INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: International Hopping:
Luxembourg

sheffgeoff
First Team Star

Jun 12, 2018, 9:41 PM

Team(s): Colchester United, Stocksbridge Park Steels, Borussia Dortmund & Essex CCC

Post #1 of 3 (2490 views)
Shortcut
Luxembourg Can't Post or Reply Privately

I took the Eurostar from St Pancras to Brussels and then caught a connecting train to Namur where I was stopping the night before the game. My train passed the Stade communal de Namur, home of Union Royale Namur on the way into the town. Surely one or two of our esteemed posters have seen a game there? I had an excellent evening in Namur with a good choice of restaurants and bars to visit. Next morning I headed onwards to Luxembourg City and after checking into my hotel I spent the afternoon sightseeing.

Tuesday 5th June 20:00

Stade Josy Barthel

International Friendly

Luxembourg 1(0) Georgia 0(0)

White & Blue Shirts / White Shorts Red Shirts & Shorts

Attendance 1786

Admission Tribune Couverte €25 No Progs Team Sheet Free

Sausage €3.50 Beer €4

Stade Josy Barthel was opened in 1931 and it’s current capacity is 7983. It is named after Luxembourg’s 1952 Olympic 1500m athletics gold medal winner. The all-seated stadium is open on three sides with just one side covered. The pitch is surrounded by a blue running track. A new 9,385 capacity national stadium to replace the Stade Josy Barthel is being constructed at a cost of €60m and is due to be completed by the end of next year.

It was an easy journey from my hotel to the stadium. I travelled on the 21 bus to the Biischtefabrik stop. From there it was a short ten minute walk. I purchased a top price ticket in the Tribune Couverte. Hot food on offer was limited to a choice of two different sausages served in bread rolls. The bar next door offered soft drinks and alcohol free beer. No progs today but I did manage to secure a team sheet from the press section.

On a warm early summer evening the conditions were perfect for football. With the two teams just separated by a few places in the FIFA rankings I expected this to be a close game and so it proved. Georgia shaded the first half going close on a number of occasions. After the break the visitors still seemed the most likely to break the deadlock but in the 70th minute a ball in to the Georgian box wasn’t cleared and Aurelien Joachim reacted quickest to fire Luxembourg in front. Cheered on by a small but noisy group of supporters Georgia put the hosts under pressure but Luxembourg defended well and held on for the victory. Having seen them win by the same score line in Malta in March I must be a lucky mascot for the team from the Grand Duchy.

(This post was edited by sheffgeoff on Jun 12, 2018, 9:45 PM)

monty
Junior Team Star

Oct 11, 2018, 8:00 AM

Post #2 of 3 (1724 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sheffgeoff] Luxembourg [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Does anyone know if Nations League tickets can be bought on the day for Luxembourg games?

I’ve tried the website but it’s unclear...

brb
Youth Team Star

Oct 11, 2018, 7:58 PM

Team(s): SG Dynamo Dresden, FC Stahl Brandenburg

Post #3 of 3 (1575 views)
Shortcut
Re: [monty] Luxembourg [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

sure.

may u compare attendances and stadium numbers?

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3