Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE

First page Previous page 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 Next page Last page  View All

Wiretown.Editor
First Team Regular

Jun 9, 2018, 10:56 PM

Team(s): Warrington Town are #1, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves

Post #2576 of 2673 (4453 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

With my planned E Lancs football being switched at short notice to a ground already visited and the the planned early return home guarantee meaning Scotland would not be possible I started on my summer National Conference visits with the stand out one today in range looking like

Kingstone Press Cider National Conference Premier Division
West Hull 22 Hunslet Club Parkside 24
Admission inc photocopied prog £2.50
Bar open but nothing real on. Hot drinks and food on sale pitch side
Att. 100 appx.

The visitors had and still have a 100% record but this was close to being broken although Hull never held the lead. The first half was defences on top with the score just 0-8. The second half saw the lead reduced but then extended at one point to 22-10. The hosts were held at arms length for all bar the last five mins but were to be denied.

Pre match saw a brief stop at The Black Swan in Asselby. Tim Taylor Boltmaker and Spotlight One More were tasted and very much approved.

(This post was edited by Wiretown.Editor on Jun 9, 2018, 10:58 PM)

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 10, 2018, 7:42 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #2577 of 2673 (4285 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wiretown.Editor] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 9th June
National League One
London Skolars 30-37 Hunslet
Attendance 200 est
Admission £15 - Programme £2

A much better game than expected with the hosts racing into a shock 18-0 lead with three converted tries in the first 25 minutes before the visitors got a foothold scoring two converted tries before half time to make it a one score game at the break. With the momentum shifted to Hunslet it was all one way traffic early in the second half as they scored another try to level, then took the lead and pulled away with two more tries, all converted, to lead 36-18 with 10 minutes remaining and the game seemingly over, but then the hosts got a lucky break with an interception and 70 yard run to pull a try back and with belief creeping back in they scored another try with minutes, both converted and all of a sudden the the gap was back to 6 points, the visitors responded with a late drop goal to restore the two score advantage and they held on until the end. Among the crowd was a noisy coachload of visiting fans and new rugby league convert Sussexhopper.

My first visit to New River Stadium since July 2003 when I saw Skolars lose to Keighley Cougars. Only change since then is the new 3G pitch plus, unlike then, was able to walk around to the open terrace on the opposite side to the stand. Leaving the ground at the end of the game passed Haringey Borough's Coles Park ground where a match was taking place, presumably a placings match in the CONIFA World Cup as I saw some unfamiliar flags draped over the stand. Didn't stop to look in as I had to catch a bus to Enfield for the final.

Next planned rugby league a double header Saturday 16 June - Wigan Warriors U19 v Newcastle Thunder U19 at Orrell (1200) with NCL options at Salford City Roosters, Ince Rose Bridge or Thatto Heath Crusaders (1430). If I need back up to Wigan (Castleford U19 were unable to raise a team there yesterday), Warrington U19 v Leeds U19 at Victoria Park also kicks off at 1200. North Wales Crusaders v York City Knights a possibility on Sunday if I stay up overnight.

(This post was edited by cherryhopper on Jun 10, 2018, 9:29 PM)

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 10, 2018, 11:43 PM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #2578 of 2673 (4199 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

NCL3: Stanley Rangers 8-44 Salford City Roosters
Admisison: £2 inc programme
Attendance: c70
Basement battle between 2 teams that each have shipped plenty of points in losses this season. As Feversham Lens has reported, SCR have not always had a full strength lineup, but on this occasion, they had 16 players. The kick off was a waste from the home side, sailing straight out of play, and perhaps was symptomatic of the game. Salford scored early, added a penalty and then a 2nd try - but having a man red-carded in the play. The 12 men added another try in the first half. The expected push with the extra man 2nd half failed to materilaise and it was the visitors who looked the more likely scorers. One try back did not prompt a revival and the 2nd home try was very late on. Tbh the ref was a little generous to the home side too, insubordination could easily have been punished and a definite try was ruled short of the line - local home fans concurred. This looks tough times for Stanley - with even some question about survival if they are relegated. I doubt their funding streams would be much different though and they'd have more local games, not sure they'd win many though. Salford looked capable of another gear, which should be enough to stave off the abyss.
The venue was in Lea Moor (there's another pitch on Ferry Lane, some way away). This is apparently a good drainer, on top of the moor, with decent views. The bizz of M62 traffic is audible and it's railed on all sides, but with no covre and the only seating is a wonderful carved stone seat behind one goal. The scoreboard is unused due to a lack of volunteers. There's a pretty good clubhouse at the entrance (no cask ale) with a lot of donated shirts.
Pre-match I called in to the West Riding Refreshment Rooms in Dewsbury and the Wakefield Beer Exchange and Jolly (Boys) Tap, close to wakefield bus station, where the convenient 444 leaves /arrives. Stanley also has the GBG Graziers, but I was there recently and times did not suit today.

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground Centralstadion, Leipzig Germany 3-0 Russia
With FC United: 130
On the agenda:
Nov 16: Eilenburg v Plauen
Nov 17: Meuselwitz v Jena
Nov 18: Anadolou Berlin v SFC Staaken; Turkyemispor v BFC Dynamo

AndrewG
First Team Star

Jun 10, 2018, 11:44 PM

Team(s):

Post #2579 of 2673 (4198 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday 3rd June 2018 (ko 1500)
at Whitebank Stadium, Oldham
RFL League One
Oldham 32 Doncaster 12 (ht 16-0)
Admission - £14.00 + £2.00 transfer to seats
Programme - 24 pages, £3.00
Attendance - 453 (official)

I wanted to revisit the Whitebank Stadium now Oldham have returned to their home town, to see what alterations have been made. The answer is far fewer than I expected. The clubhouse has been totally refurbished, again, and an artificial pitch has been laid. That has required the levelling of the previous considerable slope, and the building of a new retaining wall in the corner by the main stand as well as some new stepped terracing up to the seats. But that is pretty much it, although spectators were allowed behind the far end, which hasnít always been the case when I previously visited for rugby, so perhaps this area has been tidied up. The only other change I noticed was catering being dispensed from an outside hatch on the clubhouse rather than from a mobile van.

The ground will be perfectly adequate for new hosts Avroís requirements, unless they make an astonishingly rapid rise up the football pyramid, but, should Oldham regain their place in the RFL Championship, I assume the ground will again fall short on capacity requirements and they will once again have to decamp out of town. I had rather naively assumed that something might have been done to address that issue.

Rugby League at this level is wildly overpriced, which probably explains why so many clubs are constantly complaining about their disappointing attendances. £14.00 to watch part time players is hardly going to draw in many casual spectators, particularly in a working class area. I have no idea as to the answer, as the clubs would no doubt claim if they dropped prices they would not pull in enough extra punters to make up the shortfall. Rugby League programmes at this level are also usually fairly dire - in fact Oldhamís issue is quite good, being high on content and low on advertising, but is still at least a pound too much.

The game is rather disappointing, as I hoped for a close contest between teams starting the day level on points in third and fourth positions. In the event, either Oldham are very good or Doncaster very poor on the day - perhaps a little of both. It was almost all one way traffic from the off, with a Doncaster score in the dying stages of stoppage time seeing the visitors reduce the margin of defeat to twenty points, which was actually very flattering to them.

Saturday 9th June 2018 (ko 1430)
at The Pit Field, Kells
National Conference League Premier Division
Kells 12 Wath Brow Hornets 13 (ht 6-6)
Admission - £3.00 inc 24 page programme
Attendance - 600 (estimate)

Since joining the NCL, Kells have, as far as I am aware, only played games at the Pit Field in early season, due to the poor drainage at the main pitch at the Welfare Ground. However, it seems this has been their regular venue this year, and, I assume, probably will be for the rest of the season. Whether they are just resting the Welfare Ground pitch or it requires work to improve that drainage issue, I do not know, but anyone still needing to visit the Pit Field might be well advised to keep an eye on Kells fixtures this summer. Their twitter feed seems to be reliable on confirming the venue a few days in advance. As many of you will know, it enjoys a stunning cliff top location, so todayís weather was absolutely perfect.

Which ever ground they are using, changing rooms and clubhouse facilities are a few minutes walk away at Kells base at Old Arrowthwaite. Tucked away in the back streets of the former mining settlement, despite having been before I still took a wrong turning, and ended up approaching via what must be a little used footpath judging by the amount of encroaching vegetation. Jennings Bitter was available on hand pump at the bar, but there was no food on sale pre match, and nor where there any catering facilities of any kind at the ground. In todayís weather I was rather surprised that a local ice cream van hadnít thought it worth parking up at pitch side.

Club officials were charging admission and dispensing programmes on the access road to the pitch, whilst teamsheets had been available in the clubhouse. Given that the unenclosed site is passed on both sides by public rights of way, they are entirely dependent on the honesty of spectators to pay. The pitch, with a substantial cross field slope, is railed on three sides, the exception being the top side, where a shallow grass banking forms something of a natural barrier. No scoreboard, and there are training lights situated along one side. Shortly after arriving at the pitch I was pleased to bump into fellow poster Seagull for the second time in around a month, who was making a revisit here as a convenient venue to fit into his dayís family chauffeuring commitments.

The most remarkable feature is the location of the pitch. The pit wheel of the former Haig Colliery, the building restored as part of a mining museum that sadly closed soon after opening due to austerity cuts, would provide an impressive enough focal point. But here you are located right on the cliff tops above Whitehaven, alongside the coast path, with unobstructed views out to sea and to nearby St Beeís Head. On clearer days the Isle of Man can also be sighted from here, but it was too hazy for that today. I travelled up to Kells on the Stagecoach number 2 bus service, which runs at half hourly intervals and takes just ten minutes. However, I walked back down the extremely steep coast path, and was rewarded with even more stunning views on route.

The local derby fixture lived up to expectations on the field, even though both teams went into the game on the back of successive defeats. Wath Brow dominated large parts of the first half, with some determined Kells defence limiting them to one score, before the hosts scored with the last play of the half to go into the interval on the unlikeliest of level terms. The visitors seemed set to restore their control with an early second half try, but this time Kells responded with a long spell of pressure, and levelled again around the hour mark. It really was anybodyís game now, and the tension erupted into a melee after a high tackle that saw the referee issue three red cards for throwing punching, two to Kells and one to Wath Brow. The incident led to a substantial amount of stoppage time, and we were eight minutes into a total of twelve that were added when Wath Brow scored what proved to be a decisive drop goal.

Outlaw
Junior Team Star

Jun 11, 2018, 10:48 AM

Post #2580 of 2673 (4116 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

We definitely had it as 36. Six tries, five conversions and the penalty on the final whistle.

IAN S
First Team Star

Jun 11, 2018, 12:54 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #2581 of 2673 (4085 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Outlaw] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for that, this morning's RL Express also has the correct score in it.

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

Shepdyn
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 13, 2018, 10:07 AM

Team(s):

Post #2582 of 2673 (3881 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday 10th June 2018
Betfred League 1
At Butts Park Arena
Coventry Bears v Oldham Roughyeds
In £12
Prog £2
Teamsheet free
Bar open hot food available
Att 337
H/T 0-32
F/T 0-60

OR made changes to their team but were still far too strong for CB winning with ease.
Venue is ok if you like a large grandstand and flat standing though a lot of the seats to the back of the stand were covered in bird droppings.
Prog is very poor,no league table,fixtures or results included.
Visited the Broomfield Tavern pre and post match-highly recommended and very close to ground.

The Other Window--Live music promoters based in Leicester-- Psych/Stoner/Kraut/Doom/Drone/Electronica/Industrial/Noise/Punk/DIY/Kosmische

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 13, 2018, 2:09 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #2583 of 2673 (3828 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

So it could be the final season for Super League end of season Super 8s with one-up , one-down replacing it. Will it be missed if it goes? Nobody will ever forget the HKR/Salford game but the system drew so much bad press from people within the game citing pressure etc which i could never understand.

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Jun 13, 2018, 4:23 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #2584 of 2673 (3793 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
So it could be the final season for Super League end of season Super 8s with one-up , one-down replacing it. Will it be missed if it goes? Nobody will ever forget the HKR/Salford game but the system drew so much bad press from people within the game citing pressure etc which i could never understand.

The main issue is having a season that runs until October but only knowing the fixtures until the end of July with then a week's notice for the rest of the games. Just in time for the school holidays to begin, so folk don't bother buying season tickets because they know there's a good chance they could miss 2 of the 14 home games even if they only go on holiday for a week.

I know it's not too different to the SPFL 'split', but it's a nonsense even before you get to the MPG situation, where last season Leigh managed to avoid finishing bottom in the regular season, finished in the top half of the 8's and still went down!

IAN S
First Team Star

Jun 14, 2018, 11:45 AM

Post #2585 of 2673 (3676 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If one-up, one-down comes in it will kill professional RL. If like this season, (Toronto), one team walks away with it, there's no point going for any other team's fans. Similar in SL, one team adrift at bottom, (most likely team that comes up), season over.
It's all about keeping the same teams in SL so they can "develop".

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Jun 14, 2018, 12:37 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #2586 of 2673 (3668 views)
Shortcut

Couldn't agree more. The 'Super League is the be all and end all' approach has virtually killed rugby league outside the top flight. Crowds at, and interest in, most Championship and League One (is that what we're calling them this week?) clubs are now at joke levels. Since 1996 thousands of fans have voted with their feet, and they won't be coming back. Also, below the pro/semi-pro divisions, participation is plummeting because playing (nay, being forced to play) a summer season simply doesn't suit many amateur rugby league players, officials and spectators. Some pundits predict British rugby league will become a sport played only on park pitches. Given the dire state of the sport's amateur arm, I reckon that's wildly optimistic.

For sporting (and other) images, visit https://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/

Ground/venue totals: Football 898; Rugby Union 260; Rugby League 213; Cricket 125; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jun 14, 2018, 12:39 PM)

007Dale
First Team Regular

Jun 14, 2018, 3:22 PM

Post #2587 of 2673 (3601 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Personally I like the super 8ís - if the £1m game is the issue, this could be scrapped. It keeps the season entertaining for a number of clubs in all divisions.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Jun 14, 2018, 3:36 PM

Post #2588 of 2673 (3594 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It keeps the season entertaining for a number of clubs in all divisions.

The fans simply aren't buying the claim 'every game means something'. Attendances for the Super 8s aren't great. For the preposterous Championship Shield (anyone remember who won it in 2017?), crowds are abysmal.

Ground/venue totals: Football 898; Rugby Union 260; Rugby League 213; Cricket 125; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

chesterbird
Youth Team Sub

Jun 16, 2018, 9:45 AM

Team(s): Chester City, Liverpool FC,

Post #2589 of 2673 (3323 views)
Shortcut

Friday 15th June 7.45pm att 9121

Huddersfield Giants 26 v Catalan Dragons 25 adm free promo ticket £3 prog.

A fabulous game on a very nice evening and a bumper crowd helped by the free tickets the club dished out -plenty of posters around the week before advertising this.

The Catalans stormed in to an 18 point lead within the first 20 mins or so with some brilliant tactical kicking leading to 3 tries and looked to be on for a stack of points.Giants hit back with a couple of tries only for the french to lead 24-14 at the break.The second half was very nip and tuck with no points at all for a good 20 imins until Giants 12 went over for a very nice try and the the big game changer as McGillivray ran approx 95yards for a superb interception try to make it 22-24 and set up a cracking finish. Giants then had a penalty to level it but Gigot dropped a goal for the Catalans to give them a 1 point lead with about 6 to go but a penalty right in fron of the posts for the Giants made it a great win and 5 on the trot.

A few beers afterwards made it a very late night but as ever in Huddersfield all in superb form-Kings Head especially good being our pub of the year.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Jun 16, 2018, 5:11 PM

Post #2590 of 2673 (3275 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chesterbird] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 16th June 2018
Allerton Bywater Bulldogs 22 Queensbury 26 (HT 12-10)
Yorkshire League, Division One (level nine, 2pm kick-off)
Free admission, no programmes (raffle tickets, a quid, for a meat tray; yuk - thank goodness I didn't win)
Attendance 45 (h/c)
Soft drinks and confectionery available (didn't bother)

This closely-fought contest of fluctuating fortunes was marred by a very high error count, an undercurrent of ill-feeling and rather eccentric refereeing. Queensbury, second in the table at kick-off, owed their victory, which takes them top, to a strong opening quarter (after which they led 10-0) and an enthusiastic finish (converted tries in the 68th and 71st minutes proved decisive). In between, Allerton Bywater were much the better side. On the hour, the hosts led 22-14 but were unable to maintain their superiority. The try count was 5-4 in Queensbury's favour. All but the first 27 minutes was 12-a-side. A player from each team was red-carded after an exchange of punches. Not the first in this match, and by no means the last. Queensbury have won all seven of their games this season.

Allerton Bywater is one of numerous rural former pit villages dotted around the unappealing town of Castleford. Houses are being built on the site of the coal mine, whose operational life spanned 1875 and 1992. Winding wheel memorials abound. Allerton Bywater is an expanding community. New houses appear to be springing up all over the place. The rugby league ground, off Ninevah Lane, is surprisingly pleasant. Hemmed in by trees, the pitch is part-railed. Its southwest corner doesn't feature railings, owing to the encroachment of shrubs. The pitch looks on the small side, and slopes downhill fairly steeply into the southwest corner. No cover, no hardstanding, no lights. The changing rooms - housed in a style-free (albeit vandal-proof) red-brick box - crown a grass bank on the north side of the pitch. There is limited parking alongside, beneath trees.

I opted for rugby league this afternoon because the weather forecast promised a day of continual rain. As I type this, just before 5pm, it's teeming down for the first time. Enough to scupper the second innings at most of my selected cricket matches, so the right decision, I guess.

Had a chat with one of the Queensbury coaches during the game. He said there is no immediate prospect of the club returning to their local authority-owned pitch in the village. Its surface remains in poor condition. As a result, Queensbury continue to play home matches at Halifax RUFC's Ovenden Park ground. It's only three miles away (if about 1,200 feet lower!) but, clearly, the rugby league club aren't happy with the situation.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jun 16, 2018, 6:42 PM)

Mike S
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 16, 2018, 7:02 PM

Post #2591 of 2673 (3230 views)
Shortcut

Saturday 16 June 2018
South Leeds 14 West Hull Knights ie A team 16
Venue Leeds Corinthians RU
Attendance 60

Set off for Wetherby picking up passengers at Meadowhall, to find they had previously visited said venue. They had however managed to track down a contact from South Leeds who had confirmed game on.
Arrived far too early and little to do in Middleton although the park stretches across to Hunslet RL
Leeds Corinthians are not typical of RU grounds in Leeds, where it could be argued RU is north and RL south. There is not the impression of wealth that exists at West Park or Yarnbury. The ground is off the ring road that runs through the seemingly never ending Middleton estate and comprises a clubhouse above changing rooms. The pitch is railed on all 4 sides.
My travelling companion spoke to one of the people behind South Leeds and it appears the club were founded by the RU club to keep the club open during the summer rather than an existing team using their facilities. This is their first season. They appointed the officials and then sourced all local players. They were surprised as a new club to be put in Div 2 but results suggest this was correct
The referee was a female and according to the person we were speaking to has reffed them 2 weeks earlier and although they lost and had a man sent off, she was excellent. She was certainly challenged, as anyone seems to be with team from Middleton. The two worst brawls I have seen involved teams from this area and Hunslet OB, under two miles away, as they were then known had four sent off before the game was abandoned when I went to Ince Rose Bridge. Inevitably a fairly brutal brawl occurred today and as things settled down the two benches made a number of interchanges and a couple of players changed shirts. After some delay we appeared to have four sin binned
the game was low scoring and always close. With only 30 points this was my lowest haul in the amateurs since a 6 10 at Greetland in Feb 2016

IAN S
First Team Star

Jun 16, 2018, 8:53 PM

Post #2592 of 2673 (3179 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mike S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Featherstone Lions 43 York Acorn 12National Conference Oneh/t 26-12no admission or programme, (never got one here)

Set out for Sherburn Bears but Worth Village never turned up, so this was nearest Conference game. Arrived five minutes in to find Lions already 6-0 up, five minutes later it was 18-0. Acorn were abysmal in this opening period and never looked like making a game of it. Game was effectively over at HT.

South Leeds is my preferred location next week but only if I get confirmation. (Note to self, don't bother with Worth Village again).

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Jun 16, 2018, 10:08 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #2593 of 2673 (3141 views)
Shortcut

National Conference League Div 2
Dewsbury Moor Maroons v Stanningley 10-22 (adm £2.50 inc prog (good effort). att 190 (est))

At least. I did make it to the game I was planning to attend, although this game, between the top two in the division, never really reached the heights. Moor scored first, but Stanningley soon came back to lead 6-18 at half time. In a low scoring second half, Stanningley scored a penalty either side of a try by Maroons. Maroons also had a player red carded just before the end, further convincing the home supporters that the whole world was against them.

I wasn't greatly struck on this ground, which is at the end of Cornfield (not accessible via Carr Lane which looked the best way on Google Maps), and, like a few others in this league, is a few minutes' walk from the clubhouse and changing rooms, which are on Heckmondwike Road. The main "middle pitch" is railed off with dugouts, but has no other facilities apart from an uninvestigated tea bar in a portacabin. The lack of cover wasn't a problem there, although I got absolutely drenched after the game on the walk back to the station.

I didn't' try any pubs on this rather notorious estate but went to Wetherspoon's Time Piece and the West Riding on the railway station in the town centre. Both were pretty good, and the latter would have been excellent were it for not for large groups suddenly piling off a train for one drink each.

(This post was edited by Sale Holmfield on Jun 16, 2018, 10:10 PM)

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 16, 2018, 10:48 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #2594 of 2673 (3117 views)
Shortcut

Saturday 16 June - double header:

Wigan Warriors U19's 50-4 Newcastle Thunder Academy (HT 16-4)
Played at the former ground of Orrell RUFC
Headcount 135
Admission £5
Free A5 teamsheet handed out irn main stand.

Predictably one sided game though it wasn't until the second half the floodgates opened. The visitors kept the score respectable in the first half. It was only 12-0 from two converted tries after 30 minutes when Thunder found a gap in the right hand corner to score what turned out to be their only try, angle too tight for the kicker to convert. Warriors responded with their 3rd try and first missed conversion before the break. Second half all one way traffic with the hosts running in six more tries converting all but one of them. Missed Orrell Rugby Union before they folded and Wigan Warriors took over Edgehall Road which meant an academy game was the only opportunity to tick the ground before it goes (been sold according to a recent post from Feversham Lens). It's well worth seeing with terracing on 3 sides and a main stand with 10 rows of amber seats on the other. The terrace opposite the main stand is covered while the open terrace at the entrance end is much larger than the far end though the top half of it is crumbling and fenced off to spectators. The clubhouse is behind though only the gym seemed to still be in use. Though this game kicked off at 1200 most remaining games kick off at 2pm. From here it was onto

1430 - National Conference League Division 3
Salford City Roosters 22-42 Beverley (HT 14-12)
Attendance peaked at around 50 in first half but considerably less in second half when the heavens opened!
Programme £2 including admission

Struggling Roosters have improved in recent weeks and gave the league leaders a run for their money in an entertaining game in which they took the lead with an early penalty and dominated possession in the first 10 minutes before being undone by a 60 yard breakaway try from the visitors. The hosts then scored a try of their own to level then retake the lead with the conversion. The lead swung back and forth as the visitors scored another converted try to lead befoe hosts levelled then converted to give them a half time lead. Roosters extended their lead with an early second half penalty as it began to rain heavily with thunder and lightning making me fear an abandonment but Beverley stepped up a gear scoring 20 unanswered points to turn a 16-12 defecit into a 32-16 lead. Missed one of the tries as I ran back to my car to get rain jacket out, returned to see them miss what I thought was a penalty as the defending team weren't all stood behind the posts but the kick off suggested another try had been scored within a minute of the previous one. Roosters scored a converted try soon after to get back into the game but it was it was the visitors who finished on top scoring two more tries. Ground just off the M60 on the opposite side to Salford City Reds' stadium. Both sides have four floodlight pylons and trees behind which shielded the wind but were useless in preventing me getting soaked! Pitch enclosed all the way round by a rusty rail through concrete posts. Behind is a second pitch railed off on the sides. Around the corner is the ground of Eccles Rugby Union club where a fair was taking place.

Sunday hope to complete League One for North Wales Crusaders v York City Knights. Rain may yet scupper plan to double with the first of two T20 cricket matches between Shropshire and Buckinghamshire at Whitchurch.

(This post was edited by cherryhopper on Jun 16, 2018, 11:58 PM)

onion_bag
Reserve Team Star

Jun 17, 2018, 12:03 AM

Post #2595 of 2673 (3085 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
National Conference League Div 2
Dewsbury Moor Maroons v Stanningley 10-22 (adm £2.50 inc prog (good effort). att 190 (est))

At least. I did make it to the game I was planning to attend, although this game, between the top two in the division, never really reached the heights. Moor scored first, but Stanningley soon came back to lead 6-18 at half time. In a low scoring second half, Stanningley scored a penalty either side of a try by Maroons. Maroons also had a player red carded just before the end, further convincing the home supporters that the whole world was against them.

I wasn't greatly struck on this ground, which is at the end of Cornfield (not accessible via Carr Lane which looked the best way on Google Maps), and, like a few others in this league, is a few minutes' walk from the clubhouse and changing rooms, which are on Heckmondwike Road. The main "middle pitch" is railed off with dugouts, but has no other facilities apart from an uninvestigated tea bar in a portacabin. The lack of cover wasn't a problem there, although I got absolutely drenched after the game on the walk back to the station.

I didn't' try any pubs on this rather notorious estate but went to Wetherspoon's Time Piece and the West Riding on the railway station in the town centre. Both were pretty good, and the latter would have been excellent were it for not for large groups suddenly piling off a train for one drink each.

Also here , with 'International Hopper Gulliver' .... a niggly game between the top two sides in the division. Plenty of crunching tackles and plenty of penalties.

View all photos from Dewsbury Moor

http://onion-bag.blogspot.co.uk//
http://rugbyleaguegrounds.blogspot.co.uk/

(This post was edited by onion_bag on Jun 17, 2018, 12:04 AM)

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Jun 17, 2018, 12:17 AM

Post #2596 of 2673 (3076 views)
Shortcut
Re: [onion_bag] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Excellent pictures, Onion Bag, which show just how young some match officials are in this league!
I must have stood very near you in the first half, assuming there wasn't more than one photographer.

Wiretown.Editor
First Team Regular

Jun 17, 2018, 12:48 AM

Team(s): Warrington Town are #1, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves

Post #2597 of 2673 (3068 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
1430 - National Conference League Division 3
Salford City Roosters 22-42 Beverley (HT 14-12)
Attendance peaked at around 50 in first half but considerably less in second half when the heavens opened!
Programme £2 including admission

Struggling Roosters have improved in recent weeks and gave the league leaders a run for their money in an entertaining game in which they took the lead with an early penalty and dominated possession in the first 10 minutes before being undone by a 60 yard breakaway try from the visitors. The hosts then scored a try of their own to level then retake the lead with the conversion. The lead swung back and forth as the visitors scored another converted try to lead befoe hosts levelled then converted to give them a half time lead. Roosters extended their lead with an early second half penalty as it began to rain heavily with thunder and lightning making me fear an abandonment but Beverley stepped up a gear scoring 20 unanswered points to turn a 16-12 defecit into a 32-16 lead. Missed one of the tries as I ran back to my car to get rain jacket out, returned to see them miss what I thought was a penalty as the defending team weren't all stood behind the posts but the kick off suggested another try had been scored within a minute of the previous one. Roosters scored a converted try soon after to get back into the game but it was it was the visitors who finished on top scoring two more tries. Ground just off the M60 on the opposite side to Salford City Reds' stadium. Both sides have four floodlight pylons and trees behind which shielded the wind but were useless in preventing me getting soaked! Pitch enclosed all the way round by a rusty rail through concrete posts. Behind is a second pitch railed off on the sides. Around the corner is the ground of Eccles Rugby Union club where a fair was taking place.

Also at this and I thought I recognised the poster by sight from numerous ground hops.

Agree this was an excellent game that the struggling hosts contributed to beyond pre match expectation. Came prepared with umbrellas given the forecast which was accurate to within about half an hour so saw all the scores and stayed 95% dry.

Pre match saw a call in at The GBG listed Queens Arms in Patricroft. The sites and Hobgoblin Gold in good nick. Not an over imaginative range admittedly but still well worth seeking out as an old fashioned gem of a town pub. Loads of little rooms and alcove off a central bar and sumptuously decorated from a bygone era. An enjoyable day all round.

Biting the bullet next Saturday and going to get Gateshead Storm ticked off with luck.

onion_bag
Reserve Team Star

Jun 17, 2018, 12:13 PM

Post #2598 of 2673 (2959 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Excellent pictures, Onion Bag, which show just how young some match officials are in this league!
I must have stood very near you in the first half, assuming there wasn't more than one photographer.

Thanks SaleH for the kind words. Were you carrying a small black backpack ?
The officials were quite young , i think i have suits older than the linesman from yesterday. I have seen it quite often this season , some of them are as young as 14 years old. Happy to report have yet to see any of the players or spectators giving them a hard time. If it was football am sure it would be a lot different !

http://onion-bag.blogspot.co.uk//
http://rugbyleaguegrounds.blogspot.co.uk/

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Jun 17, 2018, 12:59 PM

Post #2599 of 2673 (2927 views)
Shortcut
Re: [onion_bag] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes, that was me.
Although the players treated the officials with respect, I couldn't say the same of the home supporters when I stood among them at the end of the game yesterday.

AndrewG
First Team Star

Jun 17, 2018, 11:18 PM

Team(s):

Post #2600 of 2673 (2848 views)
Shortcut

Saturday 16th June 2018 (ko 1435)
at Pinfold Street, Ince-in-Makerfield
National Conference League Division One
Ince Rose Bridge 10 Leigh Miners Rangers 18 (6-18)
Admission - £2.00 inc 28 page programme
Attendance - 200 (estimate)

I had originally planned a new ground today at Ulverston, but with the weather forecast increasingly pessimistic whether persistent rain would clear the area before kick off, I had second thoughts. Their pitch, set well away from clubhouse and changing rooms, would offer no protection from the elements, and I can still recall getting soaked watching football at Ulverston Rangers (same complex, different pitch) prior to their merger with Glaxo. Little fun when you have a lengthy public transport journey home. I settled instead on a local revisit, with slightly more shelter if the forecast heavy showers materialised.

I had visited Pinfold Street in 2012, my first season of watching the National Conference after its switch to a summer season, and I canít recall having seen Ince Rose Bridge play since. Their ground, easily reached from Wigan town centre on the Stagecoach 540 bus service, which runs at 15 minute intervals, is little changed. Railed on all four sides, with mainly grass standing, tree cover on the northern touchline provided ample protection from some mostly light rain in the early stages.

The clubhouse and changing rooms are housed in the same building behind the posts. Theakstonís Mild was available on hand pump (I stuck to cider so canít comment on its condition), and the kitchen was serving up a range of hot food and drinks from well before kick off, with serving hatches on both the inside and outside of the building. What is new I think - at least I couldnít remember it - is a conservatory attached to the building offering unobstructed views of the pitch. It was to prove useful as half time approached, when, with little warning, light rain turned into a torrential deluge. It was rather crowded with probably 90% of the crowd in there, but the advantages of being tall meant I had a clear view of Leigh Miners scoring with the final play of the half at the opposite end of the pitch.

The half time interval will often be taken on the pitch at this level, but with the thunderstorm in full swing, the visitors and match officials retreated to the changing rooms, whilst the home team took shelter in the unusual metal hangar type building that stands on the far side of the pitch and, I assume, provides some sort of indoor training facility. We had a full ten minute break instead of the more usual five, but the thunder was still rumbling as the second half got underway, and it was still raining but not as heavily. A brick storage building behind the posts provided shelter from the prevailing wind direction and, therefore, the easing downpour, and eventually most of the second half was played out in pleasant summer weather.

Relegation threatened Rose Bridge against promotion chasing Leigh Miners might not have promised that great a game, but it actually turned out rather well. Crucially, perhaps, the underdogs got the first score, but the visitors replied with three first half tries, that aforementioned score just before the interval affording some breathing space. The second half, however, saw possession largely dominated by the hosts, who gave a gutsy display as game ending injuries to three players severely affected their available interchanges. They also had three potential scores ruled out, though two were for clear cut knock ons, the third a forward pass that must have been a much closer call. An unconverted try deep in stoppage time gave Rose Bridge some reward for their efforts, but came too late to effect the outcome, though their was still time for their increasing tetchiness with the officials to see a red card issued to one of their coaching staff, for what the referee described as questioning the integrity of a match official.

First page Previous page 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3