Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
A musical interlude........

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 20, 2017, 10:32 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #351 of 363 (1922 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] A musical interlude........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday November 19th - Arena Birmingham : Depeche Mode. Admission 65 plus fees. Attendance : 15,800 capacity

And so for the third time in six days it was back to the Arena with daughter No 1 in tow. She knew little of the band's material except what she'd picked up listening to covers by the likes of Marilyn Manson and Lacuna Coil; I hadn't bought anything since Violator in 1990 and have never seen them live till this evening but was curious as DM have maintained a hardcore following despite lack of chart success for many years. Now I can see why.
I remember Depeche Mode arriving on the scene in the post-New Romantic era with their plinky plonky synth ditties which seemed of little substance or merit. Fast forward thirty-five years and "Everything Counts" is now a huge dark soundscape backed by booming bass and heavy synth. The packed house were with them every step of the way, belting out their anthems and it was difficult not to get swept along. Many of the numbers may lack musical originality and subtlety but the delivery was so polished and the sound mesmeric with the whole ensemble led by the indefatigable Dave Gahan who was in a very dark place not that many years ago. His performance and showmanship reminded me somewhat of Freddie Mercury; of course he's not a kid any longer - he's 55; how did that happen? I still think of this lot as new-fangled!
I didn't know a lot of the stuff but "Where's the Revolution" from their latest album was a belter as of course were the show-stopping "Enjoy the Silence" and "Personal Jesus".
It helps when there's standing at a gig but I have to say this was hugely impressive. I'd go again.......as the surrounding streets echoed to "reach out and touch faith".....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07M4in5q5Lc

No more gigs till Gogol Bordello in Wolverhampton in a month; that should be a quiet cosy evening........Tongue

(This post was edited by buncranaboy on Nov 20, 2017, 11:26 PM)

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 9, 2017, 3:19 AM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #352 of 363 (1720 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] A musical interlude........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A bloke I know went to see the Darkness last night
somewhere way out East....and there was me thinking
that Justin Hawkins had died five years or so ago....Unsure

Was at Saarfend apparently....looks like a born again Rik Mayall!

Play-off programmes wanted: 2004 Basingstoke v Lewes. 2005 Droylsden v Kettering, Maldon v Barking, Maldon v Uxbridge. 2006 Brackley v Marlow, Kendal v Stocksbridge. 2007 Paulton v Taunton, Tooting v Hastings. 2008 Didcot v Oxford City, Tooting v Worthing, Sheffield v Stocksbridge. 2009 East Thurrock v Concord, Ilkeston v Kendal, Nantwich v Guiseley, Stocksbridge v Carlton. 2014 Tiverton v Paulton. 2015 Darlington v Bamber Bridge.

FA Vase semis wanted: 1975 Hoddesdon v Friar Lane. 1978 Almondsbury v Blue Star, Barton v Hungerford, Blue Star v Almondsbury. 1984 Stansted v Whickham. 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

FA Trophy programmes wanted: 1969-70 Any round from first season. Have many but plenty of gaps still to fill.

(This post was edited by DonQuixote on Dec 9, 2017, 3:30 AM)

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 9, 2017, 3:37 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #353 of 363 (1716 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] A musical interlude........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not forgetting British Whales 2006 unofficial World Cup Anthem and his crap attempt at "This town ain't big enough for the both of us".

Eng. 0- 0- 0- 0 -0- ( 0- 0) - ( I=0- N=0-S= 0 )- (IN =0 -IS= 0 - NN=0- NS=0 - SC=-0-SC=0 ) - (CC= 1- 0-0 -0- 0-0- 0- 0-0-0-0- 0-0 -0) - ( 0- 0- 0 -0- 0- 0 -0- 0- 0- 0- 0- 0 -0 -0 -0 -0- 0). TBC.

Benelux.
B. 0-0-0 - ( 0- 0 - 0 -0) - ( 0- 1 - 0 - 0)
L. 0 -0.
N. 0 -0 -0.

Iberia.
P. 0 - 1.

Sp. 0 - 0.

I have impeccable credentials.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 9, 2017, 3:53 AM

Post #354 of 363 (1713 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] A musical interlude........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just got the vid up on YouTube - that is so South of shocking...
Darts?? That has to be one of the worst videos since...err, the Reynolds Girls.

What were the Mael bruvvers thinking?

Play-off programmes wanted: 2004 Basingstoke v Lewes. 2005 Droylsden v Kettering, Maldon v Barking, Maldon v Uxbridge. 2006 Brackley v Marlow, Kendal v Stocksbridge. 2007 Paulton v Taunton, Tooting v Hastings. 2008 Didcot v Oxford City, Tooting v Worthing, Sheffield v Stocksbridge. 2009 East Thurrock v Concord, Ilkeston v Kendal, Nantwich v Guiseley, Stocksbridge v Carlton. 2014 Tiverton v Paulton. 2015 Darlington v Bamber Bridge.

FA Vase semis wanted: 1975 Hoddesdon v Friar Lane. 1978 Almondsbury v Blue Star, Barton v Hungerford, Blue Star v Almondsbury. 1984 Stansted v Whickham. 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

FA Trophy programmes wanted: 1969-70 Any round from first season. Have many but plenty of gaps still to fill.

buncranaboy

Dec 17, 2017, 12:52 AM

Post #355 of 363 (1545 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] A musical interlude........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friday December 16th @ Wulfrun Hall - Gogol Bordello and Lucky Chops. Attendance 1,000 est; Admission 25

Not sure how to describe this gig save that it was a privilege to be here. I've been aware of Gogol Bordello for many years but never purchased any of their material nor been aware of them playing in Birmingham though I'm sure they must have over the years. They are a gypsy punk band from Lower East Side, Manhattan and are led by the manic Eugene Hitz who is of Ukrainian upbringing. Their name is taken from Ukrainian writer Nikolai Gogol who was credited with bringing Ukrainian culture into the Russian mainstream and the band say they aim to follow his lead by bringing that culture's music to a wider audience. The rest of the band (there were ten of them on stage at times) come from all over the place including Belarus, Russia, Ecuador and Ethiopia but the sound is unmistakeably Eastern European.........as were many of the audience with some strikingly beautiful women who carry that insouciant look of disdain to perfection. Some of the members on stage were from support band Lucky Chops, a New York brass-band who found fame playing in subways in that city and I'd like to have caught more of their act than the last two numbers but we'd become detained in the Posada en route from the station Wink
No time wasted chatting by the band as they roared into a succession of frenetic gypsy songs, some in English but most in Ukrainian, not that it mattered a jot as front-man Hitz swigged his way through wine bottles with his hyper-energetic troupe taking turns to cajole the crowd : think The Pogues on speed and you're nearly there. Elijah Wood's old flame Pamela Racine provided a touch of glamour on stage, flanked by menacing fiddlers and accordion players and we built toward a crescendo of "Start Wearing Purple" which we thought would bring the curtain down; not so as we got well past the 23.00 curfew and even then the band stayed on stage, some coming down to the crowd for a chat, including a remarkably sober-looking Hitz which I thought was a nice touch. Maybe the wine was watered down, or maybe he's just very good at handling it. Either way, great fun.
Wulfrun Hall is the smaller of the two venues at the back of the building that houses the much larger Civic Hall where Thunder were playing the first of two sell-out Xmas gigs tonight. It's a basic no-frills venue, all-standing, with a large well-staffed bar alongside the auditorium - in a word, a great venue especially for this type of gig.
With the late finish, the last train (23.18) was missed so we killed an hour or so in a horrible Spoons (Moon Under Water) taking the best part of 20 minutes to get served. A grim pub in a grim town which would ironically be more suited to Eastern Europe - maybe that's why Wolverhampton was one of only five UK locations for this tourCool
Have a gander at this..........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYE8Vjih2cs

(This post was edited by buncranaboy on Dec 17, 2017, 1:03 AM)

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 17, 2017, 12:05 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #356 of 363 (1500 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Friday December 16th @ Wulfrun Hall - Gogol Bordello and Lucky Chops. Attendance 1,000 est; Admission 25

Not sure how to describe this gig save that it was a privilege to be here. I've been aware of Gogol Bordello for many years but never purchased any of their material nor been aware of them playing in Birmingham though I'm sure they must have over the years. They are a gypsy punk band from Lower East Side, Manhattan and are led by the manic Eugene Hitz who is of Ukrainian upbringing. Their name is taken from Ukrainian writer Nikolai Gogol who was credited with bringing Ukrainian culture into the Russian mainstream and the band say they aim to follow his lead by bringing that culture's music to a wider audience. The rest of the band (there were ten of them on stage at times) come from all over the place including Belarus, Russia, Ecuador and Ethiopia but the sound is unmistakeably Eastern European.........as were many of the audience with some strikingly beautiful women who carry that insouciant look of disdain to perfection. Some of the members on stage were from support band Lucky Chops, a New York brass-band who found fame playing in subways in that city and I'd like to have caught more of their act than the last two numbers but we'd become detained in the Posada en route from the station Wink
No time wasted chatting by the band as they roared into a succession of frenetic gypsy songs, some in English but most in Ukrainian, not that it mattered a jot as front-man Hitz swigged his way through wine bottles with his hyper-energetic troupe taking turns to cajole the crowd : think The Pogues on speed and you're nearly there. Elijah Wood's old flame Pamela Racine provided a touch of glamour on stage, flanked by menacing fiddlers and accordion players and we built toward a crescendo of "Start Wearing Purple" which we thought would bring the curtain down; not so as we got well past the 23.00 curfew and even then the band stayed on stage, some coming down to the crowd for a chat, including a remarkably sober-looking Hitz which I thought was a nice touch. Maybe the wine was watered down, or maybe he's just very good at handling it. Either way, great fun.
Wulfrun Hall is the smaller of the two venues at the back of the building that houses the much larger Civic Hall where Thunder were playing the first of two sell-out Xmas gigs tonight. It's a basic no-frills venue, all-standing, with a large well-staffed bar alongside the auditorium - in a word, a great venue especially for this type of gig.
With the late finish, the last train (23.18) was missed so we killed an hour or so in a horrible Spoons (Moon Under Water) taking the best part of 20 minutes to get served. A grim pub in a grim town which would ironically be more suited to Eastern Europe - maybe that's why Wolverhampton was one of only five UK locations for this tourCool
Have a gander at this..........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYE8Vjih2cs

Have seen Gogol Bordello in Manchester a few times. Always memorable gigs. Not seen them for a while though so good to hear they're still going strong.

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 17, 2017, 2:22 PM

Post #357 of 363 (1471 views)
Shortcut

I forgot to watch the vid last time you posted it...they are total whack jobs.

Terry McDermott on vocals with Vlad Putin on accordion...

As for Thunder, if it's the same band, not seen them since they played
third fiddle to ZZ Top and Bryan Adams at Milton Keynes in the early 90s.

Ancient Wolf
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 18, 2017, 6:23 PM

Team(s): Middlesbrough and Norton and Stockton Ancients

Post #358 of 363 (1390 views)
Shortcut

I was surprised and delighted to see and hear that The Chameleons (cult 1980s Manchester indie guitar psych/pop legends) were featured in a question on last weeks edition of Only Connect in the music round. I won't give the answer away if you haven't seen it. As I didn't recognise the song at first it took me until the third song to get the connection.

WestBerksPalace
First Team Regular

Dec 21, 2017, 4:51 PM

Team(s): Crystal Palace and Epsom and Ewell.

Post #359 of 363 (1234 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ancient Wolf] A musical interlude........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I watched an excellent doc on XTC on the BBC catch up facility, downloaded last week on TV.
'This is pop'. They have been and remain one of my favourite bands since the early 1980s. Great to hear Andy Partridge talking about his career, and his hate of rockumentary's.
As someone who religiously purchased and loved every XTC LP since 'Black Sea' I was amazed to hear that they were largely commercially unsuccessful. Amazing, are people out there deaf?
Thoroughly enjoyable.
Less so, was the doc on the Clash, also downloaded from the BBC, which seemed to fall into the very same format that Andy Partridge said he hated!

2017-18 - 65 games (Hartley W), 205 goals, av gpg 3.15, 26 new grounds.
2016-17 - 103 games, 329 goals, av gpg 3.19, 41 new grounds.
New Grounds in 2018 - 2. 2017 -44. Last new - Radstock Town- 23/12/17. Grounds in Total - 1150.
RL Grounds - 32 (Last - Belle Vue, Wakefield Trinity RL (1/7/17), Speedway Tracks 50.

(This post was edited by WestBerksPalace on Dec 21, 2017, 5:03 PM)

buncranaboy

Jan 5, 2018, 9:21 PM

Post #360 of 363 (494 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rustle] A musical interlude........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Wolverhampton Civic Hall : Black Country Communion. Admission 45. Attendance 3,000

Tardis time : Step back about 35 years and it's a fusion of Zeppelin and Purple in a time when life was so much simpler.Crazy Black Country Communion are the celebrated blues guitarist Joe Bonamassa, ex-Deep Purple man Glenn Hughes, Jason Bonham and keyboard wizard Derek Sherinian and the music is a homage to the region and the music it spawned in the seventies. Close your eyes and it's back then, only not as much patchouli in the air and the coats are less hairy.
As are many of the audience; where once there would have been loads of hair there are now shiny heads. No matter, it's a celebration of middle-age where most of the teeshirts sold afterwards will be XXL.
Wolves civic is a classic old venue, and there can't be many where you can select from a range of pies at the bar, or get a cracking pint of Enville Ale to accompany the gig. The joint was packed for the first ever gig of this "supergroup" whose album has been out a few months now and though the music was unfamiliar to many, the ambience soon settled and time/time lost took over. Many shades of Zeppelin in the music though the single "One last Soul" is very much Deep Purple. They have only the one album to select from, so there was always going to be an "extra" for the encore, and it was a blistering version of "Burn" and Hughes' voice, as it was all night, was perfect.
It was also a perfect night to bellow "WALLY".
Roots music for the Black Country. I loved every minute and every contrived solo. File under Progressive Tongue

Tuesday 2nd January at Wolves Civic - Black Country Communion. Admission 67.50. Attendance : 3,000
Can't quite believe it was seven years ago but.......four albums in and more of the same from Black Country Communion at a heaving Wolves Civic for which this was the last gig while it undergoes a makeover - I hope they don't change it too much as it's a great rock venue that this group call home. Wonderful vocals from Glenn Hughes, some unbelievable guitar work from Bonamassa whilst Jason Bonham just continues to do what he's one of the best at. The sound was a tad ropey on occasions but got sorted well before a terrific encore of Purple's "Mistreated". Another high note for me was the appearance of The Dubliners Gerry O'Connor on "Last Song for my Resting Place". A real feel-good and feel-old night but not at every gig do you get the lead vocalist trying to get the crowd involved by shouting "Let me hear you say YAM".......
Bostin and at just over two hours, worth every expensive penny. (most expensive gig ever held in this town?)
Last Song for My Resting Place : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7FssPpNG2w

(This post was edited by buncranaboy on Jan 5, 2018, 9:23 PM)

northstandexile
First Team Regular

Jan 12, 2018, 8:56 AM

Team(s): Mansfield Town

Post #361 of 363 (292 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
Wolverhampton Civic Hall : Black Country Communion. Admission 45. Attendance 3,000

Tardis time : Step back about 35 years and it's a fusion of Zeppelin and Purple in a time when life was so much simpler.Crazy Black Country Communion are the celebrated blues guitarist Joe Bonamassa, ex-Deep Purple man Glenn Hughes, Jason Bonham and keyboard wizard Derek Sherinian and the music is a homage to the region and the music it spawned in the seventies. Close your eyes and it's back then, only not as much patchouli in the air and the coats are less hairy.
As are many of the audience; where once there would have been loads of hair there are now shiny heads. No matter, it's a celebration of middle-age where most of the teeshirts sold afterwards will be XXL.
Wolves civic is a classic old venue, and there can't be many where you can select from a range of pies at the bar, or get a cracking pint of Enville Ale to accompany the gig. The joint was packed for the first ever gig of this "supergroup" whose album has been out a few months now and though the music was unfamiliar to many, the ambience soon settled and time/time lost took over. Many shades of Zeppelin in the music though the single "One last Soul" is very much Deep Purple. They have only the one album to select from, so there was always going to be an "extra" for the encore, and it was a blistering version of "Burn" and Hughes' voice, as it was all night, was perfect.
It was also a perfect night to bellow "WALLY".
Roots music for the Black Country. I loved every minute and every contrived solo. File under Progressive Tongue

Tuesday 2nd January at Wolves Civic - Black Country Communion. Admission 67.50. Attendance : 3,000
Can't quite believe it was seven years ago but.......four albums in and more of the same from Black Country Communion at a heaving Wolves Civic for which this was the last gig while it undergoes a makeover - I hope they don't change it too much as it's a great rock venue that this group call home. Wonderful vocals from Glenn Hughes, some unbelievable guitar work from Bonamassa whilst Jason Bonham just continues to do what he's one of the best at. The sound was a tad ropey on occasions but got sorted well before a terrific encore of Purple's "Mistreated". Another high note for me was the appearance of The Dubliners Gerry O'Connor on "Last Song for my Resting Place". A real feel-good and feel-old night but not at every gig do you get the lead vocalist trying to get the crowd involved by shouting "Let me hear you say YAM".......
Bostin and at just over two hours, worth every expensive penny. (most expensive gig ever held in this town?)
Last Song for My Resting Place : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7FssPpNG2w

So is this the real price of inflation 45 to 67.50 in 7 years. So 50% in seven years is that 7% a year or is it a bit more complicated than that?

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 12, 2018, 10:45 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #362 of 363 (282 views)
Shortcut
Re: [northstandexile] A musical interlude........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
So is this the real price of inflation 45 to 67.50 in 7 years. So 50% in seven years is that 7% a year or is it a bit more complicated than that?

As I am sure you suspected it's more complicated than that. An increase of 7% a year would have taken the price the price to 72.26. However the actual increase is only a whisker under 6%, which seems pretty hefty compared to the official inflation and pay increase figures.

buncranaboy

Jan 13, 2018, 10:57 PM

Post #363 of 363 (205 views)
Shortcut
Re: [northstandexile] A musical interlude........ [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's also a reflection of the standing of the band. The first gig was an experiment I guess; now with four albums out and a solid reputation built up, they would command more dosh. Much lesser acts have been charging more for so much less.
This was an unforgettable performance - has anyone currently got a better rock voice than 66 year-old Glenn Hughes; it's not as if he's looked after himself either......

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3