FA Vase Equivalents

AndyE
First Team Star

Jan 7, 2018, 4:30 PM

Team(s): Chatham Town

Post #1 of 9 (1793 views)
Shortcut
FA Vase Equivalents Can't Post or Reply Privately

Which countries have anything that might be considered a comparable competition?

The Scottish Junior Cup is an obvious example. Teams play against teams that they wouldn't normally play, the final is played at a ground where these teams wouldn't normally play, the teams who take part take it seriously, and the later rounds draw big crowds.

Germany and the Netherlands strike me as countries which probably "ought" to have something similar, although I don't know whether they actually do. Others?

leohoenig
Administrator

Jan 8, 2018, 12:12 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #2 of 9 (1722 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] FA Vase Equivalents [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Regional cups are common across Europe, Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany and France all have regional competitions - but as far as I know they do not have a national competition for "lower" clubs.
Italy has Copa Italia Serie C and Copa Italia Serie D - which I believe are exactly what it says on the box
I think there may be something like this in Spain as well

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 8, 2018, 9:58 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #3 of 9 (1646 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] FA Vase Equivalents [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Spain has the Copa Federacion for Div 2B and 3 teams. Not all teams appear to enter.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/...3%B3n_de_Espa%C3%B1a

jrev61

Jan 8, 2018, 10:56 AM

Team(s): None

Post #4 of 9 (1623 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] FA Vase Equivalents [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm sure Germany used to have an 'Amateur Cup'. No idea whether this is still going or not. It was often won by Bundesliga 'amateur' sides. I suppose this would be the equivalent of the FA Trophy rather than the Vase.
Italy also had an Amateur Cup as the winners played the winners of the FA Amateur Cup for a couple of seasons.
I assume that the definition of 'Amateur' for the above competitions would be 'not full time professional' rather than 'receives no payment for playing football'.

cope1

Jan 8, 2018, 10:18 PM

Post #5 of 9 (1498 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] FA Vase Equivalents [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes, it was called something like 'Coppa Nationale Dilletante' (Dilletante meaning Amateur) and I have a feeling that the winners got promoted for their efforts.

leohoenig
Administrator

Jan 9, 2018, 3:17 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #6 of 9 (1447 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] FA Vase Equivalents [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Isn't Dilletante the general name for the division(s) below Serie D?

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

dottirofhod

Jan 9, 2018, 3:52 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #7 of 9 (1440 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] FA Vase Equivalents [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Gentlemen please have a decko at - https://en.wikipedia.org/...pa_Italia_Dilettanti

Wiki is good.

Eng. 0- 0- 0- 0 -0- ( 0- 0) - ( I=0- N=0-S= 0 )- (IN =0 -IS= 0 - NN=0- NS=0 - SC=-0-SC=0 ) - (CC= 1- 0-0 -0- 0-0- 0- 0-0-0-0- 0-0 -0) - ( 0- 0- 0 -0- 0- 0 -0- 0- 0- 0- 0- 0 -0 -0 -0 -0- 0). TBC.

Benelux.
B. 0-0-0 - ( 0- 0 - 0 -0) - ( 0- 1 - 0 - 0)
L. 0 -0.
N. 0 -0 -0.

Iberia.
P. 0 - 1.

Sp. 0 - 0.

I have impeccable credentials.

dottirofhod

Jan 9, 2018, 4:01 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #8 of 9 (1437 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] FA Vase Equivalents [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

''As the fourth tier is Serie D, a league of nine parallel divisions (in which the clubs are divided by geographical location) that is organised by the Dipartimento Interregionale of the Lega Nazionale Dilettanti.

Beneath these are five further levels; four of them, Eccellenza, Promozione, Prima Categoria and Seconda Categoria, are organised by regional committees of the Lega Nazionale Dilettanti; and the last one, Terza Categoria, by provincial committees.''

Cant be bothered to look on line anymore , it's all there.

Well 99% of things if only people looked.

Eng. 0- 0- 0- 0 -0- ( 0- 0) - ( I=0- N=0-S= 0 )- (IN =0 -IS= 0 - NN=0- NS=0 - SC=-0-SC=0 ) - (CC= 1- 0-0 -0- 0-0- 0- 0-0-0-0- 0-0 -0) - ( 0- 0- 0 -0- 0- 0 -0- 0- 0- 0- 0- 0 -0 -0 -0 -0- 0). TBC.

Benelux.
B. 0-0-0 - ( 0- 0 - 0 -0) - ( 0- 1 - 0 - 0)
L. 0 -0.
N. 0 -0 -0.

Iberia.
P. 0 - 1.

Sp. 0 - 0.

I have impeccable credentials.

Mishi

Jan 12, 2018, 11:53 AM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #9 of 9 (984 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] FA Vase Equivalents [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am guessing the regional cups in Germany are closest, albeit regional!

From 4th level downwards, you can get drawn against much smaller teams you wouldn't usually play, as in the Hamburg Oddset Pokal.

These regional cups, for those who don't know, have the winners qualify for the main German FA Cup the next season, of which all ties are televised, and you get around a hundred grand in Euros, just for being in the main cup...and could get very lucky with a draw against a big side.

I've been to the last few Hamburg finals, sadly only one with Altona 93 in at, all played a Viktoria, with crowds being three to four thousand at each one...and they are televised live. For the Altona final a couple of seasons ago some sort of 'beam back' was arranged to the bar at Champion Hill, and our fans appeared live from our club house during the half-time interval.

Incidentally, anyone looking for fixtures in and around hamburg, including cup ties, I always use this website:

www.sportnord.de

Grounds visited: 715
Last new ground: Royal Engineers FC; King's Bastion, Gillingham, Kent. (Massey Trophy Division One)
Last game: Saturday 20th January 2018-Dulwich Hamlet 1, Merstham 2. [Bostik League Premier Division]
Football matches watched this season: 84
2017/18-New English grounds: 8; & foreign: 6

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3