Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? ICE HOCKEY

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next page Last page  View All

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Sep 4, 2017, 11:00 PM

Post #326 of 346 (4890 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NeilH] Where are you going - where did you go? ICE HOCKEY [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm wondering if either or both of the teams are getting ready for a tournament? I remember a football game (though not the participants!) where they staged a penalty shootout at the end even though the game hadn't ended in a draw because the game had been arranged in preparation for an upcoming knockout competition, so they wanted to practice kicks after 90 minutes as well as get some game time.

mip
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 5, 2017, 10:53 PM

Team(s): Portsmouth, OB, Svendborg fB, Tved B

Post #327 of 346 (4822 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] Where are you going - where did you go? ICE HOCKEY [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'm wondering if either or both of the teams are getting ready for a tournament? I remember a football game (though not the participants!) where they staged a penalty shootout at the end even though the game hadn't ended in a draw because the game had been arranged in preparation for an upcoming knockout competition, so they wanted to practice kicks after 90 minutes as well as get some game time.

That's exactly the case. The teams had agreed to play overtime to practice it.

The Wall
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 7, 2017, 8:47 PM

Post #328 of 346 (4738 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mip] Where are you going - where did you go? ICE HOCKEY [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

That's exactly the case. The teams had agreed to play overtime to practice it.

I suppose the practice is for just 3 Skaters, not come across it before, until last weekend's Continental Cup Games as both Games seen did go into Overtime.

Thursday at Nottingham paid £18 for a decent seat for the visit of Czech side Mountfield HK plus £3 for the Programe, which advised in the event of a tie on 60 minutes 5 minutes of 4 on 4 would be played. In the event it finished 3-3 at which point all Officials discussed and came away holding up 3 fingers, suggesting to me that this was probably a new innovation. It certainly confused Mountfield who conceded the winning Goal after 6 seconds.

On the Sunday it was Cardiff Devils paying a concession rate of £12 for a Center Ice seat plus £3 for a Prog. The Visitors were Davos who only a week before had beaten Devils 10-1 on their own Ice and proved to be the best side of the four seen. However Devils put up a spirited fight and finished at 3-3. Devils thought they had won it in the final seconds when a Goal was ruled out as they had a Player in the crease, I'd like to know who made that call. Still to overtime and again an extremely quick goal within 18 seconds clinched the Match for Devils.
Each British side have two remaining games in their Groups before knowing if qualifying for the Finals

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Sep 24, 2017, 10:53 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #329 of 346 (4451 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Wall] Where are you going - where did you go? ICE HOCKEY [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Elite League

Guildford Flames 2 Nottingham Panthers 3 after OT and shootout

admission £16-75 with booking fee
, programme downloadable via internet, attendance 1731
10th v 7th/12
First visit to the Spectrum to watch the Flames at the top level - it won't be the last.
Playing one of the 'big names', Flames gave a battling performance throughout, but lost both the first two periods 0-1 as the Panthers looked a bit more streetwise and 'together'. Perlini (former Guildford junior) scored the first, Derlago the second. We also had a longish pause for an examination of a video replay which didn't give Panthers another goal shortly after their first. Flames probably showed their opponents too much respect, but stuck with it, so the second period was quite feisty as the visitors got frustrated.
Anyway, L.Stewart reduced the arrears early in the third, and after that it was a wildly exciting match, with Flames going for it, and Panthers having several chances on the break. Flames NM B.Stewart was out injured (since he is one of the best in the league, this was seen as a huge blow) but stand-in Will was superb, making at least three fantastic saves, plus two one-on-ones. The second, from Bussieres, near the end, kept Flames in it and inspired a final foray, pulling Will, which resulted in a dramatic equaliser from Dunbar with 19 secs to go, which had everyone on their feet. Overtime (3 v 3) was no less dramatic with Flames having two or three good chances and they were on a power play (4 v 3) for 40% of it.
But all to no avail, it went to penalty shots and this was a massive anticlimax, Panthers scored two out of three while Garnett saved all of Flames' efforts. But another point, to go wiith the one at Storm yesterday, and another one from an OT loss to Panthers a fortnight ago, so Flames are doing OK.
First look at Elite hockey - many more imports (only about four of Flames' squad played last year), I felt the standard was (unsurprisingly) slightly better than the EPL, but the intensity was definitely greater, and there were fewer errors. Good atmosphere too, not just from the good turnout from the Panthers' fans. No changes at the Spectrum that I could see at all.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Sep 24, 2017, 11:28 PM)

chesterbird
Youth Team Sub

Sep 27, 2017, 11:51 AM

Team(s): Chester City, Liverpool FC,

Post #330 of 346 (4351 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NeilH] Where are you going - where did you go? ICE HOCKEY [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

MAC BUDAPEST 4 V SPORTING 2010 CORONA BRASOV 3

25/9/17 @ TUSKECSARNOK ARENA ADM 1300 HUF NO PROG

ATT approx 3-400 8pm face off Erste Liga

A nice end to our holiday in Budapest and a cracking game to boot.
Brasov were at the end of a mini 3 game away trip and certainly tried to get their first win of the trip with 3 goals in the first period.MAC obviously had a talking to and replied with 3 in the 2nd period to level it up.3rd period was tight and just shaved by the home side with a goal 11 mins from the end.Game was live on tv and changed from its original 7pm seemingly quite late on.Arena is very modern but small and around 2,500 capacity,reached by tram 1 to INFOPARK stop,turn right from the bottom of the steps and walk inbetween the large office buildings for 200 yards,arena will be in front of you.Tickets were easy enough to get on the night,Souvenir shop eventually appeared and sols the usual tshirts,hats etc.Good stuff and despite the small crowd quite a decent atmosphere.

Jim S
Youth Team Regular

Sep 28, 2017, 7:34 AM

Team(s):

Post #331 of 346 (4288 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chesterbird] Where are you going - where did you go? ICE HOCKEY [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Official attendance 200

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Oct 7, 2017, 10:31 PM

Post #332 of 346 (4011 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jim S] Where are you going - where did you go? ICE HOCKEY [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Elite League Challenge Cup

Guildford Flames 5 Coventry Blaze 4 after OT

, programme downloadable via internet, attendance 1745
Both mid-table in the league, first meeting since 2004
Another exciting finish at the Spectrum, after Flames should have been out of sight after the second period.
They got off to a great start with Rachinski scoring in 1:04. Blaze then had the better of things for a while, but Flames had a couple more chances and overcame a 3 v 5 near the end of the period. In the second period, Blaze had a mere 4 shots on goal, and penalties galore as they showed terrible indiscipline. If Flames were any good at power plays they would have had a hatful, but they had to be satisfied with two more goals in two minutes early in the period, which put them in control.
Words must have been had in the Blaze locker room at the end of the second, as they came out a different team. Two visiting goals in just over a minute early on gave Flames the jitters, and despite going two goals ahead again, ironically on a power play, they started making mistakes under pressure, and it was no surprise that two more Blaze goals in 27 seconds, with six mins to go tied the game up. Blaze had a few chances in those final six mins but Flames survived to overtime.
Overtime lasted only 23 seconds as a nice break saw Ferguson net the winner to great home jubilation. Good atmosphere again at the Spectrum, Blaze bringing good support.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Oct 7, 2017, 11:54 PM)

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Oct 28, 2017, 8:29 PM

Post #333 of 346 (3477 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Where are you going - where did you go? ICE HOCKEY [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just a quick summary of the changes in British ice-hockey over the summer:

Last year we had:
Elite League
EPL
EIHL1 N/S
EIHL2 N/S

This year we've got:
Elite (augmented by two clubs from the EPL)
EIHL1 N/S (about half the old EPL, half the old EIHL1)
EIHL2 N/S (what's left of the rest of the old EIHL2, plus what's left of the rest of the old EIHL1)

Chelmsford appear to have combined their old EIHL1 Chieftains with the old EIHL2 Warriors into just plain old 'Chelmsford' (although their media still says 'Chieftains').

English National League Division 2 South

Solent Devils 2 Chelmsford 5

Admission £9-00 inc programme attendance est over 300
Both sides mid-table, but with games in hand over the leaders. Visitors have only played two games, both big wins, so first proper test tonight.
Another very competitive game with the visitors yet again coming out on top. I had hoped that with all the changes, Solent might have had a chance of getting their first points ever from the visitors, but no chance - they were as solid as ever, and far more professional in the power plays, which made all the difference.
Frantic first period, the home team had the confidence to take the game to Chelmo, but the visitors defended well and gradually gained a slight advantage. They took the lead after 12 mins from the blue line but the hosts equalised less than a minute later. Despite the competitiveness the first penalty came after 18:17.
Same in the second period; with their first power play, the visitors regained the lead, and extended it with what seemed to be a soft one soon after. But the visitors' Veares then picked up a 5 + game for boarding and Solent had their chance, which they signally failed to take. However, in the last minute of the period a burst through the middle by Trendall made it 2-3, and they had a couple more good chances before the buzzer to equalise.
In the third the visitors got a quick goal and thereafter managed to hold the home team, who continued to put the effort in. Visiting netminder S.Phillips excelled in this period, he had a very good game overall, with Devils missing star nettie C.Cole, although his replacement Taylor did a reasonable job. A couple of Solent power plays came to nothing near the end, and with 1:25 remaining they pulled Taylor, with the inevitable result - another goal for Chelmsford.
No discernable changes at Gosport, bar a smart grey repainting job. Large crowd with lots of kids as it's half term. This season they have only 1700 face-offs on a Saturday (ice time?) so I won't get to many games. The standard of play maybe slightly lower than last season, with both squads retaining about half of last year's players.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Oct 28, 2017, 11:52 PM)

noprogs
First Team Regular

Oct 29, 2017, 9:02 AM

Team(s):

Post #334 of 346 (3426 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chesterbird] Where are you going - where did you go? ICE HOCKEY [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Gdansk 1 Jastrzebie 4
Polish Hockey League
Admission 15zl
27/10@1830

Just over 3 quid entry for a decent game where the second top visitors were comfortably the better side. They scored twice early,soon conceded one back and added one in each of the other periods.
Game played at the Oliva Hala a 70's purpose built arena in the north end of town.

(This post was edited by noprogs on Oct 29, 2017, 9:04 AM)

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Nov 11, 2017, 10:31 PM

Post #335 of 346 (2820 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Where are you going - where did you go? ICE HOCKEY [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Elite League

Guildford Flames 7 Edinburgh Capitals 0

, programme downloadable via internet, attendance 2008 (sellout)
9th v 12th/12
Not the best time to see Caps as they are in disarray, with four players leaving recently, and a couple more injured. Hard to see them surviving in this league with crowds of 600 or so. They fought bravely, but it got easier for the Flames as the game went on and they should have had more. First Elite shutout though (19 shots).
A goal after 36 seconds looked ominous but after Flames missed a couple more, the visitors defended quite well and even threatened a couple of times on the break. However, that came to an abrupt end with two goals in the last 33 seconds of the period, the last one a spectacular error by visiting NM Shegalo, sliding out and missing the puck completely. Shots 24-6.
The second period was more even as the Caps came back, Ferguson scored both Flames goals in this period, the first a nice end to a flowing move, the second with 32 seconds to go.
One thing I haven't mentioned yet was penalties. The first one came after 43:50, on the Flames, which says something about the game. After as couple more goals for Flames, they didn't do much in the final ten mins, although we had a minor scuffle resulting in another penalty, and Caps got on the penalty board at last with 2:42 to go.
The sellout was probably due the the first Kids Go Free of the season rather than the quality of the opposition, although I did see a few Caps fans around.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Nov 11, 2017, 10:34 PM)

Hornchurchspur
Junior Team Star

Nov 19, 2017, 1:27 AM

Post #336 of 346 (2597 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Where are you going - where did you go? ICE HOCKEY [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 18th November
NIHL South 1
Swindon Wildcats 3 London Raiders 2
Admission £11 (concession) Attendance c1000(guess)

A close encounter at the Link Centre with the Wildcats finally coming out on top. London took the lead early on when a misplaced pass let them in on a two on one and when Baldock's shot came back off Marr's pads, Huska was well placed to put the rebound home. Swindon came back strongly and equalised five minutes later when Gray couldn't fully smother Nell's attempt and Hill was able to flick the puck into the net. The second period was goalless although Swindon were generally on top and that continued into the third. Swindon went in front on 44 minutes with another close range finish, this time from Kensall and extended their lead on 48 when Nell fired home powerfully. London managed to pull one back on 51 when Huska scored his second although it looked to me as though he mishit his shot off the top of his stick and looped it over the prone Marr. London's hopes of forcing overtime were not helped by Huska picking up his team's first penalty for boarding on 56 minutes so when they got back to five on five there were only two minutes left to play. Although netminder Gray was pulled with 30 seconds to go, London couldn't make the extra skater count and Swindon held on for the win.

At the start of the season I think many, myself included, expected this newly formed division to be totally dominated by the four ex-EPL teams (Swindon, Peterborough, Bracknell and Basingstoke) with the old NIHL teams (London, Invicta, Milton Keynes Thunder and Streatham) making up the numbers and Cardiff Fire being the whipping boys. It certainly started out that way but in recent weeks all four of the old NIHL sides have beaten teams that last year were one division above them and, Cardiff apart, there haven't been any real hammerings. Maybe the restriction of only allowing two overseas players per team has evened things up or perhaps the challenge has just encouraged the previously lower ranked teams to up their games. Whatever it must be in everybody's interest for all teams in the league to be competitive.

I'd not been to Swindon's rink before but it is quite impressive with a large raised seating area on one side and rink level seating surrounding the whole playing area except for the space for the players' benches and the penalty boxes. All seats seemed to be taken with plenty of others also standing behind the rink level seats so maybe the change of division hasn't had that much impact on attendance. Of course the Raiders used to be regular visitors to Swindon when they were based in Romford and maybe their return there next year will attract similar crowds to Rom Valley Way's replacement.

The Wall
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 27, 2017, 8:34 PM

Post #337 of 346 (2368 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hornchurchspur] Where are you going - where did you go? ICE HOCKEY [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In the North east for Footie at Darlington Friday and Jarrow on the Sat.
it was sensible to make a 2nd ever visit to Whitley Bay after a gap of at least 30 years

ENIHL Div 1 North
WHITLEY WARRIORS vs Deeside Dragons at Hillheads Rink
Adm £10 (Con £7) Prog £2.50

The exterior of the Rink I recognised, possible as its next door to the Football Club, however the interior was long forgotten, although was truly memorable with its vast wooden seating capacity and high roof. Had to look it up, built 1955, capacity 3,500.

Probably the worst possible game to watch, Deeside bottom of the Table having been defeated in 13 of their 14 League Games and arriving with only 12 Skaters and no back up Keeper were extremely poor, but nevertheless put up a gutsy defensive performance.

Warriors were no great shakes, but then didn’t have to be especially with the experience of local hero David Longstaff, long time Great Britain International, now into his late forties.

A second goal on 19.27 deflated the Visitors and a 2nd Period of 4-0 did not help. After the 7th Goal Dragons did manage to score, past the back up keeper brought on for the final period. 9-1 turned into 9-2 before a further two completed the proceedings at 11-2.

One unusual call in the final Period for “embellishment”, changed to Diving in the Official Game Sheet

Drove back Sunday just in time to see Streatham Redwings defeat London Raiders 3-2 in an open Game. A Romford fan advised that their new Rink is expected to be ready by early February, but have pre paid for Ice time at Lea Valley so unlikely this Season, although Play Offs more likely, if qualifying.

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Dec 2, 2017, 10:22 PM

Post #338 of 346 (2214 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Wall] Where are you going - where did you go? ICE HOCKEY [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Elite League

Guildford Flames 7 Dundee Stars 3

, programme downloadable via internet, attendance 1809
5th v 11th/12
Another team from Scotland low in the table concede seven at the Spectrum. But Stars were miles better than Caps and should have had more than the three they scored.
Flames got off to a flyer with three goals in the first 13 mins. Davies found the far corner of Fullerton's net for the first two and the third was a classic break. Stars improved as the period went on and had some very good chances themselves, either poor finishing or good netminding by Carrozzi meant none were converted.
Stars continued to trouble Flames in the second, and the home team weren't quite as good. Sloppy defending gave Stars a goal back, only for Flames to make it 4-1 on a powerplay. Several scrambles around the Flames net saw no more goals until Dundee pulled another one back with 1:30 to go in the period to make it interesting.
Stars looked likely to score at the start of the third, but two stupid penalties led to Flames increasing their lead on a 5 v 3. Stars came back again as Leveque unleashed a special into the top corner but Flames again increased their lead. With three mins to go Stars pulled NM Fullerton, got caught on the break, and their brave resistance was over.

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Dec 23, 2017, 11:34 PM

Post #339 of 346 (1725 views)
Shortcut

Elite League

Guildford Flames 1 Fife Flyers 2 OT

, programme downloadable via internet, attendance 1838
4th v 7th (with games in hand)/12
I really enjoyed this game between two of the surprise teams this season. Good job
it was a good game, since the start was delayed 85 mins after the Fife bus broke down. A few late nights for the Kids who Go Free. Both netminders, Carrozzi and Iles, were outstanding, Flames deserved their point.
The first period was goalless only because of the netminding - Flyers defended well, hitting hard, and broke dangerously, outscoring Flames, who weren't at all bad, 17-8.
In the second period a Flyers goal after a massive scramble was (correctly) not given after the ref looked at the video replay, only to return to it four minutes later and this time (correctly) award Flames a goal. Goalscorer Reddick was involved in a massive bundle after the goal.
In the third the only 4 on 4 of the night saw a Flyers' equaliser after a swift break. Flames put the pressure on as Iles excelled himself (and knocked the net off four times) as they searched for the winner. Walker missed an open goal at the far post with three mins to go, then he gave away a penalty to leave Flames short at the end, but they survived until overtime.
Overtime lasted all of 12 seconds, a couple of passes, then Young powered his way through the middle to net the winning shot. Flyers celebrated a big win after yesterday's disappointing defeat in Dundee.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Dec 24, 2017, 12:17 AM)

John Mills
Reserve Team Star

Dec 25, 2017, 8:22 AM

Post #340 of 346 (1606 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Where are you going - where did you go? ICE HOCKEY [In reply to] Can't Post or

Re. Guildford Flames, it might be of interest to forum readers that in addition to the online match programme, the merchandise table also sells team sheets (£1 ?) and a glossy yearbook/team guide (£4). So, although there isn't a traditional printed programme, there's really everything but.

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Jan 6, 2018, 9:55 PM

Post #341 of 346 (1102 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Mills] Where are you going - where did you go? ICE HOCKEY [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Elite League

Guildford Flames 3 Cardiff Devils 2 OT

, programme downloadable via internet, attendance 2017 (sell-out)
4th v 1st/12
Flames managed to beat what is currently the best GB hockey team - last season's champions, this season's clear leaders and on a long unbeaten run!
The visitors showed why they are so highly-rated in the first period with a great display - a power-play goal after 6:30 that home netminder Carrozzi will want back (he was brilliant for the rest of the game, though) and Flames were hanging on at times, although towards the end of the period they were matching their opponents.
In the second the Flames were slightly the better team, mainly due to their energy, always putting pressure on the Devils. They equalised after 25 mins and pressed forward, but the visitors were still very dangerous on the break. Carrozzi made a great one on one save to keep the scores level.
In the third Flames took the game to their opponents, and took the lead when a shot hit the bar and Watters got the rebound. The home fans had hope, but another power-play goal tied it up with 10 mins to play. Flames themselves had a power-play with 3:30 to go but failed to make any inroads. So to overtime...
After a couple of attacks each, Flames produced a nice attack which left Dunbar coming in from wide on the left. He produced a rocket shot into the roof of the net to give Flames a famous victory in a fast and skilful encounter. The famed 'Guildford library' erupted - best celebrations I've seen there. Devils fans well represented too. The two meet in the Cup QF (3-3 in the first leg) soon too.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Jan 7, 2018, 12:13 AM)

Roger D
Youth Team Sub

Jan 13, 2018, 10:46 PM

Team(s): Prescot Panthers & Oxford RL

Post #342 of 346 (782 views)
Shortcut

British Ice Hockey League 13/1/18

Solihull 3 Telford 2. Admission £8

My first ice hockey game was Telford 14 Solihull 14 in November(ish) 1985, Telford also had a goal disallowed. That match saw a new team largely created by people who had left Solihull for Telford, starting a rivalry that lasted until Solihull dropped down to the third tier. Whilst many fans at level 2 and 3 have mixed emotions about the events of last summer few Solihull or Telford fans regret the re-birth of that rivalry.

These days much of the Solihull team is ex-Telford, including Telford trained and resident netminder / coach Daniel Brittle who got thrown out of the last game between the two three weeks ago, causing it to be abandoned as Solihull couldn't / wouldn't kit up a new netminder - they didn't have a spare that day. As such the scene was set for a battle in every sense of the word. In reality the players approached the game in a good spirit, this aided by impressive refereeing ensured we got to enjoy a flowing game of ice hockey rather than a series of brawls, when the match eventually started. The old rivalry saw fans turning out from both sides leading to a delayed face off due to queues outside.

Telford started off brightly and won the first period 1-0 and frankly looked like they would win with ease. It went horribly wrong for them in the second period. A quick goal for Solihull was followed by two more, Denis Bell will want the first two back but could do little about the third as he was screened. Telford had switched off but full credit to Solihull who were playing well.

Telford had the better of the final period but, whilst the shots on goal figure will look good, the truth is few were anything other than run of the mill saves thanks to impressive defending ensuring Telford were shooting from less than ideal positions. The decisive minutes came with about 5 minutes to go. Dan Brittle made an excellent save from a breakaway. This was followed by a Solihull player fouling a Telford player off the puck. The referee called it but instead of laughing at him and thanking him for such a stupid penalty late on in the game, a Telford player sought retribution and was also binned wasting a glorious opportunity. Straight after that Dan Brittle pulled off another fine save from a breakaway. This proved crucial as Rick Plant fired home with a couple of minutes left. 90 seconds of 6 on 5 skaters chaos followed however Solihull hung on and you would have to be hard hearted to begrudge them the win given the effort they put in today against a better side.

The old rink has changed a bit since I last went and isn't the best place to watch hockey however it deserves respect. This was one of the rinks that kept hockey alive in this country in the 70's, it would be churlish to slate it by comparing it to the more modern rinks that probably wouldn't host hockey if it wasn't for the work done here years ago.

At the end of the game a Telford fan presented Dan Brittle with a child's dummy to replace the one he spat out at Telford. Smiles all around as Dan used to coach the lad when he played for Telford Juniors. Some of the old edge between the fans was missing, frankly that's not necessarily a bad thing.

All in all this was a good game, flowing ice hockey between two relatively evenly matched sides despite the league table. I enjoyed this one despite being a Telford fan.

The nearby Pup and Duckling micropub made a nice stop prior to the journey home.

The Wall
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 14, 2018, 3:40 PM

Post #343 of 346 (668 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Roger D] Where are you going - where did you go? ICE HOCKEY [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hi Roger,

may see you at Streatham tonight, then you can explain why Telford played this Game in preference to being Home to Streatham in a scheduled first leg of the National Cup quarter finals. Tnights second leg goes ahead meaning Group runners up Telford now get get the advantage of the 2nd leg at home !

The no play disrupted my weekend as had booked a Sheffield Hotel for Friday night to see the Dogs with the intention of finding an early WMRL early kick of to get to Telford for the Streatham confirmed 17.30 face off. Nevertheless

National Cup Group B
SHEFFIELD STEELDOGE vs HUll Pilates @ Sheffield Ice
Adm. £6 Prog No, allegedly the Printers had a break in and the print machinery damaged !

This proved a great Game, both sides went for it from the start and such was their ability if the Top Sides in Div 1 North all play to this standard, then Streatham tonight will have a tough time.

Even first two periods both won by the Dogs 1-0 and 3-2 which included. 10 man fight missing only the Keepers. Some time to sort out but only 3 from each Team receiving Penalties, pity the Referee didn’t have eyes in the back oh his head ! The third continued at a fast pace only forDogs to prove the more efficient running out 4-1 to arrive at an 8-3 final result, Really brilliant entertainment.

Saturday decided to make my annual visit to the Ally Pally especially with Hornets including 4 of last years Redskins regular, Preceded by Footie, an early kick off at May & Baker.

NIHL South 2
HARINGEY HUSKIES vs Bracknell Hornets @ Alexander Palace
Adm. £2 Prog £2

Attracted an unexpectedly large crowd certainly exceeded 600, mostly aged in their late twenties, mostly arriving late and getting up far to often to refill their Glasses during the game.

The final result was expected with Hornets having won 12 of their 13 League Games and Huskies winning just 7 out of 14. The 1st period. Score of 0-4 was not helped by the defending with 3 of the Goals being unassisted with Hornets being far the better, but slightly amused that every Huskies shot was met with cheers and applause. Not quite your normal Hockey fans.

The final two Periods saw Huskies score 5, meriting justified cheering, however the more relaxed Hornets netted 6 to result in a final score of 5-10. Still entertaining, but not as we know it !

Onward to Streatham later.

(This post was edited by The Wall on Jan 14, 2018, 3:54 PM)

Roger D
Youth Team Sub

Jan 14, 2018, 3:57 PM

Team(s): Prescot Panthers & Oxford RL

Post #344 of 346 (656 views)
Shortcut

You won't see me as I have gone down with the lurgy. I can explain that however, the League instructed them to fulfil that fixture over the cup game. When Streatham announced the cup game for that day Telford approached the league for clarification and it was their ruling as to which fixture went ahead.

I'm genuinely sad to miss this game. I lived in Streatham in the early 90's and was a regular down the High Road when Tigers weren't playing locally. The unexpected mid-week win over Slough in the dying days of the then Streatham team remains one of my fondest hockey memories and it is wrong that Streatham have lost home advantage on the second leg.

The Wall
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 15, 2018, 12:02 AM

Post #345 of 346 (574 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Roger D] Where are you going - where did you go? ICE HOCKEY [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Final score Streatham 2 Telford Tigers 5 just about deserved.

In the final period Streatham equalised at 2-2, then pushing for a lead to take to Telford next Saturday came unstuck and Telford ran in a further 3.

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Jan 21, 2018, 10:22 PM

Post #346 of 346 (154 views)
Shortcut

Elite League

Guildford Flames 2 Belfast Giants 3

, programme downloadable via internet, attendance 1773
6th v 2nd/12
Flames have had a few beatings against good teams since I last saw them, but the drop in confidence was only noticeable tonight in their reluctance to shoot.
Good game started with a goalless first period in which Flames took the game to Giants, who looked very solid, and quite physical. They defended well and were dangerous on the break. You could see why they are one of the top three trams in British hockey.
Flames continued in the same vein in the second and took the lead five mins in. This seemed to wake Belfast up - never wake a sleeping Giant - and in the next 5-10 mins they upped the pace considerably, scoring three goals (one a deflection, one a classic counter with the spare man scoring) and leaving Flames groggy. They had regained their composure by the end of the period, though, again causing the visitors problems.
The third was quite even, a few naughties from the visitors, but for me the key moment was a Giants 2+2 penalty for a punch by Raine. Flames did absolutely nothing in those four mins, passing it around with scarcely a shot, and Giants were safe. With 1:43 to go a Lidhammar hammer at last reduced the deficit and Flames had a chance, but good defending kept them at bay, and there were nearly two empty netters too. NM Whistle was outstanding for the Giants, especially when the pressure was on - a couple of really good saves.
A bit quiet tonight, and a good turnout from the Giants fans - a long way for them.

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next page Last page  View All

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3