Brentford loses its unique pub status

Ashtree RockBee
First Team Star

Mar 25, 2015, 8:36 AM

Team(s): Ashford Town (Middlesex), Bognor Regis Town, Brentford

Post #1 of 15 (7749 views)
Shortcut
Brentford loses its unique pub status Can't Post or Reply Privately

Griffin Park is no longer the only Football League club with a pub on each corner, and the 'four-pub challenge' is no more. It seems "The Royal Oak" in Brook Road, near the away fans' entrance, has shut down due to economic forces - the landlords tripled the rent.

CND67
First Team Star

Mar 25, 2015, 9:27 AM

Team(s): Wolverhampton Wanderers & England

Post #2 of 15 (7699 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ashtree RockBee] Brentford loses its unique pub status [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Griffin Park is no longer the only Football League club with a pub on each corner, and the 'four-pub challenge' is no more. It seems "The Royal Oak" in Brook Road, near the away fans' entrance, has shut down due to economic forces - the landlords tripled the rent.

This is sad news. Glad I did all four the other week before this happened. Guess the landlord wants the land to sell for housing.

Last New Ground: Wallingford Town
Grounds Visited: 1,063

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 25, 2015, 9:48 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #3 of 15 (7678 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CND67] Brentford loses its unique pub status [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

This is sad news. Glad I did all four the other week before this happened. Guess the landlord wants the land to sell for housing.

That is the way of things nowadaysUnsure

kirby knitters

Mar 25, 2015, 10:38 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #4 of 15 (7612 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Brentford loses its unique pub status [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

That is the way of things nowadaysUnsure

All the way back to 1982 when i did the tour of the fourSly

Kirby Muxloe FC.
Former proud members of The Midland Football League.

ladderman

Mar 25, 2015, 11:20 AM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #5 of 15 (7555 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Brentford loses its unique pub status [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I did it twice. The second one was at Brentford v Buntingford Town - very surreal.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 25, 2015, 12:29 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #6 of 15 (7497 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Brentford loses its unique pub status [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Went to Griffin Park three times from memory...
First time I met a mate in boozer on the High Street - Fullers pub and first
time I recall seeing a video juke box in a boozer -
the last two games I never got further than the New Inn - made a perfect
setting for watching the Newport County fruit loops getting off their
coach next to the bridge and wanting to fight the world.

Play-off programmes wanted: 2004 Basingstoke v Lewes. 2005 Droylsden v Kettering, Maldon v Barking, Maldon v Uxbridge. 2006 Brackley v Marlow, Kendal v Stocksbridge. 2007 Paulton v Taunton, Tooting v Hastings. 2008 Didcot v Oxford City, Tooting v Worthing, Sheffield v Stocksbridge. 2009 East Thurrock v Concord, Ilkeston v Kendal, Nantwich v Guiseley, Stocksbridge v Carlton. 2014 Tiverton v Paulton. 2015 Darlington v Bamber Bridge.

FA Vase semis wanted: 1975 Hoddesdon v Friar Lane. 1978 Almondsbury v Blue Star, Barton v Hungerford, Blue Star v Almondsbury. 1984 Stansted v Whickham. 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

FA Trophy programmes wanted: 1969-70 Any round from first season. Have many but plenty of gaps still to fill.

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 25, 2015, 1:26 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #7 of 15 (7427 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Brentford loses its unique pub status [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Stopped off at the one on the SW corner when 3 of us did an Oxford - Sittingbourne sponsored bike ride - we were able to just walk straight onto the pitch via a tunnel on the south side.

https://www.dropbox.com/...wqdjv35/BFC.jpg?dl=0 (1st attempt at using dropbox to post a pic on here, no idea if it'll work...)

sandhurstbee

Apr 1, 2015, 1:15 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #8 of 15 (4715 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ashtree RockBee] Brentford loses its unique pub status [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

S***! Regular visit before each Home game, nearest to entrance in New Road Unsure

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

sandhurstbee

Apr 7, 2015, 12:57 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #9 of 15 (4510 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Brentford loses its unique pub status [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Confirmed The Royal Oak was closed for yesterdays game v Notts Forest. Had to use The Griffin and pay 30p a pint extra for the `Privalage` Mad

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Dec 29, 2017, 12:07 AM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #10 of 15 (1420 views)
Shortcut

Second Brentford thread that needs bumping up. The fourth pub the Royal Oak has re opened this season.

Ashtree RockBee
First Team Star

Dec 29, 2017, 8:56 AM

Team(s): Ashford Town (Middlesex), Bognor Regis Town, Brentford

Post #11 of 15 (1349 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burgesshillbee] Brentford loses its unique pub status [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Excellent! Thanks for that. Haven't been to Griffin Park this season due to non-League fervour and other circumstances. Looking forward to a pint in The Royal Oak soon.

garethwrexy

Dec 29, 2017, 1:50 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #12 of 15 (1263 views)
Shortcut

That was great pub for pre match pint

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

garethwrexy

Jan 13, 2018, 3:48 PM

Post #13 of 15 (704 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Brentford loses its unique pub status [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Anyone got favourite corner pub

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 13, 2018, 7:40 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #14 of 15 (672 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Brentford loses its unique pub status [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Anyone got favourite corner pub

Of the ones around Griffin Park, do you mean?

The Griffin, close to the away turnstiles on the corner of Braemar Road and Brook Road South is the best of them - a handsome yellow-brick Fuller's pub with decent enough ale, a nice interior, and when I was there they had a barbecue on the go, too. The staff were dressed in Brentford shirts and seemed to relish the thought of a busy night, and they coped really well with the pub full of Nottingham Forest fans. Everything there was far cry from the Princess Royal at the other end of Braemar Road, where it was the predictable fizzy lager in thin plastic beakers, surly staff, and all chairs plus everything else not nailed down had been cleared away.

For a decent range of ales, however, the best pub I've been to in Brentford is The Magpie & Crown, less than ten minutes walk away on the main High Street.

I'm really glad to hear that the Royal Oak has re-opened. I'll make sure I visit it next time I'm nearby.

(This post was edited by oxpete on Jan 13, 2018, 7:42 PM)

garethwrexy

Jan 16, 2018, 4:18 PM

Post #15 of 15 (353 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Brentford loses its unique pub status [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Magpie and crown OK pub

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3