works out at just 4,992 per annum (and 96 less than that in yaers when Christmas Day falls on a Friday), equating roughly to the amount a barrister would charge you to make a photocopy or to think about stapling a document. Suddenly, running one train a week for the benefit of almost nobody seemed like good value for money and most sensible idea anyone ever had.

And that, in a nutshell, is what is called a parliamentary train - a service kept running at the barest level possible to maintain a legal fiction that a station or stations are still open. There are more than a score of them across Britain (all but one of them in England, as far as I can tell) and they operate either for the same reason as the Denton Flyer or because the rail franchisee is contractually bound to run a service and so follows the letter of the law if not the spirit.

The term 'parliamentary train is derived from a progressive Act of Parliament called the Railway Regulations Act. It was brought in by proto-Communist Prime Ministed Sir Robert Peel in 1844 in order that poorer people might be able to afford to travel. It enforced the provision of 'at least one train a day each way at a speed of not less than 12 miles an hour including stops, which were to be made at all stations, and of carriages protected from the weather and provided with seats; for all which luxuries not more than a penny a mile might be charged'. It's instructive that the writers of the Act anticipated that the private railway companies would attempt to get around the new law by running non-stopping seatless, roofless trains that crawled along so slowly that their penny-a-mile fares would still make them unattractive to passengers when compared with normal services. Clearly, the parliamentarians understood the stuff of which the men in these boardrooms were made.

Shamefully, this Act is no longer in force but the derogatory name such trains were given at the time (and which gets an airing in Gilbert and Sullivan's 'The Mikado', no less) got passed on to any train that runs for some other purpose than to provide a service for would-be travellers. Nowadays, parliamentary trains are also sometimes known as 'ghost trains'. Our old friend Shippea Hill is an obvious example of a station 'served' by such trains, as is Teesside Airport, which was made virtually redundant when the entrance to the airport was moved, though it somehow avoided being made a request stop."

Since first attempting the Tube Challenge last year, I starting watching the railway videos of Geoff Marshall, a bloke from London who has held the World Record for the fastest completion of the Tube Challenge on several occasions over the past dozen or so years.

At the moment, he and his girlfriend Vicky are attempting to visit all 2563 mainline railway stations in Britain. Last week, on Saturday 3rd June, they started their 28th day from Shippea Hill before taking in the new station at Cambridge North, then most of Norfolk and Suffolk. Here are a couple of videos: first a bit of history about Shippea Hill...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u9txoAsIKg

...and then the day of travel starting at Shippea Hill...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01AJAWHNd5o

As of the start of today, they've visited 1057 stations, with 1506 to go.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 17, 2017, 3:52 PM

Post #234 of 259 (3461 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Along with stations at Cambridge North and at Ilkeston, a third new railway station for 2017 opened on 2nd April at...

Low Moor

...serving the villages of Low Moor and Oakenshaw in the southern suburbs of Bradford, on the line out of Bradford Interchange towards Halifax. It is now the closest railway station to the Odsal Stadium, about one mile away.

acmold

Jun 17, 2017, 4:09 PM

Post #235 of 259 (3454 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or

I've been watching them on YouTube and following them on Twitter. He comes across as someone who is straight out of a "Groundhopper" mold (look at my collection of all line maps) and some of his mates are a couple of Anoraks further up the scale. The young lady Vicky comes across very well and has got better as the journey has progressed. They do struggle with some pronunciations, St Botolphs being a prime example.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 17, 2017, 4:27 PM

Post #236 of 259 (3446 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
He comes across as someone who is straight out of a "Groundhopper" mold (look at my collection of all line maps)

...I know he likes his gadgets, but is his dress-sense really that bad?!

In Reply To
and some of his mates are a couple of Anoraks further up the scale.

...but, yes, I'll agree with you on that one! Wink

scottywalds
First Team Star

Jun 17, 2017, 6:59 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #237 of 259 (3410 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Along with stations at Cambridge North and at Ilkeston, a third new railway station for 2017 opened on 2nd April at...

Low Moor

...serving the villages of Low Moor and Oakenshaw in the southern suburbs of Bradford, on the line out of Bradford Interchange towards Halifax. It is now the closest railway station to the Odsal Stadium, about one mile away.

And therefore BPA, too.

acmold

Jun 18, 2017, 9:07 PM

Post #238 of 259 (3324 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or

Looked up Vicky surname Pipe. Actually does other presenting has worked in the Theatre and has had thespian training, also a stand up comedian / monologuist who has done a one Women show at the Edinburgh fringe festival a couple of times.

(This post was edited by acmold on Jun 18, 2017, 9:09 PM)

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 25, 2017, 5:49 PM

Post #239 of 259 (3058 views)
Shortcut

Another episode, this time including information about Stourbridge Junction and Stourbridge Town stations, and the Class 139 Parry People Mover that runs between the two...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY6pEVFrWEk

...plus a bit about the new station at Bromsgrove, and a bit about Rugeley too.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 8, 2017, 2:00 PM

Post #240 of 259 (2273 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Low Moor

And therefore BPA, too.

I used the new Low Moor railway station last night to get to and from the match at Bradford Park Avenue. It's about a one mile walk to the ground, though it's a steep uphill climb on the way to the football (and obviously a much easier downhill walk on the way back!)

There were at least a dozen Avenue fans at the station waiting for the train afterwards just before 10pm back into Bradford Interchange

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 8, 2017, 7:58 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #241 of 259 (2205 views)
Shortcut

I think she's a bit of a minx personally...would love to see
her scrubbed up in a short skirt and killer heels....

I'm quite enjoying it to be honest. Nobody expects it to be
that professional but it does what it says on the tin - apart
from the odd pronunciation and factual error - there's an
Indian restaurant on Harold Wood station too.

Play-off programmes wanted: 2004 Basingstoke v Lewes. 2005 Droylsden v Kettering, Maldon v Barking, Maldon v Uxbridge. 2006 Brackley v Marlow, Kendal v Stocksbridge. 2007 Paulton v Taunton, Tooting v Hastings. 2008 Stourbridge v Sutton Coldfield, Didcot v Oxford City, Tooting v Worthing, Sheffield v Stocksbridge. 2009 East Thurrock v Concord, Ilkeston v Kendal, Nantwich v Guiseley, Stocksbridge v Carlton. 2014 Tiverton v Paulton. 2015 Darlington v Bamber Bridge.

PaulC

Aug 9, 2017, 7:58 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #242 of 259 (2149 views)
Shortcut

On Monday I caught the train to Pleasington which is a request stop. The driver was poking his head out the window at Blackburn station so I told him and he noted it down.

I told the conductor on board and he looked dumbfounded. "What does tha want to go theer foor? No bugger lives theer"

What an old tin can of a train running from Burnley to Blackpool. I think I must be spoiled by the quality of trains which run on the Glasgow-Ayr line.

(This post was edited by PaulC on Aug 9, 2017, 7:59 AM)

acmold

Aug 9, 2017, 9:04 AM

Post #243 of 259 (2136 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
I think she's a bit of a minx personally...would love to see
her scrubbed up in a short skirt and killer heels....

I'm quite enjoying it to be honest. Nobody expects it to be
that professional but it does what it says on the tin - apart
from the odd pronunciation and factual error - there's an
Indian restaurant on Harold Wood station too.

If you look at some of her actually videos on You Tube she does look a lot different and I think this is a persona for the trip. A sort trainspotting Harry Potter groundhopper look.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 9, 2017, 9:57 AM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #244 of 259 (2126 views)
Shortcut

Whatever....still shagable though....Sly

Play-off programmes wanted: 2004 Basingstoke v Lewes. 2005 Droylsden v Kettering, Maldon v Barking, Maldon v Uxbridge. 2006 Brackley v Marlow, Kendal v Stocksbridge. 2007 Paulton v Taunton, Tooting v Hastings. 2008 Stourbridge v Sutton Coldfield, Didcot v Oxford City, Tooting v Worthing, Sheffield v Stocksbridge. 2009 East Thurrock v Concord, Ilkeston v Kendal, Nantwich v Guiseley, Stocksbridge v Carlton. 2014 Tiverton v Paulton. 2015 Darlington v Bamber Bridge.

scottywalds
First Team Star

Aug 11, 2017, 8:22 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #245 of 259 (1988 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Low Moor

And therefore BPA, too.

I used the new Low Moor railway station last night to get to and from the match at Bradford Park Avenue. It's about a one mile walk to the ground, though it's a steep uphill climb on the way to the football (and obviously a much easier downhill walk on the way back!)

There were at least a dozen Avenue fans at the station waiting for the train afterwards just before 10pm back into Bradford Interchange

So it still seems easier just to get the bus (via Plus Bus with your train ticket) that drops/picks up at the top of Cemetery Road

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 15, 2017, 11:01 AM

Post #246 of 259 (1858 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

While travelling home from Manchester on the train yesterday, I managed to grab a glimpse of the remains of Norton Bridge railway station, a few miles north of Stafford just where the line splits for Crewe and Stoke-On-Trent.

Apparently, the footbridge that connected the island platforms with the outside world was removed in 2004 to improve freight clearance. Since then, the passenger train service has been replaced by a bus service. Understandably, passenger numbers dropped from previously nearly 5,000 a year to just 585 in 2005/06, and the authorities stopped counting passenger numbers altogether in 2007.

With a passenger train not having made a scheduled stop at Norton Bridge for thirteen years, the official closure of the station has been set for 15th October 2017.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 15, 2017, 11:29 AM

Post #247 of 259 (1854 views)
Shortcut

It was a surprise that Norton Bridge survived so long. The three nearest wayside stations on that line, Great Bridgeford, Standon Bridge and Whitmore, closed between 1949 and 1952. It's a very rural area.

It presumably functioned as much as an interchange station as for local passengers. The junction has been improved with the addition of a flyover so the need to have an interchange to reduce conflicting traffic movements has gone.

(This post was edited by Mr. T on Aug 15, 2017, 11:31 AM)

dottirofhod

Aug 15, 2017, 11:39 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #248 of 259 (1844 views)
Shortcut

Such a shame, used it when I walked to Eccleshall F C.

Eng. 0- 0- 0- 0 -0- ( 0- 0) - ( I=0- N=0-S= 0 )- (IN =0 -IS=1 - NN=1- NS=0 - SC=-0-SC=0 ) - (CC= 1- 0-0 -0- 0-0- 0- 0-0-0-0- 0-0 -0) - ( 0- 0- 0 -0- 0- 0 -0- 0- 0- 0- 0- 0 -0 -0 -0 -0- 0). TBC.

Benelux.
B. 0-0-0 - ( 0- 0 - 0 -0) - ( 0- 1 - 0 - 0)
L. 0 -0.
N. 0 -0 -0.

Iberia.
P. 0 - 1.

Sp. 1 - 1.

I have impeccable credentials.

kirby knitters

Aug 15, 2017, 12:27 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #249 of 259 (1817 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

With 10 platforms already out of action due to engineering work and now with this mornings farcial goings on at Waterloo does this lovely station deserve a mention.Sly

Kirby Muxloe FC.
Former proud members of The Midland Football League.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 14, 2017, 4:12 AM

Post #250 of 259 (1216 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Geoff Marshall and Vikki Pipe completed their trip around all 2,563 British railway stations on the evening of Saturday 19th August, when they reached Wick (...I think at about the same time that me and TheWav were snuggling into yet another couple of pints of Salamanda porter in the brilliant 'Waggon & Horses' in Halesowen).

Here is a montage of some of their drone footage from their trip, including spectacular shots of Shippea Hill, Barmouth, Ribblehead Viaduct, the Forth Bridge, Corrour and other places...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cA_5Wyv6GU

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3