England team.

MolineuxPhil
Youth Team Sub

Oct 12, 2018, 11:59 AM

Team(s): Everton Wolves.

Post #1 of 14 (2156 views)
Shortcut
England team. Can't Post or Reply Privately

Is it only me but dose anybody else not give a toss about the present England team and set up.

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 12, 2018, 2:48 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #2 of 14 (2077 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MolineuxPhil] England team. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I disagree ... the current team and set up is one the easiest to support for a long time.

Can never understand those to seem to think willing their own national side to do poorly is some badge of honour.

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Oct 12, 2018, 3:35 PM

Post #3 of 14 (2040 views)
Shortcut

Shouldn't this be in the 'All Other Football' section of the forum? I can't see the relevance to groundhopping or programmes.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 12, 2018, 4:27 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #4 of 14 (2003 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] England team. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I disagree ... the current team and set up is one the easiest to support for a long time.

Can never understand those to seem to think willing their own national side to do poorly is some badge of honour.

The question was about people not giving a toss about England and that is different to willing them to lose. I have done a couple of tournaments in the dim and distant and had a great time at them both but times and attitudes change. I neither celebrate wins nor shed tears in defeat anymore.Maybe an attitude brought on by the love of non-league football.

hotchkiss
First Team Sub

Oct 12, 2018, 4:38 PM

Team(s): wolves,non league

Post #5 of 14 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Will you feel the same when Connor Coady gets into the squad. ?

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 12, 2018, 9:56 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #6 of 14 (1854 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] England team. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

The question was about people not giving a toss about England and that is different to willing them to lose. I have done a couple of tournaments in the dim and distant and had a great time at them both but times and attitudes change. I neither celebrate wins nor shed tears in defeat anymore.Maybe an attitude brought on by the love of non-league football.

I read an article over the summer (maybe in WSC?) by someone who reckoned that their entire feelings for the English national team changed during the 1990 World Cup quarter-final, the very moment that Ekeke put Cameroon 2-1 up with 25mins to go. Instead of despair, he realised that his immediate reaction was "Hmm, this looks bloody interesting!"

I'll confess to feeling the same at that very moment, too. England's dreadful/lucky matches up until then, a team of ageing clogs (excepting Paul Gascoigne), Lineker's soft falls for the penalties, the horrible conduct of the tabloid press towards Bobby Robson, boorish fights outside the local pub, and quite how fantastic Cameroon played that night - it all made it rather too easy to turn your back on the continuing disappointments of the England side and just carry on with the rest of your life. Large sections of society had been doing this with football in general for a good twenty years.

Of course, when England got through to the semi-final and faced West Germany, I was back cheering them again. However, I've never quite been able to forget that refreshing realisation that there is more to life than handcuffing your emotions to the outcome of the circus that is international football. Yep, I don't cheer when England lose, but neither do I shed a tear.

I will admit that Gareth Southgate seems to be the first genuinely likeable person to be connected with the England set-up since Graham Taylor was hounded out. That might help me get a little back onside.

(This post was edited by oxpete on Oct 12, 2018, 9:58 PM)

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 12, 2018, 10:02 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #7 of 14 (1842 views)
Shortcut

I have never understood the apathy towards the England team from some followers of the game.
To me it is very simple. I am English and I am a follower of football, therefore I follow England.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 12, 2018, 10:39 PM

Post #8 of 14 (1820 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] England team. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In the mid/late 70s I followed England to as many away games in Europe as I could afford.

To start with there would only be a few other English followers there - one game at Hampden there seemed to be about 20 (although there would doubtless be others keeping a low profile).

However, as time went on an increasing number of obnoxious-types, particularly Cockneys (Millwall, West Ham, Chelsea), began to appear at games primarily, it seemed, looking to start fights.

Apart from being English, I had nothing in common with them and did not really wish to be have them around me so I stopped travelling to England matches. Some of the people I travelled with carried on for longer but most, if not all, have long stopped. All though, I am sure, would, like me, never consider any country other than England to be their team.

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Oct 12, 2018, 11:42 PM

Post #9 of 14 (1773 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] England team. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Agree with you there, another factor that should be mentioned was the racism that appeared in the 80's. On the way back from an England v Northern Ireland game in Feb 1982, I witnessed some England 'fans' racially abusing an Asian man at Baker Street tube station (he was standing on a platform on the other side of the line) and at an U-21 international v Poland at Upton Park just two months later, the National Front were distributing leaflets outside the ground. Both of these incidents led me to avoid England home games for some years.

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 13, 2018, 1:29 AM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #10 of 14 (1727 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] England team. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I have never understood the apathy towards the England team from some followers of the game.
To me it is very simple. I am English and I am a follower of football, therefore I follow England.

Like most Mancunians, Ingerlund is not something I have much of an affinity for. Some is related to appalling behaviour of Ingerlund fans in the past both at games and the propensity of England fixtures (particularly during the World Cup) to engender divvyitis outside games. Also, poor treatment of Manchester United players doesn't help. I count myself a Mancunian, Northerner, Brit and European ahead of being 'English'. There's only a single person at FC United who actually goes to England games and he's a Southerner. I only know one Manchester United fan who goes to England games, though he is a Mancunian.

I've never bought a ticket for an England game, though I've ended up seeing 4 games involving them:

One game work got tickets and I went at no cost to me - at Old Trafford

In 2006, I had Trinidad 'follow your team' ticket and England were drawn in the same group, with tickets transferring to the group winners (England). At all 3 England games, the towns/cities were overrun, making getting a pleasant, quiet beer pre-game next to impossible. At Stuttgart, the bars on the way from the station were all full of leary England fans spilling out into the street but the old town had a 'Weindorf', with nice and peaceful England fans at least. By contrast, all my other World Cup games saw much better behaviour from fans of other countries. I wouldn't have regretted Sweden topping the group and following them instead for another 2 games.

I do agree with others that Gareth Southgate's humility is refreshing and worthy of respect.

In rugby union, I have no problem supporting England, though the Lions hold more appeal.

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground Clandeboye Park (859) Ards 2-2 Dungannon Swifts
With FC United: 130
On the agenda:
Nov 13: Mossley v FC United
Nov 15: Germany v Russia @Leipzig
Nov 16: Eilenburg v Plauen
Nov 17: Meuselwitz v Jena

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 15, 2018, 10:01 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #11 of 14 (1106 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] England team. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I agree, and a few more games and results like tonight will make it even easier, even though one of our best wins could have turned into one of our worst collapses! Nowhere near the finished article but it's refreshingly enjoyable watching this team grow, and the build up to the first goal followed by the execution really was top class.

Of course the negative sentiments expressed in this thread are rooted in reality but, if perceptions around the national team are ever going to change, it's hard to see what more the current crop can do.

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Oct 15, 2018, 10:06 PM)

Sunny Nunny
Youth Team Star

Oct 16, 2018, 8:46 AM

Team(s): Nuneaton Borough

Post #12 of 14 (968 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] England team. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Something i was wondering reading this thread , and oftenscore touched on it .
Does this anti England sentiment from what i assume are englishmen , apply to other sports or even the country as a whole ? I consider myself both english & british and find it difficult to imagine why anyone wouldn't want their own nation to be a success at anything .

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 16, 2018, 9:36 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #13 of 14 (930 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sunny Nunny] England team. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I consider myself both english & british and find it difficult to imagine why anyone wouldn't want their own nation to be a success at anything .
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I consider myself English.
Yes I also cannot understand anyone not supporting their own nation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 112 / 92 / 20(You know my rules) @ 10 /11 /2018.(Only 8 x 0-0's)
Benelux. Bel = 0-0-0- ( 0-0-0 ) - ( 5-0-0-1 ) Lux = 0-0. Neth = 0-0-0 - ( 2 - 1 ).
Scotland Senior 0-0-0-0-(0-0)-EastofS -1 NofS 0 - SouthofS -2 - Junior (0-0-0)-(0-0-1-0)-(0-0)-(0).
N I = 0-0-5. ROI =0-0-( Leinster-2 , Munster-2, Ulster -0.) Wales =0- (0-0).
Scan Den=1-1, Faroes=8, Fin=0-2, Ice=0-3, Nor=0-9, Swe=0-1. Baltics Est= 0, Lat= 2, Lith=1.

BDA_85
Youth Team Regular

Oct 17, 2018, 3:15 PM

Post #14 of 14 (608 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] England team. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've recently started following England. I love going on European trips and my club side have given up on trying to qualify for Europe, therefore England was my next best hope. I was out in Seville (shared some time with some Crewe fans) and didn't see any bother. Fortunately I read the EF forum to find out where everyone had published their drinking locations and chose somewhere else! Admittedly there are some idiots following England but for me I won't let a minority ruin a decent trip!

Last new ground (152): Olimpiyskiy National Sports Complex - Dynamo Kiev 4-0 Mariupol 11/11/18
Last game: Dynamo Kiev 4-0 Mariupol 11/11/18
Next game: Langford v Ampthill Town 17/11/18
Football seen in (19) countries: England, Scotland, Wales, Spain, Czech Republic, Italy, Belgium, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Republic of Ireland, Lithuania, Norway, Portugal, Russia, Sweden, USA & Ukraine

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3