Rugby Union - Artificial Pitches

AndrewG
First Team Star

Dec 4, 2017, 11:41 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 19 (7144 views)
Shortcut
Rugby Union - Artificial Pitches Can't Post or Reply Privately

With winter upon us, I thought it might be useful to have a thread listing the ever increasing number of clubs who have what the RFU describe as AGP's - artificial grass pitches.

It is worth adding that rugby clubs may have an artificial surface on an outside pitch, and because grading regulations are not as stringent as with football, games may be switched, but I'd rather keep this list to clubs whose main pitch is artificial.

The following, to the best of my knowledge, have installed artificial pitches, at their own expense.

Newcastle
Saracens
Ealing
Rosslyn Park
Loughborough Students
Maidenhead
Burnage
Dings Crusaders (new ground due to open Jan-18)

Meanwhile, the RFU is committed to spending £50 million as part of the 2015 World Cup legacy installing 100 AGP's over a four year period (I am assuming some of these may be at schools rather than clubs).

The first three of these opened early this year, namely

Preston Grasshoppers
Aylesbury
Hornets (based in Weston-super-Mare)

The second stage added five more clubs

Billingham
Keighley
Shelford
Stourbridge
Derby

All of these are now in use with the exception of Derby, and that had an estimated completion of Dec-17, so should not be long.

In Scotland, there are surprisingly few artificial pitches on club grounds. I have a document from Scottish Rugby, dated 3/11/17, and only 17 pitches are approved for use - most are primarily football grounds or sports centres/schools. The only regular ground I can see on there is at Scotstoun. However, North Berwick is listed, and satellite view on google maps suggests everything there is grass, so if this one is new it may be the main pitch. Also, worth noting that in Galashiels, the Netherdale 3G Arena (ie the football ground) is listed, but I seem to recall the rugby pitch had undersoil heating - no idea though if this is still operational!

In Wales, only Cardiff Arms Park, Merthyr and whoever uses the CCB Centre at Ystrad Mynach (Penallta ?) spring readily to mind, but I suspect there may be more.

Any additions that anyone can make would be gratefully received.

(This post was edited by AndrewG on Dec 4, 2017, 11:45 PM)

jrev61
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 5, 2017, 10:39 AM

Team(s): None

Post #2 of 19 (7083 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndrewG] Rugby Union - Artificial Pitches [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Judging by photos on their website a couple of years ago, it looks like Brighton RUFC play on a 3G pitch. It is a cage with some terracing behind one goal, but outside the cage.
Not a 'ground' I would rush to if I was still watching Rugby Union.
This may of course be their second pitch.

jrev61

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 16, 2017, 10:50 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #3 of 19 (6780 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndrewG] Rugby Union - Artificial Pitches [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Wales, only Cardiff Arms Park, Merthyr and whoever uses the CCB Centre at Ystrad Mynach (Penallta ?) spring readily to mind, but I suspect there may be more.

I believe Pontypridd's Sardis Road ground is now 3g, unless this is an outside pitch rather than the main ground. After spotting that Cambrian Welfare v Abercynon in Div 2 East Central today was kicking off at 5pm I checked their website and found it wasn't being played at their own ground in Tonypandy but at Sardis Road 3g.

ciderjon
First Team Star

Dec 17, 2017, 10:10 PM

Team(s): Bristol Sonics RL (RIP)

Post #4 of 19 (6653 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Rugby Union - Artificial Pitches [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cherryhopper, you are correct, Sardis Rd is 3G

Last new Welsh beer: Brew Monster Rye IPA dr

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Mar 16, 2018, 10:52 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #5 of 19 (4803 views)
Shortcut

Looks as though Whitley Bay Rockcliff (Durham & Northumberland Division Two) are getting an AGP. No idea who is paying for it. The final game on their grass pitch, a 15-13 win over local rivals North Shields, took place on March 10.

For sporting (and other) images, visit https://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/

Ground/venue totals: Football 899; Rugby Union 261; Rugby League 213; Cricket 125; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Mar 16, 2018, 10:54 PM)

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Mar 31, 2018, 9:02 AM

Post #6 of 19 (4621 views)
Shortcut

Add North Bristol to the list...

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/...-secures-new-1397610

Ground/venue totals: Football 899; Rugby Union 261; Rugby League 213; Cricket 125; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Mar 31, 2018, 9:04 AM)

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 2, 2018, 12:29 AM

Post #7 of 19 (4477 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
In Scotland, there are surprisingly few artificial pitches on club grounds. I have a document from Scottish Rugby, dated 3/11/17, and only 17 pitches are approved for use - most are primarily football grounds or sports centres/schools. The only regular ground I can see on there is at Scotstoun. However, North Berwick is listed, and satellite view on google maps suggests everything there is grass, so if this one is new it may be the main pitch. Also, worth noting that in Galashiels, the Netherdale 3G Arena (ie the football ground) is listed, but I seem to recall the rugby pitch had undersoil heating - no idea though if this is still operational!

Murrayfield Wanderers play on the 3G pitch behind the main stadium. There is also a 3G rugby pitch which I have passed on the A7 on the Southern edge of Hawick with a lovely old main stand. It is the home ground Hawick Linden, who play in the East Regional League Division 2.

Seagull
First Team Star

Sep 4, 2018, 7:26 AM

Post #8 of 19 (3756 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Rugby Union - Artificial Pitches [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Chester National League 2 North opened their new AGP last weekend.

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 4, 2018, 8:01 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #9 of 19 (3752 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Rugby Union - Artificial Pitches [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Murrayfield Wanderers play on the 3G pitch behind the main stadium. There is also a 3G rugby pitch which I have passed on the A7 on the Southern edge of Hawick with a lovely old main stand. It is the home ground Hawick Linden, who play in the East Regional League Division 2.

Cumnock Rugby Club will have two synthetic surfaces on their new ground. Due for completion, January 2019.

Mike S
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 4, 2018, 8:21 AM

Post #10 of 19 (3744 views)
Shortcut

Just noticed this re Penalta

They have their own ground next to the centre of excellence so still grass

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Sep 4, 2018, 2:14 PM

Post #11 of 19 (3701 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Rugby Union - Artificial Pitches [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Looks as though Whitley Bay Rockcliff (Durham & Northumberland Division Two) are getting an AGP. No idea who is paying for it. The final game on their grass pitch, a 15-13 win over local rivals North Shields, took place on March 10.

Whitley Bay Rockcliff host an 'Artificial Pitch Opening Weekend' on September 14-16. The pitch was laid by Maryport-based SIS Pitches, and used for the first time in August. On the Friday, Rockcliff Vets play Novos Vets (7.30); on the Saturday, Rockcliff's first XV plays Sedgefield in a Durham & Northumberland Two fixture (3.0) followed by a live music and street food evening; on the Sunday, there is a Northumberland RFU U15s festival.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Sep 4, 2018, 2:16 PM)

AndrewG
First Team Star

Sep 5, 2018, 1:21 AM

Team(s):

Post #12 of 19 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Western Counties North side Cheltenham appear to have a newly laid artificial pitch this season.

AndrewG
First Team Star

Sep 9, 2018, 7:50 PM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 19 (3508 views)
Shortcut

And two more new ones for this season, at Blaydon and Oxford Harlequins.

simonblues
Youth Team Regular

Sep 9, 2018, 8:37 PM

Post #14 of 19 (3496 views)
Shortcut

At Walsall Rugby Club we played our first league match of the new season v Crewe & Nantwich on saturday on our new artificial surface.

The official opening is on Saturday 29th Sept v Ludlow.

Match programme available to download for all home games.

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Sep 9, 2018, 8:48 PM

Post #15 of 19 (3490 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simonblues] Rugby Union - Artificial Pitches [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Milford Haven play on 3G inside a cage.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 9, 2018, 10:43 PM

Post #16 of 19 (3459 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The second stage added five more clubs

Billingham
Keighley
Shelford
Stourbridge
Derby

All of these are now in use with the exception of Derby, and that had an estimated completion of Dec-17, so should not be long.

Derby played the first match on their new AGP yesterday, a 12-11 win over Sandbach. Listened to a feature on them on BBC Radio Derbyshire whilst driving up to Holbrook on Friday evening.

Seagull
First Team Star

Sep 14, 2018, 7:29 AM

Post #17 of 19 (3394 views)
Shortcut

Penrith can also now be added to the list.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Nov 9, 2018, 9:47 AM

Post #18 of 19 (234 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Seagull] Rugby Union - Artificial Pitches [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Penrith can also now be added to the list.

From the online version of this week's Cumberland & Westmorland Herald, Penrith's weekly newspaper:

Barely anyone is using the new £800,000 artificial grass pitch at Penrith Rugby Club’s Winters Park ground, according to the man behind bookings for it.

The RFU-funded pitch, which opened in September, is used by rugby club teams for matches and training, and football clubs Penrith AFC and Westmorland League side Wetheriggs United have also started using it for training, but other than that it stands unused for much of the time.

Mark Forster, who works on behalf of the RFU selling space on all the England365 3G rugby pitches, of which Penrith RUFC is one, said: “We are disappointed at the level of booking for what is an industry leading product."

Seagull
First Team Star

Nov 9, 2018, 3:48 PM

Post #19 of 19 (196 views)
Shortcut

Is that really such a surprise in such a relatively sparsely populated area, especially when compared to other RFU funded installations.

Also they don't come cheap to rent.

Ours at Preston is in use continually and the club only get 12 to 15 hours a week on it. Any extra time beyond that has to be paid for, albeit at a reduced rate to an outside rental. I suspect it's generating a very good return for the RFU, whilst the club benefits from its continual use through bar and catering revenues.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3