Chinese Owners- a good thing?

grumpydwarf
First Team Star

Feb 15, 2017, 8:02 PM

Team(s): non-league football

Post #1 of 23 (4223 views)
Shortcut
Chinese Owners- a good thing? Can't Post or Reply Privately

Is it coincidence that the 3 West Midlands Championship clubs recently taken over by new Chinese owners are all currently struggling near the wrong end of the table?

From a Wolves point of view the signing of Heldur Costa for 13 million seems an extravagance (despite the higher sell on clause). IMO it would have been more appropriate to spend the money on 3/4 decent Championship players and I am certain we would have not been looking over our shoulders at relegation!!!

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 15, 2017, 8:26 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #2 of 23 (4204 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grumpydwarf] Chinese Owners- a good thing? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

At the moment I'd say it's more a case of the teething problems you'll get whenever anyone coming in from outside the game buys a club in a country they're not familiar with. You just hope they'll learn quickly. The owners at Villa and Wolves seem to be doing so, replacing their first managers quite quickly for blokes who know the Championship inside out, though both will probably need the summer to stamp their mark. Be interesting to see who Blues replace Zola with when he eventually goes - Rowett perhaps?

Tranmere are currently fostering strong links with China and it'll be interesting to see if that ever leads to investment in the club.

Herb Alpert
First Team Sub

Feb 15, 2017, 9:21 PM

Team(s): Leyton Orient, whoever is playing w*** h**

Post #3 of 23 (4180 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Chinese Owners- a good thing? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Better than Italian owners MadMadMadMadMadMadMadMadMadMad

scottywalds
First Team Star

Feb 16, 2017, 11:21 AM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #4 of 23 (4090 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Herb Alpert] Chinese Owners- a good thing? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Ask Watford!

sandhurstbee
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 16, 2017, 3:57 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #5 of 23 (4043 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Chinese Owners- a good thing? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
At the moment I'd say it's more a case of the teething problems you'll get whenever anyone coming in from outside the game buys a club in a country they're not familiar with. You just hope they'll learn quickly. The owners at Villa and Wolves seem to be doing so, replacing their first managers quite quickly for blokes who know the Championship inside out, though both will probably need the summer to stamp their mark. Be interesting to see who Blues replace Zola with when he eventually goes - Rowett perhaps?

Tranmere are currently fostering strong links with China and it'll be interesting to see if that ever leads to investment in the club.

Sponsorship by Mr Woos Takeaway on the cards for next season Paul Wink

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

paulh66

Feb 16, 2017, 8:05 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #6 of 23 (4007 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Chinese Owners- a good thing? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Sponsorship by Mr Woos Takeaway on the cards for next season Paul Wink

If Mr Woo invests a fraction of the money he's made out me over the years it'll be a very good deal for the club! Wink

The Chinese initiative with Tranmere is a big thing and could become massive. Unlike initiatives over there by English clubs in the past, we seem to have got our foot in the door for a slice of the action that's just starting to be pushed on a massive scale by the Chinese government. The big money transfers by Chinese clubs are just the tip of the iceberg; the level of investment and pace of development at grass roots/academy level (which is where Rovers are currently involved) over there is also apparently mind-boggling.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 16, 2017, 10:28 PM

Post #7 of 23 (3959 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grumpydwarf] Chinese Owners- a good thing? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Is it coincidence that the 3 West Midlands Championship clubs recently taken over by new Chinese owners are all currently struggling near the wrong end of the table?

I don't know, but the top West Midlands club, also recently taken over by a Chinese owner, are currently sitting comfortably in the Premier League. The new owner has made no strange decisions and has given no indication, so far, that he is likely to do so. Lets hope things continue as they are.

Swindon Addick
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 17, 2017, 7:18 AM

Team(s): Cambridge City, Charlton Athletic

Post #8 of 23 (3900 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Herb Alpert] Chinese Owners- a good thing? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

You might think that Belgian owners with experience of running a club in Belgium would be a safer bet. But no...

Cambridge City - on a tour of places we've never heard of and can't spell.

PhilN
Youth Team Sub

Feb 20, 2017, 11:15 AM

Team(s): Birmingham City / Boldmere St. Michaels

Post #9 of 23 (3713 views)
Shortcut

As far as the Blues are concerned we've just exchanged a bunch of Chinese crooks for a bunch of Chinese incompetents.
League 1 here we come.

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 23, 2017, 7:12 PM

Post #10 of 23 (3614 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhilN] Chinese Owners- a good thing? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It depends upon the person in question - at Blackpool, we currently have some terrible English owners!

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 13, 2018, 6:06 PM

Post #11 of 23 (1935 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Chinese Owners- a good thing? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I don't know, but the top West Midlands club, also recently taken over by a Chinese owner, are currently sitting comfortably in the Premier League. The new owner has made no strange decisions and has given no indication, so far, that he is likely to do so. Lets hope things continue as they are.

Well, one year on things clearly haven't continued as they were and Albion's owner has now taken the very unusual decision to sack the chairman and CEO.

Interesting times, as they say.

garethwrexy

Feb 15, 2018, 8:33 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #12 of 23 (1698 views)
Shortcut

China or or Merseyside hard choice really

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

paulh66

Feb 15, 2018, 8:57 PM

Post #13 of 23 (1691 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Chinese Owners- a good thing? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
China or or Merseyside hard choice really

What choice?
(Take your time again....Laugh)

A year after my last post the relationship with the Chinese still seems to be going well. For example they regularly send a delegation of coaches over to Rovers for courses while Rovers have had a presence over their for quite a while, coaching and teaching English. It'll be a slow burner and longer term benefits are anticipated but I've no idea what that'll look like at the moment.

garethwrexy

Feb 15, 2018, 9:22 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #14 of 23 (1674 views)
Shortcut

Whatever

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Feb 15, 2018, 9:56 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #15 of 23 (1665 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Chinese Owners- a good thing? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

More foreign owners will become a problem in the PL once 14 has been reached, i think that is the tragic number 14, since that is over the 2/3rd majority which I think is the minimum majority needed when the PL votes on any major changes. The 39th game would then be back on the table

Climate Change
Reserve Team Sub

Feb 16, 2018, 12:16 PM

Post #16 of 23 (1549 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

From a Wolves point of view the signing of Heldur Costa for 13 million seems an extravagance (despite the higher sell on clause). IMO it would have been more appropriate to spend the money on 3/4 decent Championship players and I am certain we would have not been looking over our shoulders at relegation!!!

Ye of little faith!

I don't need Google. I have a Hoddy.

miswell
Reserve Team Star

Feb 22, 2018, 3:16 PM

Team(s): Aylesbury Utd, Tring Athletic, Watford

Post #17 of 23 (1301 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Chinese Owners- a good thing? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
More foreign owners will become a problem in the PL once 14 has been reached, i think that is the tragic number 14, since that is over the 2/3rd majority which I think is the minimum majority needed when the PL votes on any major changes. The 39th game would then be back on the table

That's not to say every foreign owner will want the 39th game though.

leohoenig
Administrator

Feb 22, 2018, 3:32 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #18 of 23 (1295 views)
Shortcut
Re: [miswell] Chinese Owners- a good thing? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Meanwhile, Wanda have still their 17% share in Atletico Madrid.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

dottirofhod

Feb 22, 2018, 3:50 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #19 of 23 (1284 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Chinese Owners- a good thing? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
=============================================

You still fishing ?

I have impeccable credentials , sorry to be so curt but I have had my wrist slapped.
From July 1, 2017. 228/184/44. (You know my rules) @ 11/05/2018.
OK,Mick no bragging.

leohoenig
Administrator

Feb 23, 2018, 1:36 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #20 of 23 (1198 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Chinese Owners- a good thing? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
=============================================

You still fishing ?

Not fishing, but certainly mis-typing. I should not post from the phone.
It is exactly the opposite of what I needed to say,

Wanda have sold their 17% share of Atletico Madrid.
I'm not certain if that will mean a change in sponsor's name on the stadium, which I believe is currently Wanda Metropolitano
Wanda will return their sponsorship name to the Dalian club, but it is too late to register the change for 2018.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 26, 2018, 9:45 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #21 of 23 (882 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Chinese Owners- a good thing? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Oxford United have got themselves a new owner - the Thai businessman Sumrith Thanakarnjanasuth, who previously held a 25% stake of Reading FC, and has generously congratulated himself for the Biscuit-munchers' achievement of play-off final last year (though by some accounts he spent rather less money there than was initially expected of him).

Despite presently being in 15th place on the fringes of the League One relegation quagmire, he has said he intends to get Oxford United into the Premier League (you heard it here first! Laugh), starting this coming Saturday at home to Fleetwood.

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Feb 26, 2018, 11:24 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #22 of 23 (856 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Chinese Owners- a good thing? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Oxford United have got themselves a new owner - the Thai businessman Sumrith Thanakarnjanasuth, who previously held a 25% stake of Reading FC, and has generously congratulated himself for the Biscuit-munchers' achievement of play-off final last year (though by some accounts he spent rather less money there than was initially expected of him).

Despite presently being in 15th place on the fringes of the League One relegation quagmire, he has said he intends to get Oxford United into the Premier League (you heard it here first! Laugh), starting this coming Saturday at home to Fleetwood.

Who would have thought that a foreigner with fairytale ambitions would ever own Oxford Uited

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 26, 2018, 11:39 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #23 of 23 (851 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Chinese Owners- a good thing? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Who would have thought that a foreigner with fairytale ambitions would ever own Oxford Uited

Lets hope he's not into yachting or holidaying in Tenerife!

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3