Team(s):

Post #1 of 21 (4903 views)
Shortcut
Tuesday 13th Feb Can't Post or Reply Privately

Needham Market 3-2 Felixstowe
Suffolk Premier Cup Q/F
Adm £11/7
Att 262

For some obscure reason I just couldn't get excited about this. It was a decent enough game, Needham went 2 up and we thought that was curtains for us, but before the break we were level. We fancied our chances 2nd half, but when we lost 2 of our better players through injury are hopes were gone, Needham got the winner 7 minutes before the end. I suppose we now say "concentrate on the League", maybe that's why I couldn't get into this game like I should have done, or maybe except for National Cup competitions, all cups are considered naff these days.
It certainly doesn't help when the non football people who currently run ITFC wont tell the local FA what finals can be played at Portman Road, the best part of any County cup is the excitement of playing at a decent stadium, but in Suffolk we never know until the last minute what games can be played there.

(This post was edited by youngster on Feb 13, 2018, 11:08 PM)

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 13, 2018, 11:09 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #2 of 21 (4884 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Tuesday 13th Feb [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sevenoaks Town 1 Erith Town 2
SCEFL Premier Division
Att; 127 (Official) I would suggest about 80 in reality
Admission £7 Programme £1 for 16 pages of which only 5 were fresh content - woeful.

Shock result as the league leaders 18 games unbeaten run came to an end with a smash and grab by lowly Erith Town. How the home side never won comfortably I will never know, as they dominated the first half and led by a goal to nil at the break. They continued to dominate the second half and looked the better side, but the young visiting team hung in and although they rode their luck and had (Gobby) goalkeeper Adam Malloy in fine form, they nicked the win with two goals out of the blue late in the game.
Oaks took the lead on 25 minutes with an excellent volley from ten yards following some good approach play and despite dominating they held the single goal lead until the 71st minute. A visiting player took aim from way outside the box and the ball flew past a bemused home keeper into the top corner. Three minutes later and Erith led. A good left wing move resulted in a superb low cross that an attacker met only a few yards out. The home keeper made an excellent save but the visitor was not to be denied and bundled the rebound home from close range. After that Sevenoaks pressed but were unable to muster anything and it was the visitors who celebrated at the end. Word of praise for the Referee, Mr Timpani, who handled a fast paced game sensibly.
As for Greatness Park, only greatness in name really. Two atcosts on the half way line with a bit of covered standing in between and a smaller atcost type behind one goal with bizarrely for step 5, an electronic scoreboard. The remainder is hard uncovered standing The 3G pitch however played really well and was my safety net for the night.
The dressing rooms are demountable buildings and the clubhouse a good 50 yards away, with the ground accessed via walking across grass / mud which this time of years was not a great deal of fun.
Seven quid seemed a bit steep too for step 5, as did the fiver for a club badge. Not one I will hurry back too, but another SCEFL venue ticked off.

(This post was edited by Bigaitch on Feb 13, 2018, 11:10 PM)

Nobody's Heroes
Youth Team Sub

Feb 13, 2018, 11:20 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, CPD Porthmadog, Ross County

Post #3 of 21 (4855 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Tuesday 13th Feb [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

With my 1st choice of Barnton v Bootle falling foul of the weather, relief was at hand at nearby Cantilever Park as Warrington Town played host to Stalybridge Celtic;

Evo-Stik Premier Division;

Warrington Town 0 Stalybridge Celtic 1

Admission - £10

Programme (from postponed game in December with insert) - £2

Attendance - 227

What appeared to be a home banker proved to be anything but as Stalybridge Celtic grew into the game, had the audacity to take the lead in the 74th minute, gave a penalty away (superbly saved by their keeper) and hung on for grim death to snatch an unexpected victory.

The pitch was in fine condition but was beginning to harden with a frost setting in towards the latter stages of the game.

Goalscorer for Stalybridge was former Oldham, Wrexham and FC United of Manchester stalwart, Matty Wolfenden.

Glad to get a game in with so many P-P across the north west.

Just beginning to thaw out now!

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Feb 13, 2018, 11:33 PM

Post #4 of 21 (4826 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nobody's Heroes] Tuesday 13th Feb [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Stourport Swifts 2 South Normanton Athletic 2

Walshes Meadow: Total Motion Midland League Premier Division

This was my first visit to the ground since last April when the Swifts overcame Brocton in a crucial league fixture for both teams at the time as they were battling to avoid the drop. The home team ultimately avoided relegation on that occasion and the Badgers eventually succumbed to relegation to the Midland League First Division. Walshes Meadow had not noticeably changed over the course of the past eight months and I was going to visit last month for the home encounter with local rivals Worcester City but that match fell victim to a waterlogged pitch. Stourport Swifts came into this evening's derby clash hovering just above the relegation zone but had progressed through to the last 16 of the FA Vase before bowing out away to Northern League Stockton Town. The Walshes Meadow outfit were knocked-out of the Worcestershire Senior Urn in their last outing when league rivals Bromsgrove Sporting required penalties to defeat the Swifts following a 2-2 last Tuesday. The visitors found themselves sat just one place off the bottom of the Premier Division table and seven points from safety after going down 2-0 at Quorn on Saturday afternoon. The Derbyshire club is enjoying their inaugural season at step five of the pyramid following promotion as East Midlands counties League runners-up last term.

The visitors nearly opened the scoring in the very first minute when South Normanton Athletic burst through and shot just wide from the edge of the penalty area. Stourport Swifts had a shot from the edge of the visitor's penalty area blocked for a 25th minute corner and then a visiting forward latched on to a through ball eight minutes later but saw his effort deflected behind for a corner. The hosts saw a low shot flash across the face of goal from a tight angle in the 39th minute before South Normanton Athletic went ahead three minutes later when a cross-field ball found the impressive number 11 before he cut inside from the right flank and fired a shot across the goalkeeper and into the corner of the net. The visitors stared the second-half by seeing a low 20 yard drive held by the Swifts goalkeeper in the 48th minute before the home team went down the other end of the pitch and netted from a tight angle to level the scores. But the Derbyshire club regained the lead in the 52nd minute when a low shot found the far corner of the home goal from a narrow angle. The Worcestershire hosts equalised again two minutes later when a cross was partially cleared and a low shot found the bottom corner of the net and then headed over from a 63rd minute cross on the right. South Normanton Athletic nearly regained the lead two minutes later but were unable to keep a volley down from a cross on the right and neither team trouble their opponent's respective goal too much before the final whistle until the Swifts saw a header saved from an 87th minute corner.

2017/18 Statistics
Goals: 548
Matches: 127.5
New Grounds: 14

Karb
First Team Sub

Feb 14, 2018, 12:03 AM

Team(s): Sunderland AFC, Keighley Cougars RL

Post #5 of 21 (4788 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Tuesday 13th Feb [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

League Two
Forest Green Rovers 3-1 Stevenage
Admission £18, Programme £3, Att: 1825

One by one, all of my planned non league fixtures fell victim to the weather so, instead, another one of the 92 was ticked off.

Decent game, Stevenage took the lead on 26 minutes, but had Revell sent off on 30 minutes. After that, the home side always looked likely to go on and win the game, though Stevenage may have fared better if they had held their lead going in at half time. Instead, the home side equalised in first half stoppage time and, buoyed by this, dominated the second half

"People do not have moments of truth in station waiting rooms"

Shepdyn
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 14, 2018, 12:07 AM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 21 (4785 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nobody's Heroes] Tuesday 13th Feb [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Leicestershire & Rutland FA Jelson Homes Senior Cup Semi-final
At The Linwood 3G,Aylestone Park FC
Heather St.John's v Anstey Nomads
In £5
No prog
Bar and snack bars open
Att 80 circa
H/T 0-0
F/T 3-2

Glad to get a game following Saturdays washout and the 3G at APFC came good following both teams agreement to use it as the grass pitch was unfit.
An entertaining game both sides playing attacking football on a fast surface and HSJ just about deserving victory after going 3-1 up with AN making it 3-2 with about 5 minutes remaining.
As is usual County FA didn't produce a programme(only a semi final after all) but had no hesitation in charging £5 on the gate-doing all they can for the local grassroots game I'm sure!

The Other Window--Live music promoters based in Leicester-- Psych/Stoner/Kraut/Doom/Drone/Electronica/Industrial/Noise/Punk/DIY/Kosmische

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Feb 14, 2018, 7:22 AM

Post #7 of 21 (4470 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Tuesday 13th Feb [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

....And another at Greatness Park for...

Sevenoaks Town 1 Erith Town 2
SCEFL Premier Division
Att; 127 (Official) I would suggest about 80 in reality
Admission £7 Programme £1 for 16 pages

....On an evening with a multitude of pp's (plus a surprising number played) it made sense to renew the 3/4g acquaintance. As is nearly always the case, there was little difference between watching a game on this covering and the pristine surface of an August pitch.

First visit to Greatness Park for must be since their first season in what was the Kent League in the early noughties and clear that there are big plans here as the ground has been tarted up with the artificial surface and the new surrounds. I am sure that the ground currently meets Level 4 standards but of course this season you can obtain promotion by not undertaking any improvements,

Though whilst the pitch and ground have been improved, I would like to think that there are plans to tarmac and provide some lighting over the car park which was unlit and full of puddles and also to tarmac over the walkway between the social club and the entrance, which consisted of liquefied mud and was also poorly lit.

Fully agree with the Mr H's excellent resume of proceedings, this was a real 'smash n' grab' of a win for the visitors (duly noted that it was the hosts first home league defeat of the season) but as wise people have said in the past 'If you do not take your chances' and this applied here. Hosts deservedly ahead with an excellent piece of control and subsequent half volley from Pogue which had too much power for Molloy who although got a hand to the shot could not keep it out (the half time texts from friends which made reference to 'at least you have seen a goal' were I am sure infused with irony).

Problem was during the first half for the hosts that although they had the majority of play they created little, though Molloy pulled off an excellent flying save to palm over a dipping free kick from Edwards that was heading over the bar.

It was during the early minutes of the second half that made the difference between the two teams as the hosts had several good chances to double the lead, which if achieved would have ended the match as a contest. However, the likes of Walker and Pogue went for needless power rather than accuracy and efforts were sent high into the chilly air rather than between the posts.

Costly period, but whilst Erith were persistent they gave little impression that they would turn around proceedings so suddenly and so profoundly. They levelled with a well struck effort from the edge of the area from Proni but questions I am sure were asked by the hosts management as to the amount of space and time afforded by the home defence. The leveller certainly inspired the visitors and a low cross from Palfrey was perfect for Warden and although Bradshaw parried the first shot, the rebound fell perfectly back to Palfrey who dispatched with ease.

Falling behind did little to galvanize the hosts to seek their own leveller and a more than surprising outcome gives hope to the chasing pack that they can overcome Sevenoaks' domination where they looked obvious champions.

Journeys to and from dominated by 'signalling problems between Orpington and Sevenoaks' which led to delays on both journeys. Help was at hand on the outward journey as there was a convenient connection to the much nearer Bat and Ball and also help was at hand on the return journey where due to engineering line on the main line between Barking and Upminster meant that all services were diverted via the Tilbury Loop and there was a convenient non-stop service between Barking and Grays. Indoors just before Shrove Tuesday became St Valentines Day.

The enlightening powers of this board, always seek to amaze. Yesterday, I found what the acronym PMSL means.....

Digdagdog
First Team Sub

Feb 14, 2018, 8:06 AM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #8 of 21 (4383 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Tuesday 13th Feb [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Middlesex FA Senior Cup - Semi-Final
Grosvenor Vale
Wealdstone FC 3 Staines Town 3 (5-6p)
Admission: £9 Programme: Issued but not taken Attendance: 192

With my original choice at Cockfosters falling foul of the weather, not fancying Hendon (save for another day) and seeing a chance to tick a NL venue, I pitched up in Ruislip. It was also a chance to see David Pratt, transferred from Chippenham, who I always thought was a good, hard-working striker for the Bluebirds and was tempted away for some big money. It was a good decision for me as I saw a cracker.
A vile night's weather (windy and constant drizzle), the pitch was wet but playable (just). Both teams went for it, in particular the Step 3 team who I thought played well. The Stones took the lead however on 10 with an un-marked side-footed finish from a corner. The Swans were level after 25 with a goal-mouth scramble and took the lead with a glorious cross and header much to the glee of the 20-or-so travelling fans. HT 1-2.
The Swans went further ahead on 55 with a breakaway finished adroitly and I thought that was it. Pratt played well but was starved of service; the home crowd were getting very restless. Finally, he cut in from the wing and was fouled in the area; the penalty dispatched on 68. The Stones threw everything forward but the away team defended staunchly; there were some niggly tackles by both teams and wanton time-wasting by the Swans. However, once again, Pratt surged down the right wing in added time and was hauled down for a free-kick. Whipped in, he was on the end of it for a glancing header on 90+3 for the equaliser.
Cue penalties. The Swans missed their 4th and the Stones missed their 5th (to win). They also missed their 7th to hand a place to Staines in the Final.
Bus to Ruislip afterwards, Metropolitan and Jubilee to Baker St and then the usual 205 bus back to Paddington. A great evening out.

2017-18 Games: 171 Goals: 745 GPG: 4.36 New Grounds: 114
2018-19 Games: 61 Goals: 234 GPG: 3.87 New Grounds: 36

(This post was edited by Digdagdog on Feb 14, 2018, 8:07 AM)

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 14, 2018, 9:38 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #9 of 21 (4173 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Tuesday 13th Feb [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Stourport Swifts 2 South Normanton Athletic 2 (Midland Football League Premier Division)

Described above quite admirably by Barcud-coch. My 22nd visit to Walshes Meadow, and I was amazed that the game was on - the pitch was pretty soft on top and frozen underneath. Not a lot to choose between the two sides - we felt it was a decent game, marred but not ruined by persistent squealing and bleating from both sides. The referee really should have dealt with this early on and then it may not have been a problem. Swifts are dangerously close to the foot of the table, but have lots of games in hand - once they have won a couple of them, things will look a lot better, although top scorer Lloyd has gone to Alvechurch and his goals will be missed. I always enjoy going to see the Swifts - they are a friendly bunch and one always feels welcome. Good company from Big Phil and Rhyd, the latter providing the Bovril, which was hot, strong and tasty. Very cold by close of play but still a good evening out.

DaveH
Youth Team Sub

Feb 14, 2018, 10:14 AM

Team(s): St Ives Town FC

Post #10 of 21 (4066 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Tuesday 13th Feb [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Suffolk Premier Cup 1/4 final
Haverhill Rovers 2-5 Kirkley & Pakefield
Adm - £6, Prog - £1 (standard Barnes Print), Att - 60 est

Having seen Borough on the 3G just over a month ago, I was keen to tick off the grass pitch.

Rovers were the dominant side to start with and raced into a 2-0 lead after 33 minutes. I thought they would go on to win by more, however K&P staged a comeback making it 2-2 before halftime.

The second half was all K&P as they eased to a 5-2 victory.

The pitch seems a lot bigger than the 3G and I don't think the floodlighting is as good.

Borough reserves had a Cambs league game on the 3G at the same time and there were about 15 people watching.

I did get a bit peed off in the second half with 2 Rovers fans moaning about and to the linesman next to us. He played a Rovers player on when by all accounts he was 10 feet offside because he couldn't keep up with play "...and that's coming from a home fan!!" This Suffolk cockney geezer kept bleating on until the final whistle went. Then he gave offside when Rovers scored "to cancel out his earlier mistake!" My one bug bear is people moaning about the officials. As far as I concerned they do an admirable job, one I wouldn't do again after referring a Sunday league game 20 odd years ago. To those that moan about poor officiating, I suggest you become one yourself and see how tough and difficult it can be.

The Programme is dead. Long live on-line!!

(This post was edited by DaveH on Feb 14, 2018, 10:31 AM)

John403
Youth Team Regular

Feb 14, 2018, 10:16 AM

Team(s): Fulham, Tooting & Mitcham, AFC Croydon Athletic

Post #11 of 21 (4056 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Karb] Tuesday 13th Feb [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at ............

Forest Green Rovers 3 v Stevenage 1

Enjoyable game and even though Stevenage went down to ten men in the first half I thought Forest Green were impressive. They’ve made some decent signings & should be good enough to stay up on this evidence.

I very rarely eat food at football as generally it’s such poor quality but I sampled the vegan burger and throughly enjoyed it, the chips also looked decent.

Decided to take the advise from others on this forum and parked about 10 Mins walk from the ground in a side street. Stress free journey home and back in London in under 2 hours.

(This post was edited by John403 on Feb 14, 2018, 10:19 AM)

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 14, 2018, 10:45 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #12 of 21 (3966 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John403] Tuesday 13th Feb [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SPFL Development League (2pm KO)
Hibernian v Partick Thistle, 3-1, H.T. 2-0, Att 130, Admission by donation, Programme 50p, Teamsheets Free
At ORIAM (Indoors)

The Scottish Rugby Union have priority over the indoor facilities at the ORIAM at present so it was a pleasant surprise to learn that this fixture would be played inside. Mind you, in order to avoid condensation the indoor temperature should match the outdoor temperature so it was far from cosy, but at least there wasn’t a howling gale cutting through you.

Hibs are top of this League although Celtic have a huge backlog of fixtures to make up and could theoretically overtake them. But the Edinburgh side got the job done today with a convincing 3-1 win over their Glasgow visitors. Partick had the best of the opening 15 minutes but that was as good as it got for them. They had no answer to the powerful forward play of Oli Shaw who finished up with an impressive hat trick.

Thistle’s goal came at 0-2 but they conceded the third within minutes so the comeback was never really on.

Good turn out of the local enthusiasts – good to catch up with Kitkat and others. The café was open selling a fine range of food and drink at very reasonable prices. Usual 50p programme, 4 pages, with league table, results and editorial. Teamsheets are available 10 minutes before kick off.

Parking remains a huge problem here – I was lucky to get a spot in Car Park A but most folk faced the 15 minute walk from Car Park I. The new Marriott Courtyard hotel is now open across the road from ORIAM. It is billed as a Sports Hotel with special facilities for sportspeople using the ORIAM complex. There is a large bar on the ground floor but I suspect they wouldn’t welcome scruff like me.

Rebel Yeller
Youth Team Star

Feb 14, 2018, 11:56 AM

Team(s): Hopper

Post #13 of 21 (3797 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Tuesday 13th Feb [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at Wealdstone v Staines Town and agree it was a thundering good cup tie from two full strength sides treating the competition seriously.

Programme was £1 and was a thin (8 page) but glossy effort with all of the basic info.

Grosvenor Vale is a wonderfully eclectic ground structurally but as I discovered last night there are no covered standing areas along the sides of the pitch. Seats yes and covered standing at either end. Would be nice to see some lateral covered standing in due course. I know Wealdstone haven't been there that long.

The other semi is next week - Hendon v Barnet (presumably mainly reserves as FL survival must be their priority. Final on 12 May- venue tba.

Steve2990
Ballboy/girl

Feb 14, 2018, 12:33 PM

Post #14 of 21 (3720 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rebel Yeller] Tuesday 13th Feb [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
there are no covered standing areas along the sides of the pitch. Seats yes and covered standing at either end.

That also describes Wealdstone's previous ground at Lower Mead.

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 14, 2018, 3:08 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #15 of 21 (3436 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DaveH] Tuesday 13th Feb [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Suffolk Premier Cup 1/4 final
Haverhill Rovers 2-5 Kirkley & Pakefield
Adm - £6, Prog - £1 (standard Barnes Print), Att - 60 est

. As far as I concerned they do an admirable job, one I wouldn't do again after referring a Sunday league game 20 odd years ago. To those that moan about poor officiating, I suggest you become one yourself and see how tough and difficult it can be.[/reply

Well said. Toughest job in footy and without match officials we have no game and what would the morons who berate them do then ? Don't get me wrong there are some better than others but as a well known football league manager once said, " When my players make as few mistakes as officials then I would be happy" .

bee007
Junior Team Regular

Feb 14, 2018, 3:39 PM

Post #16 of 21 (3378 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rebel Yeller] Tuesday 13th Feb [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Also at Wealdstone v Staines Town and agree it was a thundering good cup tie from two full strength sides treating the competition seriously.

Programme was £1 and was a thin (8 page) but glossy effort with all of the basic info.

Grosvenor Vale is a wonderfully eclectic ground structurally but as I discovered last night there are no covered standing areas along the sides of the pitch. Seats yes and covered standing at either end. Would be nice to see some lateral covered standing in due course. I know Wealdstone haven't been there that long.

The other semi is next week - Hendon v Barnet (presumably mainly reserves as FL survival must be their priority. Final on 12 May- venue tba.

As we are playing Carlisle on Tuesday, it will be the Youth Team on Wednesday.(don't have a Reserve Team)

RobWaite
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 14, 2018, 9:10 PM

Team(s): Here, there, everywhere

Post #17 of 21 (2892 views)
Shortcut
Re: Tuesday 13th Feb [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tuesday 13th February 2018
SkyBey EFL League Two
at Field Mill/One Call Stadium
Mansfield Town (4) 5
Danny Rose 6
Alfie Potter 9, 28, 61
Alex MacDonald 34
Newport County (0) 0
Attendance: 2,866 (inc 57 away fans)

WITH A ROCKSTEADY BEAT
https://the66pow.blogspot.com

Mark
Reserve Team Sub

Feb 15, 2018, 12:04 AM

Post #18 of 21 (2624 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RobWaite] Tuesday 13th Feb [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tamworth 0-3 Blyth Spartans
National League North
Attendance: 501
Admission: £12
Prog: Good issue for £2.50

A very enjoyable evening that could only have been improved had the game been played on a proper surface. Blyth had only drawn one game this season and, true to form, they were well worth watching and played a very open game that led to chances at both ends. They could easily have had a few more goals, but then Tamworth hit the bar perhaps three times and brought some lightning reaction saves from the visiting keeper.

Plenty of vocal support for Spartans, who brought a good turnout of at least 40 fans with them and I was able to have a quick chat with my old friend Jeff the kit man, who is close to completing 1,700 consecutive Blyth games going back over 30 years.

It's at least 25 years since I was at the Lamb Ground, so long ago that Wivenhoe had a decent step 2 team back then, and it's one of those great non-League venues that you kind of forget about by chasing ticks further down the pyramid. It doesn't look like it's changed much over the years - main stand with 5 or 6 rows of seats, narrow covered terrace opposite, an unusual covered terrace behind one goal which is divided into pens, and open terrace at the other end. Oddly, there didn't appear to be any home fans in the covered end during the first half, leading me to think it must be closed, but the Blyth fans had no problem standing there in the second period.

The whole place is very old school with nothing uniform and all the better for it - random buildings scattered around, a second turnstile at the bottom of a row of terraced houses, and having to walk around the back of the social club to access half the ground. Sustenance was provided by two snack bars with a good selection, the pie, chips and peas going down well on a very cold evening.

WestBerksPalace
First Team Star

Feb 15, 2018, 5:15 PM

Team(s): Palace/Epsom and Ewell/Didcot Town and Djurgardens IF.

Post #19 of 21 (2098 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mark] Tuesday 13th Feb [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

League Two
Wycombe Wanderers 3-2 Swindon Town, att 4,863, admission £20, programme £3, coffee £1.50.

Absolute corker of a game. First visit to Adams Park this season for a WW game (I saw Reading U23s play Bayern).

3rd v 5th pre match. And nice to see two sides slogging it out desperate to win. Swindon went ahead after 2 minutes, after a shot was parried into the path of Richards who scored from about eight yards. Only a few minutes later O'Nien drilled in from just inside the area, before again, only about five minutes later a defensive lapse allowed Wanderers to break at speed and Mackail-Smith had an easy tap in after an unselfish pass to him.

2-1 at ht.

Wycombe were the stronger more committed side throughout, but Swindon gave it their best. And rather against the run of play Matty Taylor hit a 35 yards direct free kick, which I would describe as a 'pile driver' into the top corner, a truly great strike, 2-2.

Game ebbed and flowed with Wycombe always looking more likely. Akinfenwa clearly living up to his nickname 'beast' as he bullied defenders with his physical strength and then bamboozled them with his rather quick feet and heading ability.
It looked like he had won the game late on after scoring, but ref dissallowed for a push on the defender, probably right.

But then going into the 90th minute the same man converted with a header from a right wing cross after a corner. Probably right result, as WW looked a decent side and on form.

Very good turnout from about 1,000-1,200 Robins fans, who were initially noisy but became quieter as their team were bullied out of the game.

Coventry are in these parts on the 27th, I might revisit!

Smile. Good to see Terry's Badges in situ by the programme hut. I had no idea he traded at WW. Picked up a Lichfield City badge after a recent badgeless visit there. He confirmed he will be on both the Scottish and Devon hops.

2018-19 - 35 games (Holyport/Ivybridge) 102 goals, average gpg 2.91, 12 new grounds, last new, Lutterworth Town, 13/10.
2017-18 - 122 games (N Cyprus/Karp), 392 goals, av gpg 3.21, 48 new grounds.
New Grounds in 2018 - 35.. 2017 -44. Grounds in Total - 1184.
RL Grounds - 33 (Last - Macron Stadium, Challenge Cup SFs (5/8/18), Speedway Tracks 50.

(This post was edited by WestBerksPalace on Feb 15, 2018, 5:22 PM)

Ipeland
Reserve Team Star

Feb 15, 2018, 11:30 PM

Team(s): Bolton Wanderers, local non-league teams

Post #20 of 21 (1863 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WestBerksPalace] Tuesday 13th Feb [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Jarrow Roofing BCA 5-1 Washington (1-1 HT) at Boldon CA Sports Ground
Northern League Division One
Admission: £6, Programme: Free (midweek foldout issue), Tea: £1, Steak pie: £1.50
Attendance: 120

Nearly a wipeout of fixtures in the North East with my first choice game at Ryhope and most backups falling to the weather and it was looking like a Tuesday indoors for me. However by some miracle this match stayed on so I decided to go for my third visit to the Boldon CA Sports Ground for this basement battle, 20th vs 21st out of 22 teams although there wass a healthy points gap between the two and Jarrow had games in hand.

Both teams weren't great, as to be expected, but they both managed to serve up a reasonable match. The hosts were clearly the better side throughout the first half, perhaps with some confidence from their win over Whitley Bay on Saturday, and took the lead in the 23rd minute, a free kick played through to Davey Palmer who slotted the ball under the keeper. Jarrow should've extended their lead with the amount of possession they had, but Washington got a lucky equaliser in the 35th minute, a long range shot from Jake Pickard which took a big deflection of a defender's foot, catching the Jarrow keeper out. The visitors started the second half well and were the more threatening side for the first 15 minutes or so, but they had the wind taken out of their sails after a quickfire double by the hosts. The first of these came in the 66th minute, Liam Anderson firing a parried shot into the roof of the net, and it was 3-1 two minutes later, Dennis Knight going on a good run down the right wing and into the box before hitting a decent shot into the top left corner. From there on out it was all Jarrow, adding another two to their tally, Paul Gardiner scoring a parried shot from the edge of the box before Olly Martin managed to get on the end of a loose ball on the edge of the box and hit it low under the keeper and into the net.

Another win for Jarrow which meant they are 2 points off safety with three games in hand over Penrith above them. Bitterly cold night as per usual, don't think Jarrow were expecting this match on as the kick off had to be delayed to redo the pitch markings, the pitch cut up quite easily and hopefully no major damage was done. No chips on offer tonight but loads of pies, pre-match steak pie went down well. Went there and back by metro as per usual, still no lights on the path through the park so torch needed. Back at the flat by 2220.

Grounds visited: 234
Last new ground: Old Shieldfield (Tweedmouth Rangers)
Next planned fixture: Sunderland WE v Annfield Plain - Wearside League - 17/10/18

andysanktpauli
Reserve Team Sub

Feb 17, 2018, 9:07 PM

Team(s): Ramsgate,FC St Pauli,Tranmere Rovers

Post #21 of 21 (1433 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ipeland] Tuesday 13th Feb [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Rice Fans FC 0 JK Silvertown 5

Charity game for Isla Austin cancer appeal

@Royal Docks Community School

att 53

This will get a few people twitching, 7Pm ko advertised but kicked off
20mins early, a 35minute first half and a 30minute second half.

3-0 at HT and 5-0 overall with JK Silvertown by far the better side.

Pleasant evening in the very decent company of 3 of the best Essex/East London hoppers i know and also Burnleys' ex was here.

Finished by 8 and an interesting backdrop with the Excel opposite and numerous planes on the approach to London City Airport

Grounds Visited; 977

Last ground, Peckham Town, Menace Arena
Peckham Town 3 Metrogas 0

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3