Crewe to Cornwall!

Trevor P
First Team Star

Dec 7, 2017, 9:18 AM

Team(s): Torquay United/Dawlish United

Post #1 of 6 (2126 views)
Shortcut
Crewe to Cornwall! Can't Post or Reply Privately

This one's really for beer fans and especially those who come from the Crewe area. On December 2nd. I visited Redruth United (see WDYG thread) and, as part of my pre-match entertainment, I called in at the Coastal Brewery on the Cardrew Industrial Estate. Turns out this brewery was founded by Alan Hinde in 2006 after he & his family had moved to Cornwall the previous year from Crewe. After working for the railways, Alan became the landlord at the "Borough Arms" in Crewe where he developed his liking for strong Belgian beers and decided to set up his own brewing operation when the right opportunity arose. I'm happy to report that the venture has been a great success and that various awards have been won by his beers. I've yet to meet up with Alan as he'd already left Crewe by the time I visited the excellent pub he ran there and, as it happened, he was not brewing on the 2nd. and had taken some time off. No doubt I'll come across him on some future occasion when I'm in the town and looking to do the pasty & porter "double" : Rowe's Pasties & Coastal's Cornish Porter!

lovin spoonful
Reserve Team Sub

Dec 7, 2017, 7:59 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1943 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Trevor P] Crewe to Cornwall! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The best pasties are from Philp's in Hayle.

Last 0-0 draw: Friday 04/11/2016 Bodmin Town v Plymouth Parkway

thowdreds
Youth Team Star

Dec 8, 2017, 8:27 AM

Team(s): Accrington Stanley, Blackburn Rovers, BurnleyLeicester City, Halesowen Town

Post #3 of 6 (1855 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lovin spoonful] Crewe to Cornwall! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'll second that.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 8, 2017, 8:42 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #4 of 6 (1739 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
This one's really for beer fans and especially those who come from the Crewe area. On December 2nd. I visited Redruth United (see WDYG thread) and, as part of my pre-match entertainment, I called in at the Coastal Brewery on the Cardrew Industrial Estate. Turns out this brewery was founded by Alan Hinde in 2006 after he & his family had moved to Cornwall the previous year from Crewe. After working for the railways, Alan became the landlord at the "Borough Arms" in Crewe where he developed his liking for strong Belgian beers and decided to set up his own brewing operation when the right opportunity arose. I'm happy to report that the venture has been a great success and that various awards have been won by his beers. I've yet to meet up with Alan as he'd already left Crewe by the time I visited the excellent pub he ran there and, as it happened, he was not brewing on the 2nd. and had taken some time off. No doubt I'll come across him on some future occasion when I'm in the town and looking to do the pasty & porter "double" : Rowe's Pasties & Coastal's Cornish Porter!

I agree with you there, Trevor!

TheWavendonian and I visited the Borough Arms in Crewe last May, while getting in a double at the Cumberland Arena and Gresty Road. An excellent range and really nice people.

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 17, 2017, 4:17 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #5 of 6 (1417 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
This one's really for beer fans and especially those who come from the Crewe area.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes grew up with Alan at the Alex .

After leaving the Railways Alan became head brewer at The Rising Sun at Shraley Brook where he brewed ''Rising'' , ''Setting'' & ''Total Eclipse''. The Eclipse was brewed from OG 1080 , its final ABV was variable , some of the bottles found which had been left a while were very high ABV.

He then went on to run The Albion in Mill St , ideal for pre match Alex , punters (away fans) were always welcome to the Cheese & Biscuits pre game feast. This started with me taking some cheese to the first game of one season and then everybody else took a turn , of course always trying to better the previous. Remember my last cheese bill was about 30.
We had our fallings out and I probably had more bans than I've had on here.

He decided after a few years the way to go was a new gaffe ( let him tell you why Trevor) and an old pub/restaurant was available on Earle St bridge.He invested in this and it needed refurbishing which as a carpenter he was able to do a lot himself. He had a small loan from myself which he promptly paid back and he was ready for opening The Borough Arms.

As time went by which included many visits to Belgium Abbeys for us to pick up beers he became restless and he decided to build a brewery in the cellar at the Borough.This from scratch meant a lot more work and I enjoyed trips to Rossington where there was a plant where he could see and buy what was needed to start his brewery. This was eventually finished and he brewed his own beers. Despite his love of Belgium beers he loved brewing very hoppy strong light beers. Much to my liking also.The brewery is still there but seldomly used nowadays . (Think Michelle may have used it ?)

His health took a turn for the worse and he and the family decided to get away from it all in Cornwall. Obviously he had a lot of spare time on his hands and hey presto another brewery.

If you ever meet him Trevor ask him if my ''Life Ban'' still stands and then stand well back.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 67 / 57 / 10 / inc 2 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 16 / 09 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-3(Act 4- Frosinone new ground)./ Iberia = P = 0-1 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on Dec 17, 2017, 4:19 AM)

Trevor P
First Team Star

Dec 17, 2017, 7:07 AM

Team(s): Torquay United/Dawlish United

Post #6 of 6 (1405 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Crewe to Cornwall! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Great background info, Hoddy! I'll certainly follow up as you suggest if we ever do meet!

Cheers.

Trevor

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3