Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
Must do grounds in London & the south-east/Home Counties?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Mishi
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 13, 2018, 9:28 AM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #1 of 43 (5779 views)
Shortcut
Must do grounds in London & the south-east/Home Counties? Can't Post or Reply Privately

Copying the northern thread...where would you recommend to someone?

Briefly, off the top of my head, I'd go for Bromley, as one of the last 'traditional amateur grounds' in Greater London, albeit modernised, but in my eyes, without losing much of the character. Though try to go for a Cray wanderers match, as that would save you a few quid! Wink

Much as I dislike them, to say the least, the thugs & muggers have a good new-build at venereal fields. (That's t*****g * mitcham, in case you're wondering)

Low down, Crockenhill is a beautifully ramshackle dump.

On the coast Folkestone Invicta is a good mix, of cover, decent enough stand and open terracing, with an excellent club shop to boot.

On the Sussex coast, I think they are looking to move, I'd go for Hastings United, just for the huge old stand alone!

Further north, one that would get in my top ten, is Hitchin Town, a wonderful mix of old and new, with some old wooden terracing behind the goal, and along the side.

I'm sure there are many more...

Grounds visited: 719
Last new ground: Dulwich Village; Pynners Close, Dulwich, London. (Kent County League division Two West)
Last game: Tuesday 17th April 2018: Dulwich Village 1, Crayford Arrows 5. [Kent County League Division Two West]
Football matches watched this season: 121
2017/18-New English grounds: 10; & foreign: 8

(This post was edited by Mishi on Jan 13, 2018, 9:29 AM)

Hoofhearted
Youth Team Regular

Jan 13, 2018, 9:37 AM

Post #2 of 43 (5768 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Must do grounds in London & the south-east/Home Counties? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am desparately trying to get to Lewes

Mishi

Jan 13, 2018, 10:08 AM

Post #3 of 43 (5738 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hoofhearted] Must do grounds in London & the south-east/Home Counties? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Good call for Lewes, though surely I'm not the only one who feels they 'desecrated' the ground too much when they put in all that concrete terracing when they made the conference?

Stand on the terrace at the turnstile end, close to the bar/changing rooms...restricted views or what!

Last new ground: Dulwich Village; Pynners Close, Dulwich, London. (Kent County League division Two West)
Last game: Tuesday 17th April 2018: Dulwich Village 1, Crayford Arrows 5. [Kent County League Division Two West]

halsteadhumbug
Youth Team Sub

Jan 13, 2018, 10:52 AM

Team(s): Halstead Town

Post #4 of 43 (5694 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Must do grounds in London & the south-east/Home Counties? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Some of favourites are Marlow Bognor Regis Town and Hitchin Town. Although Hastings is a great call simply for the cavernous stand.

Counting down to returning to Argentina for 3 months in 2019.

garethwrexy

Jan 13, 2018, 12:14 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #5 of 43 (5623 views)
Shortcut

Hastings nice ground and town

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

Geoff
Reserve Team Star

Jan 13, 2018, 1:11 PM

Post #6 of 43 (5574 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Must do grounds in London & the south-east/Home Counties? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

All those grounds already mentioned are among my favourites and really worth a visit but using the “Must Do”, “Should Do” and, “Nice to Do” criteria they fall into the” Should” Do group.
The only true “Must Do” ground is of course The Old Spotted Dog, a bit of a dump these days but as London’s oldest it simply oozes character & history.
Sadly, most of the great non-league grounds in the south east are now long gone. Walthamstow Avenue, Dulwich Hamlet, Tooting & Mitcham, Chelmsford City, Romford, Hendon, Enfield, Dartford, Ilford, Barking, Leytonstone for example. Their replacements (where they exist) may be more comfortable and practical but they simply do not have the same grandeur as their predecessors.

garethwrexy

Jan 13, 2018, 1:48 PM

Post #7 of 43 (5557 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Geoff] Must do grounds in London & the south-east/Home Counties? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There few grounds on my bucket list

Mishi

Jan 13, 2018, 3:10 PM

Post #8 of 43 (5526 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Must do grounds in London & the south-east/Home Counties? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Personally, I can't see the fuss about the Old Spotted Dog...I get the "It's the oldest..." but for me it hardly 'oozes character'....

Gareth said: There few grounds on my bucket list

Do you mean: There ARE few grounds on your bucket list....meaning not many, if any

OR

There are A few grounds on your bucket lists...meaning there are some you do want to visit...if so, which ones?

garethwrexy

Jan 13, 2018, 3:48 PM

Post #9 of 43 (5510 views)
Shortcut

There few what call classic old grounds I want to visit

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 13, 2018, 6:45 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #10 of 43 (5411 views)
Shortcut

I'd list...

Maidenhead United, Marlow, Hitchin Town, Banbury United, St.Albans City, and Lewes among others.

I'll also list Aldershot Town's Recreation Ground. It is a great mish-mash of chunks of terracing and seating, wedged into a town-centre location, and the metal barrel-shaped roof over the end terrace helps generate a cracking atmosphere. I find it one of the great oddities of this forum that this brilliant non-league ground isn't celebrated on here much much more.

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jan 13, 2018, 6:51 PM

Team(s):

Post #11 of 43 (5399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Must do grounds in London & the south-east/Home Counties? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I enjoyed Ebbsfleet (or is it too much altered now?)

spen666
Youth Team Sub

Jan 13, 2018, 10:54 PM

Post #12 of 43 (5165 views)
Shortcut

Leyton Orient, almost certainly the best non league ground in the South East

kirby knitters

Jan 13, 2018, 11:06 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #13 of 43 (5148 views)
Shortcut
Re: [spen666] Must do grounds in London & the south-east/Home Counties? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Comes under the same category as 'Northern grounds' in this thread where the likes of York City and Stockport County were mentioned? Non-League but most certainly not proper Non-League.

Kirby Muxloe FC.
Former proud members of The Midland Football League. (Premier Division)

spen666
Youth Team Sub

Jan 13, 2018, 11:08 PM

Post #14 of 43 (5143 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Must do grounds in London & the south-east/Home Counties? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A non league club is a non league club.

No matter what Orient fans, Stockport, Tranmere, Wrexham etc think, they are non leagfue clubs, and hence their grounds are non league grounds.

I say this as someone who goes to most Orient home games. They are a non league club and the past is irrelevant

kirby knitters

Jan 13, 2018, 11:16 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #15 of 43 (5133 views)
Shortcut
Re: [spen666] Must do grounds in London & the south-east/Home Counties? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Absolutely but this thread is about grounds and the clubs you mention hardly play on NL grounds as many would describe them as no matter what standard the clubs currently using them are playing at.

Kirby Muxloe FC.
Former proud members of The Midland Football League. (Premier Division)

buncranaboy

Jan 13, 2018, 11:20 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #16 of 43 (5126 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

What's stopping you ?

paulh66

Jan 13, 2018, 11:47 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #17 of 43 (5095 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Not as good as Crockenhill Tongue

AndyE
First Team Star

Jan 14, 2018, 12:05 AM

Team(s): Chatham Town

Post #18 of 43 (5072 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Must do grounds in London & the south-east/Home Counties? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have to agree with the several mentions of Hastings United. I have a feeling that the legendary stand is a listed building, which wouldn't make it easy to redevelop the site if the football club does ever move on.

A few others which are worth a visit. I may be biased as regards one of them!

Chatham Town. Proper non league ground that isn't miles out of town, and has two stands and a proper terrace. A Step 3 ground currently hosting Step 5 football, but getting bigger crowds now than it ever did at Step 4.
Redbridge: Tatty in the extreme, the goalposts haven't been upright for as long as anyone can remember, no one watches them, the pitch is horrendous ... but the bar's good, and I just like going there.
Rusthall: Ramshackle, muddy, down a road about six inches wide, but the pitch is good and how many clubs at this level have a stand on the back pitch?

Am I allowed to say "Go to Erith and Belvedere, but don't feel that you need to go to Welling United"? For those who haven't been, these two clubs play on the same pitch but have their own stands and their own clubhouses. In both cases, the lower ranking club has the better one.

miswell
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 14, 2018, 12:23 AM

Team(s): Aylesbury Utd, Tring Athletic, Watford

Post #19 of 43 (5056 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Nope, still none the clearer....

garethwrexy

Jan 14, 2018, 9:44 AM

Post #20 of 43 (4827 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Must do grounds in London & the south-east/Home Counties? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Nothing

aiwa
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 14, 2018, 11:22 AM

Team(s):

Post #21 of 43 (4752 views)
Shortcut

Berks/Bucks: Windsor, Chesham, Marlow, Princes Risborough
Essex: Canvey Island, Harwich
Hampshire: Aldershot Military Stadium, Basingstoke, Bordon, Brockenhurst, Gosport, Cowes (IoW)
Herts: Hertford, Hitchin, St Albans
London: Finchley, Motspur Park, Welling
Surrey: Chertsey, Whyteleafe, Leatherhead
Sussex: Arundel, Bexhill, Haywards Heath, Newhaven (plus Hastings and Lewes)

eesti7
First Team Sub

Jan 14, 2018, 3:22 PM

Team(s): Gillingham, Tonbridge

Post #22 of 43 (4614 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aiwa] Must do grounds in London & the south-east/Home Counties? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'd add...
Ramsgate, Herne Bay, Whitstable and Tunbridge Wells in Kent

HertsHopper
Junior Team Star

Jan 14, 2018, 9:16 PM

Team(s): Hitchin Town

Post #23 of 43 (4309 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eesti7] Must do grounds in London & the south-east/Home Counties? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Some good recommendations to add to my ever growing list.
I would concur with Lewes, Folkestone Invicta, Hitchin Town, and Hertford Town.

I'd also pick Hemel just for the steep terrace under cover behind the far goal.
Elsewhere I'd go Berkhamsted FC, Saffron Walden Town and for a ramshackle charm, Waltham Abbey FC (recent storm damage has made it even more ramshackle).
Barton Rovers in the daylight for the Chiltern Hills backdrop and the birds of prey circling overhead.
I'd add Worthing FC despite the plastic pitch, for its stand at no extra charge.

(This post was edited by HertsHopper on Jan 15, 2018, 1:42 AM)

hemelite
First Team Regular

Jan 15, 2018, 9:04 AM

Team(s): Hemel Hempstead Town, West Ham United, Los Angeles Angels & USC

Post #24 of 43 (3924 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HertsHopper] Must do grounds in London & the south-east/Home Counties? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saffron Walden - Good call
I also like Marlow, Folkestone & Great Yarmouth

garethwrexy

Jan 15, 2018, 6:32 PM

Post #25 of 43 (3637 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hemelite] Must do grounds in London & the south-east/Home Counties? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hemel is ground I want to visit

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3