County Championship

Barbie
First Team Regular

Sep 22, 2017, 4:10 PM

Team(s): Rye United RIP, Barry Town Utd

Post #1 of 7 (1687 views)
Shortcut
County Championship Can't Post or Reply Privately

As I write, it's all getting a bit 'squeaky bum' in the relegation battle.
If Somerset manage to win at The Oval (a distinct possibility at the time of writing), any 1 of 6 teams (inc 2nd placed Lancs) could be relegated after the upcoming last round of matches.

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 22, 2017, 5:16 PM

Post #2 of 7 (1667 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barbie] County Championship [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Assuming Surrey win today (they need 14 runs with 6 wickets left, as I type) they and Lancs are both safe. That leaves one winner-takes-all match in the final round (Somerset vs Middlesex), one dead-rubber (Lancs vs Surrey) and two other sides looking for points against teams with nowt to play for:

Essex (n/a) vs Yorkshire (8)
Lancashire (n/a) vs Surrey (n/a)
Somerset (-) vs Middlesex (10)
Warwickshire (n/a) vs Hampshire (13)

(numbers in brackets = points required to assure safety)

The match at Taunton is where it will all be decided. If Somerset fail to beat Middlesex then they will almost certainly be down. Only a full set of bonus points in a draw, coupled with Hampshire losing without any bonus points would change that. Yorkshire can stay up by losing if they get full bonus points.

I wonder if there is any scope for unsporting play from Middlesex? It's unlikely, but they could scrape home with a defeat if the bonus points worked out right for them.

(This post was edited by cope1 on Sep 22, 2017, 5:22 PM)

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 22, 2017, 6:51 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #3 of 7 (1639 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] County Championship [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's been a strange season in CC1. 6 teams in a relegation battle, Warwickshire already down and Essex runaway champions. Is this due to evenly matched teams in CC1 or Essex being an outstanding side and the rest being very poor?

Barbie
First Team Regular

Sep 22, 2017, 8:19 PM

Team(s): Rye United RIP, Barry Town Utd

Post #4 of 7 (1622 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] County Championship [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes, I rather put the mockers on Somerset's comeback - no sooner did I post than Surrey put together a partnership to get themselves out of trouble.
Had Somerset won, there would have been 1 team on 140, 3 on 143 and 1 on 156.
There was talk on the radio that Essex had been the only team who had been able to consistently force a result.
Additionally, with only 8 teams in the top flight, relegating 25% was always going to leave a situation where things might be tight (though it seems a bit strange that, going into the last game, there are teams in contention for both runner up and relegation)

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Sep 23, 2017, 7:59 AM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #5 of 7 (1555 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barbie] County Championship [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Indeed - see also Scots Div 1 and 2 in recent seasons.

Must admit I'm pretty fed up with how the powers that be are treating the CC.

Cricket is a summer game - yet its allegedly premier competition (in that its the one that demonstrates the widest variety of skills) is condemned to start in mid April, effectively take a couple of months off in mid summer and end in the last week of September, after the autumn equinox! The competition will be sponsored by Damart soon.

Since it's now a given that England players aren't going to feature for their counties and we can assume that CC games can take place at the same time as Test Matches, can't we just return to 18 weeks between May and start of Sept with a CC set of games every week from Mon-Thu or Tue-Fri and actually play the proper game at the proper time of year?

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 26, 2017, 2:49 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #6 of 7 (1430 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] County Championship [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Indeed - see also Scots Div 1 and 2 in recent seasons.

Must admit I'm pretty fed up with how the powers that be are treating the CC.

Cricket is a summer game - yet its allegedly premier competition (in that its the one that demonstrates the widest variety of skills) is condemned to start in mid April, effectively take a couple of months off in mid summer and end in the last week of September, after the autumn equinox! The competition will be sponsored by Damart soon.

Since it's now a given that England players aren't going to feature for their counties and we can assume that CC games can take place at the same time as Test Matches, can't we just return to 18 weeks between May and start of Sept with a CC set of games every week from Mon-Thu or Tue-Fri and actually play the proper game at the proper time of year?

Well said.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 26, 2017, 5:33 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #7 of 7 (1410 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] County Championship [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There must be a good few people getting fed up with the way Leics CCC are treating the CC.

If I were a Notts member my heart would have sank on looking at the final round of games though it must be said they have not helped themselves today in the quest for promotion.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3