First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

leohoenig
Administrator

Jun 13, 2018, 5:51 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #1 of 425 (7272 views)
Shortcut
World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread Can't Post or Reply Privately

Spain have sacked their head coach, Julen Lopetegui today - with Fernando Hierro taking over in time for the game against Portugal on FridayLopetegui has just been named to take over at Real Madrid, apparently neither the man or the club told the Spanish Federation that negotiations were in progress,

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

andymackem
Junior Team Star

Jun 13, 2018, 8:58 PM

Team(s): Sunderland, Dynamo Moscow, Spennymoor Town

Post #2 of 425 (7231 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Quite an interesting article here about the way Russian football has changed in the build-up to the cup. https://thesetpieces.com/...as-football-culture/

The same site also has a nice interview with Leonid Slutsky, former Russia manager, about his time at Hull City and some of the problems facing Russian football. https://thesetpieces.com/...ll-russia-world-cup/

http://groundhoppers.blog - watching sports around the world
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074LZ3T2L - Ancients and Mariners, my e-book about 2016-17 in the Northern League. A 'diverting and compelling' read for the price of a pint at most Northern League clubhouses.

Barbie
First Team Sub

Jun 14, 2018, 1:27 PM

Team(s): Rye United RIP, Barry Town Utd

Post #3 of 425 (7120 views)
Shortcut
Re: [andymackem] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Don't know if anyone else does this, but to keep Mrs Barbie interested in the World Cup, I cook themed meals throughout the tournament.
This will be the 5th consecutive World Cup Finals tournament where I've done so, and it works like a dream.
She's always disappointed when the Koreans are eliminated (Korean pancakes have proved a particular favourite).
Tonight, to start the tournament, we have a Saudi menu of Mutabbaq (a filled fried bread), Sambusaq (samosas), Hummus & Fattoush (a salad flavoured with sumac). Probably followed by dates, figs & coffee.

windydcfc
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 14, 2018, 1:30 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #4 of 425 (7116 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barbie] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Don't know if anyone else does this, but to keep Mrs Barbie interested in the World Cup, I cook themed meals throughout the tournament.
This will be the 5th consecutive World Cup Finals tournament where I've done so, and it works like a dream.
She's always disappointed when the Koreans are eliminated (Korean pancakes have proved a particular favourite).
Tonight, to start the tournament, we have a Saudi menu of Mutabbaq (a filled fried bread), Sambusaq (samosas), Hummus & Fattoush (a salad flavoured with sumac). Probably followed by dates, figs & coffee.

Will Mrs Barbie be wearing a burqa & walk 10 paces behind you?

Barbie
First Team Sub

Jun 14, 2018, 1:34 PM

Post #5 of 425 (7111 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Crazy I think the reverse is more likely, frankly.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 14, 2018, 2:34 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #6 of 425 (7090 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barbie] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I can confirm that I have never cooked Mrs Barbie a themed meal.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 14, 2018, 2:45 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #7 of 425 (7082 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Knocked that idea on the head once India, China, USA and Italy all failed to qualify. Wink

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Jun 14, 2018, 2:48 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #8 of 425 (7077 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Beans on toast when England play?

Barbie
First Team Sub

Jun 14, 2018, 3:19 PM

Post #9 of 425 (7065 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Beans on toast when England play?

I generally avoid English cuisine over the period, though for England v Belgium, I could cover both with a bag of chips.

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 14, 2018, 4:16 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #10 of 425 (7048 views)
Shortcut

Smile This is a brilliant idea. I know we're having (Brazilian) ximxim de galinha tonight and (Haungarian) goulash tomorrow but will trawl through the recipe books (Hairy Bikers, Rick Stein's Weekends away, a whole book of Brazilian recipes) for Icelandic, Portuguese, French, Spanish, Brazilian, Belgian for the coming days.

pitch 63
First Team Star

Jun 14, 2018, 4:46 PM

Post #11 of 425 (7027 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

I take it that there will be no alcohol in your residence tonight.

Barbie
First Team Sub

Jun 14, 2018, 5:14 PM

Post #12 of 425 (7006 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Probably not. But more because it's a school night.....and the fact I tend to stick to Champagne!

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Jun 14, 2018, 5:44 PM

Post #13 of 425 (6984 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Probably not. But more because it's a school night.....and the fact I tend to stick to Champagne!

So no 'spoons for you in the near future!

007Dale
First Team Regular

Jun 14, 2018, 5:59 PM

Post #14 of 425 (6973 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Russia 5 Saudi Arabia 0

Not sure if it’s a reflection of Russia’s quality or the Saudi’s ineptitude

Barbie
First Team Sub

Jun 14, 2018, 6:11 PM

Post #15 of 425 (6966 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not a 'spoons fan myself. Despite the vegan menu. Prefer free houses.

Barbie
First Team Sub

Jun 14, 2018, 6:13 PM

Post #16 of 425 (6964 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Russia 5 Saudi Arabia 0

Not sure if it’s a reflection of Russia’s quality or the Saudi’s ineptitude

All my fault. I'm something of a reverse 'Paul the Octopus' with the menus.

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Jun 14, 2018, 7:27 PM

Post #17 of 425 (6937 views)
Shortcut

Russia were the better (by far) of two poor teams that won't be troubling the trophy engraver in a months time. Two notable moments from the opening day of the World Cup, Russia's fourth goal and Robbie Williams, and his performance wasn't that great.

PaulC

Jun 14, 2018, 9:27 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #18 of 425 (6879 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Russia were the better (by far) of two poor teams that won't be troubling the trophy engraver in a months time. Two notable moments from the opening day of the World Cup, Russia's fourth goal and Robbie Williams, and his performance wasn't that great.

I thought ITV were doing a re-run of Euro2000 when Williams appeared.

cope1

Jun 14, 2018, 9:53 PM

Post #19 of 425 (6868 views)
Shortcut

I do this, but we do themed food a lot so I'm not even sure she notices.

On a slightly different note I drove past a man and his son this afternoon and just caught the words "1966 son, that's the only time".

jrev61

Jun 14, 2018, 10:15 PM

Team(s): None

Post #20 of 425 (6850 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oxford Stone] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Smile This is a brilliant idea. I know we're having (Brazilian) ximxim de galinha tonight and (Haungarian) goulash tomorrow but will trawl through the recipe books (Hairy Bikers, Rick Stein's Weekends away, a whole book of Brazilian recipes) for Icelandic, Portuguese, French, Spanish, Brazilian, Belgian for the coming days.

I wouldn't recommend Icelandic cuisine, especially not that rotten fish that someone has urinated on. Even Bjork said that it's disgusting!

jrev61

jrev61

Jun 14, 2018, 10:17 PM

Team(s): None

Post #21 of 425 (6848 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Did anyone see the Saudi prince and Putin doing an arms deal during the match? Apparently there was a 5% discount for every goal Saudi conceded.Smile

jrev61

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Jun 14, 2018, 10:22 PM

Post #22 of 425 (6843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I might try this food thing, but only with alcohol, especially since the Germans nearly always go far in World Cups Smile

KnowYourMarket

Jun 15, 2018, 7:25 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #23 of 425 (6753 views)
Shortcut

Saudi were appalling and who knew Hans Segers was a Saudi....

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

windydcfc

Jun 15, 2018, 8:30 AM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #24 of 425 (6733 views)
Shortcut

I bet Mrs Barbie can’t wait until Monday & the England game. 15 pints of Stella all with jäger bombs chasers & washed down with a sweaty doner from Naz’s Kebabs.....

Barbie
First Team Sub

Jun 15, 2018, 11:47 AM

Post #25 of 425 (6664 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I bet Mrs Barbie can’t wait until Monday & the England game. 15 pints of Stella all with jäger bombs chasers & washed down with a sweaty doner from Naz’s Kebabs.....

Nah. I'm pretty sure Monday is Korean night. I'm already on a night off tonight, thanks to Langney Wanderers Vets v Hailsham Town Vets. Tomorrow, Jolof Rice has been requested - so, given my record over the years, I'd suggest not betting on Nigeria to win.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3