Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Rugby Union constitutions etc 2018/19

Ostrich
First Team Sub

May 12, 2018, 1:11 PM

Post #1 of 10 (1915 views)
Shortcut
Rugby Union constitutions etc 2018/19 Can't Post or Reply Privately

The SW Pyramid league provisional constitutions were released yesterday. The usual provisos about some lateral movements to be decided, including whether Stratford-on-Avon should revert to the Midlands.

http://www.swrugby.co.uk/latest-news

It seems Wessex RFC, who played very conveniently at Flowerpot Fields within walking distance of Exeter St Davids station, have apparently merged with a club which previously only fielded youth teams, Exeter Athletic RFC, and decamped to their ground, Oil Mill Lane, which seems to be in the middle of nowhere near Clyst St Mary. A shame because Wessex had been on my hit-list ...

On the other hand, newly-formed Amesbury RFC, who played friendlies last season, have been accepted into the pyramid, starting in Dorset & Wilts 3 North. They play at Archers Way, on the south side of the town not far off the Salisbury road, and close to Boscombe Down airfield's runway. So a welcome addition to my hitlist!

John Mills
Reserve Team Star

May 12, 2018, 8:28 PM

Post #2 of 10 (1865 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] Rugby Union constitutions etc 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or

Devonport HSOB, St Columba & Torpoint and Plympton Victoria - the three recent stragglers in Devon Two - do not appear on the document linked to at all. The appearance of an expanded Devon (One) division would seem to confirm recent Sunday independent rumours that they have been moved (with their agreement) to a new 'deregulated' league formed by merging into the Devon Merit Table structure.

AndrewG
First Team Star

May 13, 2018, 11:17 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 10 (1750 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Mills] Rugby Union constitutions etc 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There are certain to be major changes in the north west, with 24 Lancashire based clubs apparently voting to set up their own league to operate outside the RFU system, comprising two divisions of 12 with promotion and relegation between them, but not to the RFU leagues.

The Lancashire RFU will govern the leagues, but issued a statement that they were facilitating the wishes of the clubs concerned as opposed to pushing for change themselves. The clubs concerns seem to be the travelling distances they are asked, or potentially could be asked, to make in the current system.

The official statement I saw did not list the names of the clubs. I have seen a list, but will not post here without first seeing something official. If what I have seen is correct, 23 currently play in the RFU leagues, whilst the other had their first team in the current NW leagues that comprise mostly 2nd/3rd/etc XV's. Most of the clubs were Level 8 or 9, but one or two names did surprise me.

No news, that I have yet heard, on how the north west based RFU leagues will be restructered.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

May 14, 2018, 12:57 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #4 of 10 (1694 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndrewG] Rugby Union constitutions etc 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

May as well indicate which clubs might be doing what (seeing as it's been on the Lancashire RFU Twitter feed and one or two online forums for several weeks):

Proposed Lancashire Premier Division
Aldwinians, Didsbury Toc H, Eccles, Heaton Moor, Littleborough, Liverpool Collegiate, Liverpool St Helens, Oldham, Trafford MV, Tyldesley, West Park, Widnes, Wigan.

Proposed Lancashire Division One
Ashton-under-Lyne, Birchfield, Burnley, Bury, Clitheroe, Eagle, Garstang, North Manchester, Manchester Medics, Ormskirk, Thornton Cleveleys.

Liverpool St Helens probably the biggest surprise (historically, as Liverpool FC, they toed the RFU line zealously), along with West Park and Widnes. Nothing above the present level seven in the two divisions.

As someone remarked on the cross code section of totalrlfans.com: how amusing to find northern 'rugby' clubs breaking away from the RFU...

For sporting (and other) images, visit https://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/

Ground/venue totals: Football 900; Rugby Union 264; Rugby League 214; Cricket 125; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on May 14, 2018, 1:05 PM)

IAN S
First Team Star

May 14, 2018, 4:20 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #5 of 10 (1632 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Rugby Union constitutions etc 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It remains to be seen whether the new league will be affected by no-shows, especially later in the season. Normally RU can be relied on but a new set-up like this could be more akin to regional RL.

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

AndrewG
First Team Star

May 14, 2018, 11:20 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 10 (1550 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Rugby Union constitutions etc 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Didn't realise the list of clubs had been so widely circulated, as I had only seen it on one unofficial source. However, the 24 clubs were as listed by Feversham Lens, though the list I saw did not indicate how they would be divided between the two divisions. It did indicate it would be a 12-12 split, however, which would make sense - the list above is split 13-11.

I too was especially surprised by the inclusion of Liverpool St Helens, but for the southernmost Lancashire clubs I am puzzled what they gain by this - the only thing they save is potentially a once a year RFU subsidised jaunt to the Isle of Man, which I thought was popular with most of the clubs. The north Lancashire clubs I can understand a little more, as at level seven they get around half a dozen trips a season to Cumbria, many of them in north and west Cumbria. The Cumbrian clubs seem able to make just as many trips down the M6 without issue, but it was ever the case that those based in more isolated areas are prepared to travel out of necessity, whilst those based in large conurbations seem to regard anything over 30 miles away as the other end of the world!

In response to IanS's point, the lower tier of this league would be equivalent to level nine at best. At that level of rugby union I think it is every bit as unreliable as rugby league, and I would advise double and triple checking any game before attending!

AndrewG
First Team Star

Jun 17, 2018, 5:17 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 10 (1249 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndrewG] Rugby Union constitutions etc 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The various constitutions in the north west have now been confirmed, with only 20 of the originally listed 24 clubs joining the new Lancashire League - Eccles, Liverpool Collegiate, Birchfield and Garstang the ones deciding to stay in the RFU structure. They have gone with two divisions of ten teams, divided as listed earlier in this thread by Feversham Lens except for the fact that Wigan are in the lower division.

The RFU North Division have retained their two 14 team divisions at level seven, with some extra promotions, and Southport, Altrincham Kersal, Leigh and Rochdale switched from South Lancs and Cheshire to North Lancs and Cumbria. Below that they had proposed an eight team Cumbria League and eight team leagues at South Lancs and Cheshire Two and Three, with teams playing each other three times. Subsequently, two teams (Christleton and Wallasey I think) dropped out to join the North West Intermediate Leagues (those comprising mainly second and third teams etc), so they have gone with just a South Lancs and Cheshire Two of 14 teams.

Edit to clarify the above - just in case anyone is feeling really pedantic - Altrincham Kersal and Rochdale were both relegated from North One West not switched. Without the new leagues though, AK would certainly have gone to South Lancs and Cheshire, but Rochdale would possibly always have ended up in North Lancs and Cumbria.

(This post was edited by AndrewG on Jun 17, 2018, 11:14 PM)

AndrewG
First Team Star

Jul 8, 2018, 8:30 PM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 10 (972 views)
Shortcut

Yet another change, with a statement issued from Twickenham rather than direct from the RFU North Division, this time having Level 7, 8 and 9 leagues in Lancashire and Cheshire, and separate Level 7 and 8 leagues in Cumbria. They state this is a one season only solution, and acknowledge they are not applying their own rules re transferring clubs between regions to create leagues of equal size.

The statement adds that further consulation will take place to find a satisfactory solution for beyond next season. The reaction I have seen from the Cumbrian clubs has been lukewarm to say the least, and fixtures for the new season have still not been published, so I wouldn't put my life savings on things not changing again.

Ironically, this set up appears to be what those clubs who resigned to form the new Lancashire League wanted, but they are now no longer members of the RFU structure, and should they choose to return in the future one assumes they would have to rejoin at the lowest level.

AndrewG
First Team Star

Jul 16, 2018, 10:47 PM

Team(s):

Post #9 of 10 (814 views)
Shortcut

This week's edition of The Rugby Paper reported that the Cumbria RFU had appealed the latest RFU diktat on behalf of their member clubs, and that their appeal had been upheld by a two man independent panel.

Further face to face meetings are now reportedly planned, hopefully fairly urgent ones given the limited amount of time until the start of the new campaign.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Jul 21, 2018, 8:34 AM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #10 of 10 (694 views)
Shortcut

Final decision made on Cumbria...

http://cumbriarfu.pitchero.com/...mbria-2018-19-23910/

Structure for 2018-19 (likely to be a one-off, with a revamp planned for 2019-20):

Cumbria 1
St Benedicts, Aspatria, Wigton, Keswick, Hawcoat Park, Upper Eden, Whitehaven, Cockermouth
The exact format is being worked on by the RFU but it is likely to be each team plays the other seven home and away then form two 'conferences' i.e. top four and bottom four. They play the three teams in their conference, home and away, giving 20 fixtures. The team finishing first is promoted to level six and the runner-up goes into a play-off with their counterparts in Lancs/Cheshire.

Cumbria 2
Furness, Silloth, Workington, Carlisle Crusaders (Carlisle second XV), Windermere, Egremont, Millom, Creighton, Aspatria Eagles (Aspatria second XV), Wigton Wanderers (Wigton second XV)
These teams will play each other home and away, providing 18 league games.

For sporting (and other) images, visit https://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/

Ground/venue totals: Football 900; Rugby Union 264; Rugby League 214; Cricket 125; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jul 21, 2018, 8:40 AM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3